University of Maryland Terrapins

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Turtles Lax

Senior Day omission. 😞

Post by Turtles Lax »

It has long been a Terrapin lacrosse tradition to honor seniors on their big day with an on field pre-game ceremony. During that ceremony they are individually recognized whilst accompanied by the parents/family members.

There was not one this year. 😡

TL
Cletus

Re: University of Maryland Terrapins

Post by Cletus »

One thing is for sure, this ain’t your granddad‘s Terrapins – last year or this. I have said it before and I will say it again, this is a young rebuilding team, in spite of the oft invisible seniors, and they are playing like a young rebuilding team. Every team has to go through it. No biggie, except for those deluded Terps fans who think the dynasty is their inherited right.

The Purple Gang is back on the throne in the Big 10. Read it and weep, Terps fans.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Swept by the Evil Empire and Penn State? Hard times livin down in College Park town these days. Yessiree Bob.
Turtles Lax

XXXXXXXXXX

Post by Turtles Lax »

THAT. WAS. AWFUL.

Hard to watch.

Not acceptable.

Daresay it was not a fun ride home.

Out.

TL

PS: Still TL’s Laxchix. ❤️
Will still be there Wednesday.

tl
Turtles Lax

Okay...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...off we go. DISCLAIMER: TL WAS IN ATTENDANCE BUT DEPARTED WITH 15 TO GO. (Had a hot date in Annapolis. 😉) FURTHER...have not yet viewed the telecast. That will be tomorrow.

First of all, TL noted some seriously ignorant comments in the other thread. (Look up ‘ignorant’ if you are somehow offended.)

The field is NCAA Lacrosse LEGAL. It is a multi-purpose venue shared with UMD Field Hockey. The surface was very recently replaced. 2019? There is no history of injuries associated with that surface. FACT. PERIOD! 🙄

In 20 plus seasons TL has never seen a ball leave the field (i.e. over the fence) on the spectator side. NEVER. And fans in previous years DO stand the along the fence line.
Also, TL has never, ever, ever seen a player hit the fence. There is sufficient room...maybe more than you think. Who knows? Maybe come to a game. 🙄

As noted, TL was there today. There WERE multiple balls available for play. That said, TL did witness a player (in first half) pry one from the fence. Another ball was nearby.

Back to the game... It is hard for TL to accept (nope, WRONG WORD) ‘recognize’ the fact the 2021 Terps are not as good as previous years’ teams.

They regularly throw the ball away. Unforced errors are abundant. Shooting is not good. (Weather may have been a factor today re: wet sticks/balls.) There was one shot today that had fans laughing. 🤦‍♂️

That is all.

Peace, out.

TL

PS: Major improvements to the Complex are in the works. Seriously. No lie. TL might be dead and gone by the time they are realized, but TL’s name will be seen in a component of the new facility. Also, no lie.

tl

PPS: TL’s Laxchix are forever ❤️‘ed. It is not just about the on field performance.

tl

tl
Cletus

Re: Okay...

Post by Cletus »

Turtles Lax wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:55 pm First of all, TL noted some seriously ignorant comments in the other thread. (Look up ‘ignorant’ if you are somehow offended.)
The field is NCAA Lacrosse LEGAL. It is a multi-purpose venue shared with UMD Field Hockey. The surface was very recently replaced. 2019? There is no history of injuries associated with that surface. FACT. PERIOD! 🙄
In 20 plus seasons TL has never seen a ball leave the field (i.e. over the fence) on the spectator side. NEVER. And fans in previous years DO stand the along the fence line.
Also, TL has never, ever, ever seen a player hit the fence. There is sufficient room...maybe more than you think. Who knows? Maybe come to a game. 🙄
As noted, TL was there today. There WERE multiple balls available for play. That said, TL did witness a player (in first half) pry one from the fence. Another ball was nearby.
You also stated on these boards earlier this season that you didn’t remember seeing a running clock on Maryland although it happened the previous season, and multiple times during the period you listed as having watched Maryland play.
Turtles Lax wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:55 pm Don’t get too excited at the prospect of the Evil Empire getting a running clock on TL’s Laxchix...particularly in the first half. :roll:

This is TL’s twenty-first (21st) season loving TL’s Terps and don’t recall a running clock on them ever.
So, your "TL has never, ever, ever seen" 's are weak.

Regulation, shmegulation. The flippin fence is too close to the field. It doesn’t take a yardstick, it takes the eye test. And I have to think plenty of players have hit that fence—whether you remember it or not. I don’t know the extent of anyone’s bumps and bruises but players have hit that fence.

DMac made some sound, common sense observations about the field:
DMac wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:22 pm Wouldn't put that field on my list of good places to play a competitive game, no way fences that close to the side and end lines doesn't affect your play.

and here:
DMac wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:27 pm That field is an accident waiting to happen. Too many places where you have to alter your game, slow down, be cautious. That's not conducive for competitive lacrosse. Great place for practicing all kinds of stuff but not for playing games.
Well said, DMac.

Also, the replenishment of lacrosse balls was shamefully neglected. A key game in the conference and there were no balls on the end line during crunch time. The great and storied Terps can’t be bothered to ensure enough balls on the field during a critical home game. Embarrassing.

The event you describe took place in the 2nd half (see pictures), unless it happened multiple times and also happened in the first. I don't see one ball along that endline, TL, do you? And Hop's Shelby Harrison, a young strong athlete, is going to tug and pull on a ball firmly lodged in the fence while there was one nearby!? Where is the ball nearby? Point it out to us. Stop it TL. Just, please--stop it.

It’s okay to acknowledge the program dropped the ball here. Doesn’t make you any less of a "fan", but it does damage your credibility going forward when you try to defend the team and their facility with willful ignorance. (Same definition you applied to those in the other thread, right? So no offense should be taken.)

Last edited by Cletus on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Obviously turtle shells don't make for good lenses for glasses as TL can't see the light of day through them. DMac didn't have to look up the definition of ignorant, and DMac is assuming that TL doesn't have to look up the definition of idiotic when DMac says TL's statements regarding player safety in TL's Laxchix half aszed complex are idiotic. The definition is on full display in the above provided photos as one day that will be a mangled hand or foot stuck in that fence. Then maybe TL will take those turtle shell glasses off and see what TL really sees rather than what TL wants to see. That is a dangerous place to play all out (you can not play all out at either end of that field), competitive, D1 level lacrosse and no turtle shell glasses will change that.
"The field is NCAA lacrosse legal". This is the definition of decision makers having their heads up their asz as they obviously didn't use the eye test to make that decision. This is legal too, what say TL have his Laxchix zip around on these babies? What could possibly go wrong there?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Imagine players trying this at College Park?

https://youtu.be/TxyxmNrxYbQ
DMac

Post by DMac »

Zactly.
That field is like playin' hoops at my house as a kid. After you banged yourself up a couple of times on the garage door on a drive to the hoop you learned how to play it and bounce off without doing too much damage to yourself. Definite home court advantage just as the Terps field is for the home team.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

DMac wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:39 am Zactly.
That field is like playin' hoops at my house as a kid. After you banged yourself up a couple of times on the garage door on a drive to the hoop you learned how to play it and bounce off without doing too much damage to yourself. Definite home court advantage just as the Terps field is for the home team.
Well at least they won't have home field advantage after this week anymore. :D
njbill

Post by njbill »

Least it’s not like the old Yankee Stadium where the monuments were in the field of play. :lol:
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxallday wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:59 am Well at least they won't have home field advantage after this week anymore. :D
That is a very nifty thing to note. 😉
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:02 am Least it’s not like the old Yankee Stadium where the monuments were in the field of play. :lol:
Any notable monument times you remember?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

njbill wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:02 am Least it’s not like the old Yankee Stadium where the monuments were in the field of play. :lol:
Weren't the monuments about 440 feet from the plate?
laxmom22

Post by laxmom22 »

I have watched many years of games at UMD’s FH/Lacrosse complex, not as many as TL but a lot. I have never seen anyone run into one of fences. I asked my husband and he looked at me like I was crazy. Not sure what the complaint could possibly be about that facility. I have been to a lot of other lacrosse facilities and never thought Maryland’s was inferior.
DMac

Post by DMac »

There is no way that a barrier that close to the end line doesn't alter one's play. No one has run into the fence because they've slowed down before they did. Unless you're willing to sacrifice your face to the fence, you can't go all out and/or dive to be closest to the ball on a past shot. It is not smart to have that kind of potential hazard that close to the playing field regardless of whether anyone has run into it...yet...or not.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Another misconception is that the proximity of the fence to the field has anything to do with "NCAA Lacrosse LEGAL" as it was put earlier. Some teams play in football stadiums. What makes a field "legal" are the dimensions of the playing field itself--not how far the fence is from the field. DMac was right. Whatever committee or board that gave the okay for the dimensions for that facility had their collective head up their tuckus.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Cletus wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:31 pm
Some guy named Babe something or other.
njbill

Post by njbill »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:32 pm
Weren't the monuments about 440 feet from the plate?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_ ... e_Stadium)
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:25 pm
Cletus wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:31 pm
Some guy named Babe something or other.
I should have been more clear. Was there ever a time during a game where the placement of the monuments affected a play or a game, etc.?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”