Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:35 am The VA message Board has him as a VA commit. They are usually on target but I can’t vouch for it
The Virginia message board has everyone as a Virginia commit.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

OCanada wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:35 am The VA message Board has him as a VA commit. They are usually on target but I can’t vouch for it

No they don’t. Read again.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Did I misread it? If so sorry. I will reread it.

”2022 class has some elite offensive talent
Spallina, Pietriemala, Terenzi, Balsamo, Sutherland...all played major roles for top 25 programs except Balsamo, who plays for Chaminade where they never put freshmen on varsity.”

I read class to refer to their recruiting class not the entire class. i apologize because I think that was a misread.

It dies make sense in that I don’t believe he will go to anyone we play and Jeanine Tucker’s som went there.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:15 pm Might not have the grades.
Excellent.

Probably too much of a social life for him at homewood. Wanted to be somewhere with less attractive coeds and more opportunity to focus on lacrosse and studies.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Maybe it's just because I'm a Syracuse fan, but if the JHU Head Coach's sons are good enough to play at JHU, it would seem very strange to me if they decide to attend a different school.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:11 am Maybe it's just because I'm a Syracuse fan, but if the JHU Head Coach's sons are good enough to play at JHU, it would seem very strange to me if they decide to attend a different school.
I am not - I am disappointed - but not surprised nor do I think it that strange. I can think of several reasons why he wouldn't want to go to Hopkins. They can range from all the reasons some top recruits do not consider Hopkins (i.e. the unique nature of Hopkins as a DI program and as a school) to all the reasons some kids may not want to play for their father or you certainly can't blame a family for an opportunity at an IVY or a UVA diploma. I saw an interview with DP43 when he was asked about the twins and lax and he said something that led me to believe there is a VERY high level of standards and expectations in the Petro household.

Anyway FWIW my secret source said Dominic did have UVA and the Ivies at the top of the list.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:21 am
ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:11 am Maybe it's just because I'm a Syracuse fan, but if the JHU Head Coach's sons are good enough to play at JHU, it would seem very strange to me if they decide to attend a different school.
I am not - I am disappointed - but not surprised nor do I think it that strange. I can think of several reasons why he wouldn't want to go to Hopkins. They can range from all the reasons some top recruits do not consider Hopkins (i.e. the unique nature of Hopkins as a DI program and as a school) to all the reasons some kids may not want to play for their father or you certainly can't blame a family for an opportunity at an IVY or a UVA diploma. I saw an interview with DP43 when he was asked about the twins and lax and he said something that led me to believe there is a VERY high level of standards and expectations in the Petro household.

Anyway FWIW my secret source said Dominic did have UVA and the Ivies at the top of the list.
Thanks for the insight. I was gonna post something else, but it seemed a little harsh on the boys. Also, it seems like the new recruiting rules aren't quite working how they were intended if the boys are being recruited by colleges already.

I read your last sentence as "secret sauce".
Last edited by ohmilax34 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

A couple other considerations:
Brendan Grimes is a 2020 JHU commit and lefty attackman at Boys Latin. Dom P. is a 2022 lefty attackman at Boys Latin. Grimes is very good. Is Dom going to be as good? Dom is two years younger, but they overlap a little. UVA has Russell Maher in the 2020 HS class and he is very good too.

Oh, and the Calvert Hall attackman, Truitt Sunderland, is a 2022. He's a huge JHU fan, so there you go.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:26 am
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:21 am

Thanks for the insight. I was gonna post something else, but it seemed a little harsh on the boys. Also, it seems like the new recruiting rules aren't quite working how they were intended if the boys are being recruited by colleges already.

I read your last sentence as "secret sauce".
The recruiting rules might be a little tough to enforce for a few kids whose parents are directly involved in the process (college coaches or club coaches). I'm sure Petro could ask any of his colleagues if they'd be interested in his son. The same is true for Spallina, I'm sure his father has been on the phone with every coach in the country because of the 2020 Team 91 crush team he coaches and I'm sure it's possible his son's name has come up. That being said those kids probably aren't directly talking with coaches or taking any visits.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I don't have 51's secret source but it doesn't seem strange to me either. Some kids don't want dad to also be their coach. Perhaps they want to carve out their own paths after being exposed to so much Blue Jay lacrosse growing up. Disappointing for us Hopkins fans, but not wildly unexpected, IMO.

Not going to speculate on their academic situations but I find it extremely hard to believe that (hypothetically) the sons of the longtime lacrosse coach wouldn't get into Hopkins, no matter what their grades were like. (Again, I don't know anything.) Plenty of athletes with questionable grades have gotten in—perhaps not as often or as easily as some of you would like. But they're definitely not saying no to Dave Pietramala's kids if that's where they want to go to college.

Sunderland would be more a lot more than a consolation prize if young Dom does indeed decide to take his talents elsewhere. Kid is terrific.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

My comment was applauding WOMBAT, I have no interest in discussing a guy who is years from playing from someone not on our schedule.

IL lists terps, ohio state, unc, cuse as offseason "winners". Presumably Loyola would've been among their biggest losers. If we start again with Towson and loyola you'd like to see us notch those 2 wins since it seems the acc and former middle class of the big ten (ohio state, penn state) are going to be tougher this year.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/slidesho ... 17?slide=9
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Chuckman wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:37 pm
steel_hop wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:32 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:17 am It may be about the players he has and what he thinks their capabilities are. The point about the world games is well taken because he had great defensive players then. But If he doesn’t feel the risk-reward is worth it he’s got to adapt his system to his players abilities and skill sets. The loss of Foley probably means less takeaways next year. If he can get good goal tending and decent ssdm play my guess is he stays passive and waits for a bad shot or shot clock violation.
Even when he had really good athletic Dmen and SSDM, he played a very passive style. I doubt we see him change now.
Short of being in the semi-final or final ( even that may not be enough ) this will be last year DP is in charge of the defense here at Homewood.
I've said that before so we will believe it when we see it at some point without a contract next year something has to give. As much loyalty as Petro has I doubt he shows up June 1st (or whatever the day is after his contract runs out) and works for free.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:46 pm Orgeron projects a sense of urgency, confidence, openness, joy and determination. Contrast that with Homewood.
One thing you can say the Orgeron has done is that he is constant willing to improve his team especially on the coaching front. One of LSU's biggest issues has been not getting enough out of their offensive talent - they had Jarvis Landry and OBJ as starting WRs at one point. They went out and hired an offensive assistant from New Orleans to improve to modernize the offense and beat up Bama on Saturday night. Can Hopkins under Petro say it has done the same thing in the last decade?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:47 am My comment was applauding WOMBAT, I have no interest in discussing a guy who is years from playing from someone not on our schedule.

IL lists terps, ohio state, unc, cuse as offseason "winners". Presumably Loyola would've been among their biggest losers. If we start again with Towson and loyola you'd like to see us notch those 2 wins since it seems the acc and former middle class of the big ten (ohio state, penn state) are going to be tougher this year.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/slidesho ... 17?slide=9
One thing the IL article lists as a big offseason positive is teams keeping their staffs together. Hopkins seems to have no problem keeping their staff intact.
molo

Post by molo »

When I first read the comment on thesabre, I took it to mean he was going to UVA. Upon further review, I think it refers to the overall class, not just to members of that class who are likely to go to UVA.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Exactly why would young Dom make an appearance at Homewood when the administration is clearly letting his pop blow in the wind. Why would he consider coming to JHU when the admin are making NO commitment to his father as coach. To pretend this doesn’t impact other young recruits would be to stick your head into the sand.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:02 pm Exactly why would young Dom make an appearance at Homewood when the administration is clearly letting his pop blow in the wind. Why would he consider coming to JHU when the admin are making NO commitment to his father as coach. To pretend this doesn’t impact other young recruits would be to stick your head into the sand.
Isn's this a moot point? By the time the kid is allowed to talk to coaches and go on official visits (September of 2020), we will long since have known whether or not his father is still the coach of the team moving forward. If he's not, then, yeah, no one will be shocked if the kid takes his talents elsewhere. But say the Blue Jays happen to have a good season this spring and they recommit to Petro with an extension in June. Assuming he takes it, you'd think if that's good enough for him, it'd be good enough for his son too. Seems a little silly to think that the kid might hold some kind of a grudge against the school while his dad does not.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:55 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:46 pm Orgeron projects a sense of urgency, confidence, openness, joy and determination. Contrast that with Homewood.
One thing you can say the Orgeron has done is that he is constant willing to improve his team especially on the coaching front. One of LSU's biggest issues has been not getting enough out of their offensive talent - they had Jarvis Landry and OBJ as starting WRs at one point. They went out and hired an offensive assistant from New Orleans to improve to modernize the offense and beat up Bama on Saturday night. Can Hopkins under Petro say it has done the same thing in the last decade?
You're right. He has not hired an offensive assistant from New Orleans. He doesn't have Orgeron's bucks!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Not sure if this was already discussed - but why would it be seen as overly odd, by any Hopkins fan, if he attended a different institution? Didn’t one of your best players the past 4 years have a dad as a HC at another D1 institution? Now you can clearly argue around academics at Hopkins vs other school as a factor but it’s still an example of a young man playing and matriculating academically at another top D1 lax program rather than playing for his father. Could be many reasons for those decisions that have no negative connotations.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Coach Scott Marr was a Blue Jay himself, who played with Dave Pietramala.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”