Apr 18 (Sat) TBA
vs
Notre Dame
Chapel Hill, N.C
Hammer44

Re: UNC 2020

Post by Hammer44 »

hens62 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:05 pm
ABClaxfan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:39 pm Who starts on attack now, Gray, Solomon, Cameron/Kelly?
Was very impressed by Cameron from below GLE. Kelly out of the box to run with Trippi and Gavin makes UNC 9 deep on O with talent

Only thing UNC is lacking is role guys - D mids, LSMs. Grinders

Big time Middie Help on the way! 2020 Class top in country!
Hammer44

Post by Hammer44 »

2020 Class Top Notch! Impact freshman in 2021.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

hens62 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:05 pm
ABClaxfan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:39 pm Who starts on attack now, Gray, Solomon, Cameron/Kelly?
Was very impressed by Cameron from below GLE. Kelly out of the box to run with Trippi and Gavin makes UNC 9 deep on O with talent

Only thing UNC is lacking is role guys - D mids, LSMs. Grinders
I agree with your sentiment regarding Cameron, who seems like he would work well alongside Gray (based on what I saw of him at BU;) I was surprised to see Cameron listed as a midfielder on the 2020 Heels roster.

I'll be at the HPU scrimmage on 1/25 and report back on what I see.
I'd love to see Navy/Jax on 1/18 scrimmage (weather permitting) but it's a 1.5 hour drive for me and a bit of a hassle.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Xavier Arline twitter
All of our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them”. - Walt Disney

After careful consideration I’ve decided to fully open my football/lacrosse recruiting #YOLO #DreamChaser #PPW
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -unc/55712
Arline was extended a preferred walk-on offer by Notre Dame, where he would also play lacrosse
What a surprise. Merry Christmas everyone.
Hammer44

Post by Hammer44 »

10 10 2 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:11 pm It's hard to say whether or not the 2020 Heels will be title contenders with Gray, since we don't know yet if they will have a couple other pieces that typically make up one of those teams. Definitely agree that this team needs some dynamic LSMs and d-mids that can be relied on to win the tough ground ball battles.

Does anyone know anything about the incoming class of freshmen? Haven't seen many of them play at all. Any promising LSM candidates that can replace Halpert and Rowlett?

Can say this about a few of the 2019 class. Clay Lanham, Close D is a solid long pole with excellent on-ball skills. He will be a contributor early. Alex Breschi, from Loyola-Blakefield in Baltimore is a highly skilled super fast D-Middie who will also make an immediate impact. Kid from Colorado, Tillman the Attacker is also a diamond in the rough.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Thanks for the info, Hammer!

I saw some highlights of Lanham and he definitely looks like the type of player that, I agree, will get some PT early and often in his career at LSM
Clay Lanham 2019 Highlights

I can't find a whole lot of info/footage of A. Breschi online except for a small write-up on IL describing him in a similar way as you did; a very athletic player that looked like a prototypical tough SSDM type of player. Parker Alexander, Connor Maher, and Alex Breschi seem like a solid core of defensive midfielders that should be able to go toe-to-toe with their intended matchups against the 2nd & 3rd best midfielders on other teams, as well as scrap with the best of them between the lines.

Also can't find a ton of footage of Tillman, but judging by the fact he made the U19 USA team as a guy from a non-hotbed area that is also not a Yale/OSU commit, I'm sure he is the real deal. Just not sure how he fits into the attack scheme, especially with Gray there now. However, if Tillman has the skills, the coaches will find a way to get him onto the field somehow.

I really, really want Breschi to go back to the run 'n gun style of play - on offense especially - that is reminiscent of those great teams Scroggs was the coach of. I understand the logic for why Breschi wanted to slow things down the past couple of seasons, with all the young inexperienced talent that was being utilized, but he was hired over other highly qualified candidates specifically because he promised alumni and supporters of the program to bring that style of play back. I just want him to keep that promise. Not to mention, and this isn't a rag on Breschi, but his style of coaching is just not quite cerebral enough to successfully pull off the slow-down micromanaging type of coaching that say, John Tillman or Bill Tierney and their staffs can successfully pull off.

Hope everyone here had a good Christmas and have some stimulating New Years celebrations! The 2020 college lacrosse season is right around the corner, and I'm hoping more UNC lacrosse fans awaken from their winter/off-season slumber and begin posting here again!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hammer44

Post by Hammer44 »

On the subject of : Connor Maher

As a High School Senior by far and away the best lock down SSDM in the prestigious MIAA conference! And there were several others that went on to D1 destinations that he was competing with every week. His foot work and ground ball skills at the highest level of HS Lacrosse were fun to watch. High Lax IQ to boot. He should be a major defensive factor for the Heels this year. Calvert Hall is the SSDM U of High School Lax.....like PSU being Linebacker U. Great Defensive Coaches who know how to prepare these kids. BK might have played a little D in his time as well :)
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

10 10 2 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:39 pm I can't find a whole lot of info/footage of A. Breschi online except for a small write-up on IL describing him in a similar way as you did; a very athletic player that looked like a prototypical tough SSDM type of player. Parker Alexander, Connor Maher, and Alex Breschi seem like a solid core of defensive midfielders that should be able to go toe-to-toe with their intended matchups against the 2nd & 3rd best midfielders on other teams, as well as scrap with the best of them between the lines.
There are a number of MIAA games up on youtube. Watching a full game highlight takes time but you get a better feeling for the player's whole game.

Loyola - Mcdonogh (Breschi #34)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr7kCzXvuHc&t=5974s

Loyola - Calvert Hall, rather one-sided for CH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGtNQOAGQE&t=4321s

Loyola - Spalding - rather one-sided for Loyola
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3rFaIFgGE8&t=1472s
Live Free or Die!
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Why are there not regular season games scheduled vs High Point & Richmond? Duke & Va play both . Wouldn’t that make sense ?l
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

I think UNC is going to be significantly improved. Addition of Gray and Bowen along with the normal developmental step-up of the numerous contributing Freshmen becoming Sophomores, I think the Heels as an ACC contender.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:41 am Why are there not regular season games scheduled vs High Point & Richmond? Duke & Va play both . Wouldn’t that make sense ?l
They're scrimmaging HP. Is that not good enough? Maybe Torpey and Breschi agreed to scrimmage rather than play a possible midweek game during the regular season. Maybe Torpey/Breschi is scared to death of losing to UNC/High Point and would only agree to a scrimmage against UNC/High Point.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Come check out our scrimmages at the Outdoor Practice Facility next to Boshamer Stadium 🥍

🆚 Jacksonville (9 a.m.)
🆚 Navy (1 p.m.)
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Really looking forward to watching this team in 2020
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Saw IL ACC rankings, its a stronger league this year ... UVA deserves top dog ranking but fair to say that every team in the ACC this year can beat any team in the ACC.
Hammer44

Post by Hammer44 »

Saw UNC scrimmage twice today, Jacksonville & Navy. General thoughts: it was a scrimmage so substitutions were liberal on all sides. UNC Freshman FOGO #15 is legit. He was subbing to an injured upper class-man, and dominated both games when he was called on. Now makes sense when in coming class was adjusted slightly for the 2020's.

Goalie play was erratic. STILL seems unsettled. Last year's #1 did not play that much. Defense looked good when Bowen was in. He was used sparingly to save the knee.

Shooters were surprisingly sharp. Gray & Solaman were on target, Trippi and Kelly moved the ball well. Ground ball work against Navy much better than 1st roll against Jacksonville. Dolphins seemed to want it more, and were more physical. That evened out against Navy. Heels pushed back.

Midfield not impressive. Cook was effective when in, but coach rotated at least 3 lines. SSDM's fared well.

As far as I could tell no major injuries...which is good.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Chris Gray vs. Navy.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Culver's Ty English has committed to UNC.

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”