Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by AreaLax »

Last freshman starting goalie was Phipps. He had to start because Alford was not cleared to play from an off-season operation and Cater was hurt right before the season opening game. Once Alford was cleared, think in April, then he took over lead goalie. Cottle had to find a backup for Phipps.
Cottle red-shirted Amato his last season as HC.

You have to way back to find the next freshman goalie. Would be very surprised if NcNaney did know he would most likely red-shirt.

Maryland usually carries 4 goalie since that time when Phipps got thrown into the net.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

Giving up a Georgetown degree to play lacrosse at Maryland. Wow.
harflax

Post by harflax »

The Maryland degree is serving Terp lacrosse graduates quite well in the job market.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

I’m sure it is - but - Georgetown is - well - Georgtown. Exclusive club.
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

SkipPass wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:12 pm I’m sure it is - but - Georgetown is - well - Georgtown. Exclusive club.
Very interesting statement. Could you tell us why a GU degree is better than one from UM? Do you have any metrics to show that? And why do you claim that GU is an "exclusive club?" Perhaps because of cost? GU has an undergraduate enrollment of almost 7,500 students; that doesn't make it more exclusive than a public university...
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

I know someone (non-athlete) who transferred out of Georgetown after her frosh year; no regrets. The place isn't for everyone.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Depends on the School. At UMD, Clark Engineering and Smith Business are very highly regarded and a real value when you consider tuition. Just depends on the students field if study
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

MD compared to G'town :roll:
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

I know someone who’s kid recently graduated from G’town and that kid did several of their classes at Maryland and transferred them to G’town.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

oldjayfan wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:27 pm MD compared to G'town :roll:

I’d rather have my ear chewed by Elizabeth Warren for a week than read another bitter Hopkins fan lurking on another team’s board claiming ‘school A is better than School B’ just because! Such is the state of JHU’s program. 😂
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

NoLeft wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:18 pm
SkipPass wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:12 pm I’m sure it is - but - Georgetown is - well - Georgtown. Exclusive club.
Very interesting statement. Could you tell us why a GU degree is better than one from UM? Do you have any metrics to show that? And why do you claim that GU is an "exclusive club?" Perhaps because of cost? GU has an undergraduate enrollment of almost 7,500 students; that doesn't make it more exclusive than a public university...

Exactly. What a tired trope that School A is better than School B because, well, umm, dunno, USNEWS and World Report or something. Nothing is more brain dead than thinking one school is permanently superior to another school.

For the record, Georgetown employs some fanatical lunatic birdbrain professors who grade their kids according to political leaning. Good luck with that long term! 🇺🇸
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

Your are kidding yourself if u think the kid with the degree from an Ivy, Georgetown, Duke, etc. doesn’t go right to the top of the resume pile.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

SkipPass wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:45 pm Your are kidding yourself if u think the kid with the degree from an Ivy, Georgetown, Duke, etc. doesn’t go right to the top of the resume pile.
Certainly does but what you do once in the door is ultimately what is most important. On the sidelines now but some of my best hires were from "lesser" schools and vice versa.
harflax

Post by harflax »

From my experience as a high school and club coach I can tell you that the standards to get admitted into Maryland as a non-lacrosse player are more stringent than the standards to get into Georgetown and Duke as a student athlete that plays lacrosse.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Let’s get back on topic. Is Georgetown a better school than Maryland? Yes. Is Maryland a better lacrosse team than Georgetown? Yes. Is Brandau a better goalie than Morris, McNaney or the starter at Georgetown? Probably not. But we’ll see.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

harflax wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:13 pm From my experience as a high school and club coach I can tell you that the standards to get admitted into Maryland as a non-lacrosse player are more stringent than the standards to get into Georgetown and Duke as a student athlete that plays lacrosse.

Exactly.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

SkipPass wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:45 pm Your are kidding yourself if u think the kid with the degree from an Ivy, Georgetown, Duke, etc. doesn’t go right to the top of the resume pile.
EXACTLY! MD is a wonderful school--and far better value than Georgetown--but a G'town degree has more clout, c'mon man(you too PBrown!)... :lol:
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

harflax wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:13 pm From my experience as a high school and club coach I can tell you that the standards to get admitted into Maryland as a non-lacrosse player are more stringent than the standards to get into Georgetown and Duke as a student athlete that plays lacrosse.
Holy apples to oranges comparison Batman! Every school has "slots" for athletes...how about non-lacrosse player vs non-lacrosse player? Exactly
genghiskhanbluejay

Post by genghiskhanbluejay »

If Georgetown is such a great academic school you would think they would at least require students to be literate. Georgetown admitted Michael Graham on the Basketball team and he couldn’t even read.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”