Rutgers 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WildPride

Re: Rutgers 2021

Post by WildPride »

Why is the Rutgers thread so quiet? This is an exciting team to watch!

Here's a quick Instagram clip (Villanova vs. Hopkins scrimmage Spring 2020) to get you fired up for the matchup with Hopkins tomorrow.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8IBrYLAC_g ... jsccxiitgx

I suspect Hopkins will make an adjustment and put their biggest defender on Connor Kirst. :lol:
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

If Rutgers wins face-offs 50% of any game, there are only 3 teams that can compete with them going forward. They lost FO again today but still beat Hopkins. Too many weapons and solid defensive effort.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

livelovelax wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:20 am If Rutgers wins face-offs 50% of any game, there are only 3 teams that can compete with them going forward. They lost FO again today but still beat Hopkins. Too many weapons and solid defensive effort.
Which 3 teams?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Pensky Material wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:59 am
livelovelax wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:20 am If Rutgers wins face-offs 50% of any game, there are only 3 teams that can compete with them going forward. They lost FO again today but still beat Hopkins. Too many weapons and solid defensive effort.
Which 3 teams?
Gonna guess he means MD, UNC, and Duke.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Yes, those three teams. All great teams. Rutgers would have to draw close to even on FOs if they want to beat those teams. But they have the other pieces in place to make a run deep into the NCAA's.
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

I just posted a comment on the hopkins site for the first time. I agree with your comments and with the only 3 teams that can match us this year. Thru covid year transfers, and the retention of Mullins and Charalambides for a final year, Rutgers lacrosse has arrived. It has always been about faceoffs and recruits. Brecht did not just become a very good coach overnight. If we make a run in the tourney, the recruiting floodgates will finally open for RU and a destination for the top high school players in the country. I have been waiting a long time for this season.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Expect a win. No excuses being at home. Just have to play four quarters this time.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Inspired start!!
bananas

Post by bananas »

cantrelax wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:21 pm Inspired start!!

In control then a Idiotic hit by Coyne. Fortunate that Maryland only got one on that unrealeasable. Have to be smarter.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Painful. Everything going well then gave Maryland a opening and they kicked the door in with seven straight goals before AC scores. 8-5 Terps.

Wish Bernhardt had stuck with football.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

bananas wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:01 pm Wish Bernhardt had stuck with football.
clear POY right now, everything he does looks effortless.
bananas

Post by bananas »

That is a back breaker. Knights battled but too many errors to win. Better team won.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Catbird wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:27 pm
Sowers and Gray might have something to say come year end, especially since they play OOC games.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:10 pm
Sowers and Gray might have something to say come year end, especially since they play OOC games.
Sowers and Gray OOC games were against the entire SoCon. Is scoring a bunch of points against Mercer, High Point, Air Force, and Jacksonville really what decides the POY? They may very well win it because they’re excellent players having excellent seasons but I hope a bunch of OOC games against the 50th-70th best teams in D1 aren’t the reason
bananas

Post by bananas »

Maybe they could split it. Sowers sped by his Cuse defender at will. .Gray strikes from everywhere . Bernhardt was defended fairly well by Jean -Felix but it didnt matter.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:18 pm
Sowers and Gray OOC games were against the entire SoCon. Is scoring a bunch of points against Mercer, High Point, Air Force, and Jacksonville really what decides the POY? They may very well win it because they’re excellent players having excellent seasons but I hope a bunch of OOC games against the 50th-70th best teams in D1 aren’t the reason
Just saying that a closed loop makes it a tough argument. Same reason kids from 70% of the D1 programs will never have a chance at the award, Baum was once in a century.

It’s as much an argument against as for and certainly nothing against Bernhardt, hes great. Completely out of control of the kids but this is how the leagues made their choices.

Not completely fair description of the other two either.

Sowers: 4 v Denver, 5 v Richmond, 6 v Towson (whomjust beat Loyola), 6 vs Cuse. Avg 5.5/gm on season...

Gray: 7 v Denver, 2 v Richmond, 5 v. Virginia. Averaging 6.5 so pretty close between UVA & Denver.

Richmond would probably be 3rd in big ten this year.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:25 pm
Just saying that a closed loop makes it a tough argument. Same reason kids from 70% of the D1 programs will never have a chance at the award, Baum was once in a century.

It’s as much an argument against as for and certainly nothing against Bernhardt, hes great. Completely out of control of the kids but this is how the leagues made their choices.

Not completely fair description of the other two either.

Sowers: 4 v Denver, 5 v Richmond, 6 v Towson (whomjust beat Loyola), 6 vs Cuse. Avg 5.5/gm on season...

Gray: 7 v Denver, 2 v Richmond, 5 v. Virginia. Averaging 6.5 so pretty close between UVA & Denver.

Richmond would probably be 3rd in big ten this year.
I never said Gray and Sowers don’t get points against good teams. I said that their OOC games were largely against crummy SoCon teams, which should not be a decider in who is the POY. Gray and Sowers have very good cases on their own that aren’t this continued silly “the Big Ten didn’t play OOC and the ACC did” when all the ACC played OOC was mediocre teams.

I also wouldn’t say at all that Richmond would be 3rd in the Big Ten. Their offense would be 4th in the B1G in offensive efficiency and that’s with 3 games against terrible defenses in VMI, Bellarmine, and High Point in there. In fact, that’s 3 of Richmond’s 4 wins against teams with a combined 7-17 record; 2 of the 3 worst defenses in D1 and 1 of the worst offenses in D1.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

You want your guy and he’s in the mix, not clear hands down as someone originally posted, and at a minimum that’s a tiebreaker. ACC plus Denver and Richmond would be a tiebreaker over BigTen and no other competition all else equal. That makes sense. Throw in how atrocious PSU and Mich are and OSU/Hop don’t look like top 20 teams and the strength of opponents which you are arguing starts to go against you. MD and Rutgers are very likely only teams above .500 as I see OSU ending 5-5.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:50 pm You want your guy and he’s in the mix, not clear hands down as someone originally posted, and at a minimum that’s a tiebreaker. ACC plus Denver and Richmond would be a tiebreaker over BigTen and no other competition all else equal. That makes sense. Throw in how atrocious PSU and Mich are and OSU/Hop don’t look like top 20 teams and the strength of opponents which you are arguing starts to go against you. MD and Rutgers are very likely only teams above .500 as I see OSU ending 5-5.
Where did I say I wanted Bernhardt to win it? Or that he should win it?
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Well....They don’t name the player of the year based on games to date......Sowers and Gray will play all the other top ACC teams and some twice. Maryland belongs in that top level group but not certain any other Big Teams are in the same class as the ACC top 3. Perhaps, not even the top 4.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”