Conservatives and Liberals

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Conservatives and Liberals

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Bart wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:28 am
a fan wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:26 pm
Bart wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:55 pm Didn't think I was complaining and certainly didn't say what my political "view" was.
And I didn't say that it was a political view. I called it the "minority" view.
Bart wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:55 pm The point was that ignorance or willful disregard for opposing views is not relegated to the rural conservative communities docb originally brought up. Sorry, I just don't see Academe as the open land of discourse so many espouse it to be.
I have no clue where you're teaching, but at every University I've been working with as a businessman for 20+ years---in multiple States--- has fallen all over themselves to help, listen to, and enable rural America to thrive. Farming in particular.

Has it occurred to you that you're basing your opinion on, in your words, 25 years of work at one single school? Maybe, just maybe, other schools across the nation are entirely different?
Bart wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:55 pm Thanks for the sanctimonious slap on the back however.
Says the guy who is certain that every University in America looks down on "opposing views", and "rural America". They hate farmers! Hide the children! ;) Come on man. Can't say stuff like that, and not expect a rebuttal....Absolutely expected it. I appreciate the effort, certainly not your best but also far from your worse.
I am absolutely basing this on my experience. At the place I work and other institutions I interact(ed) with, what else should I base it on? Certainly is a small geographic sample size but certainly not small in the total number of kids/staff I have worked with. Perhaps my small sample size is an anomaly, certainly could be. The article about the Yale kids was a good read, that is his experience. I will say in MY experience academe is not as open to discourse as some believe it to be and not all views are considered. I believe it should be more open. You and I might disagree on this, I'm ok with that, that is fine and how solutions start.

Do I think Universities hate rural America? Nope, never said that. This whole thing started because docb stated ignorance is more common in rural america, and I disagree.......ignorance is every place, including the college campus. It's good you work with schools where all views are taken the same. Places where you can talk about different topics, hard topics and not be labeled an "ist" of some sort.

For the record, I hate the term snow flake. Does not describe the students I work with. College is certainly more complicated than it was 30 years ago.
Ignorance is more common where the population is less educated. Fact. That doesn’t mean it only exist in “rural” America.
“I wish you would!”
Bart

Post by Bart »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:36 am
Bart wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:28 am
a fan wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:26 pm
Bart wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:55 pm Didn't think I was complaining and certainly didn't say what my political "view" was.
And I didn't say that it was a political view. I called it the "minority" view.
Bart wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:55 pm The point was that ignorance or willful disregard for opposing views is not relegated to the rural conservative communities docb originally brought up. Sorry, I just don't see Academe as the open land of discourse so many espouse it to be.
I have no clue where you're teaching, but at every University I've been working with as a businessman for 20+ years---in multiple States--- has fallen all over themselves to help, listen to, and enable rural America to thrive. Farming in particular.

Has it occurred to you that you're basing your opinion on, in your words, 25 years of work at one single school? Maybe, just maybe, other schools across the nation are entirely different?
Bart wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:55 pm Thanks for the sanctimonious slap on the back however.
Says the guy who is certain that every University in America looks down on "opposing views", and "rural America". They hate farmers! Hide the children! ;) Come on man. Can't say stuff like that, and not expect a rebuttal....Absolutely expected it. I appreciate the effort, certainly not your best but also far from your worse.
I am absolutely basing this on my experience. At the place I work and other institutions I interact(ed) with, what else should I base it on? Certainly is a small geographic sample size but certainly not small in the total number of kids/staff I have worked with. Perhaps my small sample size is an anomaly, certainly could be. The article about the Yale kids was a good read, that is his experience. I will say in MY experience academe is not as open to discourse as some believe it to be and not all views are considered. I believe it should be more open. You and I might disagree on this, I'm ok with that, that is fine and how solutions start.

Do I think Universities hate rural America? Nope, never said that. This whole thing started because docb stated ignorance is more common in rural america, and I disagree.......ignorance is every place, including the college campus. It's good you work with schools where all views are taken the same. Places where you can talk about different topics, hard topics and not be labeled an "ist" of some sort.

For the record, I hate the term snow flake. Does not describe the students I work with. College is certainly more complicated than it was 30 years ago.
Ignorance is more common where the population is less educated. Fact. That doesn’t mean it only exist in “rural” America.
agreed. again i was noting docb's rural america comment. lots of lesser educated people in the big cities.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:11 am
tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:28 am
Kismet wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:17 am
https://www.businessinsider.com/retired ... 19-12/amp/ Yep, I saw this...interesting story. My first thought though was that these kids at Yale, in this specific program, are hardly the rule but most definitely the exception, to try stating a general case regarding college student thinking.
IMHO, your first thought and apparent judgment about Yale students overall not being like this students' perception is based upon WHAT exactly? a fan posted this story in reference to a general discussion re college student thinking...I don't think the article makes his case. As for this gentleman's personal experience, I'm certainly not criticizing.
He, at least, lives in New Haven and attends the school. Have you done either? No. I lived in Redding, CT for years. One of my closest friends attended Yale. That's the best i can do :D

This IMHO is what's wrong with communicating via the internet and not in person face to face with people. There is no personal interaction. A lot gets left out and never said. I don't disagree.

Happy New Year
You mentioned you were not criticizing the gentleman's personal experience - yet you also said regarding Yale "are hardly the rule but most definitely the exception," - my question was - How do you know this about Yale? Have you discussed your apparent dismissive attitude about Yale with your grad friend? Dismissive?...didn't mean to come off that way. I just think that at a school like Yale, the students are already exceptional or they wouldn't be there in the first place. Add to that, a program which seems to deal with students who for reasons beyond their control, or due to their choices in life, have a more mature and appreciative POV regarding their education and everything that comes with it. Certainly not your typical college student IMHO. I'd be interested in his take. No, I doubt you would. He's to the right of me on most issues, and like me, just another angry old white guy. :lol:

We certainly agree on your last point. Happy New Year to you, too!!!
tech37

Post by tech37 »

tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:12 am
https://www.businessinsider.com/retired ... 19-12/amp/ Yep, I saw this...interesting story. My first thought though was that these kids at Yale, in this specific program, are hardly the rule but most definitely the exception, to try stating a general case regarding college student thinking.
IMHO, your first thought and apparent judgment about Yale students overall not being like this students' perception is based upon WHAT exactly? a fan posted this story in reference to a general discussion re college student thinking...I don't think the article makes his case. As for this gentleman's personal experience, I'm certainly not criticizing.
He, at least, lives in New Haven and attends the school. Have you done either? No. I lived in Redding, CT for years. One of my closest friends attended Yale. That's the best i can do :D

This IMHO is what's wrong with communicating via the internet and not in person face to face with people. There is no personal interaction. A lot gets left out and never said. I don't disagree.

Happy New Year
You mentioned you were not criticizing the gentleman's personal experience - yet you also said regarding Yale "are hardly the rule but most definitely the exception," - my question was - How do you know this about Yale? Have you discussed your apparent dismissive attitude about Yale with your grad friend? Dismissive?...didn't mean to come off that way. I just think that at a school like Yale, the students are already exceptional or they wouldn't be there in the first place. Add to that, a program which seems to deal with students who for reasons beyond their control, or due to their choices in life, end up having a more mature and appreciative POV regarding their education and everything that comes with it. Certainly not your typical college student IMHO. I'd be interested in his take. No, I doubt you would. He's to the right of me on most issues, and like me, just another angry old white guy. :lol:

Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:14 am

Happy New Year
You mentioned you were not criticizing the gentleman's personal experience - yet you also said regarding Yale "are hardly the rule but most definitely the exception," - my question was - How do you know this about Yale? Have you discussed your apparent dismissive attitude about Yale with your grad friend? Dismissive?...didn't mean to come off that way. I just think that at a school like Yale, the students are already exceptional or they wouldn't be there in the first place. Add to that, a program which seems to deal with students who for reasons beyond their control, or due to their choices in life, end up having a more mature and appreciative POV regarding their education and everything that comes with it. Certainly not your typical college student IMHO. I'd be interested in his take. No, I doubt you would. He's to the right of me on most issues, and like me, just another angry old white guy. :lol:

Did you grow up in Redding?
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:26 am

Happy New Year

No. Fell in love with the area though and commuted into NYC from there. While living there, did a little coaching at Ridgefield where I believe Roy Colsey is still HS coach.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:39 am

Happy New Year

No. Fell in love with the area though and commuted into NYC from there. While living there, did a little coaching at Ridgefield where I believe Roy Colsey is still HS coach.
Nice town. I like the area. That was a tough commute man. Hopefully just to midtown. I was downtown and it was a killer. Post 9/11 market and priorities changed. Opted to work locally and invest my time with my kids. Barlow lacrosse is much improved. I watched Barlow knock off New Canaan to win a state title. They had a slick young middie that was under the radar. Went to Salisbury and was an AA.
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

In 2013, Barlow did beat New Canaan in the M semis but lost to Wilton for the Class M title. The previous year 2012 they won Class S title when they beat Somers. They also won Division II in 2002 under the old Division I/II format. Those are their only two state titles per CIAC.

http://ciacsports.com/site/?page_id=938
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:25 pm In 2013, Barlow did beat New Canaan in the M semis but lost to Wilton for the Class M title. The previous year 2012 they won Class S title when they beat Somers. They also won Division II in 2002 under the old Division I/II format. Those are their only two state titles per CIAC.

http://ciacsports.com/site/?page_id=938
That’s it! It seemed like a final plus I am getting old! It was a fun game. The NC faithful were already celebrating and Barlow snatched it away at the end.
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:07 pm

Happy New Year

Nice town. I like the area. That was a tough commute man. Hopefully just to midtown. I was downtown and it was a killer. Post 9/11 market and priorities changed. Opted to work locally and invest my time with my kids. Barlow lacrosse is much improved. I watched Barlow knock off New Canaan to win a state title. They had a slick young middie that was under the radar. Went to Salisbury and was an AA.
I lived right down the street from Barlow on Turney Road. Commuted to both midtown and downtown... commute never bothered me.

Redding boasted some famous residents, most notably Mark Twain whose estate Stormfield was in Redding and where he died in 1910. Mary Travers (RIP) of Peter, Paul, and Mary, Marvin Aday (Meatloaf), Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple, Dick Morris, Dennis Leary, and artist Fred Otnes (RIP). From time-to-time I would see Christopher Plumber at the local package store. :D
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:32 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:07 pm

Happy New Year

I lived right down the street from Barlow on Turney Road. Commuted to both midtown and downtown... commute never bothered me.

Redding boasted some famous residents, most notably Mark Twain whose estate Stormfield was in Redding and where he died in 1910. Mary Travers (RIP) of Peter, Paul, and Mary, Marvin Aday (Meatloaf), Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple, Dick Morris, Dennis Leary, and artist Fred Otnes (RIP). From time-to-time I would see Christopher Plumber at the local package store. :D
Yep. Nice up there. I love a little breakfast spot in Bethel as well as that burger drive in. Colsey has done a great job at Ridgefield.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Bart wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:28 am I am absolutely basing this on my experience. At the place I work and other institutions I interact(ed) with, what else should I base it on? Certainly is a small geographic sample size but certainly not small in the total number of kids/staff I have worked with. Perhaps my small sample size is an anomaly, certainly could be.
Then say that---"at my school". You say that? I wouldn't have given you grief. Your experience is at complete odds with mine...although I'm not a professor. I'm a business owner who deals with, currently, three separate colleges/universities on various projects that integrate public/private partnerships.

I've dealt with over a dozen universities over they years.....they fall all over themselves to work with people in "the real world". The town/gown thing...in my experience....is completely gone, and these professors are doing their level best to work with real businesses and real people. And this includes B schools, Enviorn. Engineering, Botany, Ag. Science, Brewing, and Microbiology departments. Pretty good swath of University majors

When working with these departments, given my vocation, this means we're working with rural Americans. And the students' respect for these people has never been higher. These kids listen and honor not just my experiences....but the experience of the farmers I work with..

I'd go so far as to say the most common attitude with these students, both graduate and undergraduate, is that they are skeptical of the ivory tower, skeptical of the media and politicians....and are desperate to hear "the real deal". They're also skeptical of yours truly...the end user of agricultural products. They want to make doggone sure I'm not taking advantage of farmers in one way or another. It's a remarkable attitude, actually. These kids are on to the BS spewed by both the left and the right. They just want to do "good" work...."good" as they themselves define.
Bart wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:28 am This whole thing started because docb stated ignorance is more common in rural america, and I disagree.......ignorance is every place, including the college campus.
Well, there's your problem. DocB is Bandito with a half million dollar a year salary. He's going to write a bunch of nonsense that he himself doesn't believe. Ignore him. Problem solved.
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:30 pm
holmes435 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:03 pm Don't forget, college campuses have been bastions of liberalism and activism for over a half-century before the hyper-partisanship of the past decade.
Give me an F'ing break. In the past, there were genuine issues that those "bastions of liberalism and activism" were confronting, such as immoral war(s). Now? :lol: Safe spaces, identity political nonsense, and anemic socialist principles. Face it, we're a pampered, spoiled nation that is ripe for the picking via patient and relentless adversaries/enemies like Communist China.
Uh oh. FoxNews told you that students are pampered, and not as cool as boomers.
tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:08 am [Uh oh...I was hoping a fan would have added "don't label people or don't constantly refer to FoxNews when disagreeing with others" to his list of NYResolutions, along with... "no more straw man arguments"... "be intellectually honest when debating"... and of course "try showing some patience and avoid the desire for instant gratification" :D
Don't label people? :lol: You mean like calling an entire nation of college kids pampered, spoiled, and "ripe for the picking" from.....China?

You have a habit of doing the very thing you accuse me of doing.....

Happy new year to you and your family!!
Bart

Post by Bart »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:49 pm
Bart wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:28 am I am absolutely basing this on my experience. At the place I work and other institutions I interact(ed) with, what else should I base it on? Certainly is a small geographic sample size but certainly not small in the total number of kids/staff I have worked with. Perhaps my small sample size is an anomaly, certainly could be.
Then say that---"at my school". You say that? I wouldn't have given you grief. Your experience is at complete odds with mine...although I'm not a professor. I'm a business owner who deals with, currently, three separate colleges/universities on various projects that integrate public/private partnerships.

I've dealt with over a dozen universities over they years.....they fall all over themselves to work with people in "the real world". The town/gown thing...in my experience....is completely gone, and these professors are doing their level best to work with real businesses and real people. And this includes B schools, Enviorn. Engineering, Botany, Ag. Science, Brewing, and Microbiology departments. Pretty good swath of University majors

When working with these departments, given my vocation, this means we're working with rural Americans. And the students' respect for these people has never been higher. These kids listen and honor not just my experiences....but the experience of the farmers I work with..

I'd go so far as to say the most common attitude with these students, both graduate and undergraduate, is that they are skeptical of the ivory tower, skeptical of the media and politicians....and are desperate to hear "the real deal". They're also skeptical of yours truly...the end user of agricultural products. They want to make doggone sure I'm not taking advantage of farmers in one way or another. It's a remarkable attitude, actually. These kids are on to the BS spewed by both the left and the right. They just want to do "good" work...."good" as they themselves define.
I am glad the experience you have is a good one, as is mine I do enjoy my gig. The interesting thing to me is that you say these kids are skeptical of the ivory tower and that is what I feel I am am describing.

I may be wrong and if so I apologize but in your line of work you are working with some professors/students to take ideas from the lab to the field/market. (btw if so, that is cool) This is an honest question not meant to be accusatory in any way but when doing this do you talk to students/professors about such things as gender? race? POTUS? poverty? immigration? nuclear policy? or any myriad of other topics?

If so, do you think you would get the same type of dialogue from professors/students in all departments?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Bart wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:35 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:49 pm

I am glad the experience you have is a good one, as is mine I do enjoy my gig. The interesting thing to me is that you say these kids are skeptical of the ivory tower and that is what I feel I am am describing.

I may be wrong and if so I apologize but in your line of work you are working with some professors/students to take ideas from the lab to the field/market. (btw if so, that is cool) This is an honest question not meant to be accusatory in any way but when doing this do you talk to students/professors about such things as gender? race? POTUS? poverty? immigration? nuclear policy? or any myriad of other topics?

If so, do you think you would get the same type of dialogue from professors/students in all departments?
Great conversation fellas.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

Bart wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:35 pm I am glad the experience you have is a good one, as is mine I do enjoy my gig. The interesting thing to me is that you say these kids are skeptical of the ivory tower and that is what I feel I am am describing.

I may be wrong and if so I apologize but in your line of work you are working with some professors/students to take ideas from the lab to the field/market. (btw if so, that is cool)
Sort of. What we do is take things we've already done, and incorporate the Universities in our work. As an example. 8 years ago I revived a variety of rye that was used to make whiskey (and bread) in the PA/MD area in the 1800's.

If you didn't know, currently all the large bourbon producers get every single pound of their millions of tons of rye from Germany. Sad, but true. Instead of having an active plant breeding program like Coors and Bud did for over 100 years.....American distillers did nothing about their grain. As a result.....they couldn't get disease resistant strains with the flavor they wanted domestically. So they bought from countries that did have grain programs.

So I decided to do something about this. I'm a bit of a research junkie, so I'd scour old books and journals for old techniques and/or materials that distillers stopped using mostly out of the pursuit of efficiency, and at the expense of quality. I came across a variety of rye that kept popping up in farming journals as being prized by whiskey producers. This variety, called Abruzzi, came from Rome in the late 1800's. It was prized by rye whiskey producers for its spicy note. I found a seed bank that would lend me ten grams. I went to Colorado State Universities grain program, and asked them to plant it, and care for it. This was no problem, because they already have a program like this for wheat in place.

The professor brought me out to the field with the students, and I explained how the supply chain for whiskey production in the US is currently broken, and that they would help fix it. I explained how Prohibition turning distilling from a wholly agricultural business (as it is in most of the world) into a fully industrialized business. Why did this happen? Do you recall when Prohibition ended? That's right----the height of the Great Depression. No one could afford food, let alone copper and proper crops to turn into brandy and whiskey. So only big business could afford to build capital intensive distilleries.....and America went from having tens of thousands of distilleries, to just a handful in a single generation.

In any event, I took the students through the history of grain production for use in distillation---something their professors could never do----and they, in turn, helped sow and care for the crops. They learn a ton, and I get some more seed. Everyone wins. Then at harvest? We replant the seed. And replant the seed. And replant the seed. And after four years, we have enough seed for a commercial run of Abruzzi rye.....over a hundred acres.

So now this is a commercially viable seed. I pay the farmer three times the commodity rate for the rye, so he gets paid. And more Colorado farmland is saved, because he's not selling land to developers because he can turn a profit on the land. And the students have learned far more than they ever would if they had just read a bunch of books. Pretty neat. Oh, and the State gets paid for growing the crop for me. Taxpayers win, too.

I'm telling you this stuff (sorry if it's boring to you), to give context to answer your next questions.
Bart wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:35 pm This is an honest question not meant to be accusatory in any way but when doing this do you talk to students/professors about such things as gender? race? POTUS? poverty? immigration? nuclear policy? or any myriad of other topics?
So over the years of this project, we discussed many of these topics. Like: they'd ask about misogyny in the alcohol biz (it's really, really bad in the US, with EU doing far better...but the US is making solid changes). Or about the financial viability in farming in 2019. Or about how only the rich can afford organic foods, and what am I doing to make what I sell more affordable? Or about how lilly white craft beer is. A whole range of topics....most of them very complex, with no right or wrong answers.

And yep, just like everyone my age, sometimes I can't wrap my head around where they are coming from. But that's ok. I'm not a cool kid anymore, and it's part of getting old. But I'm listening. I found that's the best path most of the time: shut up and listen.

And yes, when libs or far righters take these social issues to extremes? Holy cow, I get just as annoyed as the next guy. But again, these characters were around when I was their age, too. The pendulum swings, as I mentioned. Conservatives are pushing hard in the Trump era....there's no point in complaining when it swings back, if you ask me. That, and I believe these kids have a right to be angry at the injustices they see....but...BUT.....so long as they actually get out there and do something to fix the problem? I'm a happy guy, and can put up with a little annoyance just fine.
Bart wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:35 pm If so, do you think you would get the same type of dialogue from professors/students in all departments?
I don't know. These days, I'm dealing more with applied sciences, and haven't guest lectured or gotten involved with a Business School in some time. I suspect that's where you'd encounter more extreme social justice fans. I guess I can't answer that question.

I can only say that the kids I encounter are really curious, really focused, and just LOVE hearing how the world REALLY works. Any time you can tell them Inside Baseball stuff where the solutions and/or problems are fully counterintuitive? They go NUTS, and ask for more.

Enjoying the conversation.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ummmm, boring? No. Actually very interesting and cool!
Bart

Post by Bart »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:51 pm
Bart wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:35 pm I am glad the experience you have is a good one, as is mine I do enjoy my gig. The interesting thing to me is that you say these kids are skeptical of the ivory tower and that is what I feel I am am describing.

I may be wrong and if so I apologize but in your line of work you are working with some professors/students to take ideas from the lab to the field/market. (btw if so, that is cool)
Sort of. What we do is take things we've already done, and incorporate the Universities in our work. As an example. 8 years ago I revived a variety of rye that was used to make whiskey (and bread) in the PA/MD area in the 1800's.

If you didn't know, currently all the large bourbon producers get every single pound of their millions of tons of rye from Germany. Sad, but true. Instead of having an active plant breeding program like Coors and Bud did for over 100 years.....American distillers did nothing about their grain. As a result.....they couldn't get disease resistant strains with the flavor they wanted domestically. So they bought from countries that did have grain programs.

So I decided to do something about this. I'm a bit of a research junkie, so I'd scour old books and journals for old techniques and/or materials that distillers stopped using mostly out of the pursuit of efficiency, and at the expense of quality. I came across a variety of rye that kept popping up in farming journals as being prized by whiskey producers. This variety, called Abruzzi, came from Rome in the late 1800's. It was prized by rye whiskey producers for its spicy note. I found a seed bank that would lend me ten grams. I went to Colorado State Universities grain program, and asked them to plant it, and care for it. This was no problem, because they already have a program like this for wheat in place.

The professor brought me out to the field with the students, and I explained how the supply chain for whiskey production in the US is currently broken, and that they would help fix it. I explained how Prohibition turning distilling from a wholly agricultural business (as it is in most of the world) into a fully industrialized business. Why did this happen? Do you recall when Prohibition ended? That's right----the height of the Great Depression. No one could afford food, let alone copper and proper crops to turn into brandy and whiskey. So only big business could afford to build capital intensive distilleries.....and America went from having tens of thousands of distilleries, to just a handful in a single generation.

In any event, I took the students through the history of grain production for use in distillation---something their professors could never do----and they, in turn, helped sow and care for the crops. They learn a ton, and I get some more seed. Everyone wins. Then at harvest? We replant the seed. And replant the seed. And replant the seed. And after four years, we have enough seed for a commercial run of Abruzzi rye.....over a hundred acres.

So now this is a commercially viable seed. I pay the farmer three times the commodity rate for the rye, so he gets paid. And more Colorado farmland is saved, because he's not selling land to developers because he can turn a profit on the land. And the students have learned far more than they ever would if they had just read a bunch of books. Pretty neat. Oh, and the State gets paid for growing the crop for me. Taxpayers win, too.

I'm telling you this stuff (sorry if it's boring to you), to give context to answer your next questions.
Bart wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:35 pm This is an honest question not meant to be accusatory in any way but when doing this do you talk to students/professors about such things as gender? race? POTUS? poverty? immigration? nuclear policy? or any myriad of other topics?
So over the years of this project, we discussed many of these topics. Like: they'd ask about misogyny in the alcohol biz (it's really, really bad in the US, with EU doing far better...but the US is making solid changes). Or about the financial viability in farming in 2019. Or about how only the rich can afford organic foods, and what am I doing to make what I sell more affordable? Or about how lilly white craft beer is. A whole range of topics....most of them very complex, with no right or wrong answers.

And yep, just like everyone my age, sometimes I can't wrap my head around where they are coming from. But that's ok. I'm not a cool kid anymore, and it's part of getting old. But I'm listening. I found that's the best path most of the time: shut up and listen.

And yes, when libs or far righters take these social issues to extremes? Holy cow, I get just as annoyed as the next guy. But again, these characters were around when I was their age, too. The pendulum swings, as I mentioned. Conservatives are pushing hard in the Trump era....there's no point in complaining when it swings back, if you ask me. That, and I believe these kids have a right to be angry at the injustices they see....but...BUT.....so long as they actually get out there and do something to fix the problem? I'm a happy guy, and can put up with a little annoyance just fine.
Bart wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:35 pm If so, do you think you would get the same type of dialogue from professors/students in all departments?
I don't know. These days, I'm dealing more with applied sciences, and haven't guest lectured or gotten involved with a Business School in some time. I suspect that's where you'd encounter more extreme social justice fans. I guess I can't answer that question.

I can only say that the kids I encounter are really curious, really focused, and just LOVE hearing how the world REALLY works. Any time you can tell them Inside Baseball stuff where the solutions and/or problems are fully counterintuitive? They go NUTS, and ask for more.

Enjoying the conversation.
First, I did not know that about the Rye and Bourbon. Thanks for the background on that as I really, really, really like bourbon. I am not a real good judge of the stuff but I like what I like.

On to the other topic. It is an interesting perspective you have gotten from the students have worked with. I have had students from all disciplines we offer and they do certainly have different approaches and or thought processes. The same can be said about the faculty as well. We do not have applied sciences but are a more traditional North Eastern Liberal Arts school. Perhaps there is some sampling bias in both of our pools.

I, like you, have at times a very difficult time understanding where they are coming from or why they are so mad at this or that. It is frustrating but like you, I do not live in their world. What I do not like is when there is complete disregard for others POV. This happens from both sides of the aisle and is where my feelings regarding the sharing of ideas arises and insulated thinking come from. Too often, IMO, disagreement leads one side to label the other side some type of "ist" and that just stops all sensible discussion.

Did I mention I really like bourbon......cheers!
Bart

Post by Bart »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:29 pm Ummmm, boring? No. Actually very interesting and cool!
agreed.

Return to “POLITICS”