Delaware 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Henpecked

Re: Delaware 2019

Post by Henpecked »

I promised some sort of recap of this weekend’s fall ball tournament in beautiful West Philadelphia. So here goes.

To start, Delaware played the whole day without its top two players Goalie Matt DeLuca and Charlie Kitchen (att). They were also without potential starters Peter St. Geme (mid/ssdm), Brook Rideau (mid), Stephen Tortora (ssdm) and Alex Brunner (ssdm) leaving them VERY light at D midfield.

That said, the Hens hung tough with Syracuse in the first two quarters playing mostly freshmen at midfield and attack. The Hens started Dean DiSimone, Bryce Reid and freshman Kyle Kivinski at midfield. They started freshmen Clay Miller, Tye Kurtz along with senior Joe Eisele at attack. The defensive starters were Austin Haynes, Zach Strassner and freshman Owen Grant. At defensive midfield DeLuca played Rhett Schweitzer, Thomas Aloe interchangeably with 4 freshmen; Connor Pierce, Kevin McCormick, Blake Gagen and Jason Seiter. Matt Kilkeary played the first 3 quarters of the game in goal.

The Hens outshot Syracuse 7-5 in the first quarter and were tied 1-1 with stellar goaltending on both sides. The pace of the game was excellent with the shot clock but you would never know by the score. In the second quarter Syracuse just mesmerized the Hens with some insane cross-field passes. The defense was caught looking quite a few times and ending up going into halftime down 6-2. Syracuse outscored the Hens 7-0 in the second half when DeLuca pulled all of the starters and put in nearly every eligible player on the roster in the second half including frosh goalie Peter Rippinger (Brody Bartell played in second game).

The Lafayette game followed just 20 minutes after the first game. The Hens came out a little sluggish but quickly picked up the pace. Jake Hervada won nearly every faceoff he took and away went the Hens. The final score was 21-9 with Joe Eisele scoring 6 goals by my count and I believe every eligible Hen played significant minutes.

I am not sure what the real takeaway should be given the lack of starters who played. But I will say confidently that the Hens will be a lot better at defensive midfield when Alex Brunner, Peter St. Geme and Stephen Tortora are back out on the field in the spring. They will also be a lot better with Charlie Kitchen, Brook Rideau and Matt DeLuca playing.

Hens best players for the day were Clay Miller, Owen Grant, Austin Haynes, Matt Kilkeary and Joe Eisele.

There was also a new player on the field for the Hens that is still not listed on the roster - #8 at close defense who is a transfer from Hartford evidently.

The next action we will see will be late January when the Hens host Colgate and Denver for scrimmages in Newark. Schedules should be out soon.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Just a quick update. The unidentified LSM/Defenseman transfer student wearing #8 for the Hens in the Headstrong tournament was Chris Colman. Colman is a 6' 4" defenseman from Salesianum HS in Delaware. He played in 7 games his freshman year at Hartford in 2017. BTW, he looked pretty good against Lafayette with 2 CT's in limited playing time.

Still not listed on the Hens Website, but looks like a good athlete. Should provide depth at LSM. Assume he is a sophomore. That is it.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Towson just posted its schedule. Out of conference looks brutal (Hopkins, Gtown, Loyola, Cornell, Duke and Denver). Based on the date they are playing Delaware, I think I have figured out the Hens OOC and CAA Schedule:

Home exhibitions on 1/26 vs Colgate and 2/2 vs Denver

2/9 Mt.St. Mary's (A)
2/16 NJIT (A)
2/23 Monmouth (H)
2/27 St. Joseph's (H)
3/2 Villanova (A)
3/5 Mercer (H)
3/9 Binghamton (H)
3/16 Johns Hopkins (A) edited to show game at Homewood. Assume next year will be in Newark?
3/23 Michigan (A)
3/30 Fairfield (A)
4/6 Drexel (A)
4/13 Hofstra (H)
4/20 Towson (H)
4/26 or 27th UMass (A)

Not a tough schedule. And happy to play UMass in late April in Amherst versus two years ago at Garber to open up the CAA in the frozen rain. :D Don't book any hotel rooms based on this information. It is just my best guess at this point. I'd put it at the 85% confidence level.
Last edited by Henpecked on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
dense

Post by dense »

Henpecked wrote:Towson just posted its schedule. Out of conference looks brutal (Hopkins, Gtown, Loyola, Cornell, Duke and Denver). Based on the date they are playing Delaware, I think I have figured out the Hens OOC and CAA Schedule:

Home exhibitions on 1/26 vs Colgate and 2/2 vs Denver

2/9 Mt.St. Mary's (A)
2/16 NJIT (A)
2/23 Monmouth (H)
2/27 St. Joseph's (H)
3/2 Villanova (A)
3/5 Mercer (H)
3/9 Binghamton (H)
3/16 Johns Hopkins (H)
3/23 Michigan (A)
3/30 Fairfield (A)
4/6 Drexel (A)
4/13 Hofstra (H)
4/20 Towson (H)
4/26 or 27th UMass (A)

Not a tough schedule. And happy to play UMass in late April in Amherst versus two years ago at Garber to open up the CAA in the frozen rain. :D Don't book any hotel rooms based on this information. It is just my best guess at this point. I'd put it at the 85% confidence level.
See Rutgers off schedule. St Joes lost alot to graduation. . Thread sounds optimistic on newcomers and UD returns most keys so realistic to expect a better record and maybe even challenge for CAA. Good luck.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Pretty sure the Hopkins game is at Homewood Field in Baltimore again this year, but everything else looks good. Towson really plays a brutal out of conference slate.

Hens need a good start and could put up an exciting season.
baylax72

Post by baylax72 »

Any new updates on the team? How are people feeling about year #2 for this coach? Big time coach and a program with great potential so you have to think the sky is the limit.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

2019 Outlook (since you asked. Some of this is repeated from previous posts)

Schedule
While the official schedule has not been released, from all indications there will be very little changes to the Hens schedule this year aside from adding one additional regular season game.

Who’s out?
Rutgers – after a pretty good run going up against the Scarlett Knights, this annual game has been discontinued in 2019 but hopefully will be back on the schedule soon. Some great games against Rutgers. Over the last 35 years the teams met up 23 times with the Hens going 10-13 in those games, including a win over the #1 nationally ranked squad two seasons ago.

Who’s in?
St. Josephs back after a one-year hiatus. And Michigan is back on the schedule again this year.

Average RPI of teams on schedule?
You can argue the merits of RPI all day long, but it is a fairly good indicator of how tough a schedule will potentially be. The average RPI from last year for the teams on the schedule is 39.3 which make it a pretty mediocre schedule. Hopkins (3), Villanova (12), UMass (21), Michigan (25), Towson (26), St. Joes (31), Drexel (36), Hofstra (41), Fairfield (50), Monmouth (59), Binghamton (62), Mercer (63), NJIT (69) and Mt. St. Mary’s (52).

Circle these games.
I believe that the CAA will be about the same as last year with UMass and Towson presenting the biggest challenge for the Hens. The Hens lost to both of these teams by a single goal last year.

UMass is returning a large percentage of the CAA championship team except for sniper Buddy Carr who led the minutemen with 39 goals and 25 assists, stud FOGO Noah Rak and two super-talented long poles Luc Valenza and Shane Rinkus. They will be formidable (top 20 for sure).

The offensively-challenged Towson Tigers have lost leader scorer Jean-Luc Chetner and Jon Mazza along with defensemen Sid Ewell and Calvin Livingston. But they return a ton of young talent on offense and defense… and Shawn Nadelen is still their coach.

Out of conference the Hens don’t have a very challenging schedule aside from Villanova who they lost to by a single goal in a back and forth match up last year, and Johns Hopkins, who they were actually beating last St. Patty’s Day at Homewood after three quarters. Not sure what to expect from Michigan but I am sure it will be a tough match up in Ann Arbor.

Who’s returning?

Offensively, everyone is back from last year except for Will Hirschmann who was second in scoring with 27 goals last year. But the Hens still return 82% of its scoring led by Charlie Kitchen (37g 14 a), Dean DiSimone (24g 12a), Bryce Reid (20g and 4a) and Joe Eisele (21g, 2a)

Defensively, the Hens lost freshman Liam Duff who had a pretty solid year but return real depth at close defense and at midfield. They are two solid lines deep on defense including freshman long pole Owen Grant who will push for a starting spot along with returners Austin Haynes and Zach Strassner. And of course, the Hens return Matt DeLuca in net who was second team all CAA last year in his sophomore season.

Freshmen to watch
As mentioned earlier Owen Grant will be a force for years to come at close defense. The Hens also have two freshmen who may be able to contribute offensively this coming year – Clay Miller at attack and Kyle Kivinski at midfield.

Transfers
The Hens have two transfers this year. Brook Rideau from Onondaga Community College had a stellar high school career in California before spending the last year winning a national championship at OCCC. Also the Hens welcome Delaware native Chris Colman from Hartford where the 6’ 4” defenseman played last year.

Season Summary
Last year the Hens finish 3-2 in conference and lost in the first round to Towson 8-9 in overtime.

Looking ahead – The expectations are high at UD this year. There is a large senior class that will have a say on how well this team ultimately does. But all indications are that they players have bought into DeLuca in year two and are excited to get going in the winter.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

“Air Force Adds John Grant, Jr., To Coaching Staff”

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... taff/53318

salut1
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Delaware signs two 2019 Culver Academy players this week. Michael Robinson from Peterborough, Ontario (home of John Grant Jr and Zach Currier) and Jake DeMare from Illinois are set to join the Hens next fall. Robinson was a bigtime contributor last year as a lefty middie. DeMare is a quick off ball attackman with a nose for the goal.

Both should add depth to a young offensive team next year.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 10.13.52 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 10.13.52 AM.jpg (120.49 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

This is the slow news portion of the year for college lacrosse. But last week we learned a lot about the high school seniors who have signed and where they are going. While many programs listed the 2019 class that signed NLIs last week on social media, Delaware Lacrosse tweeted out that they had signed 10 new players for next year and would share the names at a later date.

I was able to identify 9 of these seniors listed below:

Michael Robinson, Midfielder, Culver Academy, IN
Jake DeMare, Attack, Culver Academy, IN
John Wright, Goalie, Hill Academy, ONT
Collin Hurley, LSM, Rustin HS, PA
Tate Wasson, LSM, Palmyra HS, NJ
Tommy Bloom, Attack, Sanford HS, DE
Reed Kurtz, Middle, Bishop McConnell, ONT
Josh Bayer, LSM, La Plata HS, MD
Harrison Ewing, M, Calvert Hall, MD

Not sure who the tenth recruit is, but we should find out soon. Overall, a pretty good recruiting class from all indications. Excellent follow up from DeLuca's first class that arrived on campus in September.

As an aside, Reed Kurtz is the brother of Hen's freshman Tye Kurtz. Reed is a very strong middie who tears it up in the Ontario indoor league playing Jr. B for Guelph Regals (led the team this summer in scoring with 22g and 42 assists in 16 games).
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Hens in the running for this player.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/6184

The leading scorer in the nation in 2018, Ty Xander’s database showing him as a likely 4 star, out of Wilkes-Barre area, a 2020 class.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Another profiled recruit for 2020,
Hens are in the running for.
Heavily recruited evidently.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/46596
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Official 2019 Schedule is out, added a week day tilt vs St Joes 2/26, and at Michigan 3/23. Dropped by Rutgers, fourteen games is one more than last year. Interesting that the last two CAA games are against Towson and UMass who are usually the top two in the conference. Henpecked had most of this a few weeks ago, one difference, Hens will travel to Hopkins for a second straight year and play at Homewood.

Out of conference includes , Mt St Mary's, NJIT, Monmouth, St Joes, Villanova, Mercer, Binghamton, Hopkins, and Michigan. If the Hen's stay healthy and get off to a good start they could have a very nice year.

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2018/11/2 ... att-deluca
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Another Romagnoli out there.
A 2020, uncommitted.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/43818

Its worth a shot.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Curtis Dickson picked as #4 in NLL
by Inside Lacrosse.
Curtis Dickson is about as exciting as it gets
when it comes to watching lacrosse.

There may not have been a player in the NLL who is harder to stop from going to the net and getting his shot off since John Grant Jr.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... no-4/53371
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

The Blue Hens have a new player showing up on the roster. University of Maryland transfer Wade Oursler.

Oursler is a Gilman School grad who played sparingly for the Terps last year as a Frosh. He was listed as the #70 top-rated recruit in the class of 2017 and was two time all MIAA selection. Looks like an excellent pick up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnsUQG5XSco
COMMISH

Post by COMMISH »

Oursler looks damn good. He sure likes that righty shot on the run, but I didn't see any one stop it! I wonder why he left the Terps?
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Looks like a nice addition to the Hens. Fact is Maryland is so deep at Midfield it's almost unfair. They have many players that would start and flourish at most programs, kids need to take an honest look around after freshman year as wonder if they really have a shot to play, knowing 3-5 more Under Armor AA middys are coming next year. Some are happy to stay and be part of the winning tradition, others choose to try somewhere else. Good for him, hope he has a great experience at Delaware. A few other schools are deep as well, but Maryland is loaded every year.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Another interesting Delaware recruit.
A class of 2020.

Delaware in the running, not a commit yet, with several other schools.
A potential 3/4 star recruit.
On the same club team as Brennan O’Neill.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/6494
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Matt Kinnear listed Delaware as one of 9 D1 teams that are predicted to be much improved in 2019. Each of the teams listed had less than stellar 2018 seasons due to a number of reasons including injuries, team defections, slew of one-goal losses, insert excuse here...etc.

In general, I think Kinnear got all of the teams correct. I would expect improvement from UMBC with its deep defense in Moran's third year. I do expect that Colgate will improve under Karweck. They have way too much talent to have finished 7-8 last year after beating Cornell early in the season. Brown got crushed with injuries last year and should improve in Daly's second year as well. Towson had to totally rebuild its offense following a trip to the Final Four in 2017 - They will be better this year. And I do firmly believe that UD will be much improved from last year with a deeper and more experienced squad in DeLuca's second season. But as I like to say, we shall see.

Here is the brief article:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 2019/53514

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”