JUST the Stolen Documents/Mar-A-Lago/"Judge" Cannon Trial

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: The Politics of National Security

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:04 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:57 am Well bust my buttons....

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/08/71098739 ... ganization

See they are on the list so it must be so!
So what? IMO, labeling them properly as terrorists was a long time coming. And, new admin, new approach...remember TLD, "elections have consequences."

When their mortal enemy Saddam was taken out, logic should tell us that Iran should have been grateful, at least on some level. But instead, a lot of American boys were killed by Iranian proxies and Iranian weapons.
He was duly elected.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:04 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:57 am Well bust my buttons....

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/08/71098739 ... ganization

See they are on the list so it must be so!
So what? IMO, labeling them properly as terrorists was a long time coming. And, new admin, new approach...remember TLD, "elections have consequences."

When their mortal enemy Saddam was taken out, logic should tell us that Iran should have been grateful, at least on some level. But instead, a lot of American boys were killed by Iranian proxies and Iranian weapons.
Un huh.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Hint : Esper & pre-emptive
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/espe ... s-n1109631

Esper: U.S. could 'take pre-emptive action' if Iran prepares new attacks
"We will take pre-emptive action as well to protect American forces, to protect American lives," Defense Secretary Mark Esper said.

Jan. 2, 2020, 2:16 PM EST

The United States could take pre-emptive military action if it gets sufficient warning that Iran or its proxy forces are planning further strikes on U.S. interests in the Middle East, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Thursday.

"We're prepared to do what is necessary to defend our personnel and our interests and our partners in the region," Esper told reporters at the Pentagon, citing a series of violent attacks on U.S. personnel and facilities in Iraq in recent months by Iran-supported militia groups.

The United States has "indications" that more Iranian provocations may be in the offing, Esper suggested without providing details.

"If that happens, then we will act and by the way, if we get word of attacks or some type indication, we will take preemptive action as well to protect American forces, to protect American lives," he added.
For history know-it-alls
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:50 pm Hint : Esper & pre-emptive

"We will take pre-emptive action as well to protect American forces, to protect American lives," Defense Secretary Mark Esper said.

The United States could take pre-emptive military action if it gets sufficient warning that Iran or its proxy forces are planning further strikes on U.S. interests in the Middle East, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Thursday.

"We're prepared to do what is necessary to defend our personnel and our interests and our partners in the region," Esper told reporters at the Pentagon, citing a series of violent attacks on U.S. personnel and facilities in Iraq in recent months by Iran-supported militia groups.

1. Remember all those years ago when I said that the new "idea" of a "preemptive strike" started by George Bush would live to haunt US policy for hundreds of years? Yep. Annnnnnnd, here we are. Start a fight to "prevent" a fight. Smart. Super, super smart. Worked like a champ when we took out Saddam. So yeah, let's do that again, right? Right.

2. Notice we need to defend the vulnerable troops all over the ME? Remember when I told you that having troops all over the region wasn't some super fail safe way of living? That putting our troops in harms way----especially with the pending arrival of Iranian nukes-----was inherently stupid?

Neat-o. Everything's going great. Hey, I have an idea! Let's do the same thing that hasn't worked for 50 years again.! That oughta fix everything.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

The United States has "indications" that more Iranian provocations may be in the offing, Esper suggested without providing details.

"If that happens, then we will act and by the way, if we get word of attacks or some type indication, we will take preemptive action as well to protect American forces, to protect American lives," he added.
For history know-it-alls
As opposed to random know-it-alls, like you? :oops: :roll:

Yammamoto was a naval commander in an active war zone in the Solomons leading a country Congress had declared WAR on 18 months previously after an attack on Pearl Harbor where, at least one Naval Flag officer was killed plus 1,000s of military personnel.

Last time I checked, Congress had not declared war on Iran or any other country. In fact, the Executive Branch has not even requested such a declaration. In fact, the last time Congress declared war at the request of a President was December 8, 1941 (just over 79 years ago).

Feel free to make your points about this situation but without the bogus historical references.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Starting to hear from people in Washington who might be believable that there was specific intel that there was something imminent - different from same old same old. Always hedged with I can't tell you what. There is currently zero believable information that this attack was actually in reaction to something imminent. The few intel democrats who have apparently been briefed today seem to be taking a wait and see approach, non-committal, waiting on more information. The administration was not prepared to deal with the citizenry on this. This had to be a spur of the moment decision and/or there is no good justification.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Good thing Trump doesn’t drink.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:02 pm

For history know-it-alls

Yammamoto was a naval commander in an active war zone in the Solomons leading a country Congress had declared WAR on 18 months previously after an attack on Pearl Harbor where, at least one Naval Flag officer was killed plus 1,000s of military personnel.

Last time I checked, Congress had not declared war on Iran or any other country. In fact, the Executive Branch has not even requested such a declaration. In fact, the last time Congress declared war at the request of a President was December 8, 1941 (just over 79 years ago).

Feel free to make your points about this situation but without the bogus historical references.
Both were brilliant & inspirational military leaders, killed at key times in a war (& yes -- we are & have been at war with Iran).

Thank you Prof Know-It-All. The master of irrelevant minutia, proffered as relevant distinction.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:24 pm

For history know-it-alls

Both were brilliant & inspirational military leaders, killed at key times in a war (& yes -- we are & have been at war with Iran).

Thank you Prof Know-It-All. The master of irrelevant minutia, proffered as relevant distinction.
Game on!
https://nypost.com/2020/01/03/qassem-so ... essage_app
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:59 pm

1. Remember all those years ago when I said that the new "idea" of a "preemptive strike" started by George Bush would live to haunt US policy for hundreds of years? Yep. Annnnnnnd, here we are. Start a fight to "prevent" a fight. Smart. Super, super smart. Worked like a champ when we took out Saddam. So yeah, let's do that again, right? Right.

2. Notice we need to defend the vulnerable troops all over the ME? Remember when I told you that having troops all over the region wasn't some super fail safe way of living? That putting our troops in harms way----especially with the pending arrival of Iranian nukes-----was inherently stupid?

Neat-o. Everything's going great. Hey, I have an idea! Let's do the same thing that hasn't worked for 50 years again.! That oughta fix everything.
Yes, yes, yes. As always, in all things, you're always right -- selectively, in hindsight.

Might want to wait for more info to come out & see how this plays out. Just a suggestion.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Very Informative thread here from a senior fellow at the Carnegie endowment and Hopkins alum:

https://twitter.com/ksadjadpour/status/ ... 95238?s=21
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:29 pm

Yes, yes, yes. As always, in all things, you're always right -- selectively, in hindsight.

Might want to wait for more info to come out & see how this plays out. Just a suggestion.
Who leaked the photo of the severed hand or was a NY Post photographer on site?
“I wish you would!”
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:19 pm Starting to hear from people in Washington who might be believable that there was specific intel that there was something imminent - different from same old same old. Always hedged with I can't tell you what. There is currently zero believable information that this attack was actually in reaction to something imminent. The few intel democrats who have apparently been briefed today seem to be taking a wait and see approach, non-committal, waiting on more information. The administration was not prepared to deal with the citizenry on this. This had to be a spur of the moment decision and/or there is no good justification.
Normally -- remember normally? -- this is the reason the Gang of Eight is consulted: the Executive and the Legislative branches get on the same page for the limited purpose of the operation. It embodies the exact situation that Shumer described today, in which the Executive/IC/Military convene with the Congress in order to make certain that there is no rigid group-think at work, etc. And government is supposed to be cooperative, particularly in times of exigencies like this.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:38 pm

Who has custody of the airport road ? Not likely US forces.
The photo credit says -- ZUMA24.com
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:39 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:19 pm Starting to hear from people in Washington who might be believable that there was specific intel that there was something imminent - different from same old same old. Always hedged with I can't tell you what. There is currently zero believable information that this attack was actually in reaction to something imminent. The few intel democrats who have apparently been briefed today seem to be taking a wait and see approach, non-committal, waiting on more information. The administration was not prepared to deal with the citizenry on this. This had to be a spur of the moment decision and/or there is no good justification.
Normally -- remember normally? -- this is the reason the Gang of Eight is consulted: the Executive and the Legislative branches get on the same page for the limited purpose of the operation. It embodies the exact situation that Shumer described today, in which the Executive/IC/Military convene with the Congress in order to make certain that there is no rigid group-think at work, etc. And government is supposed to be cooperative, particularly in times of exigencies like this.
Yup, more than half the country believes nothing Trump, Esper, Pompeo, Graham etc., have to say about this. They are going to have to convince dem leadership if they hope to bring the rest (majority) of the country along on the issues of justification / constitutional, etc.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
a fan

Post by a fan »

:lol: How the F is it hindsight when I tell you what's going to happen the day it happens? Hindsight would be me saying "gee, I thought that Bush's Pre-emptive strike was a bad idea, but forgot to say anything".

That's not what I did. What I did was foresight: telling you that now the the asinine idea of starting a fight to prevent a fight was put into the toolbox by Bush and Congress, this tool would be used again and again.

What you are SUPPOSED to say if you're having a fair intellectual discussion is: Score one for "a fan", he was right. Instead? You make fun. And then complain about the lowered discourse at the forum.
old salt wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:29 pm Might want to wait for more info to come out & see how this plays out. Just a suggestion.
And i'd suggest to you focus on the overall strategy we're using. THAT is why I'm freaking out. You don't get it, and you never have.

You look at sending more troops to Saudi Arabia as simply reinforcing a position. I see it as more rock solid evidence that we haven't changed our strategy in the Middle East in 20 years of overall failure. And that because we haven't changed our strategy, more failures will ensue.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

For history know-it-alls

So say you Mr. Wing it. No wonder you are all in on IMPOTUS.
We won in the Pacific with overwhelming force and superior strategy. The fact that Nimitz had to approve the strike tells me they considered other items like the possibility that the operation, if successful, might inform the Japanese that their naval codes had been breached. Also was a tricky route and distance which required Army P-38 Lightnings based in Guadalcanal with drop tanks to get to the target in the roundabout fashion to avoid detection. No denying its affect on Japanese morale but it still took over 2+ years to complete victory.

You are merely a keyboard genius copying and pasting stuff from elsewhere to support your views. Tucker Carlson is on line 2 for you. :lol: :lol:
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:51 pm
:lol: How the F is it hindsight when I tell you what's going to happen the day it happens? Hindsight would be me saying "gee, I thought that Bush's Pre-emptive strike was a bad idea, but forgot to say anything".

That's not what I did. What I did was foresight: telling you that now the the asinine idea of starting a fight to prevent a fight was put into the toolbox by Bush and Congress, this tool would be used again and again.

What you are SUPPOSED to say if you're having a fair intellectual discussion is: Score one for "a fan", he was right. Instead? You make fun. And then complain about the lowered discourse at the forum.
old salt wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:29 pm Might want to wait for more info to come out & see how this plays out. Just a suggestion.
And i'd suggest to you focus on the overall strategy we're using. THAT is why I'm freaking out. You don't get it, and you never have.

You look at sending more troops to Saudi Arabia as simply reinforcing a position. I see it as more rock solid evidence that we haven't changed our strategy in the Middle East in 20 years of overall failure. And that because we haven't changed our strategy, more failures will ensue.
OK Grand Strategist -- which Bush are you referring to ?
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:45 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:38 pm

Who has custody of the airport road ? Not likely US forces.
The photo credit says -- ZUMA24.com
Thanks. Another year in the books.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:19 pm

For history know-it-alls

So say you Mr. Wing it. No wonder you are all in on IMPOTUS.
We won in the Pacific with overwhelming force and superior strategy. The fact that Nimitz had to approve the strike tells me they considered other items like the possibility that the operation, if successful, might inform the Japanese that their naval codes had been breached. Also was a tricky route and distance which required Army P-38 Lightnings based in Guadalcanal with drop tanks to get to the target in the roundabout fashion to avoid detection. No denying its affect on Japanese morale but it still took over 2+ years to complete victory.

You are merely a keyboard genius copying and pasting stuff from elsewhere to support your views. Tucker Carlson is on line 2 for you. :lol: :lol:
At least he stood up to Russia when he thought it mattered!
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”