Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by HopFan16 »

Not really sure why Baskin keeps being left off these midfield lists. Is he an All-American? No. But 17 pts for a second line guy isn't bad, and he's at least proven to be able to beat a short stick when matched up with one. He'll be a factor again in 2020. But the midfield unit lives or dies on the development of Zinn and DeSimone.

I'm hoping they find some PT for Angelus, whether it's at midfield or attack. Kid can play. He scored a gazillion points in a tough league.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:19 am Hopkins is 1-5 against Loyola since 2013, In four of those losses Hopkins didn't get to 10 goals. In 2 of those losses Hopkins didn't get to 10 goals combined. The one win was in overtime and Loyola had plenty of chances to win - probably should have won IIRC. With Lindley and Olmstead they are returning just as many points as the Hopkins attack. They are adding a 30 goal scorer in Seay. While the ghost of Spencer may loom large - right now Loyola is the better program and I'll believe it when I see it.
1. Houndace-those were great posts. you're welcome here anytime.
2. 51corn, if and when we get a new coach I want the press conference to begin "We are going to start winning national championships again and memorial day weekend is going to be a regularly scheduled part of the season." The third thing I want to hear is "We are going to own North Charles."
3. In case you're not following the NFL, Pellegrino is the coach of the Patriots secondary, putting up one of the best seasons in nfl history. I bet he's a head coach one day. His charge, stephon gillmore has earned defensive player of the year thus far.
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

Happy Thanksgiving all Jays fans.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

DougELax wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:46 pm Happy Thanksgiving all Jays fans.
Thanks. We’re surely going to need all the luck and best wishes we can get.

Dark days ahead.
6B41DB3F-20C6-4850-B315-A8DA2DA6B21D.jpeg
6B41DB3F-20C6-4850-B315-A8DA2DA6B21D.jpeg (70.32 KiB) Viewed 3790 times
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Well, it’s past Thanksgiving....

... which means it’s time for Festivus.

Break out the Festivus Pole, and let’s begin The Airing of Grievances.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:53 pm Well, it’s past Thanksgiving....

First we have to do the Feats of Strength.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:00 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:53 pm Well, it’s past Thanksgiving....

First we have to do the Feats of Strength.
Last night, I raised a pint glass.

It progressively got easier, until I refilled it.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Official schedule is out, it's pretty much what 51 said it would be. The exact days of the two away B1G conference games (@ Rutgers and @ Ohio State) are still to be decided. I guess that's a Big Ten Network TV thing?

https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/schedule

2/8 vs. Towson
2/15 @ Loyola
2/22 vs. North Carolina
2/29 @ Princeton
3/7 vs. Syracuse
3/10 vs. Mount St. Mary's
3/14 @ Navy
3/17 @ Delaware
3/28 vs. Michigan
4/4-5 @ Rutgers
4/11 vs. Penn State
4/18-19 @ Ohio State
4/25 vs. Maryland (Homecoming)

A few things of note:

- alternates home/away except for the two home and two away in March
- four games in 10 days during that same stretch in March, followed by an 11-day break before conference play begins
- first time playing the Orange at Homewood in three years
- Navy is back, obviously. The Midshipmen have a new coach after going 6-7 last year
- Penn State and Ohio State have switched weekends from last year, no idea the reason for that
- the Jays really SHOULD be 6-2 headed into Big Ten play, will more likely be closer to 4-4
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:43 pm Official schedule is out, it's pretty much what 51 said it would be. The exact days of the two away B1G conference games (@ Rutgers and @ Ohio State) are still to be decided. I guess that's a Big Ten Network TV thing?

2/8 vs. Towson
2/15 @ Loyola
2/22 vs. North Carolina
2/29 @ Princeton
3/7 vs. Syracuse
3/14 @ Navy
3/17 @ Delaware
3/28 vs. Michigan
4/4-5 @ Rutgers
4/11 vs. Penn State
4/18-19 @ Ohio State

A few things of note:

- four games in 10 days during that same stretch in March, followed by an 11-day break before conference play begins
- Navy is back, obviously. The Midshipmen have a new coach after going 6-7 last year
- Penn State and Ohio State have switched weekends from last year, no idea the reason for that
- the Jays really SHOULD be 6-2 headed into Big Ten play, will more likely be closer to 4-4
I’ve got a bad 3-5 feeling heading into conference play. I think they get Delaware Mount and Loyola. The rest I don’t see it.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

flalax22 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:15 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:43 pm Official schedule is out, it's pretty much what 51 said it would be. The exact days of the two away B1G conference games (@ Rutgers and @ Ohio State) are still to be decided. I guess that's a Big Ten Network TV thing?

2/8 vs. Towson
2/15 @ Loyola
2/22 vs. North Carolina
2/29 @ Princeton
3/7 vs. Syracuse
3/14 @ Navy
3/17 @ Delaware
3/28 vs. Michigan
4/4-5 @ Rutgers
4/11 vs. Penn State
4/18-19 @ Ohio State

A few things of note:

I’ve got a bad 3-5 feeling heading into conference play. I think they get Delaware Mount and Loyola. The rest I don’t see it.
And then maybe 2-3 in conference, followed by 0-1 B1G tourney, then no games in May.

Bon voyage.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

They usually beat Towson at Homewood. Don’t see a victory at Ridley this year. 7-6 is possible unless of course the coaches decide to keep playing their favorites then we’re probably looking at 4-9.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Wow - look I am not going to blow sunshine or smoke and say this team is going to the Final Four - I think a very successful season would be a competitive first round or quarterfinal game. But I don't see any reason to abandon the program 13 weeks or so before the season starts. A reasonable facsimile of this team beat UNC and Princeton away, beat Rutgers and Beat Maryland twice and had competitive games for 3 quarters against Syracuse and UVA. Don't tell me Foley is the only reason any of that happened. Alot of programs have this particular saying - let's go 1-0 against Towson and worry about Loyola after. They clearly have several important issues that will probably prevent them from being an elite team - but the cupboard is hardly devoid of any talent. No question, however, with those first 4 games - you will know what direction you are heading.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:46 pm

2/8 vs. Towson
2/15 @ Loyola
2/22 vs. North Carolina
2/29 @ Princeton
3/7 vs. Syracuse
3/14 @ Navy
3/17 @ Delaware
3/28 vs. Michigan
4/4-5 @ Rutgers
4/11 vs. Penn State
4/18-19 @ Ohio State

A few things of note:

And then maybe 2-3 in conference, followed by 0-1 B1G tourney, then no games in May.

Bon voyage.
No way they are 3-5 heading into conference play, more like 5-3. Towson lost a ton, as did Loyola, both winnable games, say 1 - 1 here. Not real scared of UNC or Princeton, call it a split there, probably a loss to Cuse and lets say 2 - 1 in Navy Mount and Delaware stretch. In conference they should get wins vs Rutgers and Michigan and who knows with the final three big boys, they played them all tough last year, so even if they go 1 - 2 here, they are 8 - 5. I get the doubt, but they are still loaded with talent, and contrary to many on this board I think the staff is still very solid.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:06 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:46 pm

2/8 vs. Towson
2/15 @ Loyola
2/22 vs. North Carolina
2/29 @ Princeton
3/7 vs. Syracuse
3/14 @ Navy
3/17 @ Delaware
3/28 vs. Michigan
4/4-5 @ Rutgers
4/11 vs. Penn State
4/18-19 @ Ohio State

A few things of note:

Bon voyage.
No way they are 3-5 heading into conference play, more like 5-3. Towson lost a ton, as did Loyola, both winnable games, say 1 - 1 here. Not real scared of UNC or Princeton, call it a split there, probably a loss to Cuse and lets say 2 - 1 in Navy Mount and Delaware stretch. In conference they should get wins vs Rutgers and Michigan and who knows with the final three big boys, they played them all tough last year, so even if they go 1 - 2 here, they are 8 - 5. I get the doubt, but they are still loaded with talent, and contrary to many on this board I think the staff is still very solid.
Empty and I mean empty midfield fuels my doubt.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:10 am Wow - look I am not going to blow sunshine or smoke and say this team is going to the Final Four - I think a very successful season would be a competitive first round or quarterfinal game. But I don't see any reason to abandon the program 13 weeks or so before the season starts. A reasonable facsimile of this team beat UNC and Princeton away, beat Rutgers and Beat Maryland twice and had competitive games for 3 quarters against Syracuse and UVA. Don't tell me Foley is the only reason any of that happened. Alot of programs have this particular saying - let's go 1-0 against Towson and worry about Loyola after. They clearly have several important issues that will probably prevent them from being an elite team - but the cupboard is hardly devoid of any talent. No question, however, with those first 4 games - you will know what direction you are heading.
Not to mention giving PSU all they could handle in the B1G final.

OTOH, the fourth quarters against Syracuse and UVA could point to a lack of depth, especially at midfield.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Last year's horrid result notwithstanding, this team absolutely should beat Towson this year at home, where they've been much better against the Tigers. Alex Woodall has graduated, so faceoffs should not be nearly as lopsided. Their top scorer Brendan Sunday, who had 6 goals against us last year, has also graduated. As has Zach Goodrich, their All-American SSDM. Those were arguably Towson's three best players, and the three who were most responsible for that beatdown last year, IMO. You would think given how last year went, the Jays will be extra motivated to return the favor, as they did in 2018 following the loss in 2017.

Loyola is another story entirely—there appears to be a school of thought that the Jays will be favored in that game given that the law firm of Spencer, Stover, and Scanlan is no more, but the Greyhounds have deeper reserves of talent than do the Tigers, I'd say. And we all know what happened the last time we went to Ridley—stinker of the century.

In any event, we must emerge from these first two games no worse than 1-1. Do that, beat Princeton as we have done of late, and split the two ACC games, you're looking at 3-2 headed into the three "easiest" games of the season, though with all due respect to MSM, I'd argue only one of those is truly "easy." As I said before, that Delaware game is already making me nervous. Navy should be a W but on the road in a renewed rivalry against a team with a new coach, all bets are off. I think 5-3 is a reasonable projection for the first 8.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:21 am Last year's horrid result notwithstanding, this team absolutely should beat Towson this year at home, where they've been much better against the Tigers. Alex Woodall has graduated, so faceoffs should not be nearly as lopsided. Their top scorer Brendan Sunday, who had 6 goals against us last year, has also graduated. As has Zach Goodrich, their All-American SSDM. Those were arguably Towson's three best players, and the three who were most responsible for that beatdown last year, IMO. You would think given how last year went, the Jays will be extra motivated to return the favor, as they did in 2018 following the loss in 2017.

Loyola is another story entirely—there appears to be a school of thought that the Jays will be favored in that game given that the law firm of Spencer, Stover, and Scanlan is no more, but the Greyhounds have deeper reserves of talent than do the Tigers, I'd say. And we all know what happened the last time we went to Ridley—stinker of the century.

In any event, we must emerge from these first two games no worse than 1-1. Do that, beat Princeton as we have done of late, and split the two ACC games, you're looking at 3-2 headed into the three "easiest" games of the season, though with all due respect to MSM, I'd argue only one of those is truly "easy." As I said before, that Delaware game is already making me nervous. Navy should be a W but on the road in a renewed rivalry against a team with a new coach, all bets are off. I think 5-3 is a reasonable projection for the first 8.
Appreciate the gesture, but playing devils advocate here. our bench is an unproven commodity of players when the last couple years have been spencer and senior heavy midfield + Stover as goalie. This years recruits and transfers should help organically fill in the lost production in theory. The talent imo drops off significantly from the remaining starters to the bench.

That game was my senior year, the family came down sporting both schools colors. I still have the full game to re-watch sometimes. That game was close going into halftime with a 5-4 Loyola lead. The momentum was going towards hopkins due to Shack scoring with about 50 seconds left in the frame. Hop won 14-20 Faceoffs with Hunter Moreland. It only turned for the worse because of offside calls and failed clears but thats something the Jays rectified in 2019, and should be good in 2020. The offensive pieces for Hopkins were fine imo, but they couldn't get anything because of the offsides calls and miscues. Fix that, and the game would've been MUCH MUCH closer.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:21 am Last year's horrid result notwithstanding, this team absolutely should beat Towson this year at home, where they've been much better against the Tigers. Alex Woodall has graduated, so faceoffs should not be nearly as lopsided. Their top scorer Brendan Sunday, who had 6 goals against us last year, has also graduated. As has Zach Goodrich, their All-American SSDM. Those were arguably Towson's three best players, and the three who were most responsible for that beatdown last year, IMO. You would think given how last year went, the Jays will be extra motivated to return the favor, as they did in 2018 following the loss in 2017.

this is the most reasonable take. 7-3 heading into osu/psu/terps section. You'd think a midfield that is at least experienced in our case and veterans at fogo would protect the defense from long runs.

here are all the year in reviews/lookaheads for the opponents on one page
https://www.collegecrosse.com/2019-ncaa ... -in-review
Xanders

Post by Xanders »

Apologies for the delay (and I'll get to the other questions in the coming days), but I was asked to answer some Q's about Hopkins recruiting, so here ya go:

1. Any idea what happened to Quinn Chambers? Not on the roster

Out of my respect for the staff and the way they operate, I’d rather not get into it yet, but 1) it’s a personal matter and nothing behavioral or academic and 2) the hope/expectation is that Chambers will return.

2. Some guy came on here saying Scott Smith didn't sign his NLI and might not even be playing lacrosse anymore? Know what's going on there? That would suuuuuck, kid is a beast.

Scott Smith signed on the first morning that he was able to do so. I’d heard rumors of some schools trying to get him on board for football, but I’m unaware as to who that was or what level that was at. Barring some crazy situation.... he’s coming to Hopkins.

3. Has Petro's uncertain contract situation impacted recruiting? Seems like he's brought in a pretty solid 2021 class, especially on the defensive end. (Makes sense that offense might be a little light given what they're getting in the 2020 class.) The consensus around here is that this is a "make or break" year for him but that's mostly just empty speculation. Do the recruits and their families know more than the general public?

The talk on here about Petro’s “uncertain contract situation” — or at least in relation to how much it’s discussed in other lacrosse circles — is a bit over the top (as is much of the speculation, slander, etc). I say that because I don’t feel that it’s impacted recruiting at all and I would be beyond shocked if it comes up in conversations between Hopkins and recruits/coaches/families. Just don't see that happening.

4. Is Dom and/or Nick Petro really not even considering playing at Hopkins? Or does it depend on the status of dad's job next year? Please tell me we're at least going to be in the running for Sunderland. The Calvert Hall pipeline looks to be rejuvenated.

I must admit that it was troubling to read the number of posts with unsubstantiated claims about the Pietramala twins’ recruiting situations, though I did get a good laugh at the fact that the “secret source” and “my one credible source” tidbits were even shared on here. This may sound somewhat harsh, but to me, the fake news post about Dom committing to UVA spoke volumes about the lack of knowledge that some folks here have about the recruiting world, given that 2022’s can’t be contacted for another 10 months. Of course, I never want to speak for the Pietramala or Sunderland families because I love those guys (and I don’t feel guilty saying the following given the connections), but it’s a very safe assumption to say that Hopkins will be in the running for all three of those players. Suggesting otherwise is silly, quite frankly, as is talking ad nauseam about their recruitment. Bigger picture, I think that Petro will crush the Class of 2022 recruiting when the time comes, and that's after doing a tremendous job with the 2020 and 2021 classes. Not sure if this has been mentioned, but in this day and age, it's really impressive that JHU kept its entire 2020 class together and away from poachers and other factors.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Xanders wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:13 pm Apologies for the delay (and I'll get to the other questions in the coming days), but I was asked to answer some Q's about Hopkins recruiting, so here ya go:

1. Any idea what happened to Quinn Chambers? Not on the roster

Out of my respect for the staff and the way they operate, I’d rather not get into it yet, but 1) it’s a personal matter and nothing behavioral or academic and 2) the hope/expectation is that Chambers will return.

2. Some guy came on here saying Scott Smith didn't sign his NLI and might not even be playing lacrosse anymore? Know what's going on there? That would suuuuuck, kid is a beast.

Scott Smith signed on the first morning that he was able to do so. I’d heard rumors of some schools trying to get him on board for football, but I’m unaware as to who that was or what level that was at. Barring some crazy situation.... he’s coming to Hopkins.

3. Has Petro's uncertain contract situation impacted recruiting? Seems like he's brought in a pretty solid 2021 class, especially on the defensive end. (Makes sense that offense might be a little light given what they're getting in the 2020 class.) The consensus around here is that this is a "make or break" year for him but that's mostly just empty speculation. Do the recruits and their families know more than the general public?

The talk on here about Petro’s “uncertain contract situation” — or at least in relation to how much it’s discussed in other lacrosse circles — is a bit over the top (as is much of the speculation, slander, etc). I say that because I don’t feel that it’s impacted recruiting at all and I would be beyond shocked if it comes up in conversations between Hopkins and recruits/coaches/families. Just don't see that happening.

4. Is Dom and/or Nick Petro really not even considering playing at Hopkins? Or does it depend on the status of dad's job next year? Please tell me we're at least going to be in the running for Sunderland. The Calvert Hall pipeline looks to be rejuvenated.

I must admit that it was troubling to read the number of posts with unsubstantiated claims about the Pietramala twins’ recruiting situations, though I did get a good laugh at the fact that the “secret source” and “my one credible source” tidbits were even shared on here. This may sound somewhat harsh, but to me, the fake news post about Dom committing to UVA spoke volumes about the lack of knowledge that some folks here have about the recruiting world, given that 2022’s can’t be contacted for another 10 months. Of course, I never want to speak for the Pietramala or Sunderland families because I love those guys (and I don’t feel guilty saying the following given the connections), but it’s a very safe assumption to say that Hopkins will be in the running for all three of those players. Suggesting otherwise is silly, quite frankly, as is talking ad nauseam about their recruitment. Bigger picture, I think that Petro will crush the Class of 2022 recruiting when the time comes, and that's after doing a tremendous job with the 2020 and 2021 classes. Not sure if this has been mentioned, but in this day and age, it's really impressive that JHU kept its entire 2020 class together and away from poachers and other factors.
Finally! Someone who, like me, knows what they’re talking about! :)

Thanks for the comments, Xanders. :)

DocBarrister ;) :D
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”