Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Lax1

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by Lax1 »

Laxfan4 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:03 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:14 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:54 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:47 pm Early signing period is soon correct? Any major seismic shifts with the hopefully trnasformative :roll: 2020 will be the first canary in the coal mine.
Grimes signed his NLI today, via Boys Latin social media.

There are others I'd like confirmation on (McDermott, Smith, Bauer, etc.) but that's at least one important one down. If there was going to be some sort of exodus among the 2020s based on the staff's uncertain status I'm pretty sure it would have happened by now.
just go to the team's twitter or ig account, should be posted there. everyone else's is.
Smith isn’t coming, he didn’t apply.
Seriously?
Any idea why not or what his new plan might be?
Laxfan4

Post by Laxfan4 »

Pretty sure he really doesn’t have one.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I don’t think anyone here speaks for the alumni except “for a small circle of friends”. Phil Ochs
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

InM not sure why anyone would assume the coach has been left “blowing in the wind”.

I suppose it is possible that his future is up on the air but the more likely reason is the new AD is still settling in, one of her first objectives was to interview all the coaches which should have been completed about now. Then she has to develop her plan, budget etc. in my opinion the more likely scenario is the new AD

Why anyone would expect after all the trash talk here either of the twins would come here surprises me.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:57 am Why anyone would expect after all the trash talk here either of the twins would come here surprises me.
There are reasons why they might not want to go to Hopkins, which have already been outlined here, but "a few anonymous bozos on an internet forum saying mean things about daddy" is probably not one of them. At least, it SHOULDN'T be. They would know better than most that there's a lot more to the Hopkins lacrosse community than what you read here.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

OCanada wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:57 am InM not sure why anyone would assume the coach has been left “blowing in the wind”.

I suppose it is possible that his future is up on the air but the more likely reason is the new AD is still settling in, one of her first objectives was to interview all the coaches which should have been completed about now. Then she has to develop her plan, budget etc. in my opinion the more likely scenario is the new AD

Why anyone would expect after all the trash talk here either of the twins would come here surprises me.

You’re blowing smoke. The new AD was promoted from within. She’s had plenty of opportunity to interact with the coaches. The lack of an announced contract extension is significant especially given the potential impact on recruiting.

I’m sure the UVA fans could give us more insight but I don’t think there was a mass exodus of recruits out the door when Starsia was let go. In fact they picked up Schellenberger in the process which helped them and hurt us. The coaching change at UVA helped them immensely.
The coaching change at Maryland helped them.

Sometimes an asteroid hits your program and you have to move on from the dinosaurs.
DMac

Post by DMac »

OCanada wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:57 am
+1,000....and I wouldn't restrict that to just the twins.

As for the playing for their father part, isn't that just a matter of how comfortable they are/would be with that? Some would be fine with it, others would like to step out for a different experience. I don't think it's all that deep. One of Boeheim's sons plays hoops for Cornell, the other for Cuse, both good ball players and doing fine. Analyze that.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DMac wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:18 am
OCanada wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:57 am
+1,000....and I wouldn't restrict that to just the twins.
Hey look, the Obsessed With the Coaches' Weight Guy has logged on. Thanks for the input on online decorum!
DMac

Post by DMac »

I'm hardly obsessed with Dwan's fat a*s*s I just find it unacceptable for a D1 lax coach to be the poster child for morbid obesity.
Morbid obesity is a serious health condition that results from an abnormally high body mass index. A person with morbid obesity may have difficulty performing daily functions, such as walking and breathing, and is at increased risk for many serious health problems. In theory, anyone can become morbidly obese.
"A person with morbid obesity may have difficulty performing daily functions, such as walking and breathing."
You betchya!!!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Well, for better or for worse, the Hopkins thread's page count has pulled way ahead of Loyola's, with Navy's appearing to occupy the second spot.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

The CNY Cancer has returned.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Laxfan4 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:03 pm Smith isn’t coming, he didn’t apply.
I believe you - but it seems odd that a 5 star - IL's #17 player in the country - has decided no on Hopkins and your other post could be interpreted that he hasn't decided if he's playing lax - seems like a pretty big deal that no one else has come up with and another blow to the Hopkins defense as they had a another high ranked defenseman decommit a few months ago.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

He still lists Hopkins lacrosse in his Instagram profile, if that's worth anything.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:11 am
OCanada wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:57 am InM not sure why anyone would assume the coach has been left “blowing in the wind”.

You’re blowing smoke. The new AD was promoted from within. She’s had plenty of opportunity to interact with the coaches. The lack of an announced contract extension is significant especially given the potential impact on recruiting.

I’m sure the UVA fans could give us more insight but I don’t think there was a mass exodus of recruits out the door when Starsia was let go. In fact they picked up Schellenberger in the process which helped them and hurt us. The coaching change at UVA helped them immensely.
The coaching change at Maryland helped them.

Sometimes an asteroid hits your program and you have to move on from the dinosaurs.
For the most part, we collectively advice young HS athletes to choose the SCHOOL first........imagine being at that school without lacrosse........and I remember a young kid heading to an IVY being asked about the coach leaving. "It's an IVY. I'm going to play lacrosse for an IVY, not the coach "

Suddenly, kids are headed to colleges BECAUSE of said coaches? Do DIV 1 coaches eat brownies and sip tee while visiting top recruits, or do coaching staff just do emails and watch HIGHlite reels against club kids will never play anywhere, but it SHOWs D1 talent?

Seems contradick-atory.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Picking 2020 D1 Lacrosse Conference Winners: Part 1 (LaxFactor Lacrosse Podcast #61) SoCon, NEC, Ivy, B1G

https://youtu.be/iFofsWQ0ox0
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Sagittarius.

I will repeat myself here. It is possible there is a discussion about his future with the program.

A more likely explanation is the new AD is interviewing all her coaches, evaluating programs, setting priorities, trying to learn about new responsibilities. O and let me advise you I have one member of my family who is an AD. Another relative who is also an AD and another CFO of a major public university. It is also possible they ranked the issue for later discussion. You don’t know the answer and neither do I but it is totally in character fir you to jump to the conclusion because well motivational thinking
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

HopFan 16. Totally agree. It shouldn’t be and almost certainly isn’t. Where ever they go it won’t be unique.

I would be surprised if they didn’t go to JHU and chose a school on our schedule. If not JHU I am hoping it’s Yale
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yale, a bit like Jackson Morrill... works for me.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

OCanada wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:20 pm Sagittarius.

I will repeat myself here. It is possible there is a discussion about his future with the program.

A more likely explanation is the new AD is interviewing all her coaches, evaluating programs, setting priorities, trying to learn about new responsibilities. O and let me advise you I have one member of my family who is an AD. Another relative who is also an AD and another CFO of a major public university. It is also possible they ranked the issue for later discussion. You don’t know the answer and neither do I but it is totally in character fir you to jump to the conclusion because well motivational thinking
If the AD thought Petro was her guy moving forward she’d move quickly to lock up his services and stabilize his tenure. Her silence speaks volumes.
DMac

Post by DMac »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:47 am The CNY Cancer has returned.
...to the already diseased Hop thread, things are really looking grim there all in all.
Well, according to what you read here anyway.
Question: Inasmuch as I don't believe it would be in any kind of NCAA violation (players
excluded, of course), could a member of the coaching staff have his/her own hot dog
truck down there on the lot at Homewood during the games?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”