JUST the Stolen Documents/Mar-A-Lago/"Judge" Cannon Trial

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: The Politics of National Security

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:18 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:54 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:47 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:35 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:14 am
tech37 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:50 am BARHAM SALEH’S THREAT TO RESIGN AMID THE BONFIRES OF IRAQ’S CRISIS

https://1001iraqithoughts.com/2020/01/0 ... qs-crisis/

Could this be any more complicated?
It actually simplifies it and proves that the internal wars of the ME countries are primarily internal conflicts of power between religion and politics......and religion often prevails because the people of the ME are primarily Muslim. And that does not sit well when political people want power.

You can almost see a parallel between the years of ME conflict/protesting and what is going in Hong Kong. The more people learn (the rise of the internet/social media) the more 'the people' want freedom/free will.

Pain causes people to pivot, let's hope in the right direction.
Makes you wonder how people survived before social media.
That's just it, they 'survived', now they want to live.
You need to get out more. You have been brainwashed by propaganda. It’s not that simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

There, when they talk about life in America, poor people are over represented in their reporting. I don’t want to live there but it’s not all peasants.
:roll: I am quite aware of that, my reply was all about power and the fighting/wars in the ME for thousands of years, not business and major city life.
You are intimating that the people will rise up to become more westernized because life is better here. Social media lets them see what they are missing. Same can be said of peasants in Mississippi, WV, Eastern Tennessee and Kentucky etc. I have said for years, these people are under represented in our mass media. You don’t see them.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Well, this tweet is certainly not going to rally the Iranian people to be pro-America.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... RIMES.html

Let's understand how momentous this event actually is: We just assassinated a top general, top political leader of a sovereign state. We say he is a "terrorist", thus a viable target...that's the US' unilateral view.

So, if an adversary considers our top generals, our top politicians, "terrorists"...they are justified in assassinating them???

And cultural sites and civilians are now justified as potential targets for reprisals?

The Israelis, who are certainly no shrinking violets, declined repeatedly over many years from taking this action vs Soleimani...but Trump knows better?

And now Pence is saying this is about 9-11???
good lord
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Trump found a clever way to withdraw US troops and hand over Iraq to Iran. Can the neo-cons be far away?
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Welp....The Iraqi Parliament wants us to leave. But hey, it’s a perfect morning for golf in S Florida. I hope Lindsey is in Trump’s foursome today as POTUS hands away our influence in Iraq. Maybe the Kurds will take us in.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Trinity wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:50 am Welp....The Iraqi Parliament wants us to leave. But hey, it’s a perfect morning for golf in S Florida. I hope Lindsey is in Trump’s foursome today as POTUS hands away our influence in Iraq. Maybe the Kurds will take us in.
Source: the Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/bo ... story.html

"Iraq's prime minister Sunday urged parliament to take "urgent measures" to force the withdrawal of foreign forces following a U.S. drone strike that killed a senior Iranian commander and key Iraqi militia leader in Baghdad last week.

In an address to parliament, Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi recommended that the government establish a timetable for the exit of foreign troops, including the members of the U.S.-led coalition to fight the Islamic State, "for the sake of our national sovereignty."

"What happened was a political assassination," Abdul Mahdi said of the U.S. strike that targeted Iran's elite Quds Force commander, Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani, as traveled in a convoy near the Baghdad airport.

He said that foreign troops were in Iraq to train its forces and help target remnants of the Islamic State "under the supervision and approval of the Iraqi government."

"Iraq cannot accept this," he said. "No foreign troops are allowed to conduct their own military actions inside Iraq."

Sounds like there might have been a little less coordination with our hosts than would have been a good idea. And the follow up about committing war crimes by attacking Iraqi cultural sites probably was a helpful narrative in this respect too. It really is amateur hour. Where are Rudy and Jared?
CU88

Post by CU88 »

When asked when will evidence of intelligence be shared with Americans, Mike Pompeo says evidence was the Contractor that was killed.

Does he expect us to believe we are going to war over THAT, when a Saudi shot up a military base & we did NOTHING.

MAGA
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Bart wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:39 pm

My republicans? Sweet, with a wave of MY hand we can stop deficit spending, which no one seems willing to do. All I did was point out that the last person to send large numbers of our children to die in a war was a Democrat. Like you, I fear we may be heading back in that direction and I think it sucks.

Do you really think the average registered Republican wants to see more kids die in war? Sorry, I do not.

Perhaps you missed the recent headlines which showed it was Republican tRUMP who sent in more troops.

As for the average registered Republicans desiring more war, more dead Americans, yup they do. I post in right wing websites and there are daily calls for more war. Anyone who dares disagree with these unpatriotic delusionals is called unAmerican and pro terrorism. I routinely challenge them to march off into war and to do their own fighting. This usually silences them.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Pressure mounts in Iraq to boot out US troops
The killing of two top Iranian and Iraqi commanders by US forces could aid Iran in strengthening its foothold in Iraq. Experts say it also undermines the months long anti-government protest movement in Iraq.

https://www.dw.com/en/pressure-mounts-i ... a-51892073

The US strike killing Major General Qassem Soleimani, the commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps' elite Quds Force, near Baghdad's airport on Friday was intended to deal a retaliatory blow to the heart of Iran's Middle East policy.

But the consequences of that brazen action might instead facilitate the conditions for Iran to achieve one of its main regional objectives: removing the US military from its neighbor.

The Iraqi parliament is convening for an emergency session on Sunday that might culminate in a vote to oust US troops from the country.

"If it comes to a vote, it's very difficult to see how any political force in Iraq can defend the US presence at this point," Heiko Wimmen, the project director for Iraq, Syria and Lebanon at the International Crisis Group, told DW.

While right wingers demand more war in the ME, locals continue to protest over the illegal occupation of their land by the oil profits seeking USA.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

BREAKING: #Iraq Parliament majority vote Terminates Security agreement with US, thereby mandating withdrawal of American Troops from Iraq.

Big setback for US government. 3 days after Suleimani killing

https://tinyurl.com/sh3wsjf

This is stunning - #Iraq prime minister tells parliament US troops should leave. Says
@realDonaldTrump
called him to ask him to mediate with #Iran and then ordered drone strike on Soleimani. Says Soleimani carrying response to Saudi initiative to defuse tension when he was hit.

https://tinyurl.com/t7scoxa

That's the ideal solution to this and all other wars - just leave as nobody wants you there.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:17 am

My republicans? Sweet, with a wave of MY hand we can stop deficit spending, which no one seems willing to do. All I did was point out that the last person to send large numbers of our children to die in a war was a Democrat. Like you, I fear we may be heading back in that direction and I think it sucks.

Do you really think the average registered Republican wants to see more kids die in war? Sorry, I do not.

Perhaps you missed the recent headlines which showed it was Republican tRUMP who sent in more troops.

As for the average registered Republicans desiring more war, more dead Americans, yup they do. I post in right wing websites and there are daily calls for more war. Anyone who dares disagree with these unpatriotic delusionals is called unAmerican and pro terrorism. I routinely challenge them to march off into war and to do their own fighting. This usually silences them.
Nah, I don't think your experience in "right wing websites" is reflective of "average registered Republicans". I know that I'm no longer "average", indeed folks like me are no longer welcome in the GOP, but I don't think most R's, just like most D's, are "desiring more war, more dead Americans".

I do think there are right wing idiots, nut jobs, who want to 'bomb them into the Stone Age" and their "intellectual" supporters who claim that religious (western culture) war is inevitable, but I don't think these are actually a majority or even "average".

However, the Trump cult will support absolutely anything Trump does or says, in any direction and on any matter. If he says we need to withdraw everywhere, tick off all allies, leave NATO, they'll applaud...if he says we need to bomb Iraq back into the Stone Age they'll cheer that as well.

The cult are unwilling to think beyond Trump's most recent tweets and rallies. They hate Dems and that's all that matters.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:50 am BARHAM SALEH’S THREAT TO RESIGN AMID THE BONFIRES OF IRAQ’S CRISIS

It actually simplifies it and proves that the internal wars of the ME countries are primarily internal conflicts of power between religion and politics......and religion often prevails because the people of the ME are primarily Muslim. And that does not sit well when political people want power.

You can almost see a parallel between the years of ME conflict/protesting and what is going in Hong Kong. The more people learn (the rise of the internet/social media) the more 'the people' want freedom/free will.

This was explained to me 30 years ago. Nothing has really changed. The average American is just as ignorant. BTW, my neighbor that lived behind us when I was young was an Iranian hostage.
njbill

Post by njbill »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:25 am And now Pence is saying this is about 9-11???
good lord
He is getting his advice from Sarah Palin.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Yes, update:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/05/worl ... -iraq.html

"Lawmakers in Iraq voted on Sunday to require the government to end the presence of American troops in the country after the United States ordered the killing of the Iranian leader of the elite Quds Force, Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani, on Iraqi soil.

The decision to heed the demands of angry Shiite factions and politicians came as hundreds of thousands of mourners poured into the streets of Iran to pay their respects to General Suleimani, the most powerful figure in the country after the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

The vote is not final until Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi of Iraq signs the bill. But since he drafted the language and submitted the bill to Parliament, there was little doubt he would sign it.

Although the vote was 170-0 in Parliament, many of its 328 members, primarily Kurds and Sunnis, did not attend the session and did not vote, showing the division in Parliament on the demands to oust American troops. While groups that grew out of Shiite militia organizations have pushed hard for the expulsion, Sunni Muslim factions and the Kurds wanted the United States to stay.

The legislation threads a fine needle: While using strong language demanding that the government “end any foreign presence on Iraqi soil and prevent the use of Iraqi airspace, soil and water for any reason” by foreign forces, it gives no timetable for doing so.

It would end the mission approved in 2014 that gave the United States the explicit task of helping the Iraqi forces to fight the Islamic State. That agreement gave the Americans substantial latitude to launch attacks and use Iraqi airspace. But the measure would leave in place the Strategic Framework Agreement, which allows an American troop presence in Iraq in some form.

On Sunday, the American-led coalition in Iraq and Syria announced that it would pause its yearslong mission of fighting the Islamic State and training local forces in both countries. A pullout of the estimated 5,200 American troops could cripple the fight against the Islamic State, or ISIS, and could allow its resurgence.

On Sunday, Mr. Abdul Mahdi urged lawmakers to act after President Trump ordered a drone strike that killed General Suleimani in the Baghdad airport on Friday.

The body of General Suleimani was brought back early Sunday from Iraq, where he was killed on Friday near the Baghdad airport. Among the others killed in the attack was Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the deputy head of the Iraqi Popular Mobilization Forces, which includes at least half a dozen pro-Iranian militias.

The general’s killing unleashed calls for vengeance in both Iraq and Iran, and reinforced a general solidarity among hard-liners and moderates in Iran against the United States. After the vote in Iraq calling on the government to expel American troops, Iranian officials reacted with congratulatory messages.

Hesameddin Ashena, a top adviser to President Hassan Rouhani, wrote on Twitter, “Expanding friendship with our neighbors and domestic unity are the best gifts for protecting our national security.”

In Iraq, the attack was seen as a violation of the nation’s sovereignty. On Sunday, Iraq’s Foreign Ministry said it had summoned the American ambassador in Baghdad. In Iran, it was viewed as tantamount to an act of war. Hossein Dehghan, a military adviser to Mr. Khamenei, told CNN that Iran’s response would include an attack on “U.S. military targets.”

As the Middle East braced for Iranian retaliation, which analysts said was all but inevitable and American officials said they expected within weeks, Tehran and Washington ratcheted up the rhetoric.

Members of Iran’s Parliament chanted, “Death to America!” en masse in the chamber on Sunday in protest over General Suleimani’s killing, television footage showed."

Right now, a narrative is emerging that the US promoted a "mediation" that was used to get Suleimani into Iraq. Pompeo is apparently on television this morning lying about the backstory. Remarkable...well, no, not so much.
Bart

Post by Bart »

That is just silly. Of course I see that. You originally stated that we should prepare to send out kids to die because we have a Republican in office. I stated historically that President Obama increased troupe deployment by some 70,000 in Afghanistan. So, it appears that increasing troupe deployment in foreign conflict is not endemic to a singular party.
Ok, sorry I disagree. I think the vast majority of all average Americans, Republican or Democrat, desire less war, less dead Americans. I have had conversations with friends who are both democrat and republican and to a person, everyone of them has said they hope this does not drag us into another war. They may disagree on the strike itself but not one wants to see us go to war. Funny thing.....these were in person conversations and not some on line web site where everyone is a tough guy. Gallop's latest numbers say that roughly 30% of Americans identify republican (coincidentally the same # as those who identify democrat) and you want me to believe that a bunch or people on an online forum speak for almost 30% of the population? Sorry, that is an extremely wide brush you are painting with.
njbill

Post by njbill »

old salt wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:33 am Now Trump's a bad CinC because he believed his intel community & acted upon their findings.
Trump believed and acted upon the immediate intelligence
as to Soleimani’s location. My point, which I think you understand, is that I suspect he didn’t even ask for input on the possible short and long-term consequences of the killing. He drove his Trump Truck into the kindergarten school yard without checking to see whether the kids were out at recess or it was Sunday afternoon.
Bart

Post by Bart »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:28 am

Nah, I don't think your experience in "right wing websites" is reflective of "average registered Republicans". I know that I'm no longer "average", indeed folks like me are no longer welcome in the GOP, but I don't think most R's, just like most D's, are "desiring more war, more dead Americans".

I do think there are right wing idiots, nut jobs, who want to 'bomb them into the Stone Age" and their "intellectual" supporters who claim that religious (western culture) war is inevitable, but I don't think these are actually a majority or even "average".

However, the Trump cult will support absolutely anything Trump does or says, in any direction and on any matter. If he says we need to withdraw everywhere, tick off all allies, leave NATO, they'll applaud...if he says we need to bomb Iraq back into the Stone Age they'll cheer that as well.

The cult are unwilling to think beyond Trump's most recent tweets and rallies. They hate Dems and that's all that matters.
On a lot of this I agree. There is a ton of hate going around.
ggait

Post by ggait »

If I’m sitting in Tehran, I’m thinking that it would be a great idea to take some hostages and make Trump a one term president.

It will take a long time to find out what the consequences are. But there’s so little reason to believe that trump is being truthful, well informed, or wise.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:24 am

You need to get out more. You have been brainwashed by propaganda. It’s not that simple.

There, when they talk about life in America, poor people are over represented in their reporting. I don’t want to live there but it’s not all peasants.
:roll: I am quite aware of that, my reply was all about power and the fighting/wars in the ME for thousands of years, not business and major city life.
You are intimating that the people will rise up to become more westernized because life is better here. Social media lets them see what they are missing. Same can be said of peasants in Mississippi, WV, Eastern Tennessee and Kentucky etc. I have said for years, these people are under represented in our mass media. You don’t see them.
Word salad. I am not intimating they want to westernize at all, merely that their govt' and religious leaders are and have been creating a climate of tension and fighting. If it is so simple and we are so ignorant as you stated, then why are they always fighting with each other in these regions? I would love to hear your take and not a youtube article.....actually your input on how the chaos in the ME gets solved, diffused...something other than contentious.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:24 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:24 am

Word salad. I am not intimating they want to westernize at all, merely that their govt' and religious leaders are and have been creating a climate of tension and fighting. If it is so simple and we are so ignorant as you stated, then why are they always fighting with each other in these regions? I would love to hear your take and not a youtube article.....actually your input on how the chaos in the ME gets solved, diffused...something other than contentious.
Which conflict? Their land was arbitrarily carved up and given away is part of it. My field is not geo politics with a concentration in Middle East social conflict. Must be yours, since you have a plausible answer. I just know it’s not a simple minded solution.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Same exact line of thinking we used in invading Afghanistan and Iraq. Iran will be different?

How's this desire for freedom and free will working out for the Syrians?

What you are asking for, is the equivalent of shooting a postage stamp on the moon with a pellet gun. You're asking for a democracy to take over in Iran.

And please don't come back with "no I'm not". Because if that's not what you're asking for.......shall we go over all the bad things that will happen if we get an Iranian Civil War? Not could. What WILL happen?

As usual, Americans aren't thinking this out past the ends of our noses.

Return to “POLITICS”