The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:32 am
tech37 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:38 am
Trinity wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:18 am “NYT reports Chinese hardliners are “jubilant and even incredulous.” They have good cause to cheer because the real issues—from trade barriers to militarism in the South China Sea to human rights violations—remain unaddressed by Trump’s trade deal.”

Max Boot, Conservative
Love him, hate him, or simply willing to tolerate him at times, because after all he is POTUS, Trump has exposed the Chicom's business practices for what they are like no one has before. That alone is very important.

The fact that they are "jubilant" is a good thing since the ongoing deal is allowing them to save face. That's how a good deal works with both parties feeling as though they are benefitting.

Time will tell but if a mechanism to protect IP is an integral part of a deal as the admin claims, and it works, the short term pain caused some by tariffs the past two years may not have been in vain.

All the initial numbers associated with Phase 1 of the deal that people are squabbling about, completely misses the point.

Let's update a famous quote just for this occasion... It's the IP Stupid!
China is simply not going to protect US IP as long as they understand US as a foe rather than an ally in a system in which they benefit.
Period, end of story.
What does that even mean?

We are not arguing that China will protect our IP, we are arguing that they are stealing and then benefiting from our IP.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:11 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:32 am
tech37 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:38 am
Trinity wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:18 am “NYT reports Chinese hardliners are “jubilant and even incredulous.” They have good cause to cheer because the real issues—from trade barriers to militarism in the South China Sea to human rights violations—remain unaddressed by Trump’s trade deal.”

Max Boot, Conservative
Love him, hate him, or simply willing to tolerate him at times, because after all he is POTUS, Trump has exposed the Chicom's business practices for what they are like no one has before. That alone is very important.

The fact that they are "jubilant" is a good thing since the ongoing deal is allowing them to save face. That's how a good deal works with both parties feeling as though they are benefitting.

Time will tell but if a mechanism to protect IP is an integral part of a deal as the admin claims, and it works, the short term pain caused some by tariffs the past two years may not have been in vain.

All the initial numbers associated with Phase 1 of the deal that people are squabbling about, completely misses the point.

Let's update a famous quote just for this occasion... It's the IP Stupid!
China is simply not going to protect US IP as long as they understand US as a foe rather than an ally in a system in which they benefit.
Period, end of story.
What does that even mean?

We are not arguing that China will protect our IP, we are arguing that they are stealing and then benefiting from our IP.
I quite understand. Mostly this is China's companies doing the IP theft (though some is specifically military) but we can't ignore that China's private sector and government are intertwined tightly, in some cases one and the same (we have our share of this dynamic too). They're indeed stealing and benefiting from American IP, as well as anyone else's they can get their hands on.

In order to 'protect' our IP from such theft, the Chinese government would need to not only declare it to be illegal, they'd need to actually enforce that decision.

Not going to happen as long as they consider the US a strategic foe and the US has a 6:1 average income and far higher standard of living, and in which IP theft is one of the fastest ways to catch up.

Until they see the US as a strategic ally in protecting their own IP within a shared international rule of law, they will continue to take the IP they can, whenever they can. Trade wars will never overcome that reality.

And we seem to be head long in a race to which political party can make them feel more foe than competitor or partner, much less ally.

Now it's not at all far-fetched to see how they could soon begin to see greater benefit in that international order, as they are producing engineering talent at an absolutely prodigious pace, vastly dwarfing our own crop of newly minted engineers each year. Their businesses are increasingly innovative, especially with regard to business model innovation, so we are very likely to see them continue to build a massive innovation engine of their own.

That said, they have pretty darn significant cultural issues to overcome before they build a cultural respect for individual ownership of ideas and creativity. That cultural reality impedes the creative risk taking that capitalism and IP protections tend to encourage. Likewise, because of their huge population, they do not have the sort of immigrant risk taking culture we have built (if we don't crush it).

So, we may well continue to out innovate the Chinese on a per capita basis, while also facing the reality that they simply have more total smart people. At some point, they will begin to see the benefit of an international order that protects their as well as our IP. We should encourage them to see and choose that path. But as allies in such.

In the meantime, we'd be smart to double down on our basic research spending as this will be essential to continuing to drive our own breakthroughs. We've disinvested on a relative scale over the last 20 years or so in basic research, while the Chinese have vastly increased their commercialization research spending in key strategic areas...while we twiddle our thumbs relatively speaking. Big mistake, but reversible if we get off our butts and commit. Yes, there will be some misses, but basic research tends to have all sorts of unexpected dividends.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Not that any of this matters, but the pretend CONS just might wanna read the freshly minted, only 48 hours now, $2 trillion budget. And the congressional ticks are dug in and are waiting for donation dollars before digging into this disgusting budget....and tRump has promised to sign it . Yet again. Won't even read it Band aid along the "economy", right up until next fall.....and BAM..........here comes the depression. Only, tRump will most likely win, but whom will he blame? Throw the beautiful Ivanka under the bus, this time.

Shame on COngress too. Seriously, it's like cheating a retarded person out of there change, easy pickings. (only happened a few times, take my sisINlaw out, order, hand her the money, head to the head, a $20 turned into a $10. (she loves Dunkin, HATE the coffee ) tRump just wants to get on the golf course, another lie that matters. But, adding all these last, can't even call last minute because the public has literally only had minutes to READ the $2 trillion budget........and just ignoring it. Don't care WHAT party you think you belong too, because , chances are, most of the "party platform" is ambiguous, at best, and you give much latitude to any platforms. This is especially true on the pretend CONservative side. Why I will NEVER believe in a HIGHer being, because many can't even adhere to the most prominent party platforms. GOP/less this and that, but MORE offensive killing machine spending. Dems/Anti-War. Anti-monopolies. Pro-union (such a see thru sham, the debate Presidential hopefulls are pulling. Union supporters my arse. Not a ONE of them. Not even Pete.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:08 pm Not that any of this matters, but the pretend CONS just might wanna read the freshly minted, only 48 hours now, $2 trillion budget. And the congressional ticks are dug in and are waiting for donation dollars before digging into this disgusting budget....and tRump has promised to sign it . Yet again. Won't even read it Band aid along the "economy", right up until next fall.....and BAM..........here comes the depression. Only, tRump will most likely win, but whom will he blame? Throw the beautiful Ivanka under the bus, this time.

Shame on COngress too. Seriously, it's like cheating a retarded person out of there change, easy pickings. (only happened a few times, take my sisINlaw out, order, hand her the money, head to the head, a $20 turned into a $10. (she loves Dunkin, HATE the coffee ) tRump just wants to get on the golf course, another lie that matters. But, adding all these last, can't even call last minute because the public has literally only had minutes to READ the $2 trillion budget........and just ignoring it. Don't care WHAT party you think you belong too, because , chances are, most of the "party platform" is ambiguous, at best, and you give much latitude to any platforms. This is especially true on the pretend CONservative side. Why I will NEVER believe in a HIGHer being, because many can't even adhere to the most prominent party platforms. GOP/less this and that, but MORE offensive killing machine spending. Dems/Anti-War. Anti-monopolies. Pro-union (such a see thru sham, the debate Presidential hopefulls are pulling. Union supporters my arse. Not a ONE of them. Not even Pete.
Nobody read the tax reform bill
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:18 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:08 pm Not that any of this matters, but the pretend CONS just might wanna read the freshly minted, only 48 hours now, $2 trillion budget. And the congressional ticks are dug in and are waiting for donation dollars before digging into this disgusting budget....and tRump has promised to sign it . Yet again. Won't even read it Band aid along the "economy", right up until next fall.....and BAM..........here comes the depression. Only, tRump will most likely win, but whom will he blame? Throw the beautiful Ivanka under the bus, this time.

So, why do they exist ? And, what does this have to do with the most important job being disgustingly get published so late. Using our money wisely. Unless you enjoy watching brand new piece of garbage , did I mention NEW....US Navy boats trapped in global change ice in Montreal........some excuse, the transmissions were junk and had to be replaced. Ice :roll: that kind of spending... not needed. Problem with offensive killing machine industry, it feeds the few. Doesn't have to be this way. But, we want to pay more to use the "speed" lane and make our highways for the rich. Speedpass only highways. bigots. What's the percentage of photo's of NON-ez pass owners going into collection. 50% 80%, The wimps in Nothern VA allowed public money to build private roads. Stupid people dont understand the civil rights violation softball with these lane restrictions. Espcially if PUBLIC funds built the entire project (of course they did ) My state wants to build more expensive LANES.......pay for privilege of what, no traffic :lol: )

I never read the last few pages of Catcher in the Rye......at some point, you gotta call bs, bs.
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:57 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:18 pm

So, why do they exist ? And, what does this have to do with the most important job being disgustingly get published so late. Using our money wisely. Unless you enjoy watching brand new piece of garbage , did I mention NEW....US Navy boats trapped in global change ice in Montreal........some excuse, the transmissions were junk and had to be replaced. Ice :roll: that kind of spending... not needed. Problem with offensive killing machine industry, it feeds the few. Doesn't have to be this way. But, we want to pay more to use the "speed" lane and make our highways for the rich. Speedpass only highways. bigots. What's the percentage of photo's of NON-ez pass owners going into collection. 50% 80%, The wimps in Nothern VA allowed public money to build private roads. Stupid people dont understand the civil rights violation softball with these lane restrictions. Espcially if PUBLIC funds built the entire project (of course they did ) My state wants to build more expensive LANES.......pay for privilege of what, no traffic :lol: )

I never read the last few pages of Catcher in the Rye......at some point, you gotta call bs, bs.
Try The Stranger
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

....have carpel tunnel as a result, wouldn't recommend it. Putting your arm to sleep has long lasting ..... ;)
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

All three major Stock Market Indices (Dow, S&P, NASDAQ) hit record highs immediately after Trump's Impeachment.

Am I doing this correctly Bandito?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Well I'll be damned... USMCA headed for ratification!

Whether Pelosi was forced to act due to impeachment over reach or not, this is great and perhaps shows there is hope for Congress after all?
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Also record high indexes for food bank use, homelessness, suicide. The American economy is rockin’.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Yep, it's a dog-eat-dog world out there my liberal and negative friend, always has been, always will be...

When our dysfunctional govt actually does something in a bi-partisan manner, that's worth mentioning.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:46 am Also record high indexes for food bank use, homelessness, suicide. The American economy is rockin’.
What is your proposed fix, where your statement can never be made again?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

that's easy, remove Trump from office. :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:57 am Yep, it's a dog-eat-dog world out there my liberal and negative friend, always has been, always will be...

When our dysfunctional govt actually does something in a bi-partisan manner, that's worth mentioning.
Glad to agree with you on this one, tech.

Yes, it's "dog-eat-dog world out there"...in fact that's exactly why conservatives believe that government is actually necessary... to constrain man's worst impulses.

Conservatives, small c, do not believe in a utopia in which people will simply do good to one another.

So, we create structures and institutions that encourage moral behavior and constrain immoral acts. That ranges from religious institutions to government institutions.

In our choice of governmental structures, a constitutional democratic republic, we depend upon the consent of the governed derived through frequent elections, with a brake on the power of the 'mob' through a whole array of essential checks and balances. People need not agree with one another, nor feel that the system optimizes to their personal benefit ,however they do need to maintain a belief that the system is fundamentally fair in the overall distribution of such benefits and privileges. Else the consent of the governed is lost. Various forms of authoritarianism are history's response when consent no longer is preeminent.

I also agree with your sense of dysfunction as well as the importance of bipartisan action.
This hyper partisanship drives dysfunction. Definitely.

In our current iteration, for instance, more than 200 bills passed with bi-partisan support in the House (sounds huge, but true) are frozen at the Senate because McConnell refuses to allow them to even be considered, debated, re-worked...why? Because he says the President won't tell him what he'd sign, so he doesn't want to 'waste time' considering them. Not while he can focus all attention on confirming judges as fast as possible. Why that priority? Because that's what the GOP base wants prioritized. Hyper-partisan.

Where we may disagree is whether government is somehow uniquely dysfunctional relative to other institutions because of 'bureaucracy'. I would disagree, rather the issues of large bureaucracies run across private and public sectors. This is not the source of the sorts of dysfunction that threaten destroying the consent of the governed.

To answer youth's question, at least in part, I'd start (post ignominious defeat of Trumpism at the polls) with a Constitutional amendment to eliminate gerrymandering. Gerrymandering encourages hyper-partisanship on both sides of the aisle.

Eliminate gerrymandering and I think we see a tilt back toward bi-partisanship being rewarded politically instead of penalized.

I think that's more important than eliminating private financing of elections (I think that's a much tougher constitutional challenge). However, I'd focus on making election financing far more transparent. Sunlight.

I'd also consider some form of term limits, though I do think that it's important for these folks to be able to serve multiple terms, competing to do so, as I think that necessity does keep the voter's interests higher in their mind set. I also believe there is expertise built over time that should not be 100% delegated to perpetual staff as would most likely happen otherwise.

Tilt the field back to bi-partisanship and I believe that our decision processes become more functional and more responsive to the needs of the governed. This is not 'conservative' or 'liberal' but rather to finding solutions to difficult challenges.

But note that what I'm describing is the opposite of what Putin (and other authoritarians) want to see happen in the US. They want us tied up in knots, divided. That provides open lanes for their ascendance.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:44 am that's easy, remove Trump from office. :lol:
With whom? Wine cellar Pete?
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:02 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:44 am that's easy, remove Trump from office. :lol:
Works for me.

Pete got the better of that exchange by a wide margin.
And that didn't even include that Warren was flat wrong about that event being closed to the press.

Warren got her butt handed to her.
Amy Klobuchar did far better in her exchange with Pete, but neither were actually damaged by that one.

I'd love to see either Pete or Amy (or both) take on Trump.
I think they'd crush him.

I'm worried about the rest, though I do think Bloomberg would be a great contrast.
Biden had his best night, helping folks like me be a little less worried...but I remain concerned about his ability to actually debate an issue effectively.

Dems, please don't give us Warren or Sanders. It'll make it far harder for us to persuade our pals to cross the line and vote for the Dem.

And it's simply not an attractive proposition to need to listen to them for the next 4 years if they did win.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Is THIS the budget?

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/BUD ... 20-BUD.pdf

Or, is it this ?

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-con ... -bill/1158

or this?

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-con ... 7D&r=6&s=9

Impeachment worked......Holiday season........increased spending. AFAN giving the pretends a pass because they are experienced abusers. THAT makes sense.
Typical Lax Dad

ABV 8.3% wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:40 am Is THIS the budget?

Or, is it this ?

or this?

Impeachment worked......Holiday season........increased spending. AFAN giving the pretends a pass because they are experienced abusers. THAT makes sense.
Is your boy going to veto the bill?
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:46 am
ABV 8.3% wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:40 am Is THIS the budget?

Or, is it this ?

or this?

Is your boy going to veto the bill?
OF course.......how did YOUR members of congress vote? You happy with their votes?
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:12 am
ABV 8.3% wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:02 am
Works for me.

Pete got the better of that exchange by a wide margin.
And that didn't even include that Warren was flat wrong about that event being closed to the press.

Warren got her butt handed to her.
Amy Klobuchar did far better in her exchange with Pete, but neither were actually damaged by that one.

I'd love to see either Pete or Amy (or both) take on Trump.
I think they'd crush him.

I'm worried about the rest, though I do think Bloomberg would be a great contrast.
Biden had his best night, helping folks like me be a little less worried...but I remain concerned about his ability to actually debate an issue effectively.

Dems, please don't give us Warren or Sanders. It'll make it far harder for us to persuade our pals to cross the line and vote for the Dem.

And it's simply not an attractive proposition to need to listen to them for the next 4 years if they did win.
Such a Holden ........why is a CONservative watching a DNC tv show (it's NOT a debate ) .....at all?

Does BIll Weld not do it for you? Why aren't you working to get YOUR gop back?

Return to “POLITICS”