The DOGS Thread

General Chatter
foreverlax

Re: The DOGS thread is back.

Post by foreverlax »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:45 pm
Oldbarndog wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:10 pm Musher's Secret. Great stuff for paw pads, especially in winter to protect from road salt.
Thanks for the tip. It took me way too long to see the irritation between her pads. I should have paid closer attention.
Glad to hear the good news! Nothing better then a man, a dog and a ball.

We ignored our 8 y.o. dog's limp for a few days....took her in and turns out she had a fracture around here hock/ankle joint. Doc suggested to NOT cast it the break since that often creates hot spots from rubbing. So leash walking for a month vs letting her run free in our woods/field. Plus she had to be carried up and down the steps...she weights in at 50lbs.

Took her in for a follow up and the Doc found she had completely torn the tendon. Surgery and more weeks of carrying her up and down the steps and leash walks. 50/50 chance that during recovery the other leg gets injured.

8 weeks post surgery and she has finally got a skip in her step again. Doc was crystal clear - her ball chasing days on land are O.V.E.R. The good news, she loves to swim and will fetch the ball as it floats down river.

The look(s) she has given us speaks volumes - What the heck did I do to deserve this!!

Our other dog really misses his wing-girl in their daily hunt for chipmunks.

#DogsRule!!
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

foreverlax wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:24 am
Oldbarndog wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:10 pm Musher's Secret. Great stuff for paw pads, especially in winter to protect from road salt.
Thanks for the tip. It took me way too long to see the irritation between her pads. I should have paid closer attention.

We ignored our 8 y.o. dog's limp for a few days....took her in and turns out she had a fracture around here hock/ankle joint. Doc suggested to NOT cast it the break since that often creates hot spots from rubbing. So leash walking for a month vs letting her run free in our woods/field. Plus she had to be carried up and down the steps...she weights in at 50lbs.

Took her in for a follow up and the Doc found she had completely torn the tendon. Surgery and more weeks of carrying her up and down the steps and leash walks. 50/50 chance that during recovery the other leg gets injured.

8 weeks post surgery and she has finally got a skip in her step again. Doc was crystal clear - her ball chasing days on land are O.V.E.R. The good news, she loves to swim and will fetch the ball as it floats down river.

The look(s) she has given us speaks volumes - What the heck did I do to deserve this!!

#DogsRule!!
Thank you for an awesome post forever. I am so happy your girl is doing well. I always get emotional when the dog wins. Our yellow lab is holding her own. She is a retired fanatical ball chaser. Up until 2 months ago she was full speed full tilt crazy when it came to chasing her balls. Retirement was her decision.. not mine. Some days when she is perky she will trot after 2 or 3 balls rolled close by. Her passion now is lying on the grass and watching the birds at the feeders. On occasions she will chase her forever hated enemy the squirrel up onto the electric wires. It takes an enormous amount of love and dedication to take care of our best friends. It hurts me to no end to have to help Jenna up the steps to the deck. She is my girl and I will do whatever I have to do to help her out. The 12 years of unconditional love she has given us... giving her a little help when she needs it... that is how I repay my love to this wonderful dog. Her "ball face" is so wonderful we had an artist draw a picture that hangs above our fireplace beside my beloved black lab Tugger. Everytime I hear someone say … "its just a dog" They are someone that has missed out on something that only a dog lover can understand.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

old salt wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:54 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:42 pm
seacoaster wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:08 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:04 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:52 am That's funny, nothing better than a buddy, tennis ball, and game of fetch in the water for a Lab.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edyi_YcQy3g
Dmac, your post made me smile and cry at the same time. I remember when my black lab became sick so quickly and we had to put her down. When I posted that you were one of the folks that understood and shared with me how hard it was watching your sons dog reaching the end. Well our yellow lab Jenna is now getting to the end of the road. She is only a little past 12 years old but her hips are giving out on her. The connection to tennis balls is what is about for me. I believe in her 12 plus years she has chased down over a million tennis balls I have thrown to her. She even has a look on her puss that we call ball face... her ears jacked up and her body twitching for the next throw one more ball. I now have to help her up the steps to the deck. What broke my heart this weekend was I rolled the ball at her and she touched it with her paw and would not pick it up in her mouth. She was telling me no more. It broke my heart, I love this dog so much. Your pics about your sons dog and the love that dog shares for doing what a lab was born to do made my day.
Sorry to hear this C&S. Sounds like that dog and her owner found and helped each other form 12 years. Hang in there.
My dog is trying to make a fool out of me. We noticed she had some irritation between the pads on her back legs. She has been on meds for the last week and is like a brand new dog. She is even chasing balls a little bit now and when she is in the mood climbing the stairs on the deck. I feel bad I did not notice the irritation sooner. With any luck she will be with us for awhile longer... :D
Every day's a bonus. Spend as much time with her as you can & spoil her as much as possible.

My best buddy just turned 11. He's still doing well, but I'm trying to make every day his best.
Thanki you for your kind thoughts OS. You are spot on... our jenna is IMO the most spoiled and loved dog on the planet. I would not have it any other way.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:09 pm

#DogsRule!!
Thank you for an awesome post forever. I am so happy your girl is doing well. I always get emotional when the dog wins. Our yellow lab is holding her own. She is a retired fanatical ball chaser. Up until 2 months ago she was full speed full tilt crazy when it came to chasing her balls. Retirement was her decision.. not mine. Some days when she is perky she will trot after 2 or 3 balls rolled close by. Her passion now is lying on the grass and watching the birds at the feeders. On occasions she will chase her forever hated enemy the squirrel up onto the electric wires. It takes an enormous amount of love and dedication to take care of our best friends. It hurts me to no end to have to help Jenna up the steps to the deck. She is my girl and I will do whatever I have to do to help her out. The 12 years of unconditional love she has given us... giving her a little help when she needs it... that is how I repay my love to this wonderful dog. Her "ball face" is so wonderful we had an artist draw a picture that hangs above our fireplace beside my beloved black lab Tugger. Everytime I hear someone say … "its just a dog" They are someone that has missed out on something that only a dog lover can understand.
We share that sentiment. In our home dogs are people
My wife and I have had a bunch of dogs, always 2 and a lot of years 3. From Jack Russells to Airedales to Baltimore Retriever (best of the city/best of the county :lol: ).

All but 3 have been rescues, two of them were just farm puppies. The Airedale was our only pure bred. He was something...76 pounds of head and jaw. Teddy R used them to hunt - never a concern when momma ran the trail. (I paid out an embarrassing amount of money having car doors buffed out. We were terrible owners and didn't train him...we learned our lesson.) Our next dog(s) have to "brown dogs" under 25#.

The one rule that works for us - we allow any living thing to wallow in it's own waste, dogs included. ;)
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

foreverlax wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:02 pm

#DogsRule!!
My wife and I have had a bunch of dogs, always 2 and a lot of years 3. From Jack Russells to Airedales to Baltimore Retriever (best of the city/best of the county :lol: ).

All but 3 have been rescues, two of them were just farm puppies. The Airedale was our only pure bred. He was something...76 pounds of head and jaw. Teddy R used them to hunt - never a concern when momma ran the trail. (I paid out an embarrassing amount of money having car doors buffed out. We were terrible owners and didn't train him...we learned our lesson.) Our next dog(s) have to "brown dogs" under 25#.

The one rule that works for us - we allow any living thing to wallow in it's own waste, dogs included. ;)
Again forever thank you for uplifting my spirits. All of my dogs have been rescue dogs. Christmas eve 2003 my beloved goldie had a stroke. I came home from work and he was paralyzed and could not stand up. I had to wait until the day after Christmas to have him put to sleep. It took me until Valentines day 2004 to look through my local pound to try and find another goldie. The dog that I found was not the dog I was looking for. She was a 6 month old black lab/pit bull mix. I never thought twice about her until she picked up her stuffed toy and walked over to me wagging her tail. The lady at the pound said that I was the only person she had ever taken a liking to. My little Tugger adopted me... I never had a choice. What this dog gave to me in the time we had together is a gift I can never repay. She came into my life at the lowest point in my life ever. She was the gift to me that kept me focused on taking care of her kept me distracted from the troubles at hand. We would drive out to Hamlin Beach State Park on the nice summer nights and she would chase sticks until the sun went down. I would take her to the Seneca park zoo and we would walk the 3 mile round trip trail summer, fall, winter and spring. She was my constant companion everywhere I went. When I met my wife in 2008 our first date was her and I and Tugger walking on the Charlotte Pier and my wife spoon feeding her ice cream. At the same point in time my wife adopted Jenna our yellow lab rescue that came from Ohio. These two dogs were the best buds ever until my Tugger became very sick very fast and I had no choice but to put her to sleep. Jenna has been my constant and faithful sidekick ever since then. No matter where I go in the house... jenna has to be where I am. I have been blessed to have been given 2 such loyal friends that have given me so much more than I could ever give them. I have repaid both of them with all of the love in my heart. My wife said to me the other day that this is it... no more dogs... we can never replace Jenna or Tugger. My response was we can never replace them... but there are so many dogs out there that need someone to love them. It is not about replacing them but about finding another animal that needs our love.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:06 pm
foreverlax wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:02 pm

#DogsRule!!

Again forever thank you for uplifting my spirits. All of my dogs have been rescue dogs. Christmas eve 2003 my beloved goldie had a stroke. I came home from work and he was paralyzed and could not stand up. I had to wait until the day after Christmas to have him put to sleep. It took me until Valentines day 2004 to look through my local pound to try and find another goldie. The dog that I found was not the dog I was looking for. She was a 6 month old black lab/pit bull mix. I never thought twice about her until she picked up her stuffed toy and walked over to me wagging her tail. The lady at the pound said that I was the only person she had ever taken a liking to. My little Tugger adopted me... I never had a choice. What this dog gave to me in the time we had together is a gift I can never repay. She came into my life at the lowest point in my life ever. She was the gift to me that kept me focused on taking care of her kept me distracted from the troubles at hand. We would drive out to Hamlin Beach State Park on the nice summer nights and she would chase sticks until the sun went down. I would take her to the Seneca park zoo and we would walk the 3 mile round trip trail summer, fall, winter and spring. She was my constant companion everywhere I went. When I met my wife in 2008 our first date was her and I and Tugger walking on the Charlotte Pier and my wife spoon feeding her ice cream. At the same point in time my wife adopted Jenna our yellow lab rescue that came from Ohio. These two dogs were the best buds ever until my Tugger became very sick very fast and I had no choice but to put her to sleep. Jenna has been my constant and faithful sidekick ever since then. No matter where I go in the house... jenna has to be where I am. I have been blessed to have been given 2 such loyal friends that have given me so much more than I could ever give them. I have repaid both of them with all of the love in my heart. My wife said to me the other day that this is it... no more dogs... we can never replace Jenna or Tugger. My response was we can never replace them... but there are so many dogs out there that need someone to love them. It is not about replacing them but about finding another animal that needs our love.
Got chills....thanks back.

We get back 10x more then we give.
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

Always felt you never get over it, you just have to get better with it.

Have transitioned from the puppy thing to the rescue thing with our last three labs. Must say we've hit the jackpot with all of them, although the last "pup to passing" was an all time true gut wrencher, a once in a lifetime boy.

So many great dogs in need of a home though. Never thought we could take on another after Baxter, three later, life's still better with labs.
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Oldbarndog wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:57 pm Always felt you never get over it, you just have to get better with it.

Have transitioned from the puppy thing to the rescue thing with our last three labs. Must say we've hit the jackpot with all of them, although the last "pup to passing" was an all time true gut wrencher, a once in a lifetime boy.

So many great dogs in need of a home though. Never thought we could take on another after Baxter, three later, life's still better with labs.
Thank you for your thoughts and understanding. Most folks don't understand the love and attachment we have to our dogs. Having to make the decision to take them to that trip to the vet still breaks my heart.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Sorry if this has been posted before but I just stumbled upon this for the first time. From one of my favorite actors and my favorite night show host.
DMac, Cradle, Trinity and others ..the tennis ball reference sure hits home. You might need a Kleenex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwGnCIdHQH0
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thanks for posting, 6, two of the best. Well, maybe three if you're counting Bo.
Hadn't seen that in quite some time, a tear jerker indeed.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

A video of my 17 month old granddaughter Carolyn and Dixie, the family dog. My daughter rescued Dixie, a Border Collie mix ? when she was a puppy. Carolyn's first word wasn't mommy or daddy but rather "Dithi", she cant quite get the X yet.

https://cvws.icloud-content.com/B/AZ53U ... Pbw4&teh=2
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Pooch and Princess = a howling successful duo:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYRx4U ... c7B4AaABCQ
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

DMac

Post by DMac »

This guy's got some really nice dogs....a little fruity, but nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRlCXa5k5V8
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

During the Thanksgiving holiday many airports are deploying therapy dogs to relieve stress. So now you can have your crotch poked at to lift your spirits.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ cute critters - I hope they were generously rewarded for all that strenuous trekking :)

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

pooch at work:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZbQsiRRPN8

Buddy Mercury Good Morning America Announcement AROO!

Tune in Friday the 13th early in the morning for this spectacular show. :D

DMac

Post by DMac »

BUDDY, THE CANINE CROONER, WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(in his category)
Happy for Buddy but was happier Amy was wearing a short(ish) dress....incredible legs!!!

Izzy the Huskie wins pet of the year.
Am not going to bark about that but
I'm not much of a Huskie fan.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”