W&L 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ctbagataway

Re: W&L 2020

Post by ctbagataway »

That was an interesting take by Whipsnake, something that I haven't seen on the field. From what I have seen, players have played through injuries, come back from tough losses, and have typically been the more physical defense on the field. Not sure what Whip's point was there.
minkhoo

Post by minkhoo »

Based on his posts, Whip is more partial to another ODAC team. To each his own...
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:26 pm Looking forward to the official team roster to be posted. Anyone have any idea as to what freshman might emerge like a Mulholland two years ago or Mize last season. I’m voting for Holliday 😊
Hudson Pokorny should emerge pretty quickly as a contributor. I say it all the time: Connecticut kids know how to play, and Darien kids are another level as far as field awareness, hitting the open man, hard rides. Pokorny can shoot with either hand, and has great vision. You'll have fun with him.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

W&L has done a good job in staying relevant in the D3 landscape, if one counts conference titles, strength of schedule and NCAA appearances. The question is can they become more consistent in their results making an NCAA tournament bid a given and finally getting to at least a final 4 ? The tournament team that lost to Dickinson two years ago was a strong contender to make that case but lost that opportunity. Last years group also had the pieces that I think had the parts to go further than they did. Did both those teams underachieve relative to their talent? Maybe wrong but this season might see some regression. Midfield is loaded, lots of opportunities on attack and in defensive roles. Biggest challenge maybe can the coaching staff develop the talent that’s there, get the most out of the players and utilize them in a way that best suits their talents. I like the fact they were willing to move players around late last season and sounds like there have been some position changes ( ssdm, last) already this season. It will be here soon
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Maybe I'm overly confident, but I think they will be fine offensively. They graduated 27% of their goals, most of which was AJ, but there were lots of younger players contributing who I think will grow into their roles. On defense, there will be a lot of new faces. Fortunately, they have one of the best defensive coaches in D3 along with a strong returning goaltender and one of the best FOGO's. Possessions will be important, particularly early in the season. Turnovers were a problem last year and that needs to be corrected for them to win tough games with what will be a young defense.
Dehuntshigwa’es

ctbagataway wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:12 am Maybe I'm overly confident, but I think they will be fine offensively. They graduated 27% of their goals, most of which was AJ, but there were lots of younger players contributing who I think will grow into their roles. On defense, there will be a lot of new faces. Fortunately, they have one of the best defensive coaches in D3 along with a strong returning goaltender and one of the best FOGO's. Possessions will be important, particularly early in the season. Turnovers were a problem last year and that needs to be corrected for them to win tough games with what will be a young defense.
I’d agree on their strengths, midfield, face offs goal play. That alone should be enough to bake a cake. If Mize was back and Mulholland is 100% I think they could get to 16 wins which would be phenomenal. Having Mize allowed you to get some leverage with matchups on attack. Without him the opposing D just have to worry about Greenspon, that unit will be much easier to defend. I’m hoping you are correct, I’m hoping some surprises come out of the now sophomore class that’s pretty talented. I’m hoping that other than Hamil another sr mid reaches their full potential. They have a tough schedule early on with new faces in key roles that’s why I’m thinking 12 wins. That’s not to say with experience this can’t be a dangerous team in May
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

Generals scrimmaging @ Stevenson on Feb. 1 at noon.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

That’s good news. With the UVA scrimmage, that should help. With the strength of their early season schedule, I felt one mistake they have made in the past was not having more challenging scrimmages to really challenge the team prior to the games that count.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Justin Le ; if this is truly a Soph tape there’s some real upside to this recruit, hopefully he has grown and improved his skills further, but solid for a Soph https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qMVP6WllNHw
Other 2020 recruits
Michael Ott A 2020 --
Jed Heald D 2020 --
Nicholas Tussing FO 2020 --
Sam Mannino A 2020 --
Henry Reed M 2020 --
Jack Bryant M 2020 --
Brian Bonnist A 2020 84
Nick Lipsher M 2020 --
Deuce Smoot D 2020 83
Holden Overbeck A 2020 --
Justin Le M 2020
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dehuntshigwa’es

W&L is supposedly scrimmaging UVA in January, anyone know time and place. Will they be involved with Bucknell as well. Have to assume it will be limited playing against freshman and sophomores.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Sunday January 19th in Charlottesville i believe
Dehuntshigwa’es

What would people consider W&L’s top 3 wins of the decade(2010-2019) in order 1 thru 3? I’m going with the two wins in 2019 against Lynchburg perhaps the first game doesn’t have the same gravitas as an ODAC final of past seasons but believe winning the home field advantage was critical. The Salisbury win in 2013 also belongs. So my order is the win over Lynchburg 2019 odac final,win over Salisbury 2013 and mid season win over Lynchburg 2019. I think the first two are locks, third choice is debatable......Curious what others will come up with
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:43 am What would people consider W&L’s top 3 wins of the decade(2010-2019) in order 1 thru 3? I’m going with the two wins in 2019 against Lynchburg perhaps the first game doesn’t have the same gravitas as an ODAC final of past seasons but believe winning the home field advantage was critical. The Salisbury win in 2013 also belongs. So my order is the win over Lynchburg 2019 odac final,win over Salisbury 2013 and mid season win over Lynchburg 2019. I think the first two are locks, third choice is debatable......Curious what others will come up with
Hey Dehunt ... Happy New Year!

I know it probably doesn't register with the many wins you considered because it's OOC and takes place annually very early in the season but I think the Generals win against Denison at Denison in 2017 was a huge win. Particularly when you consider A) if memory serves me they scored the last 9 goals of the game to wipe out a 6-11 deficit. B) Denison won its next 18 games before losing to eventual National Champ Salisbury by 1 goal in the National semi finals ... which included a 18-9 doubling up of Lynchburg in the Qs.

That 2017 Denison was a very good team ending up 18-2 and final ranking of something like #5. If that win occured later in the year I think it would be more in front of the brain.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Nosey Ned wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:54 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:43 am What would people consider W&L’s top 3 wins of the decade(2010-2019) in order 1 thru 3? I’m going with the two wins in 2019 against Lynchburg perhaps the first game doesn’t have the same gravitas as an ODAC final of past seasons but believe winning the home field advantage was critical. The Salisbury win in 2013 also belongs. So my order is the win over Lynchburg 2019 odac final,win over Salisbury 2013 and mid season win over Lynchburg 2019. I think the first two are locks, third choice is debatable......Curious what others will come up with
Hey Dehunt ... Happy New Year!

I know it probably doesn't register with the many wins you considered because it's OOC and takes place annually very early in the season but I think the Generals win against Denison at Denison in 2017 was a huge win. Particularly when you consider A) if memory serves me they scored the last 9 goals of the game to wipe out a 6-11 deficit. B) Denison won its next 18 games before losing to eventual National Champ Salisbury by 1 goal in the National semi finals ... which included a 18-9 doubling up of Lynchburg in the Qs.

That 2017 Denison was a very good team ending up 18-2 and final ranking of something like #5. If that win occured later in the year I think it would be more in front of the brain.
Same to you Nosey Ned! That’s an excellent choice, I considered that game. Can’t recall if I saw it on webcast or just watched the scoring updates, but that was a remarkable game. Denison I follow closely and that was a particularly good team. If I could alter my vote I’d put that one as number 3, your’s Is a great pick.
minkhoo

Post by minkhoo »

There are at least two other games that need to be considered:

2018: the 13-8 win over Gettysburg, a team that has been very difficult for the Generals. Remember, W&L started 0-3 versus York, CNU and Denison, and while there was a win over F&M, I'm not sure the Generals were playing at top gear. W&L dominated the whole game and the outlook for the season seemed to change on that field. While Lynchburg won the matchup in the ODAC semis, I think the Gettysburg win got the Generals a Pool C bid. The loss in OT at Dickinson was heartbreaking.

2013: The 7-6 win over Lynchburg in the ODAC semis. While the Salisbury win that year was massive, it's likely that the Generals were going to miss the NCAAs without that LC win, after one goal loses to both LC and Roanoke and a bad loss to WAC in the regular season. W&L scored 4 out of the last 5 goals in that game, with Luke Heinsohn scoring the GW (he also had the GW against Salisbury.) RC slipped by the Generals in the ODAC finals but W&L got the Pool C bid (I think that was their first.)
Dehuntshigwa’es

Have to agree on both accounts. The win against Gburg stopped the bleeding that year and was necessary to get into the tournament. The Lynchburg game was a classic in 2013. The fact that it was such a physical game going to OT made the contest with Roanoke the next day that much tougher. Still opting for the win at Salisbury on their home field as #1, and last years ODAC title game as #2. The semi final win over Lynchburg in OT was exceptional as well.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Happy New Year Gennies,
2013 were split 1 goal games with LC winning at Lexington during regular season. That 1 goal loss still stings 🤮
The battles have been epic. Physical but always with respect and honor. Looking forward to the same this season.
mandown

Post by mandown »

The UVA scrimmage is this Sunday Jan. 19th at 2:15 on the lower practice field in C'ville. Not sure about Bucknell.
My top three games are:
1. winning the ODAC championship in 2016 at Noke.
2. winning the ODAC championship in 2019 at Lex.
3. Beating #3 Gettysburg in 2018 in Lex.
I'm biased because my son played in all of these years, so I don't have the earlier years to compare.
dingdongdman

Post by dingdongdman »

Looking forward to seeing the guys get after it down in C'Ville. Hoping for a good battle against Bucknell and good experience against UVA. Will definitely be missing seeing Garrett Mize and Ben Mulholland out there, also looking forward to seeing what the defense can do against an opponent much better than VMI. Let's see if they've got their training wheels off.
Zonesurgeon

Post by Zonesurgeon »

Really excited to see what the season holds for the genies. Nobody in their right mind will deny the loss of 21, but the talent coming up also has to be equally considered. One would suspect the transition to a new group on the defensive end has certainly been a focal point this off-season but coach Koch will definitely have them ready. Really excited to see the revamped D Mid crew. While the loss of a serviceable 10 must be considered, you have to think the rising talent will certain be an upgrade. Young guys like Kai and others that have made the switch to ssdm certainly possess all the athleticism of 10, and arguably stronger offensive talent. This group will definitely be back and better than last year. Curious to hear what you guys think about the upgraded ssdm group.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”