JUST the Stolen Documents/Mar-A-Lago/"Judge" Cannon Trial

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
DMac

Re: The Politics of National Security

Post by DMac »

CU88 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:49 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:22 pm No, that's not what it looks like at all.
"West Point is looking into it and we do not know the intent of the cadets," said Lt. Col. Christopher Ophardt, director of public affairs, in an email.

Cmdr. Alana Garas of the Naval Academy said in an email, "We are aware and will be looking into it."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mi ... y-n1102366
Your statement is a classic example of the kind of misleading trash that makes social media the cesspool that it is, to say nothing about it being highly offensive to a group of young men and women who are generally considered to be a pretty fine lot of folks.

More evidence of white power activisim is the US Military.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... tle-bulge/

Had this been a Black Power post how the r's would be outraged!

DEPLORABLE
You are way out in left field with this but your mind is made up and anything I say is a waste of time.
Was in and around the military for many, many years and never saw any signs of your claims but none of that will matter to you.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:34 pm
You are way out in left field with this but your mind is made up and anything I say is a waste of time.
Was in and around the military for many, many years and never saw any signs of your claims but none of that will matter to you.
[/quote]

we agree, must be the holidays.

While at Parris, the guy in the above bunk was a bed wetter. Found out helping him make his bed first AM. I approached the Senior DI, a few days later. Was blunt. "as long as it doesn't get so bad, it drips down on me, I don't care. I won't say a word " Sr. DI dugg it and knew that I knew, that he knew too, that my bunk mate was, sadly, the typed that Sergeant Waters would have called something horrible (soldiers story )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMk_16hT8Tk

Now, that I think about it, what the heck was I doing even degrading myself by even talking to them.....I am white. (isn't that the narrative. Talk about social experiments, walk around the AA smithsonian with a "...for President " election pin on and see the reactions. I did that this fall )

Do you really think people like us are permeated everywhere in our world? Realists? Stop with this pathetic narrative cu88
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
old salt

Post by old salt »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:03 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:57 pm
You are never going to make o s change his view on history and facts..
Not from someone unwilling to acknowledge that our military readiness has improved over the last 2 years. Improved from what level? Pre- 9/11, where defense didn't exist, protocols ignored, but trillion$ wa$ made, b/c after 9/11, fighter jets are located only 15 minutes from any populated area of one million +, to DEFEND us......that level. :lol:

...& afan still hasn't carefully read (& thought through) this VDH statement :
"where the cost-benefit analysis is murky, we’re not going to get involved, especially in the Middle East'
& considered how it applies to our most recent force number changes in Syria & Saudi Arabia,
Trying to understand the words in green. I think it points out that on 9-11, we had VA ANG F-15's in Richmond, NJ ANG F-16's in Atlantic City, & USAF F-15's in Langley VA, all on strip alert, cocked & ready to intercept Russian bombers or other "unknown riders" penetrating our air space from offshore, yet we could only get 2 unarmed DC ANG F-16's over DC to ram United 93, had it not gone down in PA. Good Point.

I used to fly the low level helo route up the Potomac, starting at the Wilson Bridge, going below the traffic pattern at Reagan National, over the Tidal Basin, enroute to the helo pads at the Pentagon or Bethesda Naval Hospital. My copilot on one of those flights was Tom Clancy's HS buddy & still golfing partner. He knew I was also a general aviation pilot. We mused about how vulnerable the WH, Capitol building & Pentagon were to attack by a commercial or general aviation aircraft. In a subsequent Clancy novel, a highjacked Japanese B747 flew into the Capitol during the State of the Union address. Maybe a coincidence, but 9-11 was a failure of imagination.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Not from someone unwilling to acknowledge that our military readiness has improved over the last 2 years.

"where the cost-benefit analysis is murky, we’re not going to get involved, especially in the Middle East'
& considered how it applies to our most recent force number changes in Syria & Saudi Arabia,
I have read it. It's not my fault that you and VDH don't know what "we're not going to get involved" means to people who speak English.

"We're not going to get involved" does not, under any circumstances mean, for example "we're going to send a few thousand troops and weapons to take up defensive positions in Saudi Arabia". That's what "getting involved" looks like.

Welcome to TrumpWorld, I guess. Where words have no concrete meaning anymore, and mean whatever a partisan wants them to mean.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:46 pm

While at Parris, the guy in the above bunk was a bed wetter. Found out helping him make his bed first AM. I approached the Senior DI, a few days later. Was blunt. "as long as it doesn't get so bad, it drips down on me, I don't care. I won't say a word " Sr. DI dugg it and knew that I knew, that he knew too, that my bunk mate was, sadly, the typed that Sergeant Waters would have called something horrible (soldiers story )

Now, that I think about it, what the heck was I doing even degrading myself by even talking to them.....I am white. (isn't that the narrative. Talk about social experiments, walk around the AA smithsonian with a "...for President " election pin on and see the reactions. I did that this fall )

Do you really think people like us are permeated everywhere in our world? Realists? Stop with this pathetic narrative cu88
There is not a single White Nationalist in the military. Not one!

Right. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:05 pm

I guess so. You would have to define what a White Nationalist IS, in the first place. (I would interweb a search for it, but afraid I would get pop up ads for dollar donations to Manafort, Flynn and other legal fundraisings )

But, so what..........will post my current thoughts on another thread. don't wanna piss off the "whataboutisms or threadnazi police"
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

CU88 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:49 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:22 pm No, that's not what it looks like at all.
"West Point is looking into it and we do not know the intent of the cadets," said Lt. Col. Christopher Ophardt, director of public affairs, in an email.

Cmdr. Alana Garas of the Naval Academy said in an email, "We are aware and will be looking into it."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mi ... y-n1102366
Your statement is a classic example of the kind of misleading trash that makes social media the cesspool that it is, to say nothing about it being highly offensive to a group of young men and women who are generally considered to be a pretty fine lot of folks.

More evidence of white power activisim is the US Military.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... tle-bulge/

Had this been a Black Power post how the r's would be outraged!

DEPLORABLE
There is actually some evidence that there is an issue of people with white supremacist views in the military - but that it also is not necessarily long standing nor widespread. I suspect that it is minimal to non-existent at the service academies, as the process to gain entry is still pretty rigorous. If there is an issue here, I would suspect it is actually stupidity at work...

But there are those in the movement who view the military as something they can infiltrate...
DMac

Post by DMac »

No one is saying this, 72. Of course, just as in the civilian population, there is a little bit of everything in the military, but CU88 came on here claiming that white nationalist/white power stuff was/is being taught at the military academies which is just absolute BS.
a fan

Post by a fan »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:01 pm
Not from someone unwilling to acknowledge that our military readiness has improved over the last 2 years.

I have read it. It's not my fault that you and VDH don't know what "we're not going to get involved" means to people who speak English.

"We're not going to get involved" does not, under any circumstances mean, for example "we're going to send a few thousand troops and weapons to take up defensive positions in Saudi Arabia". That's what "getting involved" looks like.

Welcome to TrumpWorld, I guess. Where words have no concrete meaning anymore, and mean whatever a partisan wants them to mean.
And the other side of this VDH silliness, obviously, is that you can apply this pointless assessment by VDH to any military decision made by any President we've ever had, or ever will have.

Syria and Obama? Obama thought the cost benefit analysis was murky. So he didn't get involved.

Iraq and Bush? Bush thought the cost benefit analysis was clear. So he got involved.

Understand how dumb and useless VDH's assessment of Trump and the ME is now?

Again: Partisan nonsense sadly renders VDH's erudition pointless. In other words, he's sooooo desperate to assign Trump's policies as concrete and knowable. Reality? They change by the tweet, and Trump's own Generals are constantly caught by surprise by Trump's erratic behavior and orders.

But because Trump has a little R by his name, VDH can't point this obvious fact out....so he instead tries to force a "Trump Doctrine" in hindsight.

Can't put a large square peg in a small round hole, VDH. Sorry buddy.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:18 pm

No one is saying this, 72. Of course, just as in the civilian population, there is a little bit of everything in the military, but CU88 came on here claiming that white nationalist/white power stuff was/is being taught at the military academies which is just absolute BS.
I don't believe it is being taught in a sanctioned fashion. I think in general the military leadership is sensitive to the issue and understand how bad it would be for the military to in any way support White Nationalism. That is not to say that it doesn't exist or that there are not covert pockets that have found their way into the military. In fact I would be surprised if it were not the case.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:01 pm

He's saying we're not going to get involved --> where the cost benefit analysis is murky.
The cost benefit analysis is not murky in the changes to our force levels that Trump has made since taking office.
You fail to grasp the reality that we were already involved in the ME when Trump took office. He has not gotten us involved in any new conflicts.
He's adjusted our force levels in the ME -- shifted them around based on the advice of his military commanders.
He has done so, in a cost effective manner. -- getting SA to pick up the marginal costs of deploying air defenses to better defend our forces already in the ME. Adjusting our forces & strategy in Syria to allow the SDF to retain the oil fields in NE Syria to finance their operations & detaining IS prisoners, without obligating the US to costly peacekeeping, reconstruction or nation building missions.

Speaking of VDH -- here's a blurb for his latest book which accounts for Trump's ascendance for those who have yet to figure it out :
Why America needed-and needs-President Donald J. Trump In The Case for Trump, award-winning historian and political commentator Victor Davis Hanson explains how a celebrity businessman with no political or military experience triumphed over sixteen well-qualified Republican rivals, a Democrat with a quarter-billion-dollar war chest, and a hostile media and Washington establishment to become president of the United States-and an extremely successful president.Trump alone saw a political opportunity in defending the working people of America's interior whom the coastal elite of both parties had come to scorn, Hanson argues. And Trump alone had the instincts and energy to pursue this opening to victory, dismantle a corrupt old order, and bring long-overdue policy changes at home and abroad. We could not survive a series of presidencies as volatile as Trump's. But after decades of drift, America needs the outsider Trump to do what normal politicians would not and could not do-a fact that explains the furor directed at Trump by the political and media status quo.
DMac

Post by DMac »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:32 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:18 pm

I don't believe it is being taught in a sanctioned fashion. I think in general the military leadership is sensitive to the issue and understand how bad it would be for the military to in any way support White Nationalism. That is not to say that it doesn't exist or that there are not covert pockets that have found their way into the military. In fact I would be surprised if it were not the case.
There is no reason to believe that there is any difference in the make up of the population in the military than in the general population, so of course there is likely a "covert pocket" and you'd be surprised "if it were not the case." To suggest, as CU88 has, that it is being taught at the acadamies or that it is acceptable in the military ranks is just ludicrous.
Last edited by DMac on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:47 pm He's saying we're not going to get involved --> where the cost benefit analysis is murky.
The cost benefit analysis is not murky in the changes to our force levels that Trump has made since taking office.
You fail to grasp the reality that we were already involved in the ME when Trump took office. He has not gotten us involved in any new conflicts
Yes. Yes he has. What are those troops doing in Saudi Arabia if they aren't "involved in a new conflict"? Are they sight seeing? Or did Trump send them because of new and changing threats from Iran/Yemen?

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:47 pmHe's adjusted our force levels in the ME -- shifted them around based on the advice of his military commanders. He has done so, in a cost effective manner.
Cost effective? Jeezus H on a popsicle stick. Trump has blown more money on the military than any other President since WWII ended.

Cost effective? :lol: If this was even remotely true, military spending would go down.

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:47 pm Trump alone saw a political opportunity in defending the working people of America's interior whom the coastal elite of both parties had come to scorn, Hanson argues. And Trump alone had the instincts and energy to pursue this opening to victory, dismantle a corrupt old order, and bring long-overdue policy changes at home and abroad.
:lol: Great. So now VDH is an amateur economist, and is buying Trump's BS.

Old Salt----go ahead and list what Trump has done for flyover America. For working people. Go ahead. Should be a long list if it got the attention of VDH, no?

For me? He's just about to sign a bill that will stuff about $250K into my pocket each year, while the service on the debt will surpass total military spending in 2026.

And it's the same deal for all the "coastal elite" I know....all living in big cities. All with great, secure jobs. All getting fat tax breaks. All with six or seven figures in the stock market. A stock market propped by trillions of borrowed dollars.

Meanwhile, Trump's forgotten voters? How's that workin' out for them? Any help with health care? Or education? Or good paying jobs with bennies?

At this point, my bag of popcorn is out, and if this is what people want? Okie-dokie. Sit back, munch on popcorn, and laugh as TrumpFans revel in their self-inflicted wounds because they think Trump's meantweets to libs means he's sticking it to them economically. Nope. They're taking all the money and GDP increases, while flyover American burns.

I'm done caring about them. TrumpVoters are 1000% times more smug than libs. I didn't think that it was possible to be more smug than a lib, but here we are. Four more years of burning under Trump.....and we all know they will STILL find a way to blame the libs for their economic hopelessness.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:50 am
dislaxxic wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:33 am mmmmm....Darla....

Miss Crabtree.

:D :D
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

dislaxxic wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:50 am
dislaxxic wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:33 am mmmmm....Darla....

Miss Crabtree.

:D :D
wow.....nevah knew how much gary cooper ?? looks like a good friend of mine. remarkable resemblence . And character's are similar.

it that you, bart, in the bonnett? Looking glowingly at whatevah taats Presidential candidate the DNC puts in the drivers seat. :D
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:52 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:47 pm He's saying we're not going to get involved --> where the cost benefit analysis is murky.
You fail to grasp the reality that we were already involved in the ME when Trump took office. He has not gotten us involved in any new conflicts
Yes. Yes he has. What are those troops doing in Saudi Arabia if they aren't "involved in a new conflict"? Are they sight seeing? Or did Trump send them because of new and changing threats from Iran/Yemen? The generic threat from Iran is not new, nor is the civil war in Yemen. There is a new aspect of the threat from Iran -- the missiles they launched from SW Iran on SA's oil fields was a new threat to our nearby forces. So we brought in air defense forces to SA which protect the forces we already have in Qatar, UAE, & Bahrain. SA's air defenses were oriented to the S to defend against missiles launched from Yemen. This left the back door open for an Iranian missile attack from the N from SW Iran. SA doesn't have the air defense assets to defend both, so we stepped in to protect them AND our forces nearby. SA is funding the cost of that deployment, which protects them AND our forces already nearby. It will also help mitigate the effect of a carrier gap in the region.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/mideast/u- ... i-n1031916

This new deployment provides the U.S. military with another location in the region to counter a possible threat from Iran. The U.S. official said the base provides the U.S. with "strategic standoff" and "defensive depth" with Iran, meaning the ability to counter Iran from a distance while not being in range of Iranian missiles.

The officials described this deployment as expeditionary rather than permanent basing, with the new presence remaining there as long as tensions remain high with Iran.
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:47 pmHe's adjusted our force levels in the ME -- shifted them around based on the advice of his military commanders. He has done so, in a cost effective manner.
Cost effective? Jeezus H on a popsicle stick. Trump has blown more money on the military than any other President since WWII ended. Not on deployments. The cost of catching up on deferred maint, overhauls, service life extensions & new weapons, after nearly 2 decades of over use & extended deployments.

Cost effective? :lol: If this was even remotely true, military spending would go down.
Military costs won't go down until our global tasking goes down. Under Trump, we finished up a large scale air war against IS in Syria & we continue to bomb the Taliban + AQ + IS in Afghanistan. That carries a cost, but nothing close to the large scale ground conflicts which preceded them in Iraq & Afghanistan.
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:47 pm Trump alone saw a political opportunity in defending the working people of America's interior whom the coastal elite of both parties had come to scorn, Hanson argues. And Trump alone had the instincts and energy to pursue this opening to victory, dismantle a corrupt old order, and bring long-overdue policy changes at home and abroad.
:lol: Great. So now VDH is an amateur economist, and is buying Trump's BS.

Old Salt----go ahead and list what Trump has done for flyover America. For working people. Go ahead. Should be a long list if it got the attention of VDH, no?

For me? He's just about to sign a bill that will stuff about $250K into my pocket each year, while the service on the debt will surpass total military spending in 2026.

And it's the same deal for all the "coastal elite" I know....all living in big cities. All with great, secure jobs. All getting fat tax breaks. All with six or seven figures in the stock market. A stock market propped by trillions of borrowed dollars.

Meanwhile, Trump's forgotten voters? How's that workin' out for them? Any help with health care? Or education? Or good paying jobs with bennies?

At this point, my bag of popcorn is out, and if this is what people want? Okie-dokie. Sit back, munch on popcorn, and laugh as TrumpFans revel in their self-inflicted wounds because they think Trump's meantweets to libs means he's sticking it to them economically. Nope. They're taking all the money and GDP increases, while flyover American burns.

I'm done caring about them. TrumpVoters are 1000% times more smug than libs. I didn't think that it was possible to be more smug than a lib, but here we are. Four more years of burning under Trump.....and we all know they will STILL find a way to blame the libs for their economic hopelessness.
You hold yourself up as a man of the people & friend of the farmer. You don't need me to tell you. You're so much smarter than all those Trump voters. Perhaps it's because of attitudes like yours that they vote for Trump.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:54 pm
ABV 8.3% wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:03 pm
Not from someone unwilling to acknowledge that our military readiness has improved over the last 2 years. Improved from what level? Pre- 9/11, where defense didn't exist, protocols ignored, but trillion$ wa$ made, b/c after 9/11, fighter jets are located only 15 minutes from any populated area of one million +, to DEFEND us......that level. :lol:

Trying to understand the words in green. I think it points out that on 9-11, we had VA ANG F-15's in Richmond, NJ ANG F-16's in Atlantic City, & USAF F-15's in Langley VA, all on strip alert, cocked & ready to intercept Russian bombers or other "unknown riders" penetrating our air space from offshore, yet we could only get 2 unarmed DC ANG F-16's over DC to ram United 93, had it not gone down in PA. Good Point.

I used to fly the low level helo route up the Potomac, starting at the Wilson Bridge, going below the traffic pattern at Reagan National, over the Tidal Basin, enroute to the helo pads at the Pentagon or Bethesda Naval Hospital. My copilot on one of those flights was Tom Clancy's HS buddy & still golfing partner. He knew I was also a general aviation pilot. We mused about how vulnerable the WH, Capitol building & Pentagon were to attack by a commercial or general aviation aircraft. In a subsequent Clancy novel, a highjacked Japanese B747 flew into the Capitol during the State of the Union address. Maybe a coincidence, but 9-11 was a failure of imagination.
went to a helicopter museum during some wedding downtime........they had a simulator. I was with two fixed wing pilots and a nephew, who is an embarrassment to the family, attending a state college. "We don't wanna hear about how good some school is, that sounds like a place where you send a bunch of lunies, Merryland. geez. " Didn't know Terps had aviation engineering, beyond stadium surfing. Talk about aviation. ......

....anyway, full on Huey, I think (you know, the one that made LBJ very, very wealthy, oh, sorry, that was Bell ) simulator, so you could fire the cannon too.

2 pilots crashed. Every single time. Me, just wanted to fire the gun AND fly.........after 7 or 8 failed attempts, wanted to watch the idiot state school grad do it again, with perfection, with a few crashes at takeoff only, or firing while manuvering........we all concluded, except the embarrassing state college nephew, that flying helicopters was hard. The intro video had some mad skilled helo pilot . Stayed, ironically, at the home of one of my hero's. So, the helo museum in that area of PA
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:40 pm Military costs won't go down until our global tasking goes down. Under Trump, we finished up a large scale air war against IS in Syria & we continue to bomb the Taliban + AQ + IS in Afghanistan. That carries a cost, but nothing close to the large scale ground conflicts which preceded them in Iraq & Afghanistan.
You've spent the last three years telling me tasking under Trump is going down.

And you just did it again in your last sentence. So which is it?
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:47 pm You hold yourself up as a man of the people & friend of the farmer. You don't need me to tell you. You're so much smarter than all those Trump voters. Perhaps it's because of attitudes like yours that they vote for Trump.
Nope-ity-nope. You've got it backwards. You and VDH and FoxNation have been selling us that Trump is following a better path, and you know better than the rest of us. The rest of us who dare challenge Trump's results have TDS, remember? Been hearing it for three years now. Three years, Trump has yet to make a wrong move for you and VDH. Neat, right?

And now, you and VDH are selling us that Trump is economically helping the working man, while economically sticking it to the coastal elites.

I'm capitulating. You and your fellow TrumpFans have sold me. You're right, and I'm wrong.

So since you and TrumpLand have it all figured out, let's do another four years of this. Obviously, at the end of those four years, the working man will be far ahead economically, and all those coastal elites and their advanced degrees will be behind economically. This means, obviously, the gap between rich and poor should materially shrink.

We'll revisit this post in 2024 and have a look at the ol' scoreboard.

BTW, two years after Trump leaves----just as a reminder----service on the debt will exceed total military spending.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

old salt wrote;

Yeah, thank you. Still doesn't answer the question. Has our defense of the actual people that pay the bills improved from this treasonus "readiness" strategy , why the F do we have FIGHTER jets if you send them up into the air making it impossible to complete it's mission, which is to FIGHT. in the first place. It's as if Lebanon didn't happen. According to a former poster, Ivy grad, it didn't happen. Regardless, was that really almost 40 years ago? , with results like these , why do certain things exist ? at all ? Do we remember NOTHING. If you can't arm them, you don't send them. end of story. just mho
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:33 pm ^^^it's a 2018 article. It should be filed under recycled old news.
Old, but accurate. Any independent reports on actual readiness to support any of your claims?

Return to “POLITICS”