Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:45 pm It is certainly up there.

Crazy how all these teams keep winning despite Daniels completely ruining the athletic department.

Where is the schedule?
Well - apparently the Hopkins' womens volleyball team is a bunch of mean tough ladies. Only 10 players on the roster - Daniels? - and a key one wrecked her shoulder in the semis - so they whipped the defending national champs in 3 sets with 9 players. Quite a story.

I can give you the schedule if you like - with only one or two unknowns/assumptions and they don't mean much. The two assumptions are: Towson's release is correct and they play on Saturday February 8th and not Sunday February 2nd and Hopkins plays Rutgers before Ohio State as in past schedules. OH other unknown is maybe the Rutgers and or Ohio State games are on Sunday night. Some times are still TBD but here it is:
2/8 Towson 1 PM
2/15 @ Loyola TBD
2/22 UNC 1 PM
2/29 @ Princeton
3/7 Syracuse 1 PM
3/10 Mount St Marys 7 PM
3/14 @ Navy
3/17 @ Delaware 7 PM
3/28 Michigan 1 PM
4/5 or 4/6 @ Rutgers
4/11 Penn State 1 PM
4/18 or 19 @ Ohio State
4/25 Maryland 2 PM
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Outside of men’s lax, JHU has been remarkably ascendant across numerous sports the past 10 years. The best DIII sports program? No, that would be Williams which has won the cup which changeth names something like 22 of its 24 years in existence. Hopkins is right there now though with Middlebury, Emory and other top contenders and will likely win it soon, perhaps this year. Interestingly their DI lax results count. So DI lax is actually holding them back from their true calling as a D3 sports power. Join NESCAC, compete (most years) for a conference lax title and watch the accolades role in!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:00 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:45 pm It is certainly up there.

Crazy how all these teams keep winning despite Daniels completely ruining the athletic department.

Where is the schedule?
Well - apparently the Hopkins' womens volleyball team is a bunch of mean tough ladies. Only 10 players on the roster - Daniels? - and a key one wrecked her shoulder in the semis - so they whipped the defending national champs in 3 sets with 9 players. Quite a story.

I can give you the schedule if you like - with only one or two unknowns/assumptions and they don't mean much. The two assumptions are: Towson's release is correct and they play on Saturday February 8th and not Sunday February 2nd and Hopkins plays Rutgers before Ohio State as in past schedules. OH other unknown is maybe the Rutgers and or Ohio State games are on Sunday night. Some times are still TBD but here it is:
2/8 Towson 1 PM
2/15 @ Loyola TBD
2/22 UNC 1 PM
2/29 @ Princeton
3/7 Syracuse 1 PM
3/10 Mount St Marys 7 PM
3/14 @ Navy
3/17 @ Delaware 7 PM
3/28 Michigan 1 PM
4/5 or 4/6 @ Rutgers
4/11 Penn State 1 PM
4/18 or 19 @ Ohio State
4/25 Maryland 2 PM
Towson, Loyola, and UNC all have their schedules out, so it looks like the first three games are Feb. 8, 15, and 22, as usual.

I was secretly hoping for a certain ACC team to be added to the schedule to replace Virginia, purely for the chaos it would have caused here. Alas, it seems as though Navy is the only addition.

Smells like 7-6.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Those games
Favored-msm, navy, delaware, michigan, rutgers, loyola, towson
pickem-princeton, unc, osu,
underdog-maryland, psu, psu
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

DALaxDad wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:49 pm Doc,
See this link to the Learfield Cup:
https://nacda.com/news/2019/6/12/direct ... rectorscup

Williams was # 1 in 2018-19, but JHU finished 2nd.
2013–14 Williams Wisconsin-Whitewater Johns Hopkins Washington University (MO) Amherst
2014–15 Williams Johns Hopkins MIT Washington University (MO) Amherst
2015–16 Williams Washington University (MO) Emory Tufts Middlebury
2016–17 Williams Washington University (MO) Tufts Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Johns Hopkins
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

6-7 or worse.

WLAX doesn’t help much either.

I’m expecting a turkey.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

See no reason Hopkins can’t go 9-4 (or better) in the regular season in 2020.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

'06 - some of your favorite/pick'em/underdog choices are interesting
Favorites against 2 teams that we lost to by a combined 17 goals a year ago?
Haven't won at Ridley in last 3 or 4 tries?

Pick'em with Princeton - I understand who plays attack for them - but they have depth of scoring issues just like Hopkins after Sowers and Brown

Delaware is a game that's very dangerous - 4th game in 10 days - midweek - probably very few Hopkins fans - on a week-end - Newark is doable for me
7 PM on a Tuesday - not likely.

I would put OSU in the underdog column and Rutgers in the pick'em column for now

2020 record could be anything - they could lose to just about anybody - they could hang with just about anybody -
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

New stadium policies announced.

You’ll have to smuggle bananas in your pants.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Reminds me of a famous Mae West line.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:15 pm See no reason Hopkins can’t go 9-4 (or better) in the regular season in 2020.

DocBarrister 8-)
They may have to go 9-4 in order to get an at-large bid this year with the expected drop in RPI/SOS from replacing Virginia with Navy. Don't know if 8 wins will get it done this time around unless those include some VERY high value victories.

I disagree slightly with 06's picks—I don't care who Loyola lost, we're not going to be favored in a mid-February game at Ridley. Having said that, yes, that's absolutely a game the Jays can and should win given what the two teams return.

Like 51 I'm slightly terrified of Delaware this year. They were close to the upset last year, feels like they're due to steal one from us sooner or later and a midweek night game in Newark might be just the ticket.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... sion-i-men
loyola loses over half its starts and more than half its scoring-this was pre scanlan transfer. that should be a win.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hopkins is 1-5 against Loyola since 2013, In four of those losses Hopkins didn't get to 10 goals. In 2 of those losses Hopkins didn't get to 10 goals combined. The one win was in overtime and Loyola had plenty of chances to win - probably should have won IIRC. With Lindley and Olmstead they are returning just as many points as the Hopkins attack. They are adding a 30 goal scorer in Seay. While the ghost of Spencer may loom large - right now Loyola is the better program and I'll believe it when I see it.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:59 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:15 pm See no reason Hopkins can’t go 9-4 (or better) in the regular season in 2020.

DocBarrister 8-)
They may have to go 9-4 in order to get an at-large bid this year with the expected drop in RPI/SOS from replacing Virginia with Navy. Don't know if 8 wins will get it done this time around unless those include some VERY high value victories.

I disagree slightly with 06's picks—I don't care who Loyola lost, we're not going to be favored in a mid-February game at Ridley. Having said that, yes, that's absolutely a game the Jays can and should win given what the two teams return.
Where does the optimism for the Jays returners come from? Aside from Epstein and Williams all I see are underperforming tiny midfielders. A huge question mark in goal. Some returning depth in defence but no alpha. Will they give Zinn a chance to contribute? Probably not. I’m sure they still have Baskin and Stagjitta ahead of him on the depth chart.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:45 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:59 pm

DocBarrister 8-)

Where does the optimism for the Jays returners come from? Aside from Epstein and Williams all I see are underperforming tiny midfielders. A huge question mark in goal. Some returning depth in defence but no alpha. Will they give Zinn a chance to contribute? Probably not. I’m sure they still have Baskin and Stagjitta ahead of him on the depth chart.
Not sure where you're getting "optimism" from as things seem decidedly pessimistic around here but to play devil's advocate:

Epstein is already one of the best players in the country—as long as the kid stays healthy he gives the Jays a chance to beat anyone. He and Williams are a formidable 1-2 punch at attack, and then you've got Smith and Concannon who are both solid contributors and veterans in this offense. And yes, in theory, Zinn's ceiling is through the roof. There's also a better chance than not that DeSimone vastly improves his scoring output this year, IMO.

Faceoffs also look like a potential strength with Prouty and Narewski. So this team should be able to score some goals. I'm not especially worried about the offense though game-to-game consistency has sometimes been a problem under Benson.

It's true that there's not much to be optimistic about on defense given the unit was a disaster last year and it just lost its best player, that said, statistics tell us that we may be due for some positive regression in the goal. It's difficult to be worse than 45% so if the Jays manage to do that it'd be quite the feat. There's also the possibility that SSDM play improves, although one of the kids who was supposed to help there (Chambers) is not even on the roster so that's not off to a super promising start. The position will, at the very least, be bigger, though speed was as much an issue as size.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:19 am Hopkins is 1-5 against Loyola since 2013, In four of those losses Hopkins didn't get to 10 goals. In 2 of those losses Hopkins didn't get to 10 goals combined. The one win was in overtime and Loyola had plenty of chances to win - probably should have won IIRC. With Lindley and Olmstead they are returning just as many points as the Hopkins attack. They are adding a 30 goal scorer in Seay. While the ghost of Spencer may loom large - right now Loyola is the better program and I'll believe it when I see it.
Except when comparing the units of both schools:

Attack
Hopkins Loyola
Epstein, Williams, Smith

Loyola
Olmstead, Lindley, (bevy of unknowns)

Midfield
Hopkins
DeSimone, Keough, Stagnitta, Zinn, Concannon

Loyola
Cox, Devereaux, Seay, Wigley, Swindell

FO
Hopkins
FO- Prouty, Narewski as the one two

Loyola
Savio (who PB believes to be a unit for 2020), Pacheco, Cottone

SSDMS/LSM's
Hopkins
Pion, Hubler, blanking on others

Loyola
Boland, Benus, Higgins, Razanka, McNulty, Hughes, Railey, Johnson

Close D
Hopkins
Colwell, Rapine

Loyola
Wyers, switch some of those LSM's to close as well

Goalie
Hopkins
Giacolone, Darby, Marcille, Gainey

Loyola
Shafer, Teitelbaum, Tabor, Whitaker

My point is: Hopkins has a lot more proven pieces coming back in Attack and midfield. Loyola shines this year in their D-middies and poles.

Goalie, hopkins has the edge IMO and in FO's too. Hopkins will most likely win on Feb 15 at Ridley
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:35 am

Goalie, hopkins has the edge IMO and in FO's too. Hopkins will most likely win on Feb 15 at Ridley
Appreciate the impartiality but this is far too generous. In theory Giacalone should be good (assuming he ends up being the guy, he very well may not be) as he was an Under Armour All-American but we really have no idea. I thought he looked fine in 3 quarters against Notre Dame in what was already a blowout but that's not enough to go on. I'll give you this: goaltending was certainly a huge advantage for Loyola last year but this year it's not as clear.

One could argue the Jays might have a small advantage on offense and faceoffs but Loyola's huge edge at the defensive end and in transition more than makes up for it. Combine that with homefield advantage, and the recent history of this series as 51 just mentioned, and I think it's fair to call the Greyhounds a narrow favorite. I do think it'll be closer than last year's affair. If it's NOT, we're in a lot of trouble.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:18 am
houndace1 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:35 am

Appreciate the impartiality but this is far too generous. In theory Giacalone should be good (assuming he ends up being the guy, he very well may not be) as he was an Under Armour All-American but we really have no idea. I thought he looked fine in 3 quarters against Notre Dame in what was already a blowout but that's not enough to go on. I'll give you this: goaltending was certainly a huge advantage for Loyola last year but this year it's not as clear.

One could argue the Jays might have a small advantage on offense and faceoffs but Loyola's huge edge at the defensive end and in transition more than makes up for it. Combine that with homefield advantage, and the recent history of this series as 51 just mentioned, and I think it's fair to call the Greyhounds a narrow favorite. I do think it'll be closer than last year's affair. If it's NOT, we're in a lot of trouble.
Can't a defense chip no matter how good it is, with constant runs and attacks? Hopkins certainly has the players to do that. Can Team A's Defense really win games and championships if its constantly being attacked by the Team B due to the former's inability to create scoring chances and goals due to severe inexperience at the midfield and 3rd attack position.

Thats the key in the matchup this year. Having good enough offensive players to chip away at another teams defense.

Also as you mentioned 16, in many pages back in the forum. Experience doesn't equal success. Hopkins had nearly everyone back on paper for their D-mids, close D, and poles for 2019. Unfortunately that didn't help them.

Just because Loyola has all these guys coming back doesnt mean it'll translate to success. I believe, Hopkins' offensive players will outperform my school's defense in terms of not only athleticism, but certainly skill.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Two fellas blowing smoke and kisses to each other with both overstating and downplaying . PB over the top bravado was at least amusing . Stover masked alot, Loyola D especially up top was average. Game between these two admiring neighbors will come down to how Loyola middies performs as JHU D will focus on their attack. You got this, no you got this . Ugh

Give me Hopkins in this one. 14-10
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Somebody listed the mids - DeSimone, Keough, Stagnitta, Zinn, Concannon

That group is good enough to get you beat every week. We think Zinn is good but will he be given the chance to show it?

DeSimone has showed us who he is without Tinney
Keough is on the shelf from all reports
Stagnitta wouldn’t make most top 20 rosters. He just wouldn’t.
Concannon is a nice complimentary piece.

Where are the athletic studs? Please tell me there is someone emerging in the freshman and or sophomore class.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”