Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
Farfromgeneva

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by Farfromgeneva »

On grapeseed I don’t remember, a legit well known chef told me it once when I was at a restaurant week steak and bourbon event in NYC many years ago. Have long forgotten the logic/rationale but it’s worked. I used to and still use olive oil mostly but for certain lighter stuff like sauntering it seems to work incredibly well. Can look up a more technical answer or if you know any strong culinary folks maybe they can explain better.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:05 am On grapeseed I don’t remember, a legit well known chef told me it once when I was at a restaurant week steak and bourbon event in NYC many years ago. Have long forgotten the logic/rationale but it’s worked. I used to and still use olive oil mostly but for certain lighter stuff like sauntering it seems to work incredibly well. Can look up a more technical answer or if you know any strong culinary folks maybe they can explain better.
Sorry, I was not clear first time. Curious, why the avoidance of bacon fat.....I assume it is the marginal added grams of cholesterol and extra sodium?.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Mostly I don’t trust my kids around it if left over time. Could easily seeing my boy try to drink it.

Until about a year ago I was getting to the gym 3-5 days a week and min 20mi of running/week for 15yrs solid no exceptions even with travel sometimes the hotel workouts being lighter. Are predominantly white meat and little to no fried foods. More recently I’ve gotten on my kids diet so besides gaining 20lbs and getting severely out of shape I’ve eaten more frozen pizza and Doritos than I had in the prior two decades effectively since college. So no, today the fat, while not ideal, isn’t the biggest issue now even though I need to get back into my more traditional routine. It’s the storage that is the issue for me. Hence I’ll occasionally use it for making eggs/omelette, French toast, etc in our griddle after cooking bacon or something like that but
DMac

Post by DMac »

How to Save Bacon Grease
Luckily, Grandma’s secret trick isn’t hard to master. Here’s what to do:

Step 1: Cook your bacon to perfection. (Psst… Check out our do’s and don’ts for getting your strips just right.)

Step 2: Let the bacon fat cool in the pan as you scarf down your breakfast.

Step 3: Once the greasy goodness has started to solidify, scoop up the remains with a spatula and stow it in a tin or jar for safe keeping. Some people store their bacon in a cool, dark space underneath their sinks (really!) but the refrigerator is also suitable.[/b

How Long Can Bacon Grease Last?
The jury is still out on that. While some people say it’s good for up to a year, others argue that it goes bad after a few weeks’ time.

Our advice is to check in on your grease every few weeks—and toss it out if it smells questionable (try these other tricks, too). For best results, strain the grease to remove any bacon bits that can speed up the spoiling process.

Now the only thing left to do is figure out how you’ll use your leftover bacon grease. We have some ideas…
Wouldn't worry about the kids drinking it, really doesn't look drinkable once it's cooled down. Bacon fat is pretty safe to store for quite awhile in or out of the fridge.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:23 pm
How to Save Bacon Grease
Luckily, Grandma’s secret trick isn’t hard to master. Here’s what to do:

Step 1: Cook your bacon to perfection. (Psst… Check out our do’s and don’ts for getting your strips just right.)

Step 2: Let the bacon fat cool in the pan as you scarf down your breakfast.

Step 3: Once the greasy goodness has started to solidify, scoop up the remains with a spatula and stow it in a tin or jar for safe keeping. Some people store their bacon in a cool, dark space underneath their sinks (really!) but the refrigerator is also suitable.[/b

How Long Can Bacon Grease Last?
The jury is still out on that. While some people say it’s good for up to a year, others argue that it goes bad after a few weeks’ time.

Our advice is to check in on your grease every few weeks—and toss it out if it smells questionable (try these other tricks, too). For best results, strain the grease to remove any bacon bits that can speed up the spoiling process.

Now the only thing left to do is figure out how you’ll use your leftover bacon grease. We have some ideas…
Wouldn't worry about the kids drinking it, really doesn't look drinkable once it's cooled down. Bacon fat is pretty safe to store for quite awhile in or out of the fridge.
I use a small mason type jar, and keep it in the fridge. Typically discard every six months and start again. You can certainly smell it when it begins to age a bit too long.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Maybe I’ll try that when I have some ideas for something that could be enhanced by it then. I like to cook and so does my son, probably bc he grew up w me cooking, my wife microwaves frozen chicken nuggets and stuff like that where I learned by messing up after my parents divorced and my mom was doing grad school in Ithaca after work for a couple of years.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

baked a pineapple upside down pie which you are supposed to turn up but decided to keep it upside down - tastes just as good with my morning coffee :)
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

My TLD (Truly Lovely Deal) post for the day. ;)
Sell by 1-11...I'm cool wif dat.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Lamb Burgers and sinsemilla at DMacs this weekend!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Those lamb chops would go great with a nice risotto, cast iron parmesan - garlic brussel sprouts, and a glass of malbec.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Cooked in bacon fat right!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

:lol: Bacon makes everything taste better. ;)
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:12 pm :lol: Bacon makes everything taste better. ;)
Hell yeah!

I went to this Red event hosted by Tom Colicchio (from one of the chef shows and owner of a number of restaurants) and Jess Jackson of Kendall Jackson at a place in the Meatpacking district called Craft (don’t get the bone marrow that stuff is nasty). Forget how awesome the dessert of red hot flavored/infused ice cream on red velvet cake and bourbon for dessert or the dope dinner, the pre meal happy hour or whatever they called it had a bunch of apps including kobe burgers but had three types of flavored bacon, one of which was bourbon flavored bacon. They also had a bacon infused bourbon. I to this day don’t know which one was between the B-Bacon or the B-Bourbon.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://womiowensboro.com/vienetta-the- ... s-is-back/

Viennetta makes a comeback

There is just something about the crunchy chocolate ripples in the middle of vanilla ice cream that makes you walk a little taller.

The treat actually wasn't made here in the United States but over in Europe and it is still in the freezer section in the country today. According to Unilever.com.uk; It was made by a guy named Kevin Hillman who worked for Wall's Ice Cream in 1981. Viennetta made its way onto the scene in the Christmas season of 1982.

Now, this wasn't the type of ice cream treat you just went to the store and bought and ate on a random Thursday night. It was definitely a special occasion treat and you didn't just sit around and snack on it, you savored every little morsel.

According to a press release from Unilever which owns both Breyers who used to produce and Good Humor who will now produce; They will be producing 25 new treats in 2021.

Just to name a few of the treats;

Klondike Wake Me Up Coffee Donuts (all the coffee lovers are drooling)
Breyers Coconut Fudge Breeze (Chad is going to go crazy over this)
Breyers REESE'S Peanut Butter Snack Cups (Reese's fans OMG)
Carb Smart options (So many Americans are watching carbs)
Breyers Chocolate Pretzel Swirl (For those that like salty and sweet YASSS)

Viennetta The 'Fancy' Ice Cream Cake From The 90's Is BACK! | https://womiowensboro.com/vienetta-the- ... m=referral
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:00 pm https://womiowensboro.com/vienetta-the- ... s-is-back/

Viennetta makes a comeback

There is just something about the crunchy chocolate ripples in the middle of vanilla ice cream that makes you walk a little taller.

The treat actually wasn't made here in the United States but over in Europe and it is still in the freezer section in the country today. According to Unilever.com.uk; It was made by a guy named Kevin Hillman who worked for Wall's Ice Cream in 1981. Viennetta made its way onto the scene in the Christmas season of 1982.

Now, this wasn't the type of ice cream treat you just went to the store and bought and ate on a random Thursday night. It was definitely a special occasion treat and you didn't just sit around and snack on it, you savored every little morsel.

According to a press release from Unilever which owns both Breyers who used to produce and Good Humor who will now produce; They will be producing 25 new treats in 2021.

Just to name a few of the treats;

Klondike Wake Me Up Coffee Donuts (all the coffee lovers are drooling)
Breyers Coconut Fudge Breeze (Chad is going to go crazy over this)
Breyers REESE'S Peanut Butter Snack Cups (Reese's fans OMG)
Carb Smart options (So many Americans are watching carbs)
Breyers Chocolate Pretzel Swirl (For those that like salty and sweet YASSS)

Viennetta The 'Fancy' Ice Cream Cake From The 90's Is BACK! | https://womiowensboro.com/vienetta-the- ... m=referral
You love desserts and sweets don’t you? Got a secret for avoiding diabetes I don’t know about?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:51 am
You love desserts and sweets don’t you? Got a secret for avoiding diabetes I don’t know about?

Have to confess that the thought of that dreaded condition has entered my mind more than once. Get tested every year just in case and once again was well within the blood sugar threshold for some one of my rather advanced age. One thing's for sure, I never use sugar in my morning coffee and became a teetotaler late in life so the total sugar content in my food is not quite as high as it may appear.

Got my fingers crossed in the hope that this will remain unchanged for a long time to come.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I was half kidding in the observation of your affinity for sweets (though I admit I had some pleasant thoughts of eating upside down or rightside pineapple cake with coffee on a leisurely weekend morning outside though in warmer weather than even we have in Atlanta now in my mind).

But yeah we can’t all eat like MMA champs all the time so just need to maintain healthy other habits in general etc
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Trust me when I say that I appreciate the observation. Health is precious and, indeed, I take every precaution possible to eat well balanced meals. This is especially important in this day and age of unseen hazards in the air.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Am taking your advice, Brook, just ate some of those lamb chops, baked potato (sour cream, of course), fresh spinach....crazy good! No sensimilia (Chuckles appetizer though...50 mg :mrgreen: )
Never screwed around with lamb until not all that long ago. Don't remember ever having it at home growing up, somehow it's pretty much escaped me. Not as if I never had it (had some while in Greece) just never became something I thought about when thinking about things/meals to make. Stuff is from the gods. Cooked 'em in garlic butter (couple of cut up garlic cloves heated up with the butter, then removed), salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme on the chops (seasoned well in advance and brought to room temp long before cooking....gotta love that part, eh, Mr secreta?). Mighty tasty is really understating it.
There were four packs of those 50% lambie chops, grabbed all four of them. Then felt a little gluttonous/guilty, thought I should let someone else enjoy some too, put two back. I really phucked up, damn! ;)
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:54 pm Am taking your advice, Brook, just ate some of those lamb chops, baked potato (sour cream, of course), fresh spinach....crazy good! No sensimilia (Chuckles appetizer though...50 mg :mrgreen: )
Never screwed around with lamb until not all that long ago. Don't remember ever having it at home growing up, somehow it's pretty much escaped me. Not as if I never had it (had some while in Greece) just never became something I thought about when thinking about things/meals to make. Stuff is from the gods. Cooked 'em in garlic butter (couple of cut up garlic cloves heated up with the butter, then removed), salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme on the chops (seasoned well in advance and brought to room temp long before cooking....gotta love that part, eh, Mr secreta?). Mighty tasty is really understating it.
There were four packs of those 50% lambie chops, grabbed all four of them. Then felt a little gluttonous/guilty, thought I should let someone else enjoy some too, put two back. I really phucked up, damn! ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”