Orange Duce

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: Orange Duce

Post by old salt »

Don't make the mistake of letting Trump define nationalism for you.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... rich-lowry

...nationalism is a very old phenomenon, a natural phenomenon, something empires and totalitarian regimes have tried and failed to eliminate.

...nationalism is a central part of our tradition, part of the mainstream in America.
You don’t get a revolution without it, you don’t get a Constitution without it, you don’t get victory in war without it.

...Democrats have largely turned their back on nationalism, which is partly what enabled Trump to pick up the baton.

It’s not a white culture. It’s absorbed all sorts of influences over time, and it’s open to everyone.

And it’s true that the settlers and founders imagined this as a country for white people, but there’s also a seed of a broader idea there from the beginning.

So white nationalists are telling a lie about our country.

...the reality of how nationalism actually works, what it means to people who embrace the label, and whether it’s possible to overcome that.
...in principle, nationalism can have many, many faces. But it says something about the nature of nationalism that its most frequent and forceful manifestations are often reactionary, often tribal, and yes, often racist.

...American nationalism is different, ...It’s always been more open, it’s always been rooted in individual liberty, and it’s always been a key aspect of our identity from the beginning. I don’t think nationalism is truly tribal unless you have the perspective of a so-called citizen of the world, because nationalism, ...it’s an affiliation or a loyalty that’s above tribe and sect.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:35 pm Don't make the mistake of letting Trump define nationalism for you.

...nationalism is a very old phenomenon, a natural phenomenon, something empires and totalitarian regimes have tried and failed to eliminate.

...nationalism is a central part of our tradition, part of the mainstream in America.
You don’t get a revolution without it, you don’t get a Constitution without it, you don’t get victory in war without it.

...Democrats have largely turned their back on nationalism, which is partly what enabled Trump to pick up the baton.

It’s not a white culture. It’s absorbed all sorts of influences over time, and it’s open to everyone.

And it’s true that the settlers and founders imagined this as a country for white people, but there’s also a seed of a broader idea there from the beginning.

...the reality of how nationalism actually works, what it means to people who embrace the label, and whether it’s possible to overcome that.
...in principle, nationalism can have many, many faces. But it says something about the nature of nationalism that its most frequent and forceful manifestations are often reactionary, often tribal, and yes, often racist.

...American nationalism is different, ...It’s always been more open, it’s always been rooted in individual liberty, and it’s always been a key aspect of our identity from the beginning. I don’t think nationalism is truly tribal unless you have the perspective of a so-called citizen of the world, because nationalism, ...it’s an affiliation or a loyalty that’s above tribe and sect.
Sad.....American Nationalism is not equivalent to White Nationalism or is it your goal that the two carry the same meaning?
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:07 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:35 pm Don't make the mistake of letting Trump define nationalism for you.

Sad.....American Nationalism is not equivalent to White Nationalism or is it your goal that the two carry the same meaning?
No. That appears to be your goal.
White Nationalism is being increasingly used as an interchangeable synonym for White Supremacy.
It's done to give American Nationalism a negative connotation. Woke speech code.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:02 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:07 pm

No. That appears to be your goal.
White Nationalism is being increasingly used as an interchangeable synonym for White Supremacy.
It's done to give American Nationalism a negative connotation. Woke speech code.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/white-nationalism

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/africa/ ... s-prepping

Times are changing. You'll be gone.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:30 am Is Ukrainian nationalism a good thing ?
https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/u ... ood-thing/

or a bad thing ?
https://visegradpost.com/en/2019/04/01/ ... -the-past/
The South Shall Rise Again
“I wish you would!”
CU88

Post by CU88 »

DMac wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:05 pm
CU88 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:29 pm Leaked chat logs have connected seven current members of the U.S. armed forces to a white nationalist group,..

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/white-na ... mg00000004

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate ... ity-evropa
OMFG!!!!! If you don't already have a closet full of weapons and a schidtload of ammo you better hurry and go get some. These seven military guys who are under investigation will be hunting you down, so a word to the wise...hide the women and children too.
There's in the neighborhood of one and a half million members in the military.
You figure you've got a little bit of everything in there just as you do in the civilian population?
Keep spreading your sensationalized bullschidt, 88, but know you're being played like a fiddle and biting like a sucker.
:roll:
Classic response, and I am not surprised.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Exactly the kind of response you deserve for the crap you're spreading around and I'm glad you're not surprised it's coming from me. Seven guys who are under investigation = pervasive in the military and being taught at the military academies. I'd bet you've got more than seven of these types at Cornell University outside of the ROTC unit, which is of course made up entirely of these types.
Just to put you at ease so you can be at peace during the holiday season, don't worry about the fine young men and women in uniform, they're willing to sacrafice for you and protect your right to spread the kind of schidt you're spreading. We're all okay.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Typical brainwashed bs from a Big Green Ego.

Happy Holidays to you and all snowflakes
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical bullschidt from someone who knows all about it because he read an article.
The military academies are coming to Ithaca to recruit some white supremacists, Cornell is swarming with them too. It's an awful place...skinheads and swastika tatts everywhere down there.
I’ve also watched with disgust as Cornell’s campus has been marred with white supremacist activities that mirror the incidents leading up to IC’s 2015 student uprising.
https://theithacan.org/opinion/commenta ... s-of-hate/
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:32 pm
Quite good explanation; thanks.
Bumped this back up. Read the article.

and the definition of "nationalist"
"a person who strongly identifies with their own nation and vigorously supports its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations."

Want to be patriotic, love your country, be willing to defend it?
Fantastic.

Want to be a "nationalist" and I want to know whether you're just ignorant of what that means and you really mean "patriot". I'm willing to give most folks the benefit of the doubt.

Tell me you're a "white nationalist" and I know you're not ok. Same for "black nationalist".
There are a heck of a lot more of the former than the latter, and the FBI and Homeland Security consider them to be a very serious threat...to Americans.

Rich Lowry is a smug intellectual, who pretends not to be racist.
His argument about "American Nationalism" is fully aware of the misuse of the word, that "American Patriotism" does not equal "American Nationalism".

He's simply trying to provide intellectual cover. It's a fail.

Salty, you're playing the same game. You know better.
So, no benefit of doubt at this point.

This is exactly the sort of thing that I said is so dangerous as we move ever close to authoritarianism, the intellectual endorsement.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:24 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:32 pm
Quite good explanation; thanks.
Bumped this back up. Read the article.

and the definition of "nationalist"
"a person who strongly identifies with their own nation and vigorously supports its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations."

Want to be patriotic, love your country, be willing to defend it?
Fantastic.

Want to be a "nationalist" and I want to know whether you're just ignorant of what that means and you really mean "patriot". I'm willing to give most folks the benefit of the doubt.

Tell me you're a "white nationalist" and I know you're not ok. Same for "black nationalist".
There are a heck of a lot more of the former than the latter, and the FBI and Homeland Security consider them to be a very serious threat...to Americans.

Rich Lowry is a smug intellectual, who pretends not to be racist.
His argument about "American Nationalism" is fully aware of the misuse of the word, that "American Patriotism" does not equal "American Nationalism".

He's simply trying to provide intellectual cover. It's a fail.

Salty, you're playing the same game. You know better.
So, no benefit of doubt at this point.

This is exactly the sort of thing that I said is so dangerous as we move ever close to authoritarianism, the intellectual endorsement.
Gaslighting. It’s not an accident. He is the same guy making fun of those black nationalists fellows that argued with the high school kids down in DC. Good candidates for the US Military.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

CU88 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:17 am Typical brainwashed bs from a Big Green Ego.
Help me out with this one, 88, don't quite know what you mean here.
Big Green Ego.....this means one who was/is in the military?
Big Green being Army (but a reference to/for all military people)?
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

I believe we have Cornell versus Dartmouth here. Nobody’s insulting the Army.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:11 am
old salt wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:30 am Is Ukrainian nationalism a good thing ?

or a bad thing ?
...are you referring to the Crimea, or just trolling ?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Trinity wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:26 am I believe we have Cornell versus Dartmouth here. Nobody’s insulting the Army.
Makes no sense, I certainly have no connection with Dartmouth and how anyone could think any differently about that is wayyy beyond me. It is quite precious though that a Cornell boy would be inserting ego into the discussion. Kettle-pot, glass houses and all that stuff.
Maybe 88 will come back out to play a little more and explain it all to us....unless, of course, he's afraid of all the military white supremacists out here.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Trinity wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:26 am I believe we have Cornell versus Dartmouth here. Nobody’s insulting the Army.
Actually no, CU88 did mean the Army or military overall...
No insult to my Big Green in Hanover. :)

We have some posters on here who seem to think that being in the military or a veteran automatically imbues one with qualities of character not found elsewhere in society, as well as some sort of immunity from critique.

I happen to quite agree with you DMac that its quite likely that we can find knuckleheads and idiots and racists and jerks at all sorts of places other than military academies.

I also quite doubt that those running such military institutions skew significantly more racist than their peers at other institutions.

That said, I'd not be at all surprised to learn that the views on such issues of those in the military reflect the views of the demographic from which they came, at least on intake. And, yeah, that does tend to skew more to the demographic most likely to reflect considerable bigotry.

But I'd also like to think (you guys have more background can probably help illuminate this) that the military and service tends to help folks break down prejudices if only by greater exposure to one another, dependence upon one another.

Now, the folks in the White House, that's another matter altogether.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:39 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:11 am

or a bad thing ?
...are you referring to the Crimea, or just trolling ?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”