Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stupefied

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by stupefied »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:02 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:01 pm Agreed. And it's not the team with the best players that has the most success. It's the team that comes together the best. If it was otherwise, UNC would have won the National C'ship umpteen times in the past 10-15 years. But, instead, they had some awful season. (Used to drive me crazy to see great HS talent go to UNC to grossly under-perform.) And... I think UVA did a great job of coming together as a team last season. Or, said more accurately, over the past few seasons. And Tiffany had no small role in this. Though, I think few would argue that Conrad had no small role either. Maybe Epstein is that Conrad...
Yup, Conrad was special...leadership from major impact players willing to sacrifice their own role to optimize the team makes a huge difference to team culture, which matters immensely down the stretch.

On the UNC comment, I'm pleased to say that my son's very good buddy Jake Matthai, was a captain of the team that did win it. Similar willingness to do what was best for the team. https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/col ... 79587.html
Conrad was a difference player in so many ways , simply took over fourth quarter vs Maryland . Without him UVA would have been extinguished despite having many talents. Led an amazing come back from five down. Pipe goal or not, UVA was eventually winning that game because of him.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:45 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:54 am What would be far better than trying to have posts deleted, playing ostrich and hoping the stench will go away would be to own it, discuss it openly, and put truth to it.

I’m sure Craig Littlepage’s bumbling around is part of the story too.

It’s a complex, multifaceted case down there, and the important thing is to learn as many lessons from it as possible, NOT bury the story because people get butthurt on message boards.

So, ideally, since wgdsr objected, the best approach would be for him to tell us all what he thinks went down. Set the record straight from his view instead of trying to squelch discussion.
another poster typically like to hear from. then when you get the opportunity to smell chum in the water your preference is to throw out b.s. like it's your god given right.
i think i was pretty clear that if you're just going to out and out lie or put out defamatory garbage, that's what i have a problem with. and why.

aren't you the guy who has multiple times, if not many, tossed out that starsia is responsible for the tragic death of will barrow? oh yeah, you are. own it, you say? so you can just **** off with your sanctimonious post here.
QFP. So you can’t delete what you just said, which in your rage, is incorrect.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Probably better to all take it down a notch.

On a more positive note, Epstein does indeed appear to potentially have special qualities.
It will be interesting to see the outcome of his leadership.

Happy Holidays to all.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

stupefied wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:17 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:48 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:16 am I don’t think it matters so much why UVA decided to make a change. What matters is that it worked out well for them.
Whereas Navy's appears to be a case that other frictions to greater success may overwhelm a fresh start.

Of course, as my fellow math nerds (surely some of you Hopkins alums) would point out, this is a tiny data set with all sorts of complicating factors, so of no real use in drawing conclusions other than Sagittarius' point that a change CAN work out well.
Tiffany implemented an exciting style of play to UVA but he also came in inheriting many top talents that Starsia had recruited that led that team to victory. In fairness to Lars , cant do any better than winning it all. He had his talent realize their potential and his recruiting classes at UVA are strong giving that program strong footings
Would it be a stretch to say that Hopkins, and Hopkins alone, really recruited Harrison, Rabil, bowtie Boy, et al. So, those two championships weren't really Petro's than, either. In theory. One does choose the school, correct? Baltimore may or may not have been tops in murder cities, but I place full blame for the programs downturn on all those Hopkins games being on tv. and not for scouting purposes, which in lacrosse, are mostly NOT to be handled without your skeptic radiation gloves on. Nope, its for showing the world what you will get on the sidelines during games. dead horse stuff, I know, but would YOU wanna play for a guy screaming at a 3rd line middie, 8:23 left in the 4th quarter, beating Frostburg state or whomever by 13 goals, because he shotNscored/bobbled a clearing pass/dozens of reasons for the scream.......you parents watching that game with you, son. recruit. Plenty of HS coaches being sacked across the country for far less. Hopkins gives contract extensions. :lol:

and to Doc B, pretty sure most old LP posters, including many of the Hopkins, would agree that Hopkins NCAA invite was NOT deserved (2010), and another large percentage of same folks would be hard pressed to say they deserved on that year. and that year, as well. I agree, at least 3 of your listed NCAA bids were lax mafia junk. results speak for themselves.

BiB (Bring in Bill ) belichick
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Matthai is a good example. A player who puts the team before his ego. Based on his HS career, he most certainly could have been in a huff about not being treated like the top scoring threat that he was and, instead he did what was best for the team and, as a consequence, like Conrad, he became a team leader, was on the field more, and found his scoring opportunities. I think this is a common trait for National C'ship teams.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:19 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:45 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:54 am What would be far better than trying to have posts deleted, playing ostrich and hoping the stench will go away would be to own it, discuss it openly, and put truth to it.

I’m sure Craig Littlepage’s bumbling around is part of the story too.

It’s a complex, multifaceted case down there, and the important thing is to learn as many lessons from it as possible, NOT bury the story because people get butthurt on message boards.

So, ideally, since wgdsr objected, the best approach would be for him to tell us all what he thinks went down. Set the record straight from his view instead of trying to squelch discussion.
another poster typically like to hear from. then when you get the opportunity to smell chum in the water your preference is to throw out b.s. like it's your god given right.
i think i was pretty clear that if you're just going to out and out lie or put out defamatory garbage, that's what i have a problem with. and why.

aren't you the guy who has multiple times, if not many, tossed out that starsia is responsible for the tragic death of will barrow? oh yeah, you are. own it, you say? so you can just **** off with your sanctimonious post here.
QFP. So you can’t delete what you just said, which in your rage, is incorrect.
quote away, wombat. and the next post of my own i delete will be the first. qfp, rage --- i see what you did there.
pray tell, what is incorrect? and why?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

You seem to know all the right details of the Barrow case. You tell us.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:52 pm You seem to know all the right details of the Barrow case. You tell us.
huh. sure can't say i'm surprised. but seems par for the course around here. happy holidays?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I'm looking at the top recruits for the past numerous years compared to the top (scoring) players in the years that follow and though the correlation isn't perfect, it's pretty darn high. Some top recruits prove to be good, not great. (this happens.) Some great players went relatively unnoticed as incoming freshman. (this is much less common.) Anyway, what i'm noticing is that there are few tricks to mining gold in the world of D1 Men's Lacrosse. The years of "I never heard of that Canadian" or "...that kid from Georgia" or etc. are gone. HS talent are a known commodity. It's just a question of wooing them. Along the same lines, coaches don't necessarily need back-ups for their back-ups because you don't know how players are going to pan out. Again, the correlation isn't perfect but, in general, teams know what they're getting when they get it. Which is helpful. Now, the question is, how to win the critters...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:58 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:52 pm You seem to know all the right details of the Barrow case. You tell us.
huh. sure can't say i'm surprised. but seems par for the course around here. happy holidays?
You dredged all this up. So, tell us the full story.

Afraid to do it?

Please give us the full Dom UVa Apology Tour.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:45 pm
You dredged all this up. nah. most people can read. you can, too. if something's gonna get posted on here, repeatedly -- as i'm sure you're fully behind, i'll go ahead and address it if i feel like it. i did. there was no lawsuit for 3 1/2 full lacrosse seasons. and then at least another season was offered. so folks can decide for themselves whether he was allowed to be kept on for 4 1/2 + seasons after a less-than-one-year-before-dropped lawsuit was around because... lawsuit. how long is four years in hopkins' years? the final four, right?

you then decided it was your prerogative to tell me what to do beyond that. "playing ostrich", "hoping the stench will go away", "own it", "NOT bury the story", "butthurt". creative stuff. then passive aggressive, with a follow on that my reply re: you was inaccurate. and then a refusal to detail what was inaccurate. of course in that reply, i think most folks that can put 2 and 2 together can see (again) where you stand and that in fact -- what i said was very accurate. how do you say -- own it? or is that for other people?
So, tell us the full story.

Afraid to do it?

ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:40 pm I'm looking at the top recruits for the past numerous years compared to the top (scoring) players in the years that follow and though the correlation isn't perfect, it's pretty darn high. Some top recruits prove to be good, not great. (this happens.) Some great players went relatively unnoticed as incoming freshman. (this is much less common.) Anyway, what i'm noticing is that there are few tricks to mining gold in the world of D1 Men's Lacrosse. The years of "I never heard of that Canadian" or "...that kid from Georgia" or etc. are gone. HS talent are a known commodity. It's just a question of wooing them. Along the same lines, coaches don't necessarily need back-ups for their back-ups because you don't know how players are going to pan out. Again, the correlation isn't perfect but, in general, teams know what they're getting when they get it. Which is helpful. Now, the question is, how to win the critters...
Not what I have witnessed, first hand. Probably the most obvious, and recent, a fogo mops the floor at one of you know whose functions/showcase thingiees... BUT......kid played for a no name club, run by a hockey guy. Didn't make the "all star " team. Kid that did got "top" name offers. That kid never came close to beating no name fogo at that showcase. Like the LeMans winner in that movie, Ford vs Feerapairee. The best? Known commodities? FOGO's in Div. I ,know who he is. now.

If it's known commodity, where can we find and read this known commodity ?
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

You dredged all this up. So, tell us the full story.

Afraid to do it?

come on wgdsr, you did, after all, dredge it all up. TELL him how we re kindled our chemistry. Don't be afraid to do it. At this point, your wife and kids know it already. Know the truth. why, deny it. btw, everyones afraid of going on that cruise now, so change of plans. could have set a text with all my cute emojoes, but, since were both on here. speaking of being on something.......when are you COMING ovah?

you told me this was similar to your experience. That this is you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbTKbp1eueI
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:45 pm
You dredged all this up. nah. most people can read. you can, too. if something's gonna get posted on here, repeatedly -- as i'm sure you're fully behind, i'll go ahead and address it if i feel like it. i did. there was no lawsuit for 3 1/2 full lacrosse seasons. and then at least another season was offered. so folks can decide for themselves whether he was allowed to be kept on for 4 1/2 + seasons after a less-than-one-year-before-dropped lawsuit was around because... lawsuit. how long is four years in hopkins' years? the final four, right?

you then decided it was your prerogative to tell me what to do beyond that. "playing ostrich", "hoping the stench will go away", "own it", "NOT bury the story", "butthurt". creative stuff. then passive aggressive, with a follow on that my reply re: you was inaccurate. and then a refusal to detail what was inaccurate. of course in that reply, i think most folks that can put 2 and 2 together can see (again) where you stand and that in fact -- what i said was very accurate. how do you say -- own it? or is that for other people?
So, tell us the full story.

Afraid to do it?

So, no lawsuit equals zero threat of a lawsuit during that entire time?

Riiiggghht.

I’ve seen cases where someone gets punished and an aggrieved party uses that as a huge part of the basis for a lawsuit.

And that seemed to me to be what was going on at the time. And what OC said earlier today.

I don’t see how a coach can be asked to resign and he refuses and then the AD does nothing. Want to explain that? Where’s the leverage in that situation? How does anyone pull that off? Could still be bought out. But wasn’t.

You brought up Barrow. Let me ask you a few questions since you are the expert:

1) How involved were the men’s players with the women’s team, prior to Huguely?

2) What were the circumstances of Barrow’s suicide?

3) Where was his suicide located?

4) Could his suicide have turned into a murder-suicide if someone had been in their own place of residence that day?

5) What did Barrow do to that residence, prior to his suicide?

6) Do you feel any women’s team players should have been very alarmed by that incident?

7) Do you feel any parents of any women’s players should have been alarmed by that incident?

8) What did the UVa Athletics Dept do in response to the Barrow suicide?

9) What did the women’s coaching staff do in response?

10) What did the men’s coaching staff do in response?

11) What did the women’s team members do in response?

12) What did the men’s team members do in response?

I’ll admit I don’t have answers to all of the above, but good reporting would answer them.

And all of the above happened BEFORE Huguely.

Why not help state the truth instead of trying to make it go away?

My point, and has been all along, opportunities to perhaps have prevented some of what happened during that extended time period were tragically missed.

So, you want truth? You want to help shed light on the truth? Or do you want posts deleted and no lessons learned?

You can go look in a mirror and think about who you are and what your behavior here today represents.

I’m personally very unsure that all lessons have been learned and/or will soon be forgotten. And that will be the true tragedy of both Barrow and Love.

If you see something, say something. Get people help.

Happy holidays,
W

And, that’s what I mean by true lacrosse journalism. Dig deep folks. Don’t let more tragedies happen. Ask questions. Demand answers.

But by all means, go have OC and my posts deleted or altered. You will perpetuate the pitfalls of LP.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Didn't anyone else see Petro's twitt about..........you can't make this stuff up.

But, why him? After all, she realized he really could play after all. He said so. Up at Lake Placid.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

wombat made this video. He's crying because he realizes their not chickens.....but, but........kittys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0LeL9BUPtA
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

please stop - i have zero idea what the hell any of you are talking about. Cats, Hopkins professors, HA80 going off the rails, Doc's nonsensical proclamations bring them all back before this

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”