W&L 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
laxfan91

Re: W&L 2020

Post by laxfan91 »

Lacrosse Box Score (Final)
2019 VMI Lacrosse
VMI vs Washington and Lee (Oct 18, 2019 at Lexington, Va.)
VMI vs.
Washington and Lee
Date: Oct 18, 2019 • Attendance: Weather:
Score by period
VMI
Washington and Lee
1 2
2 4 1 5
3 4 Total
4 4 14 2 1 9
VMI SCORING: GOALS: Michael Santos 3; John Daniel 3; Aidan Riley 3; Ryan Perouty 2; Jon Fant 1; Josh Bass 1; Scout Ripley 1.
ASSISTS: Jon Fant 5; Ryan Perouty 1; Michael Santos 1.
Washington and Lee SCORING: GOALS: Nicholas Rodman 2; Thomas Zusi 1; Jack Ware 1; Austin Hudson 1; Jack Hodgson 1; Stuart Greenspon 1; Conlan O'Hara 1; Taylor Witherell 1.
ASSISTS: Hudson Hamill 2; Tommy MacCowatt 2; Thomas Zusi 1.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

First I thought VMI looked much improved. They now have 8 scholarships and new coordinators. Hats off to them.

It was still a good matchup and was a back and forth game the up until the last quarter. W&L's offense settled for many outside shots and had trouble getting in front of the goal for easy goals. Shooting was poor with too many shots either missing or easy saves for the VMI goalie. Defensively there was some miscommunication but I think given the number of new players its not surprising.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Only 9 goals scored by the Generals, perhaps Corrigan will prove to be a bigger loss than anticipated. I believe this is only the 4th loss in the series. Wonder what the following season looked like for the Generals when losing to VMI? Last time I think was fall 2009. Any freshman get real time, didn’t look like it from the box score
Nyrcupbaby

Post by Nyrcupbaby »

The graduation of AJ and his production as well as the contributions of the 2019 class will be felt. Losing Corrigan is not going to help. Hoping for the best.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Nyrcupbaby wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:05 pm The graduation of AJ and his production as well as the contributions of the 2019 class will be felt. Losing Corrigan is not going to help. Hoping for the best.
Nyrcupbaby wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:05 pm The graduation of AJ and his production as well as the contributions of the 2019 class will be felt. Losing Corrigan is not going to help. Hoping for the best.
The entire offense is back except AJ...Looking to see if Mulholland is 100% big piece of the O who missed the tournament. This is only Greenspan’s second year, Mize will only improve. Hoping Weaver is the third option at attack. Generals are deep at midfield, very curious to see which Soph’s step up. Biggest issue will be the D and how they develop. They were awfully good on the defensive half last year...Lots of talent on this roster and young players to develop, should make a run once again for the ODAC and ncaa tournament
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

I don't believe any freshman played against VMI. Mize was hurt I think in the 2nd quarter and sat out the rest of the game so W&L was down a starting Attackman. My impression was that the VMI D did not have to do a lot of sliding and thus opportunities were limited. Again I think VMI lookded much improved and the Gennies went toe to toe with them. There is work to be done but it looks like a good foundation.
mandown

Post by mandown »

The 2019 man-down defense ended the season ranked #1 in the country with a .869 man-down defense percentage: 8 goals in 61 attempts. I believe the first time in school history. With the 2019 graduation of these great defenders: Broderick (6'), Callahan (6'4"), Dolan (6'5"), Brown (6'), and Barnard (6'1"), the defense will take some time to gel. Koch will get them ready! The dreaded ACL knee injury hit another great player in Garrett Mize in the Lee Jackson game last Friday. Our thoughts are with Mize during his recovery. This makes it five seasons in a row that we have lost a great player to a season ending ACL knee injury; dating back to 2015-2016 season with Christian Zanetis and most recently Ben Mulholland this past spring. Maybe Wilson Field should go to a beautifully manicured natural grass field like HSC? A lot more ACL injuries on artificial turf than natural grass! With the loss of the most prolific scorer in school history in Witherell, and the loss of Mize, the attack line will also be a work in progress. VMI was due for a W. After-all they are a D1 program, and much improved. Congrats to the Keydets.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

are you sure about Mize? Thought it was only a bruise? That would suck
mandown

Post by mandown »

Surgery at UVA on Nov. 20.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

that sucks..wishing him a speedy recovery
Dehuntshigwa’es

If Mize is out for the season the Generals will be missing their best option at the X and 2/3 of their starting attack from last season. Losing AJ to graduation is tough but may have been managed, with the loss of Mize, AJ’s loss will only be magnified. Next man up I guess, but no idea who that could be. Hope the young man recovers (if this news is correct) and continues on what should be a strong career. Hoping Mulholland is 100% this season. Greenspon will be the first option on attack, without Mize he will always get the opponents #1 D man. Generals have feasted on their opponents fogo’s especially weaker teams. With the D taking a hit due to graduation, loss of Mize, face offs and good goal play( which they’ve gotten) will be that much more important with the loss of AJ. Previously thought that the Generals were a 16 season win team again this year, not so confident without Mize and Corrigan. The margin for victory is thin; regular season schedule, thinking 12-5.
themadbomber

Post by themadbomber »

mandown wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:23 pm The 2019 man-down defense ended the season ranked #1 in the country with a .869 man-down defense percentage: 8 goals in 61 attempts. I believe the first time in school history. With the 2019 graduation of these great defenders: Broderick (6'), Callahan (6'4"), Dolan (6'5"), Brown (6'), and Barnard (6'1"), the defense will take some time to gel. Koch will get them ready! The dreaded ACL knee injury hit another great player in Garrett Mize in the Lee Jackson game last Friday. Our thoughts are with Mize during his recovery. This makes it five seasons in a row that we have lost a great player to a season ending ACL knee injury; dating back to 2015-2016 season with Christian Zanetis and most recently Ben Mulholland this past spring. Maybe Wilson Field should go to a beautifully manicured natural grass field like HSC? A lot more ACL injuries on artificial turf than natural grass! With the loss of the most prolific scorer in school history in Witherell, and the loss of Mize, the attack line will also be a work in progress. VMI was due for a W. After-all they are a D1 program, and much improved. Congrats to the Keydets.
Sad to lose such a great group on the back line. Hopefully the younger classmen learned from last years group of defenders. There was a significant amount of chatter from the d last year. It was noticeable difference from previous years in the stands. Almost sounded as if they were mic'd up, while previous years sounded like the night before Christmas out there. Great communication is a great equalizer for a defense.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Can anyone post a copy of a roster from the VMI game ?
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

Had to crop and cut the resolution to get it to upload. Let me know if you can't read it.
Roster-WLU-Lax-cropped.jpg
Roster-WLU-Lax-cropped.jpg (109.21 KiB) Viewed 4152 times
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

And VMI
Roster-VMI-Lax-cropped.jpg
Roster-VMI-Lax-cropped.jpg (112.38 KiB) Viewed 4152 times
laxfan91

Post by laxfan91 »

Thanks
Dehuntshigwa’es

Thanks for the roster, 15 freshman, curious who makes the spring roster. Could one of them potentially be a Mulholland or Mize within the group ? They both were impactful players as freshman. I would think with 2/3 of the starting attack gone from last year, ( Mize and AJ) opportunities exist there and on the defensive half. Lots of depth at midfield. Hoping Mulholland is 100% they will need him
whipsnake

Post by whipsnake »

themadbomber wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:54 am
mandown wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:23 pm The 2019 man-down defense ended the season ranked #1 in the country with a .869 man-down defense percentage: 8 goals in 61 attempts. I believe the first time in school history. With the 2019 graduation of these great defenders: Broderick (6'), Callahan (6'4"), Dolan (6'5"), Brown (6'), and Barnard (6'1"), the defense will take some time to gel. Koch will get them ready! The dreaded ACL knee injury hit another great player in Garrett Mize in the Lee Jackson game last Friday. Our thoughts are with Mize during his recovery. This makes it five seasons in a row that we have lost a great player to a season ending ACL knee injury; dating back to 2015-2016 season with Christian Zanetis and most recently Ben Mulholland this past spring. Maybe Wilson Field should go to a beautifully manicured natural grass field like HSC? A lot more ACL injuries on artificial turf than natural grass! With the loss of the most prolific scorer in school history in Witherell, and the loss of Mize, the attack line will also be a work in progress. VMI was due for a W. After-all they are a D1 program, and much improved. Congrats to the Keydets.
Sad to lose such a great group on the back line. Hopefully the younger classmen learned from last years group of defenders. There was a significant amount of chatter from the d last year. It was noticeable difference from previous years in the stands. Almost sounded as if they were mic'd up, while previous years sounded like the night before Christmas out there. Great communication is a great equalizer for a defense.
Communication has never been an issue for the generals back line. Their grit has.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Looking forward to the official team roster to be posted. Anyone have any idea as to what freshman might emerge like a Mulholland two years ago or Mize last season. I’m voting for Holliday 😊
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

whipsnake wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:28 pm Communication has never been an issue for the generals back line. Their grit has.
In what ways do you mean? Individually?
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”