Syracuse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Bart

Re: Syracuse

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:15 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:30 pm
Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:29 pm
8meterPA wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:25 pm it appears that some may have forgotten that the championship game was a Ortega pipe shot away from having a different outcome.
That's speaks to Hall's excellence as a goalie. She played the angle so well, all she left Ortega was the pipe.
Stop it! Hall is NOT an excellent goalie. She's 69th in rankings with a Sv. Pct. just over 40(.402). In no athletic world(other than Baseball) does that equal excellence. HOWEVER, if you want to lower the standards for female goalies(at best, that's sexist. At worst, it's a cute way of saying "that's how girls play"), then you just did.
Rachel Hall had two good games...and they happen to come in the Final Four and the Final, thus her team won their first National Championship. Good for her and her team, but that doesn't make her great.

Wanna argue with me? Go look up her individual stats this season and tell me I know nothing.
It was a joke, Larry. You never heard that one before? In NHL circles it's a funny thing to say anytime a player hits the post. It works just as well in lacrosse.

Lighten up, m'boy! You gotta get a little fun outta life!
Poe’s Law…..
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I realize we're on the Syracuse topic but it sometimes happens on FL that we digress and topics bleed over into other topics. But that's cool--we go with the flow, man.

I watched the game over again yesterday. Another thing that struck me was BC's aggression. Anyone knows that to beat the best one must stay aggressive with a minimum of mistakes. BC did that throughout the game--especially on defense. The young BC defense of Scales, Schleicher, Roman, Welch, et al. shutdown Carolina. They held the high scoring Heels to a mere 10 goals and never showed they were in awe of Ortega, Hoeg, etc.

They wanted it more as well. As evidence I submit the goal the Eagles scored with 12 seconds left in the first half to take an 8-5 lead into the locker room. They stayed aggressive and didn't take the conservative approach to protect the ball with 30 seconds left.

In rewatching the game, I forgot how Carolina self-destructed (à la Syracuse) when they took two yellow cards in the final seconds of play (1:17 and :52) to help BC seal the game--hence the correct usage of the term "Choke"

They were the veteran team that was supposed to be calm and collected during crunch time. But it was the young upstart BC Eagles who showed poise and kept their composure while NC was cracking.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Cletus wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:58 am I realize we're on the Syracuse topic but it sometimes happens on FL that we digress and topics bleed over into other topics. But that's cool--we go with the flow, man.

I watched the game over again yesterday. Another thing that struck me was BC's aggression. Anyone knows that to beat the best one must stay aggressive with a minimum of mistakes. BC did that throughout the game--especially on defense. The young BC defense of Scales, Schleicher, Roman, Welch, et al. shutdown Carolina. They held the high scoring Heels to a mere 10 goals and never showed they were in awe of Ortega, Hoeg, etc.

They wanted it more as well. As evidence I submit the goal the Eagles scored with 12 seconds left in the first half to take an 8-5 lead into the locker room. They stayed aggressive and didn't take the conservative approach to protect the ball with 30 seconds left.

In rewatching the game, I forgot how Carolina self-destructed (à la Syracuse) when they took two yellow cards in the final seconds of play (1:17 and :52) to help BC seal the game--hence the correct usage of the term "Choke"

They were the veteran team that was supposed to be calm and collected during crunch time. But it was the young upstart BC Eagles who showed poise and kept their composure while NC was cracking.
trolling really hard this morning, eh? :lol: :lol:
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I seem to remember a certain somebody suggesting the best way to deal with a troll is to ignore them. That way they will eventually tire and go away. New tack?
Bart

Post by Bart »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:06 am
Cletus wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:58 am I realize we're on the Syracuse topic but it sometimes happens on FL that we digress and topics bleed over into other topics. But that's cool--we go with the flow, man.

trolling really hard this morning, eh? :lol: :lol:
I think I know who your role model is...................... :lol: :lol:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Trolling.

North Carolina did not choke. YCs happen when you need possession. Part of the game. This narrative -- that UNC choked -- does nothing but diminish what the BC kids and staff accomplished, and simply continues the senseless trolling that is your effort to provoke discussion. It's tedious.

BC played UNC three times, and was 1-2. The kids and the staff learned how to stay with UNC and reduce UNC chances, and BC got a very good game from its goalie in game three, the NCAA Semifinal. There was nothing risky about taking the ball to the cage with possession at the end of the first half. BC is up 7-5; no matter what it goes into the locker room ahead 7-5, 8-5 or worst case scenario 7-6. Any decision to try to score with 30 seconds left was smart, reasonable, and not especially aggressive.
Lacrossetheworld

Post by Lacrossetheworld »

Kayla Treanor is appointed as new coach.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Lacrossetheworld wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:07 am Kayla Treanor is appointed as new coach.
Didn’t see her leaving BC after winning a national championship but definitely not mad about this. Congrats Kayla and Cuse!!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Lacrossetheworld wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:07 am Kayla Treanor is appointed as new coach.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Bart

Post by Bart »

OK Laxfan500 we'll just say you owe me those gummy's ;) ;)
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:24 am
You approve, I gather?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

glaxer24 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:15 am
Didn’t see her leaving BC after winning a national championship but definitely not mad about this. Congrats Kayla and Cuse!!
How do you think she’ll do? Has there ever been a first year head coach who took the team to Championship Weekend?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Bart wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:31 am
Writing was on wall with Alumni pressure to hire a former "Orange"....I think the backlash from the idea of JS was the deciding factor. I was wrong. I admit it.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:18 am As was said by someone else in one thread or another, because Gait was such a laid back coach, it would have been difficult to bring in Spallina who is more of a disciplined, structured coach. Or they'll bring someone in (permanently) who will do things the way Gait did and there will be more laid back undisciplined play. So either way, it will be a tall order for Syracuse to get back to championship weekend, let alone win the whole thing.

Syracuse winning a national championship in 2022? I don't see it.
Now I really don’t see it. Not even the estimable Catherine Reese was able to take her Terps to Memorial Day until her 3rd year.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Wow.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com//article ... oach/58118

"Assistant coaches Sydney Pirecca and Caitlin Defliese are anticipated to remain on staff alongside Treanor for the 2021-22 season...."
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Excellent movie reference. The cabin building scene is one of my five favorite in motion picture history. (The barn raising scene in Witness is close behind.)

Congrats to Kayla. Perfect choice.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:12 am
Excellent movie reference. The cabin building scene is one of my five favorite in motion picture history. (The barn raising scene in Witness is close behind.)

Congrats to Kayla. Perfect choice.
Barn raising in Witness. Great scene in a great movie. Never saw Jeremiah Johnson. I might have to look it up now...
DMac

Post by DMac »

After sitting and waiting this is how I felt when I heard the news.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5OM1QQinT4
WELCOME BACK, KAYLA, WE ARE SOOOOOOOOO HAPPY TO HAVE YOU!!!!
She thinks like Gary, I love that.
DMac said the next HC for Cuse wlax would be a female...and what a
good one!!!
Bart

Post by Bart »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:44 am
Bart wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:31 am
Writing was on wall with Alumni pressure to hire a former "Orange"....I think the backlash from the idea of JS was the deciding factor. I was wrong. I admit it.
Lots of assumptions in that post. I was just joshing you.
hofstrapride1

Post by hofstrapride1 »

So much for the previous reports of her turning down job.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”