Orange Duce

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: Orange Duce

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:06 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:58 pm
MDLF76:
Did you actually read what you posted above?

Webster doesn't deal with why 19th century understandings of the word "nationalism" changed so significantly from simply "loyalty and devotion to nation" to the "and" aspect, as in "ALSO INCLUDES", the negative aspects.

Well, it's because the term proved so immensely damaging as various dictatorships invoked "nationalism" as "loyalty" to the leader, and downright evil leaders at that.
That does not eradicate the positive results which nationalism produced in US history, or British history, for that matter.

...& spare me the 1970's Ivy education anti-imperialism rap or a recitation on the evils of manifest destiny.
Look at the nations of the world that have not developed as sh!t holes.
Der’ it is.
Remember when the expression " save Western Civilization" described what was considered a noble undertaking.
Do they even teach Western Civ anymore, or is it called Dead White Men Studies ?
Now let's all join hands while TLD leads us in singing Kumbaya.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:11 pm
MDLF76:

Webster doesn't deal with why 19th century understandings of the word "nationalism" changed so significantly from simply "loyalty and devotion to nation" to the "and" aspect, as in "ALSO INCLUDES", the negative aspects.

Well, it's because the term proved so immensely damaging as various dictatorships invoked "nationalism" as "loyalty" to the leader, and downright evil leaders at that.
That does not eradicate the positive results which nationalism produced in US history, or British history, for that matter.

...& spare me the 1970's Ivy education anti-imperialism rap or a recitation on the evils of manifest destiny.
Der’ it is.
Remember when the expression " save Western Civilization" described what was considered a noble undertaking.
Do they even teach Western Civ anymore, or is it called Dead White Men Studies ?
We are in the 21st century. You are done.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:15 pm
MDLF76:

Der’ it is.
.:lol:. ...wanna bet on that. I'm sensing a comeback. How 'bout that UK election. Brexit's gonna happen.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:18 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:15 pm
MDLF76:

Der’ it is.
.:lol:. ...wanna bet on that. I'm sensing a comeback. How 'bout that UK election. Brexit's gonna happen.
You have a Jesus complex now? You are done. If you come back it will be another miracle.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“The fundamental question of our time is whether the West has the will to survive,” Trump told a crowd in Warsaw. “Do we have the confidence in our values to defend them at any cost? Do we have enough respect for our citizens to protect our borders? Do we have the desire and the courage to preserve our civilization in the face of those who would subvert and destroy it?” If that sounds too eloquent for Trump, you’re right.....The words belonged to Miller (aka Old Salt) :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:29 pm “The fundamental question of our time is whether the West has the will to survive,” Trump told a crowd in Warsaw. “Do we have the confidence in our values to defend them at any cost? Do we have enough respect for our citizens to protect our borders? Do we have the desire and the courage to preserve our civilization in the face of those who would subvert and destroy it?” If that sounds too eloquent for Trump, you’re right.....The words belonged to Miller (aka Old Salt) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was that before, or after, the Polish President offered to build Fort Trump ?
https://www.defensenews.com/digital-sho ... ort-trump/
DMac

Post by DMac »

CU88 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:08 pm Yes, no offense to Dartmouth! Big Green = US military

Sad to see the continual defending of the US military over the rights of Citizens. Such blind and frothing devotion to the long standing “traditions” of “might makes right”. Remember the outrage from that crowd when this report was issued by the Fed’s? https://fas.org/irp/eprint/rightwing.pdf
An apology was issued, but the report was NOT retracted. Facts are the facts. How many veterans have been connected hate crimes or to the race-based melee in Charlottesville? Just more “good people on both sides”??? The military has a long history of racism, and they always say; it is in the past, we have addressed it and no longer is it an issue; until the next time. A real American doesn’t question authority or tell the truth. I know, I know, I crossed a line, and the jack boots are coming for me; because I hurt their feelings.
I doubt you hurt their feelings, 88, they probably just find you to be a little hyena like, scavanging up rotten little morsels about the imperfections in the military and then painting a picture as it being infested with a prevalence of white nationalism. We do agree on one thing, facts are facts. Fact is you never spent one day in the military. Had you, you would recognize that the story you are telling is a fairytale. It's not true, believe me. I've seen it in real life.
Will give you a minute to think about this one:
The military has a long history of racism, and they always say; it is in the past, we have addressed it and no longer is it an issue; until the next time.
Did you mean to say country, or is it just the military?
Wow.

How many veterans connected to hate crime?
Don't know, figure it's any more than non vets?
Might be a little morsel for you to dig up there.

You one of those guys who sits for the national anthem?
I'd find it hypocritical if you're not. Bombs bursting in air
and all those ugly spirited army boys shooting the place up
and all that. Probably still teaching about that stuff at the
academies too. It's ugly.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Don't you see that you are proving some of my comments right?

And you are bring up a new matter when you say "country" Do you mean that our country has NO history of racism? WOW
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
DMac

Post by DMac »

CU88 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:29 am Don't you see that you are proving some of my comments right?

And you are bring up a new matter when you say "country" Do you mean that our country has NO history of racism? WOW
That's some mighty weak back walking you've got going on there, 88.
Don't I see? C'mon, it's a given that you're a whole lot smarter than I am so cut me some slack for not being able to keep up. After all, you're a Cornell boy and that's where the smartest people in the world go. Well, so says their ad on the ILN anyway (and you talk about The Big Green Ego...how 'bout that Big Red Ego, eh?). Cornell, located in Ithaca, the post card picture town of white privilege and elitism where Biff and Sissy drink their latte on The Commons donned in their Izod sweaters and penny loafers. The town wreaks of a white superiority mentality and you're telling me all about problems of white supremacy in the military. Hope you built that house of yours out of plexiglass and not the old easily breakable stuff.
I can't quite figure how one of the smartest people in the world would interpret what I asked you (whether you meant country or military) as my meaning our country has NO history of racism (is a racist the same as a white nationalist, white supremacist?). Let me try to explain myself. My message, as it has been all along, is that the military is made up of the people from sea to shining sea and you have all of the same types of people in there as you do in the general population. To zero in on the military as having a long history of racism as if it's anything other than a microcosm of the entire population is distorting and misleading to say the least.
A real big difference between you and me (beyond your being one of the smartest people in the world and my not being, of course) is that I have been either in or around (as in surrounded by) the military for twenty years of my life. I have seen and experienced what kind of people make up our military, not just read slanted little articles about it. MDlax actually nailed it with this:
MDlaxfan76 wrote
But I'd also like to think (you guys have more background can probably help illuminate this) that the military and service tends to help folks break down prejudices if only by greater exposure to one another, dependence upon one another.
To which I responded:
DMac wrote
It does, and for the reasons you mention. It's a good education in that respect.
When you serve as a team with people from all over the country you learn to get along, learn that people might be different and learn that some of your preconceived notions about who and what they are might have been wrong. It's a great education which everyone should experience. Did I ever run into racists in the military? You bet I have (particularly those Mississippi boys whose families owned plantations and slaves back in the good old days) but no more so than I have in the civilian world. For you to suggest that there's a prevalence of white nationlists/supremacists in the military and that these types are being sought out for recruitment is just wrong and painting an inaccurate picture of who our boys and girls in uniform are. Then to suggest that white supremacy is being taught at our military acadamies is...well, that's just asinine.
You're way out of line with your BS but you go ahead and keep on believing that our military is made up of a bunch of skinheads and racists. Anyway you look at they'll all be there for you if/when you need them.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:35 am
CU88 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:29 am Don't you see that you are proving some of my comments right?

That's some mighty weak back walking you've got going on there, 88.
Don't I see? C'mon, it's a given that you're a whole lot smarter than I am so cut me some slack for not being able to keep up. After all, you're a Cornell boy and that's where the smartest people in the world go. Well, so says their ad on the ILN anyway (and you talk about The Big Green Ego...how 'bout that Big Red Ego, eh?). Cornell, located in Ithaca, the post card picture town of white privilege and elitism where Biff and Sissy drink their latte on The Commons donned in their Izod sweaters and penny loafers. The town wreaks of a white superiority mentality and you're telling me all about problems of white supremacy in the military. Hope you built that house of yours out of plexiglass and not the old easily breakable stuff.
I can't quite figure how one of the smartest people in the world would interpret what I asked you (whether you meant country or military) as my meaning our country has NO history of racism (is a racist the same as a white nationalist, white supremacist?). Let me try to explain myself. My message, as it has been all along, is that the military is made up of the people from sea to shining sea and you have all of the same types of people in there as you do in the general population. To zero in on the military as having a long history of racism as if it's anything other than a microcosm of the entire population is distorting and misleading to say the least.
A real big difference between you and me (beyond your being one of the smartest people in the world and my not being, of course) is that I have been either in or around (as in surrounded by) the military for twenty years of my life. I have seen and experienced what kind of people make up our military, not just read slanted little articles about it. MDlax actually nailed it with this:
MDlaxfan76 wrote
But I'd also like to think (you guys have more background can probably help illuminate this) that the military and service tends to help folks break down prejudices if only by greater exposure to one another, dependence upon one another.
To which I responded:
DMac wrote
It does, and for the reasons you mention. It's a good education in that respect.
When you serve as a team with people from all over the country you learn to get along, learn that people might be different and learn that some of your preconceived notions about who and what they are might have been wrong. It's a great education which everyone should experience. Did I ever run into racists in the military? You bet I have (particularly those Mississippi boys whose families owned plantations and slaves back in the good old days) but no more so than I have in the civilian world. For you to suggest that there's a prevalence of white nationlists/supremacists in the military and that these types are being sought out for recruitment is just wrong and painting an inaccurate picture of who our boys and girls in uniform are. Then to suggest that white supremacy is being taught at our military acadamies is...well, that's just asinine.
You're way out of line with your BS but you go ahead and keep on believing that our military is made up of a bunch of skinheads and racists. Anyway you look at they'll all be there for you if/when you need them.
+1. D Mac... you nailed it. I wanted to respond to little red but after reading what you posted. You said it all.😏
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Nice story about James Hatch, a 26 year Navy combat vet (and SEAL) who went back to Yale at age 52 and is currently an Eli Whitney freshman student -

It is entitled My Semester with the Snowflakes

https://medium.com/@james.hatch/my-seme ... 8285f0e662

His best line
"To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect."

He signs off "I'm a snowflake with a Purple Heart".

Well worth the time to read it - especially the vets here like Dmac, Old Salt and Cradle.
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:31 am Nice story about James Hatch, a 26 year Navy combat vet (and SEAL) who went back to Yale at age 52 and is currently an Eli Whitney freshman student -

His best line
"To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect."

Well worth the time to read it - especially the vets here like Dmac, Old Salt and Cradle.
Very good article. The very first person to tell me about the horrors of the Taliban was a driver. This was about 5 years before the World Trade Center attack. I learned a lot taking car service home and always made it a point to talk to the drivers. Made the trip seem faster also.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:31 am Nice story about James Hatch, a 26 year Navy combat vet (and SEAL) who went back to Yale at age 52 and is currently an Eli Whitney freshman student -

His best line

Thank you for posting that. It is a great article and I enjoyed reading it. It gives me hope that not all ivy league students are cast from the same mold. It does bother me when so often a conservative goes to speak at a predominantly liberal university and they are harrassed and intimidated for wanting to speak their mind. Where are these same open minded Yale students standing up for these folks they disagree with? Standing up for the first amendment is not a sometime thing. It is good to know there is a melting pot on some ivy league campuses. Just do not ever wear a MAGA hat. Even the most tolerant student may be forced to beat your brains in.
Bob Ross:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

The costs of having a President who is mentally ill? Great article:

https://thebulwark.com/trumps-personal- ... gn-policy/

"n Ukraine, Donald Trump’s comprehensive misconduct of foreign relations has ripened into the most pregnant of our current public controversies—an impeachment inquiry. But his psychological unfitness for world leadership was apparent well before he took the oath of office.

Since first announcing his candidacy, Trump’s behavior has suggested a man with deep personal pathologies. For too long, too many closed their eyes to this dreadful reality; sober journalists ducked the obvious by disclaiming psychological expertise. But no more. George Conway put it well when he analogized this awakening to the shock of seeing pro quarterback Alex Smith sustain a horrific injury:

Even without the benefit of medical training, and even without conducting a physical examination, viewers knew what had happened. They may not have known what the bones were called or what treatment would be required, but they knew more than enough, and they knew what really mattered: Smith had broken his leg, very badly. They knew that even if they were not orthopedists, did not have a medical degree, and had never cracked open a copy of Gray’s Anatomy. They could tell—they were certain—something was seriously wrong.

And so it is, or ought to be, with Donald Trump. You don’t need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows, and you don’t need to be a mental-health professional to see that something’s very seriously off with Trump—particularly after nearly three years of watching his erratic and abnormal behavior in the White House. Questions about Trump’s psychological stability have mounted throughout his presidency. As they must.

The Mayo Clinic describes narcissistic personality disorder as “a mental condition in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack of empathy for others.” Mayo further explains that “beneath this mask of extreme confidence lies a fragile self-esteem that’s vulnerable to the slightest criticism.”

Does any of that sound familiar?

Then compare Mayo’s list of symptoms to the multi- faceted demands of democratic leadership in a dangerous and complex world. Those afflicted with NPD “have an exaggerated sense of self-importance”; “have a sense of entitlement”; and “require constant, excessive admiration.” They “expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it.”

There’s more. Individuals with NPD “exaggerate achievements and talents”; are “preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance”; and “believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people.” They “belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior”; “expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations”; and “take advantage of others to get what they want.”

And still more: They are “envious of others and believe others envy them”; “have significant interpersonal problems and easily feel slighted”; “react with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make themselves appear superior”; “have difficulty regulating emotions and behavior”; and “become impatient or angry when they don’t receive special treatment.” All this covers “secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation.”

One need not be a doctor to read the literature, look at Donald Trump, and grasp that the organizing principle for his external behaviors lies within.

Add to these emotional distortions a couple of traits from NPD’s cousin, sociopathy—an addiction to lying and a belief that the rules don’t apply to you—and you have a day in the life of America’s president.

Americans have been so preoccupied with Trump’s daily shredding of our domestic social fabric that they have have tended to ignore the wreckage of our foreign policy and the concomitant dangers to national security.But these failures, too,are a result of who and what Donald Trump is."

"But there is no one left around Trump to point out these obvious problems. Because he is psychologically unable to abide dissent or respect expertise, Trump has replaced professionals with sycophants—degrading our State Department and demoralizing its best people. The epitome of these enablers is the pompous puppet Mike Pompeo, our shrinking secretary of State, who has survived this long only through abject subservience.

Pompeo is the opposite of James Mattis; he chooses sycophancy to serve himself. In his imagined future, he is not simply a future Republican senator from Kansas, but Trump’s eventual successor. Unlike Trump, Pompeo is sane: quite deliberately, he has catered to Trump’s narcissism, fronting for Trump as he trashes the State Department and repeatedly commits gross political malpractice.

The result of Pompeo’s calculating cowardice is baneful—a dearth of sound advice and institutional engagement which empowers Trump’s mindless solipsism. Pompeo countenanced Trump’s love affair with Kim. He choked down Trump’s betrayal of the Kurds. He watched as Trump publicly contemplated canceling our mutual defense treaty with Japan; threatened to pull U.S. troops out of South Korea; mocked our NATO allies as deadbeats; and dismissed the E.U.

Little wonder that Trump has said “I don’t think I’ve had an argument with Pompeo.” Why would he need to? Pompeo never disagrees with him, thereby encouraging Trump to pretend that the intellectual, moral, and strategic Sahara of his foreign policy is as grand as Trump needs to believe – freeing Trump to do his worst, unimpeded.

But it is Pompeo’s performance with respect to Ukraine which best encapsulates Trump’s degradation of diplomacy and perversion of policy. He stood aside as Trump attempted to blackmail the new Ukranian president into serving his personal political interests, allowing Trump to subcontract the dirty work to Rudy Giuliani. Pompeo licensed Trump to bully and then fire Ambassador Marie Jovanovich. He listened to Trump’s coercive call to President Zelensky, thereby acquiescing in the corruption of American aid. And then, when all this was done, Pompeo pretended to ABC’s Martha Raddatz that he knew nothing about the call before admitting, ten days later, that he had heard it all.

In sum, Mike Pompeo has pretzeled himself to be the flawless lackey Trump demands: spineless, mendacious, unprincipled, and disloyal to his own subordinates. As two seasoned former American diplomats write of Pompeo’s tenure: “At the very least, Pompeo enabled the smear campaign to go unchallenged, acquiesced in the Giuliani back channel with Ukraine and failed to say a word in defense of Bill Taylor, George Kent or Marie Jovanovich. These are breathtaking acts of craven cowardice and beneath the dignity of any Secretary of State.”

And all made possible by Duce.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

"Autocrats of the world understand Trump. They know that he will come to their meetings unprepared, unadvised, and envious to his core."

https://thebulwark.com/trumps-personal- ... gn-policy/
DMac

Post by DMac »

His best line

Good artcle, Kismet, thanks for posting. CU88 ought to do the same in reverse and go hang out on the flight deck of a carrier, or hang out with the crew of a sub, or maybe hang out with some of the 101st boys, or maybe even some of the Marines and get a real feel for what type of guys and gals make up our military. Maybe then, if that Big Red Ego didn't get in the way, he'd come on and apologize for all of the horseschidt he's been spreading around here.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:08 pm

His best line

Good artcle, Kismet, thanks for posting. CU88 ought to do the same in reverse and go hang out on the flight deck of a carrier, or hang out with the crew of a sub, or maybe hang out with some of the 101st boys, or maybe even some of the Marines and get a real feel for what type of guys and gals make up our military. Maybe then, if that Big Red Ego didn't get in the way, he'd come on and apologize for all of the horseschidt he's been spreading around here.
I'm sure my fellow paratroopers in the 82nd would be glad to fit him with some boots and fit him with a really heavy ruck sack and invite him on a 25 mile forced march in full gear. That would give anyone a brand new perspective on the misery index.
Bob Ross:
DMac

Post by DMac »

I dunno, cradle, might be pretty rough on the Ivy boy. No Izod issued unis or penny loafer jump boots and no lattes like down at The Commons. Then having to hang around with all the unwashed masses and white supremacists might be quite a traumatic experience for the poor fellow. Might be better suited for just reading sleazy little articles and spreading sensationalized exaggerations around. Oh well, takes all kinds to make up this great country, I guess.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

His best line

I think the point of the article was that the Navy SEAL/vet found a LOT more in common with most younger students he interacted with at Yale than he ever thought he would and they, in turn did the same with him. Recall the presentation they made to him on Veteran's Day.

For Cradle, my (and perhaps this vet's advice) is don't judge people based only upon what you see online or on TV as those impressions are likely not what the majority of the group really is if you met and interacted/talked with them personally. I call it the "scourge of the internet" - there is no conversation just mindless sniping at/with anonymous people.
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:50 pm

His best line

I think the point of the article was that the Navy SEAL/vet found a LOT more in common with most younger students he interacted with at Yale than he ever thought he would and they, in turn did the same with him. Recall the presentation they made to him on Veteran's Day.

For Cradle, my (and perhaps this vet's advice) is don't judge people based only upon what you see online or on TV as those impressions are likely not what the majority of the group really is if you met and interacted/talked with them personally. I call it the "scourge of the internet" - there is no conversation just mindless sniping at/with anonymous people.
Everyone being a FLP is a good example.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”