Which Program Will Win The Most National Titles This Upcoming Decade?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: Which Program Will Win The Most National Titles This Upcoming Decade?

Post by pcowlax »

BigTom4 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:30 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:52 am
no one in the acc is scared of duke.
I wouldn't be so sure about that :lol:
Show them some Brennan O'Neill highlights and ask again. :shock:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

pcowlax wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:51 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:52 am no one in the acc is scared of duke.
is he playing against college guys in those videos of highlights/his best plays on the year? he won't be going against 175 pound defensemen in college.
will he get 85 points his frosh year? doubt it. 60-65+? probably with sowers there. they'll have a very good attack. isn't williams a lefty? doesn't set up perfectly for them, though they'll probably figure it out.
will their d be what it has been the last number of years? van raaphorst gone, giles-harris soon to be.. who knows? faceoffs are ok but don't set the world on fire.
duke will probably bump their goals up to the 14-16 range from the 12 or 13 it's been of late. they might need to.
unc probably will, with alex gray. i think gray might've had 65 points in like 5 games this year. he's also got 2 years left.
uva probably scores in the 14+ range as well. most of the guys that were on the field winning a national championship 2 years prior will still be playing.
you might have heard syracuse has a couple guys. i think they were #1 as the '20 season closed and many of their seniors will run it again.
notre dame, outside of sowers, might be winning the transfer sweepstakes and if there's a preseason underdog i guess it's them. their biggest needs were fo and scoring, and they got the best fo guy probably and a guy who was on pace to score over 60 goals. and more defense. and they're the underdog.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:52 am
BigTom4 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:35 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:55 pm
BigTom4 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:37 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:31 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:56 am I think the Duke transfer thing is getting a bit overblown. Not like other teams weren't interested in Sowers. If UNC had won his services would we be talking about them forming an unstoppable juggernaut for the next decade? Duke just happened to win the sweepstakes. As far as Adler goes—Duke needed a goalie. Both of their guys were below 50% this year, and as the saying goes, if you have two goalies, you have no goalies. The FOGO transfer I can't quite reconcile—they already had a pretty good one with several years of eligibility left, in addition to a five-star recruit coming in at the position—but I don't think he really moves the needle either way. It's true that Duke's business school sets them up well in the transfer market but I'm not sure how likely it is that they have as much success in the offseasons to come as they did in this particular one. These things have a tendency to even themselves out. I agree with the notion that recruits might start looking the other way if there exists a perception that Dano is only interested in stacking his team with one-year mercenaries for the foreseeable future rather than investing in his young home-grown talent.
Also, I'm curious, what teams will have defenses that will match up well vs. Duke and some of the teams loading up on offensive players, like UVA and Maryland. JHU will be tough to stop with a healthy Epstein. There will be a lot of good teams next year, but Sowers is gone after that. Nothing is guaranteed with recruits.
Not saying it's guaranteed, just saying they are in the best position to pick off the top business minded Ivy League seniors for the next three years.

Could easily see someone like in Chris Fake 2021, Sam Handley in 2022, and Mike Long in 2023 making their way down to Durham for one last shot at a championship.

You are naive if you think this year will be an isolated event.
as the poster above says, nd, uva and unc have similar programs. and they're all in the same conference.
personally, don't think even a sowers led duke is going to find the acc a walk in the park next year. or after.
They aren't similar programs, that is the point.

ND's b school is barely breaking the top 30 while Duke is top 15. (Plus you get better weather while avoiding getting yelled at by Corrigan ;) )

UVA has the best b school of the bunch, but they won't take students straight out of undergrad, so its not an option for 5th years.

UNC is probably the closest comparable, but they haven't shown the same willingness to let waves of 5th year lacrosse players in.
https://poetsandquants.com/specialized- ... ed-master/
bertrand i heard is in the one year b school.

notre dame has arguably the best alumni network in the country, and has a 1 year business degree.

none of these schools will likely ever offer waves. they'll be precise. including the blue devils.
no one in the acc is scared of duke.
I'm not on the "Duke is gonna win every single title and there's almost nothing you can to do stop it" train - they had won 3 titles in 5 years after '14 and no one expected it to stop and then they missed the F4 from 15-17; also, I'm not certain they're clearly better than the other 2-3 teams in their orbit - but they've made the Final Four in two consecutive years and the only other ACC school to make one with their current group of players is Virginia, and Duke still was 5 secs away from beating them in the F4 last year. They've been the class of the conference for most of the last two years and look to be it again this coming year.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ok. everybody's got their perspective. lies, damned lies and statistics. often you can spin them any way.

in '19, they were 2 and 2 in the conference and lost in the acc tourney semis to nd. 2 and 3 pre-nc$$. they did get to the semis and actually should've put the game away in the final minutes. but also beat 2 teams by one to get there including one in ot, so maybe one of the 2 teams' time was up?

in '18, they were 3 and 1 and then lost in the acc tourney semis to nd. 3 and 2. they did get to the finals in the nc$$.
getting hopkins helped.

ftr, in those 3 previous years, they were a combined 7 and 9 in the acc games they played.

it's possible they were lighter on offense in 2020 than usual with robertson's injury. they'll have plenty of guys coming up in '21 plus. we'll see.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:11 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:51 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:52 am no one in the acc is scared of duke.
is he playing against college guys in those videos of highlights/his best plays on the year? he won't be going against 175 pound defensemen in college.
will he get 85 points his frosh year? doubt it. 60-65+? probably with sowers there. they'll have a very good attack. isn't williams a lefty? doesn't set up perfectly for them, though they'll probably figure it out.
will their d be what it has been the last number of years? van raaphorst gone, giles-harris soon to be.. who knows? faceoffs are ok but don't set the world on fire.
duke will probably bump their goals up to the 14-16 range from the 12 or 13 it's been of late. they might need to.
unc probably will, with alex gray. i think gray might've had 65 points in like 5 games this year. he's also got 2 years left.
uva probably scores in the 14+ range as well. most of the guys that were on the field winning a national championship 2 years prior will still be playing.
you might have heard syracuse has a couple guys. i think they were #1 as the '20 season closed and many of their seniors will run it again.
notre dame, outside of sowers, might be winning the transfer sweepstakes and if there's a preseason underdog i guess it's them. their biggest needs were fo and scoring, and they got the best fo guy probably and a guy who was on pace to score over 60 goals. and more defense. and they're the underdog.
All good points. Might want to watch those O'Neill tapes again though. Is he playing against college guys? No. Is he a college guy? No. Is he playing against like future D1 college all-american D? Yes, yes he is with St. A's schedule. He led Long island in points as an 8TH GRADER. I agree nobody should be scared of Duke's D. Anyone who has watched enough Sowers and O'Neill games (not highlight tapes) though and is being honest with themselves should be terrified of that O.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”