D3 Mens Lacrosse
LaserLite’88

SUNYAC 20

Post by LaserLite’88 »

Who ya got for 2020
fanOlax

Re: SUNYAC 20

Post by fanOlax »

Should be another interesting year for the SUNYACs.

Early predictions based on minimal knowledge and research...

1) Cortland - Although they have not been the powerhouse they once were, I am assuming Cortland will reload enough to remain at the top of the conference for this seasons.

2) Geneseo - Solid Head Coach, solid competition outside of the conference, third year in Fiorentino's systems and under his lead. I think this team has a lot going for them and they will continue to improve.

3) Oswego - Solid recruiting, consistent coaching, high talent levels. Oswego has made progress in the right direction, I think they will always have factors that limit their ceiling (ugly campus & mountains of snow), but they will be a solid contender.

4) Plattsburgh - I think Plattsburgh saw their peak and will be clawing to stay relevant in the next few years. Hopefully May has had some success recruiting and can get some studs in like that had for years and years.

5) Oneonta - Kind of a wild card but they end up in the 5 spot based on the last 3 teams being total question marks in my opinion. Definitely lost some talent in last years class including a high scoring attackman. We will see if Coach Owens can translate Maryland connections into NY recruiting connections.

6) Brockport - Hopefully Brockport can end their steady decline since 2-3 years ago. Seems like a lack of talent on the offensive end has really held them back the last couple seasons. Tough to see a school that was a top contender become a bottom feeder so quickly. If Wineburg can bring in some more talent offensively they should be able to bounce back and move up.

7) Potsdam - Another team that really needs to take a look in the mirror and see what the future holds. Numbers on their roster have been super low the last few years. I know Potsdam cant be the easy place to recruit to but they had solid talent for a long run. Berkman definitely has the connections hopefully he can right the ship.

8) New Paltz - New program, great location, do not know much/anything about the coach but he should be able to build a solid program there. New Paltz is a nice campus in a great location for recruiting lacrosse players. Awesome to see a new team in the conference. Hopefully they will make some noise in the near future!

Probably a lot of incorrect guesses in this but no one has been showing the SUNYACs any attention so I figured I would..
RetiredCardinal

Post by RetiredCardinal »

Cortland @ Salisbury March 14. Interesting OOC match-up!

Geneseo back on Md's Eastern Shore for St. Patty's Day tilt w Gulls too.
GreyBear

Post by GreyBear »

I heard Potsdam got a solid group of Transfers in, should they all hit their Academics & be eligible for Spring I think the Bears can bounce back a bit..
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

Cortland is underrated. Numerous Liberty League teams should have scheduled them.
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

fanOlax wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:36 am Should be another interesting year for the SUNYACs.

7) Potsdam - ...I know Potsdam cant be the easy place to recruit to but they had solid talent for a long run...
Truth be told, I just wanted to get the SUNYAC board off of page 2. But since I'm here.

"...can't be an easy place to recruit to..." or, the Bears haven't been actively recruiting?
richard

Post by richard »

ToastDunk wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:31 pm
fanOlax wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:36 am Should be another interesting year for the SUNYACs.

7) Potsdam - ...I know Potsdam cant be the easy place to recruit to but they had solid talent for a long run...
Truth be told, I just wanted to get the SUNYAC board off of page 2. But since I'm here.

"...can't be an easy place to recruit to..." or, the Bears haven't been actively recruiting?
I might agree with you TD. SLU, Clarkson, and Platty seem to get some players. SLU and Clarkson are different but Platty not so much.
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

Oneonta big wild card this year. Lost top attackman and starting goalie but picked up a couple of fogos and have a new solid goalie. No Maryland recruits whatsoever. Time to see what direction owens is taking the team.
GreyBear

Post by GreyBear »

richard wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:02 pm

I might agree with you TD. SLU, Clarkson, and Platty seem to get some players. SLU and Clarkson are different but Platty not so much.
Clarkson and SLU obviously attract different types of student athletes than Potsdam, while Platty is a direct trip up from the island. I wouldn't necessarily say they directly recruit against each other outside the occasional "must have" recruit out of the Watertown area or in Section 10. They also used to get a ton of top box talent out of Canada, but since a ton of D2 schools came around that offer $$ they slowly got less recruits from there. A school like RIT also didn't help that. This put Potsdam in a position for the last decade to recruit against Oneonta in the Capital region and Brockport/Oswego/Geneseo in the CNY/WNY areas. Those schools are in bigger towns that are continuing to modernize, while the Village of Potsdam is a far cry from progress (however that could be changing if they receive the state grant to revitalize the "DT" area there). Potsdam used to have some of the nicest facilities in the SUNYAC's too, but again other schools are catching up (hello beautiful new stadiums/indoor practice facilities at Oswego/Oneonta/Geneseo). So the edge they used to carry in recruiting has shifted, and they need to find the new edge in my opinion... They started up a 3/2 engineering program in partnership with Clarkson awhile back that they should start selling to potential students as basically you get a Clarkson degree paying 3 years at a State price from my understanding. They also have a great Criminal Justice program that teamed up with the State Police that I'm sure a ton of potential athletes would be interested in. The program just needs a bit of a refresh and they can get back to where they were.
SpringLax

Post by SpringLax »

GreyBear wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:53 pm
richard wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:02 pm

Clarkson and SLU obviously attract different types of student athletes than Potsdam, while Platty is a direct trip up from the island. I wouldn't necessarily say they directly recruit against each other outside the occasional "must have" recruit out of the Watertown area or in Section 10. They also used to get a ton of top box talent out of Canada, but since a ton of D2 schools came around that offer $$ they slowly got less recruits from there. A school like RIT also didn't help that. This put Potsdam in a position for the last decade to recruit against Oneonta in the Capital region and Brockport/Oswego/Geneseo in the CNY/WNY areas. Those schools are in bigger towns that are continuing to modernize, while the Village of Potsdam is a far cry from progress (however that could be changing if they receive the state grant to revitalize the "DT" area there). Potsdam used to have some of the nicest facilities in the SUNYAC's too, but again other schools are catching up (hello beautiful new stadiums/indoor practice facilities at Oswego/Oneonta/Geneseo). So the edge they used to carry in recruiting has shifted, and they need to find the new edge in my opinion... They started up a 3/2 engineering program in partnership with Clarkson awhile back that they should start selling to potential students as basically you get a Clarkson degree paying 3 years at a State price from my understanding. They also have a great Criminal Justice program that teamed up with the State Police that I'm sure a ton of potential athletes would be interested in. The program just needs a bit of a refresh and they can get back to where they were.
Great insight from Grey.... I can say the Oneonta location and the nice field was an attraction to my son. The newly deployed discipline is an attraction to the parents. Which is starting to show with a better set of athletes in the program. It is interesting to hear what attracts kids to the school other than the idea of coming out of college without a ton of debt.
richard

Post by richard »

Oneonta is a great location for Long Island, Capitol District, CNY, Western NY, and North Country kids. Nagle and Moan teams were pretty good. Kids will go there. Good school too.
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

Update on Oneonta. Goalie change Owens has promoted last years 3rd string goalie as the new starter. Should be very interesting how it works out once they start playing real competition. First 2 games should be easy wins after that it will get interesting.
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

Geneseo 12-11 over Ithaca. Impressive win for the knights. Plattsburgh with an OT win over Skidmore. Oneonta faces Suny Maritime tomorrow. Prediction 20-10 Maritime on top.
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

Nice come from behind win by the Bears over SUNY Poly on Wednesday. Not loosing their @#$& late in the 4th Q showed control, and a team coming together. Gotta start moving the ball. Season is young, lots to improve on. Utica this Saturday.
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

Forget burning boats Oneonta a sinking ship after blowing a first half lead in the final minute of the 2nd quarter giving up the go ahead goal with seconds left to go into half time down 7-6 only to implode in the second half with a final score of 19-10 in favor of Maritime. They will most likely struggle badly in their remaining out of conference games especially the next four vs vassar, muhlenberg, stockton and ithaca.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Strong showing by Geneseo in a tight 9-7 loss to St. Lawrence today. With Geneseo holding a win over Ithaca, who beat defending champion Cabrini today, Geneseo looks like the way-too-early favorite to take the SUNYAC.

Back-to-back ugly offensive performances by Cortland, first a 10-5 loss to St. Lawrence, and today hanging on for a 10-9 win over a good but not great Scranton team. The Red Dragons are incredibly young with multiple freshman and sophomores on the starting A, M, and D lines. There's plenty of time to put the offense together, but this program is nowhere near where it was 10-15 years ago.

Platty took a big step backward after the SUNYAC championship win in 2017, and Brockport doesn't look ready to step up after the Nazareth beat down. But Oswego gave Cortland a scare in last year's final, and they're 3-0 out of the gate (without a strong test yet).
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

I agree Geneseo hottest team in Sunyac right now. Definite threat to cortland. Hard to say where oswego and plattsburgh are at with their early season ooc games but look like they will finish in sunyac playoff contention. Oneonta struggling with injuries to a starting Dman and their goalie experiment not looking good so far. Starting goalie pulled in last two games. Potsdam ooc schedule is weak so hard to see if they've improved from last season similar for brockport. New Paltz ran into a buzzsaw at farmingdale.
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

It's fair to say that I am sentimental in wanting Cortland to do well. Genny looks good for sure but
you never know what would happen if it was down to those two
Whatyagonnado

Post by Whatyagonnado »

Any word on SUNY play going forward now that they are taking classes online soon? IMHO.. this is all quite overblown...
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

If the players are not allowed on campus the season will be at the least suspended. So figure starting by no later than March 19 suny Spring sports will be suspended.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”