Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by DocBarrister »

If I were advising Petro’s young sons (and I am obviously not advising them), I would recommend they go anywhere but Hopkins. Sure, I would enjoy watching them play for the Blue Jays. However, college is a time to spread one’s wings, gain some independence, and begin delineating one’s own path in life. Harder to do that when dad is your college coach.

Wish the boys the best ....

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Oh, BS. Dad could advise them on excellent places to spread their bird seed around Homewood.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:02 pm Exactly why would young Dom make an appearance at Homewood when the administration is clearly letting his pop blow in the wind. Why would he consider coming to JHU when the admin are making NO commitment to his father as coach. To pretend this doesn’t impact other young recruits would be to stick your head into the sand.
So is it Final Four or bust for this staff? What do posters on here think? I expect this team will do better than last year’s group but a Final Four might be a reach.

If Petro goes, who is the most likely candidate to get the job?
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:59 am
flalax22 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:02 pm Exactly why would young Dom make an appearance at Homewood when the administration is clearly letting his pop blow in the wind. Why would he consider coming to JHU when the admin are making NO commitment to his father as coach. To pretend this doesn’t impact other young recruits would be to stick your head into the sand.
So is it Final Four or bust for this staff? What do posters on here think? I expect this team will do better than last year’s group but a Final Four might be a reach.

I am not a JHU fan. I don't like the current coaches, and I think they could get someone better. But the current staff could do a great job with this team and still not make the final four. There are a lot of good teams this season. Virginia, Yale, Maryland and Penn State all should be good. Syracuse and Penn are hoping to make a big run. Cornell and Princeton each have all time great senior attackmen on their team. That doesn't even include Duke, Notre Dame, UNC, Denver which tied Syracuse in a scrimmage or Lehigh which beat Syracuse in a scrimmage. Or OSU, who should be very good. I'm sure I'm missing plenty of other teams that all think they have a legitimate shot to make a long tournament run.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Just to fill in the folks here, OCanada dropped Conor Desimone from his fantasy team. It's there for everyone to see, so I don't think I'm doing anything wrong by mentioning it here.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:37 am Just to fill in the folks here, OCanada dropped Conor Desimone from his fantasy team. It's there for everyone to see, so I don't think I'm doing anything wrong by mentioning it here.
literally nobody cares
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:59 am So is it Final Four or bust for this staff? What do posters on here think? I expect this team will do better than last year’s group but a Final Four might be a reach.
I'd be very surprised if they are given an ultimatum as specific as this. I think when the season is over, it will be obvious as to whether or not it was a "successful" season that might spark some hope for the future. It doesn't make sense to say "final four or bust." What if the team goes undefeated but then gets narrowly upset in the quarterfinals? You gonna fire the guy after that? Obviously that's highly, highly unlikely but it's just one of many scenarios I can think of in which the overall strength of the team, and its potential moving forward, may not necessarily be reflected precisely in how deep into the NCAA tournament the team goes. Another 8-win season that results in a first round blowout loss, however? That might be curtains.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Good chance of extension if they make ff or better. Anything less and probably time for change. 1 ff in a decade is Patriot/CAA stuff. Maryland/hop/acc 1 title a decade and 1 ff a class is a reasonable standard.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Do we know for sure they are twisting in the wind? All we know is that there has been no press release on an extension. So far there was one defensive decommit from the 2020 class (a big class) and the 2021 class is apparently strong on defense/goalie - meh on the offensive side. I am sure recruits and families must be inquiring and they must - to some degree - be comfortable with the answers. Early signing period is soon correct? Any major seismic shifts with the hopefully trnasformative :roll: 2020 will be the first canary in the coal mine.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:47 pm Early signing period is soon correct? Any major seismic shifts with the hopefully trnasformative :roll: 2020 will be the first canary in the coal mine.
Grimes signed his NLI today, via Boys Latin social media.

There are others I'd like confirmation on (McDermott, Smith, Bauer, etc.) but that's at least one important one down. If there was going to be some sort of exodus among the 2020s based on the staff's uncertain status I'm pretty sure it would have happened by now.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:54 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:47 pm Early signing period is soon correct? Any major seismic shifts with the hopefully trnasformative :roll: 2020 will be the first canary in the coal mine.

There are others I'd like confirmation on (McDermott, Smith, Bauer, etc.) but that's at least one important one down. If there was going to be some sort of exodus among the 2020s based on the staff's uncertain status I'm pretty sure it would have happened by now.
just go to the team's twitter or ig account, should be posted there. everyone else's is.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:14 pm

just go to the team's twitter or ig account, should be posted there. everyone else's is.
Nothing on either!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Do Blue Jays eat crickets?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

First, Jeanine Tucker’s son went to VA. AA middie. Scott Marr’s son went to Hopkins. DP trusted by other coaches. Marr is not a stand alone.

Anyone who cares who I drop in a fantasy league should have their head examined. I did drop DeSimonne but it had everything to do with getting a freshman and dropping a junior who will be gone by the time my team can recover from losing its entire attack over the last two two years. In other words roster management
Last edited by OCanada on Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:07 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:59 am

I am not a JHU fan. I don't like the current coaches, and I think they could get someone better. But the current staff could do a great job with this team and still not make the final four. There are a lot of good teams this season. Virginia, Yale, Maryland and Penn State all should be good. Syracuse and Penn are hoping to make a big run. Cornell and Princeton each have all time great senior attackmen on their team. That doesn't even include Duke, Notre Dame, UNC, Denver which tied Syracuse in a scrimmage or Lehigh which beat Syracuse in a scrimmage. Or OSU, who should be very good. I'm sure I'm missing plenty of other teams that all think they have a legitimate shot to make a long tournament run.
What is the expected tenure for a competitive Division 1 lacrosse Coach? Scotty and Chic moved on by their own volition. Does anyone really think that it is a lifetime job, or the college owes the coach employment no matter what your record?

Do you need to be a really good college player in order to be college coach? I don't think so. Look at Bill Tierney, the coaches at Yale, Cornell, Duke, Penn, Notre Dame, Princeton, Virginia, Maryland, etc. Were any of those coaches All Americans as players?

Do other colleges hire away the top assistants to Coach P? I don't think so. Why not?

Do high school players go to a college to play lacrosse for the coach or because of the reputation of the college? I think that the players went to Yale or Duke or Cornell or Princeton or Hopkins because of the universities' academic reputation. Except for Hopkins, also its long and proud tradition of lacrosse excellence.

I went to a recent lunch where Rocky Wirtz (the owner of the Chicago Blackhawks) gave a talk. He was asked why Joel Quenneville (the prior Coach) was let go. He coached from 2008-2018, won 3 Stanley Cups, and had an overall record of 452-249. In 2015-2016, the Hawks lost in the 1st round, and in 2017-2018 they missed the playoffs. Wirtz said the Team was slipping, can't fire the Team, and the easiest shakeup is to get rid of the Coach. He also said when the players are criticized by the media or the fans, their response is the criticism isn't really valid unless that person "has been on the ice".

Joe Maddon, the Cubs Manager, was let go after the 2019 season, having won the World Series, and been in the Playoffs for 5 years , except 2019. They lost 9 games in a row in September, and lost their last game 0-9 to St, Louis. The parting was amiable, and Chicago wished Maddon well, BUT the Cubs liked winning, and it was obvious to everyone that the Team had started to slide the wrong way.

Usually. people with a job are required to state their objectives and goals for the upcoming year. That is reviewed each year against actual accomplishments. If after a few years, the accomplishments don't meet the goals, it is time to move on. Why should life be different for a lacrosse coach?

Isn't it time for Coach Pietramala to move on gracefully?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Chic retired because of health issues. His tenure was cut short because of his health.

Scottie was head coach for 20 years or a little more and was promoted to AD. His choice. He became coach in the 1950s and aim his pre tourney first title, I think, in 1967. Navy won something like 6/7 titles in a row.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

man, the pitchforks sure are out lately. frankie better watch out and get to the high ground.

fwiw, the blackhawks were 6th out of 7 in their division last year, and are 13th out of 15 in their conference this year. tbd on the cubs, though taking any and all wagers whether their next manager matches maddon.

it's always been my impression in pro sports you actually can fire the players.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:18 pm man, the pitchforks sure are out lately. frankie better watch out and get to the high ground.

fwiw, the blackhawks were 6th out of 7 in their division last year, and are 13th out of 15 in their conference this year. tbd on the cubs, though taking any and all wagers whether their next manager matches maddon.

You can argue your points with Theo Epstein, who did a good job with both the Red Sox and the Cubs. He gets well-paid to make the decisions.

Chicago is a big hockey town, and you can argue your point of view with Rocky Wirtz (and Kane and Toews). Not me. I just reported what they did.

They take winning and losing seriously, and do it for a profession and do it for money. I don't and I suspect that neither do you. ;)
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

This coaching staff has built up so much animosity with the alumni that I frankly don’t see how it can continue like this. Something has to change.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Chitown wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:53 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:18 pm man, the pitchforks sure are out lately. frankie better watch out and get to the high ground.

You can argue your points with Theo Epstein, who did a good job with both the Red Sox and the Cubs. He gets well-paid to make the decisions.

Chicago is a big hockey town, and you can argue your point of view with Rocky Wirtz (and Kane and Toews). Not me. I just reported what they did.

They take winning and losing seriously, and do it for a profession and do it for money. I don't and I suspect that neither do you. ;)
huh....

if i'm not mistaken, correct me if i'm wrong... besides reporting, you also used it as a lead in and an inference about what johns hopkins should be doing. or pietramala, gracefully.
in reply, i gave the interim results of that specific decision in one case, and a thought on the other. certainly, many examples on either side of the ledger can be found. but those were your examples. anyway, theo and mr. blackhawks owner certainly can do as they wish without my say so, but that doesn't mean their decisions are beyond reproach.

again fwiw, but i'm more than a little surprised that as an alum of the program that you'd choose this forum to air it out instead of or in addition to other avenues, joining in with the peanut gallery. for them, it can not only be commonplace but expected, they're engaged fans and not unlike a nebraska football forum. not so much for yourself. anyway, carry on and good luck with your search.
Laxfan4

Post by Laxfan4 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:14 pm

Smith isn’t coming, he didn’t apply.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”