Big 10 Women’s Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
aubartolomei

Re: Big 10 Women’s Lacrosse

Post by aubartolomei »

[/quote]
I swear student run broadcasts would be better.
[/quote]

Everything not on the main big network is student run.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Northwestern really made a statement with this blowout win. I pity the Little Turtles if the Wildcats play like this when Maryland comes to Evanston in a little over two weeks time for a back to back. I'm jumping the gun of course. I don't know if Penn St bounces back after that pummeling but if they do it's a whole different outlook in the Big T. Anyone think the Lions bounce back Saturday?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Cletus wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:20 pm Northwestern really made a statement with this blowout win. I pity the Little Turtles if the Wildcats play like this when Maryland comes to Evanston in a little over two weeks time for a back to back. I'm jumping the gun of course. I don't know if Penn St bounces back after that pummeling but if they do it's a whole different outlook in the Big T. Anyone think the Lions bounce back Saturday?
Northwestern is a very good team, top 4/5, they dominated a PSU team that was pretty overrated IMO...and I'm a PSU fan. I've said it a number of times, there is such a significant drop off after top 4/5 teams that you literally 5 - 20 are all interchangable.

PSU will continue to get better and are recruiting really well now after a couple of down years. I think they will be a legit top 10 team next year.

NU will breeze through the big10 schedule without much of a serious challenge.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

I was surprised at the margin of victory, but very illuminating re: B10 conference and level of play this season. I have been of the opinion that no one really realized how big a rebuilding challenge Maryland had last year ... which continues in 2021. Hard to see anyone challenging NU this year.
Cletus

Maryland at Northwestern

Post by Cletus »

The critical showdown in the Big 10 is still on the horizon. March 27th marks the scheduled first game of a back to back that will decide regular season supremacy. Maryland travels to Evanston for a Saturday and Monday series. Hopefully the games are played on Martin field as it should be warm enough outdoors by then. There are plenty of games in the Big 10 before then, but none as significant. Certainly the most anticipated matchup in the Big 10 regular season in '21. In one sense, the regular season games aren't ultimately critical because this post covid shutdown season has every team making the Big 10 tournament. But it should still be quite a struggle to claim the top spot in the Big 10 on the last weekend of March.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

The Big Ten continues to become more and more competitive. I believe in the next few years based on PSU recruiting and Michigan’s progress it will be very competitive. This years match between Northwestern and Maryland as well as the Big 10 tournament will tell us a lot. I don’t count Maryland out just yet as they will continue to bond as a team with great recruits finding their game. Hopefully they get a split in two weeks!
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Maryland75 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:09 pm The Big Ten continues to become more and more competitive. I believe in the next few years based on PSU recruiting and Michigan’s progress it will be very competitive. This years match between Northwestern and Maryland as well as the Big 10 tournament will tell us a lot. I don’t count Maryland out just yet as they will continue to bond as a team with great recruits finding their game. Hopefully they get a split in two weeks!
It seems that Michigan has a one dimensional offensive philosophy--take turns trying to go one on one and dodge to the goal for a scoring attempt. When they play another team that has a defensive scheme that snuffs out the one on ones, they have no plan B. The NCAA seems to have exploded with new talent coming from high school into the college ranks on so many teams. I see Rutgers getting better. Penn State, certainly. Ohio State is coming along with a new coach. I hope you're right Maryland--I hope the Big 10 does become more competitive in the next few years.
Itsallgood

Re: Maryland at Northwestern

Post by Itsallgood »

Cletus wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:38 am The critical showdown in the Big 10 is still on the horizon. March 27th marks the scheduled first game of a back to back that will decide regular season supremacy. Maryland travels to Evanston for a Saturday and Monday series. Hopefully the games are played on Martin field as it should be warm enough outdoors by then. There are plenty of games in the Big 10 before then, but none as significant. Certainly the most anticipated matchup in the Big 10 regular season in '21. In one sense, the regular season games aren't ultimately critical because this post covid shutdown season has every team making the Big 10 tournament. But it should still be quite a struggle to claim the top spot in the Big 10 on the last weekend of March.
Do you think KAH will be salivating at the thought of letting her Wildcats run wild after the Terps tattooed them with 25 goals in the 2019 NCAA semifinals ( the last time these 2 teams met ) I’m seeing running clock in the first half ! I know NU needs work on D but you don’t play D when you always have the ball.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Itsallgood wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm Do you think KAH will be salivating at the thought of letting her Wildcats run wild after the Terps tattooed them with 25 goals in the 2019 NCAA semifinals ( the last time these 2 teams met ) I’m seeing running clock in the first half ! I know NU needs work on D but you don’t play D when you always have the ball.
I sure hope everything you touched on here comes to pass—for Both games. Nothing would please me better than to see what you described take place.
Turtles Lax

Don’t get your hopes up!

Post by Turtles Lax »

Don’t get too excited at the prospect of the Evil Empire getting a running clock on TL’s Laxchix...particularly in the first half. :roll:

This is TL’s twenty-first (21st) season loving TL’s Terps and don’t recall a running clock on them ever. (Not saying it hasn’t happened and will do a bit of research.)

As noted herein before, there is no love lost between the Terps and the Wildcats and both will score as many as they can...whenever they can. No such thing as running it up; both Coach Cathy and Coach Amonte-Hiller understand what can happen...and they will make it happen if they can.

True fans of both teams understand the rivalry; more importantly, players do, too. 8-)

Peace, out.

TL
Itsallgood wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm
Do you think KAH will be salivating at the thought of letting her Wildcats run wild after the Terps tattooed them with 25 goals in the 2019 NCAA semifinals ( the last time these 2 teams met ) I’m seeing running clock in the first half ! I know NU needs work on D but you don’t play D when you always have the ball.
[/quote]
Cletus

Re: Don’t get your hopes up!

Post by Cletus »

Turtles Lax wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:55 pm Don’t get too excited at the prospect of the Evil Empire getting a running clock on TL’s Laxchix...particularly in the first half. :roll:

This is TL’s twenty-first (21st) season loving TL’s Terps and don’t recall a running clock on them ever. (Not saying it hasn’t happened and will do a bit of research.)
I know you blocked it out of your mind TL, but last year the Tar Heels kicked the everloving crap out of the little turtles to the tune of 19-6. (I use little turtles because that's exactly what a Terrapin is--a very little turtle.)

Highlights of the massacre here:

https://youtu.be/5ZyEjIH7THA
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

I’m not sure I buy into comparing last years Terp’s to this tears version. I think Maryland looks better this year but like almost every other team except UNC, Syracuse and Northwestern they are showing the absence of fall ball as well as the reduction in games played. Maryland has the talent to compete and I look forward to improvement. I don’t see a running clock but I do anticipate a lot of goals on both sides. I think Maryland is due for an offensive explosion. I only hope it’s enough to off set the Wildcats normal scoring efficiency.
Laxhead44

Post by Laxhead44 »

Turtles Lax wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:55 pm Don’t get too excited at the prospect of the Evil Empire getting a running clock on TL’s Laxchix...particularly in the first half. :roll:

As noted herein before, there is no love lost between the Terps and the Wildcats and both will score as many as they can...whenever they can. No such thing as running it up; both Coach Cathy and Coach Amonte-Hiller understand what can happen...and they will make it happen if they can.

True fans of both teams understand the rivalry; more importantly, players do, too. 8-)

Peace, out.

TL
Itsallgood wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm
The Tar Heels had a running clock on Terps just last February of 2020
[/quote]
DMac

Post by DMac »

As evidenced here, we humans have a way of blocking out traumatic experiences.
Turtles Lax

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Post by Turtles Lax »

TL totally forgot last year’s debacle.

Good catch. No worries; last year doesn’t count. :lol:

But in case anyone is wondering, that loss is listed in Laxchix stats.

But with that said, if historical records are intact, TL’s Laxchix remain Natty Champs. :D

Peace, out.

TL
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Turtles Lax wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:55 pm This is TL’s twenty-first (21st) season loving TL’s Terps and don’t recall a running clock on them ever. (Not saying it hasn’t happened and will do a bit of research.)
21 years eh? I went back and did a little combing and found a 14-4 loss to Cornell back in 2002. In 2005 Princeton attained a running clock on the LT’s before 2 late garbage goals (the last by one Acacia Walker) brought the deficit back to 8. After I found those I stopped looking. I’m glad stats were kept but I feel like so much of recent women’s lacrosse history is lost. For instance, try finding some highlights of Sheehan Stanwick when she romped and stomped for Georgetown. And many other players in the first part of the 21st century have no highlights to commemorate their careers. But I digress. Turtles done been run clock on before. (Came up with that syntax just for you, LT.)
Cletus

Looking into the "lean years" for the Terps

Post by Cletus »

I did a little more digging and found two more games where the Terps endured the humiliation of a running clock in the "lean years" (which might be limited to 2002 through 2009 when the Terps won no national championships). Both times it was against arch nemesis Virginia. 3/8/05 in 15-8 loss (in which they trailed 13-3 at one point) and again in a 15-4 loss on 3/13/07.

I found some other interesting shtuff while digging, like teams Maryland used to lose to on a regular basis during the 2000-2012 period were:

Virginia ll**ll*ll*llll*l* = 11 losses
Duke lllllll**l = 8 losses
NC lll*ll**l**l = 7 losses
Princeton llll**l = 5 losses
GTown ll**ll = 4 losses
NU lll**l** = 4 losses

* Conference tournament bounce
** NCAA Tournament bounce

Some of the "lean years" (as lean years go for Maryland)
2002 11-10
2005 12-7
2006 12-8
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Itsallgood wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm Do you think KAH will be salivating at the thought of letting her Wildcats run wild after the Terps tattooed them with 25 goals in the 2019 NCAA semifinals ( the last time these 2 teams met ) I’m seeing running clock in the first half ! I know NU needs work on D but you don’t play D when you always have the ball.
I don't think a running clock is that farfetched. I don't predict one, but I won't be shocked if the Cats achieve a running clock at some point in this 2 game series in Evanston. NU got the clock running on top 10 ranked Penn State who beat Maryland earlier this year. What would be so impossible about them being able to do the same thing to the Terps?
Cletus

Northwestern hosts Maryland for two this weekend

Post by Cletus »

The huge matchup this weekend is a two game series pitting Northwestern against Maryland. This is one of those matchups where I can’t help getting emotionally involved. I love to see Maryland lose. I especially like when the Terps get blown out and humiliated. There’s nothing like a fan base that is used to winning getting some humble pie crammed down their collective gullet. Stops their chest-pounding for a little while. Odd setup where the first game is Saturday and the 2nd on Monday early afternoon. Looking forward to being front and center for both. Go Wildcats!
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

NU has been waiting for this game for almost two years. They're confident and chomping at the bit. I seriously doubt MD can keep either match out of running time for more than 45 minutes. Hoping for a Scane-Colson matchup!
Cletus wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:28 am Odd setup where the first game is Saturday and the 2nd on Monday early afternoon. Looking forward to being front and center for both.
Does that mean you're attending in-person??

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”