NCAA Tournament

D1 Womens Lacrosse
admin
Site Admin

Re: NCAA Div 1 National Championship Seedings & Sundries

Post by admin »

2015, Four years ago, the current seniors at BC that played in the UA AA Game were Zaffino (Transferred, Captain at Brown), Troy, Daly (back-up Goalie), Arsenault, and Apuzzo.
Two years ago, 2017, 2 players.
One year ago, 2018, 4 players.

Three years ago, the current Juniors at BC, in the 2016 Game, 0 players.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 pm
Even through I agree with almost everything you say, wlaxnut, I'd take a bet on this: that BC will make the NCAA tournament.

Where do you think they'll finish in the ACC?
The reason I don’t think they’ll make the Tournament is because they will absorb some “bad“ losses next year along with the “good” losses, and they definitely will not win the ACC – regular season or post. They don’t typically play an extremely tough schedule outside the conference the way Virginia and Syracuse always do, and that will make it even more difficult to be awarded a spot. Just my impression. I won’t be surprised if I’m wrong.

I think BC will finish fourth or fifth in the ACC next year.
Last edited by wlaxnut on Wed May 22, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:24 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:12 am
laxorangebookworm wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:58 am
UNC and SU should be vying for the ACC title next year, though I could also see Notre Dame in there as well, so those are your top 3.

Other teams are losing key personnel. Virginia's losing Shoemaker and Jackson, so I think they drop back a little next year. Duke's losing a couple of defensive players, a middie and of course Olivia Jenner, so the younger players are going to have to step it up next year. Virginia Tech didn't lose a whole lot (and Petty's back) and I think they're be better next year. Essentially, there's going to be a free for all regarding the 4 through 7 spots in the ACC. Louisville will continue to improve, but will have a young team and losing Tessa Chad (their main scorer) won't help, but it's a long term rebuild for Coach Teeter there. But I don't see the Cardinals breaking out of the cellar for another couple of years.
Good assessment of what next season looks like like in the ACC, laxo. I wouldn’t be surprised if it shakes out that way.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

Any thoughts on how Pittsburgh will fit into the future landscape of the ACC?

Any speculation on who they will hire?

"will hire the first women's lacrosse head coach in Pitt history following the conclusion of next year's NCAA Women's Lacrosse National Championship, played in Baltimore, Md., on May 26, 2019."
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

westcoastlax wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:44 pm Any thoughts on how Pittsburgh will fit into the future landscape of the ACC?

Any speculation on who they will hire?

"will hire the first women's lacrosse head coach in Pitt history following the conclusion of next year's NCAA Women's Lacrosse National Championship, played in Baltimore, Md., on May 26, 2019."
I have no idea who they will hire, but I think IF they do a good job at recruiting, they should be in the middle of the mix in a few years or so.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:15 pm
The reason I don’t think they’ll make the Tournament is because they will absorb some “bad“ losses next year along with the “good” losses, and they definitely will not win the ACC – regular season or post. They don’t typically play an extremely tough schedule outside the conference the way Virginia and Syracuse always do, and that will make it even more difficult to be awarded a spot. Just my impression. I won’t be surprised if I’m wrong.

I think BC will finish fourth or fifth in the ACC next year.
Fourth in the ACC virtually always gets you into the NCAA tourney, and fifth often does too.
wlaxnut

Re: What strategy...

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:15 am
Will either team faceguard the star, Apuzzo and Ortega? If so, (1) who's star is better at freeing themselves form the faceguard...?
I’ve been re-watching the ACC championship and I would conclude, not only from that game but from having watched Apuzzo for three years, that Sam is the more difficult player to face guard. She will get her goals no matter what. Ortega on the other hand was held to one goal when BC’s Rietano face guarded her during the championship. Not that it mattered in the end obviously as BC lost but I think Sam has proven that to face guard her is a waste of time. I remember Navy face guarding her once and her going off for nine goals
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:14 am
Will either team faceguard the star, Apuzzo and Ortega? If so, (1) who's star is better at freeing themselves form the faceguard...?
I’ve been re-watching the ACC championship and I would conclude, not only from that game but from having watched Apuzzo for three years, that Sam is the more difficult player to face guard. She will get her goals no matter what. Ortega on the other hand was held to one goal when BC’s Rietano face guarded her during the championship. Not that it mattered in the end obviously as BC lost but I think Sam has proven that to face guard her is a waste of time. I remember Navy face guarding her once and her going off for nine goals
Agreed. Cannot wait for these games.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

I am awaiting these games with a mild sense of dread. If BC loses to North Carolina, and Maryland beats Northwestern, I will probably only watch the final if I find out North Carolina wins.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

She does a great job of getting separation from her defender AND her teammates are skilled at getting her the ball in that fleeting moment when she creates that separation. I’ve seen face-guarded players get open momentarily but their teammates aren't actively trying to get them the ball. As I stated in another post, I give Treanor credit for coaching this stuff. And obviously lots of credit to Apuzzo for executing it so well.

And then there's her riding . . .
Last edited by Badlands on Thu May 23, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Badlands wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:40 am
She does a great job of getting separation from her defender AND her teammates are skilled at getting her the ball in that fleeting moment when she creates that separation. If seen face-guarded players get open momentarily but their teammates aren't actively trying to get them the ball. As I stated in another post, I give Treanor credit for coaching this stuff. And obviously lots of credit to Apuzzo for executing it so well.

And then there's her riding . . .
You’ll get no argument from me. I consider Sam Apuzzo to be far and away the best player in division one. She should be a shoe-in for her 2nd Tewaaraton.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:15 am
Brownlax wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:44 am
seacoaster wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:42 pm
laxorangebookworm wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:26 pm
seacoaster wrote: Incidentally No. 2: I think next year UNC is going to be a force. Does anyone of significance statistically graduate?

Syracuse is going to be a big deal next year as well. They're only losing four players: Stahrr, Radziewicz, Cross and Levy. Lots of seniors in 2020.
Absolutely. Agreed.

UNC loses to graduation Klages, Sofield, Bowe -- all important players, but all with good understudies. It seems weird that UNC has only three seniors (and Farinholdt, the graduate student from Cornell) on the roster.
Some of the girls redshirted - it’s not just 3.
True, but I don’t think they fit the distinction of “significance statistically” as was originally mentioned.
I think Ferrucci fits the distinction of "statistically significant". She came in as a part of the 2019 graduating class but has another year of eligibility after a knee injury a few seasons ago. Academically, she has graduated and has stated she is unsure if she is going to return for her remaining year of eligibility (https://goheels.com/news/2019/5/13/wome ... -roll.aspx) which would also involve her enrolling in a graduate program. I wonder if last night's loss has changed her mind...
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

"I think Ferrucci fits the distinction of 'statistically significant'."

Absolutely; I hope she comes back.
Batman

Post by Batman »

Ferrucci played 8 games before an acl injury her fresman year. Tore it again and did not play her sophmore year. Heartbreaking. It would be great to see her come back
DMac

Post by DMac »

Just watched the BC-NC game, wow, what a phenonimal game. One of those games when it's a shame someone has to lose, gotta feel bad for those NC girls, really felt (to me) as if they were going to win it pretty much all game long. BC is BC though and they just never went away. Awful lot of good players on the field but I sure want Kenzie Kent on my team, just an outstanding GB gal who knows what to do with the ball when she comes up with it and how to settle things down when it's a bit chaotic.
BC looks a little tight to me, as if this NC run has gotten to be a really heavy weight to carry. They've got to find a way to relax a little and be a little looser. Think they've got the right coach for that task, she's pretty darn good.
Great game!!
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

I love how Apuzzo plays and she sure was clutch last night. I thought she could've gotten involved more though. The announcers kind of wrote her off by saying how tightly she was being covered and how hard it was for her to get the ball. I didn't really see that. There seemed to be many times in the second half when she was defended in a way that I would call a "loose faceguard" where she really could've made a few V cuts and gotten open, just like Kent does all the time. I feel like she could've been a bigger factor and they would've played better for it. Anyone see it differently?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Badlands wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:43 am I love how Apuzzo plays and she sure was clutch last night. I thought she could've gotten involved more though. The announcers kind of wrote her off by saying how tightly she was being covered and how hard it was for her to get the ball. I didn't really see that. There seemed to be many times in the second half when she was defended in a way that I would call a "loose faceguard" where she really could've made a few V cuts and gotten open, just like Kent does all the time. I feel like she could've been a bigger factor and they would've played better for it. Anyone see it differently?
Saw it exactly the same way.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Anyone notice how UNC goalie Hennessey shrunk down at Sam's game winning goal? If she had stood her ground, the ball would have bounced off her, but she sort of cringed down and the shot whizzed by her head.
Batman

Post by Batman »

Noticed too many bc players. In north carolina s offensive end. And refs missing the call. Replay on big screen showed kent clearly in the crease. Was she? Elise played great. Carolina had a number of opportunities to win. End of story. These are terrific young women who gave us a great game of lacrosse. Thrilled to see over 8,000 fans in attendance

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”