Trump's Russian Collusion

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: IMPEACHMENT ... Bribery, Extortion and Abuse of Power

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:26 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:19 pm Keep in mind, this describes the Ukrainian anti corruption reforms which have now twice satisfied our "interagency process" in order to approve two large tranches of lethal military aid to Ukraine ? ...what would it take to earn a disapproval ?
You're playing dumb. You, of all people know the answer is: nothing. And this has been the answer for decades. Which is why it's laughable that Trump put the funds on hold because of corruption concerns.

We bankrolled Saddam, FFS. And Netanyahu just got indicted for corruption this very week. Is Trump going to stop sending Israel money? :roll:
I'm not playing dumb. I'm pointing out what a tub of eye wash the Deep State Russophobic "interagency process" has been foisting upon us to rationalize sending potent lethal military aid to Ukraine. Obama didn't buy it. Trump just went along to placate Congressional hawks, including many (R)'s.
It's the sanctimony which undermines their case. Just admit it. Both the Ukrainians & Russians are a bunch of corrupt oligarchs. We've been backing the ones who best serve our interests. Fair enough.

If we're willing to enter a new Cold War to back Ukraine, FINE -- then make that case to the American people, rather than quietly trying to slip it through the USAID process, citing fig leaf anti-corruption reforms.

FTR -- I've supported lethal military aid to Ukraine (along with deploying an Armored BCT to Poland), ever since Russia annexed Crimea in 2014.
Just make the case to the voters based on the true merits.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Fiona Hill I think just gave a good reason why getting testimony from Bolton would be a good idea.

She is really good at her job!
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Kevin McCarthy going Full Stupid:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... JXSRYFVLXI

That isn't news, but here is some of what he said:

"House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said Thursday that he doesn’t think it’s necessary for Trump to testify in the impeachment inquiry.

“I don’t see what the president would have to answer,” McCarthy said at his weekly news conference. “The president gave his transcript. What more would you need?”

McCarthy also said he believes Sondland’s testimony exonerated Trump, telling reporters: “I think it was very clear. There was no quid pro quo.”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:58 pm Kevin McCarthy going Full Stupid:

"House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said Thursday that he doesn’t think it’s necessary for Trump to testify in the impeachment inquiry.

“I don’t see what the president would have to answer,” McCarthy said at his weekly news conference. “The president gave his transcript. What more would you need?”

McCarthy also said he believes Sondland’s testimony exonerated Trump, telling reporters: “I think it was very clear. There was no quid pro quo.”

Will Hurd is the one to watch in my mind. So far he seems to have played it all very straight, asking reasonable questions, not lecturing or proselytizing. If the stonewall breaks, it will likely start with him.
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:41 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:19 pm Keep in mind, this describes the Ukrainian anti corruption reforms which have now twice satisfied our "interagency process" in order to approve two large tranches of lethal military aid to Ukraine ? ...what would it take to earn a disapproval ?
You're playing dumb. You, of all people know the answer is: nothing. And this has been the answer for decades. Which is why it's laughable that Trump put the funds on hold because of corruption concerns.

We bankrolled Saddam, FFS. And Netanyahu just got indicted for corruption this very week. Is Trump going to stop sending Israel money? :roll:
I'm not playing dumb. I'm pointing out what a tub of eye wash the Deep State Russophobic "interagency process" has been foisting upon us to rationalize sending potent lethal military aid to Ukraine. Obama didn't buy it. Trump just went along to placate Congressional hawks, including many (R)'s.
It's the sanctimony which undermines their case. Just admit it. Both the Ukrainians & Russians are a bunch of corrupt oligarchs. We've been backing the ones who best serve our interests. Fair enough.

If we're willing to enter a new Cold War to back Ukraine, FINE -- then make that case to the American people, rather than quietly trying to slip it through the USAID process, citing fig leaf anti-corruption reforms.

FTR -- I've supported lethal military aid to Ukraine (along with deploying an Armored BCT to Poland), ever since Russia annexed Crimea in 2014.
The thing that bugs me most about Ukraine -- they've squandered so much national capital since the USSR blew up.
Relatively, they had far more national assets & fewer liabilities than Russia.
Had Kuchma been as competent an autocrat as Putin, kept his oligarchs in line & rebuilt his military like Putin did, Russia would not be in a position to threaten Ukraine. The Ukrainian oligarchs plundered their national wealth & have much less to show for it than Vlad & his pals do.
I'm loath to pick sides in a fight between 2 corrupt former Soviet Republics, especially when the one we're backing has no national history of their own, beyond being the birthplace of the Russian nation.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:18 pm

The thing that bugs me most about Ukraine -- they've squandered so much national capital since the USSR blew up.
Had Kuchma been as competent an autocrat as Putin, kept his oligarchs in line & rebuilt his military like Putin did, Russia would not be in a position to threaten Ukraine. The Ukrainian oligarchs plundered their national wealth & have much less to show for it than Vlad & his pals do.
I'm loath to pick sides in a fight between 2 corrupt former Soviet Republics, especially when the one we're backing has no national history of their own, beyond being the birthplace of the Russian nation.
You might want to check with the Ukrainian Cossacks about that. They did not see themselves as Russians.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:41 pm I'm not playing dumb. I'm pointing out what a tub of eye wash the Deep State Russophobic "interagency process" has been foisting upon us to rationalize sending potent lethal military aid to Ukraine. Obama didn't buy it. Trump just went along to placate Congressional hawks, including many (R)'s.
It's the sanctimony which undermines their case. Just admit it.
Who/what is "their case"? Hawks? Trump? I don't understand what you mean here.
old salt wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:41 pm Both the Ukrainians & Russians are a bunch of corrupt oligarchs. We've been backing the ones who best serve our interests. Fair enough.

Well as you know, I've had the same position this whole time, dating back to the invasion: not our military problem. Levy economic sanctions, and move our attention.....whether than means Obama's or Trump's attention....to more important issues.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Will Hurd is the one to watch in my mind. So far he seems to have played it all very straight, asking reasonable questions, not lecturing or proselytizing.

Just said he's seen no evidence of bribery. Don't hold your breath.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Congressman Hurd
A FREE AND PROSPERSOUS UKRAINE IS IMPORTANT TO THE SECURITY OF THE UKRAINIAN PEOPLE, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, AND THE REST OF THE WORLD.
Good reason why we support Ukraine over Russia.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ggait wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:09 pm
Will Hurd is the one to watch in my mind. So far he seems to have played it all very straight, asking reasonable questions, not lecturing or proselytizing.

Just said he's seen no evidence of bribery. Don't hold your breath.
Yup, saw that. I am curious why he feels the WB is relevant at all at this point. Seems like he has fallen in line. Also curious why Mulvaney was not on his list. He is much more relevant than the WB.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Holmes testified that, thanks to our help, Ukraine has the most capable & battle hardened military force in Europe.
If that's the case, NATO is really in trouble.

{moving this to the National Security thread}
old salt

Post by old salt »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:49 pm

You might want to check with the Ukrainian Cossacks about that. They did not see themselves as Russians.
The Cossacks have much more history as Russians than as Ukrainians.
old salt

Post by old salt »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:14 pm

Congressman Hurd
A FREE AND PROSPERSOUS UKRAINE IS IMPORTANT TO THE SECURITY OF THE UKRAINIAN PEOPLE, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, AND THE REST OF THE WORLD.
Who says we have to pick a side ? ...or get out ahead of our EU NATO allies.

Has anyone asked the voters about this ?
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:27 pm
foreverlax wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:14 pm

Congressman Hurd
Who says we have to pick a side ? ...or get out ahead of our EU NATO allies.

Has anyone asked the voters about this ?
If you are asking me, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:25 pm

Texas natives will proudly tell you they're Texans. They'll also proudly tell you they're Americans.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:25 pm

That is not the question. The Ukrainian Cossacks saw themselves as something apart from Russians. They had a state, separate from Russia. They were constantly in play between the Poles and the Russians. Ukrainian Cossacks. These were a free people who fought for that freedom and were ultimately overpowered by the Russians. Sound familiar?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 pm
seacoaster wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:58 pm Kevin McCarthy going Full Stupid:

Will Hurd is the one to watch in my mind. So far he seems to have played it all very straight, asking reasonable questions, not lecturing or proselytizing. If the stonewall breaks, it will likely start with him.
He didn't break today. He clearly thinks this was "bungling" and "wrong" but he's holding the line on impeachment...so far.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I found interesting the facts/figures Holmes shared about US vs EU/EU nations support for Ukraine since the invasion and taking of Crimea and continuing hot war.

$3B from US
$12B from EU/EU nations.

4X
ggait

Post by ggait »

Yup, saw that. I am curious why he feels the WB is relevant at all at this point. Seems like he has fallen in line. Also curious why Mulvaney was not on his list. He is much more relevant than the WB.
Hurd is goose stepping along with the rest. He's an African American from a swing district and is retiring from Congress. If he's not listening to the facts, hard to see any Banana Republican doing so.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ggait wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:50 pm
Hurd is goose stepping along with the rest. He's an African American from a swing district and is retiring from Congress. If he's not listening to the facts, hard to see any Banana Republican doing so.
Strange times.

Return to “POLITICS”