Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I want to know who the thug was that went into the stands.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:35 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:26 pm “Lacrosse DOO”

That right there is a perfect two word description of everything in the Cordish Center right now.
nice Wombat. I guess technically O'Branski is the DLO or the DOLO. I have zero idea what he does other than what the bio says. "Involved with operational aspects of both programs" Hmm - vague to say the least. Sounds like he is also the summer camp guy and managing the social media platforms. OK - on the last point I would have to say he is below plan (I guess that depends on what objectives his bosses give him).
The team had a great student volunteer social media manager the last few years, but she graduated, which is perhaps why the online presence has been lacking so far. Still, the women's team puts out all kinds of stuff. They certainly could be doing more. Have neither seen nor heard anything about the indoor box scrimmages the team does every year, nor the wheelchair charity game. Both you would think are things the team would want to publicize to fans/potential recruits.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

The fanbase A&A: Atrophy and Apathy.

Was the DOO the thug?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

"Oh, does he. His Louisiana came out Saturday night, that fire that only those good Cajun people keep bottled up before it spills out like etouffee. He sounded like a man who was doubted from the start. “Might get to go to a 7-Eleven and get me a Monster or Red Bull without people saying ‘Gotta beat those guys,’ Well, I beat ’em,” Orgeron said from the same pulpit that two years ago he glared at a camera man and delivered a now famous quote, “We comin’. And we’re not backing down.” Is LSU finally there? “We were there tonight,” he says. He talked of beating Alabama again. This is the first but won’t be the last. He exuded confidence, his chest nearly ripping through a purple, short-sleeved collar shirt. “We felt all week that we were the better team,” he said. That’s what he told the team before embarking on the trip. “We’re getting on that plane,” he said, “and we’re going to beat Alabama.”"
https://www.si.com/college/2019/11/10/l ... er-alabama

Maybe we could take up a collection and have ed orgeron come speak to our program and light a fire under their (.....)-sticks. When was the last time we saw a Hopkins team play with this mentality consistently?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:40 am "Oh, does he. His Louisiana came out Saturday night, that fire that only those good Cajun people keep bottled up before it spills out like etouffee. He sounded like a man who was doubted from the start. “Might get to go to a 7-Eleven and get me a Monster or Red Bull without people saying ‘Gotta beat those guys,’ Well, I beat ’em,” Orgeron said from the same pulpit that two years ago he glared at a camera man and delivered a now famous quote, “We comin’. And we’re not backing down.” Is LSU finally there? “We were there tonight,” he says. He talked of beating Alabama again. This is the first but won’t be the last. He exuded confidence, his chest nearly ripping through a purple, short-sleeved collar shirt. “We felt all week that we were the better team,” he said. That’s what he told the team before embarking on the trip. “We’re getting on that plane,” he said, “and we’re going to beat Alabama.”"
https://www.si.com/college/2019/11/10/l ... er-alabama

Maybe we could take up a collection and have ed orgeron come speak to our program and light a fire under their (.....)-sticks. When was the last time we saw a Hopkins team play with this mentality consistently?
Kyle Harrison and THE NOW LEGENDARY Class of 2005, who spent their final season proving to everyone that they weren’t quitters, as they were accused of being in the 2004 NCAA semifinals.

And they never did quit, did they?

Still the best lacrosse team of the 21st century in my book.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Orgeron projects a sense of urgency, confidence, openness, joy and determination. Contrast that with Homewood.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:46 pm Orgeron projects a sense of urgency, confidence, openness, joy and determination. Contrast that with Homewood.
You can't compare SEC football with its multimillion-dollar budgets and massive student and non-student support with D1 lacrosse!
Football is bigger than religion in the South. People live and die according to the football season. No other college sport can have that
kind of passion. Almost all D1 sports have more than lacrosse.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:46 pm Orgeron projects a sense of urgency, confidence, openness, joy and determination. Contrast that with Homewood.
Same happens at Homewood at mid terms after long hours of studying

The fiery over the top spectacle of football programs such as LSU or Alabama is really not a good comparative for most sport programs. Maybe be different if 100k attended lax games after hours of tailgating.

Preparing a good game plan , putting on eye black and playing Eye of the Tiger in locker room before a pep speech by a captain provides enuff motivation for most to go out and play hard
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Drcthru wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:11 pm
You can't compare SEC football with its multimillion-dollar budgets and massive student and non-student support with D1 lacrosse!
Football is bigger than religion in the South. People live and die according to the football season. No other college sport can have that
kind of passion. Almost all D1 sports have more than lacrosse.
When I was working in Texas, the most important sport was football.
The second most important?

Spring football.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hopkins lacrosse is not LSU football, nor will it ever be, but if you want to go to a school where lacrosse is actually important (relative to other sports, at least), then Hopkins is undoubtedly a good choice. There are schools where it's clear that lacrosse is not and never will be any kind of priority and it shows in attendance, facilities, etc. This, despite some of said schools fielding some pretty competitive teams. If only their communities had any idea. A team in scarlet and gray comes to mind. Despite the complaints you hear, Homewood still has some of the best attendance in the sport. If you're a lacrosse player who wants to feel like you matter (and that people actually care about you), it's tough to beat playing for the Jays on Homewood Field in the middle of Baltimore. Sure, Syracuse, Maryland, Virginia, etc. are also good options. Still, I take '06's point that there are several qualities missing right now, though, of course, a lot of those things come with winning.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I predict soccer being more important on campus for the next few weeks.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Both sides.
The Lady Jays are "2-0 all-time against the Nittany Lions."
But, you have to read the whole story.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I don’t recall anyone accusing the 2004 team of quitting let alone everyone. I was on the field by the bench for 2003/2004 FFs. I didn’t see it or hear it Newspaper articles?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:24 pm I don’t recall anyone accusing the 2004 team of quitting let alone everyone. I was on the field by the bench for 2003/2004 FFs. I didn’t see it or hear it Newspaper articles?
See page 4 of John Jiloty’s book, “Undefeated,” which chronicles the 2005 Hopkins season. He mentions the accusations briefly.

https://books.google.com/books?id=HJ3Oy ... 04&f=false

Here’s a quote from Pietramala after they won the 2005 championship, reflecting back on the criticism following their 2004 loss to Syracuse in the NCAA semifinal.

"I am so proud of these guys right now," head coach Dave Pietramala said in the post-game press conference. "When we lost a year ago [in the semifinals], people told us that we quit. They just kept working. When we got back to campus, they made a commitment that we were just going to take it one day at a time and we were going to play to the best of our ability. I'm just so proud of these kids, our fans and our administration."

https://pages.jh.edu/~gazette/2005/13ju ... hamps.html

I also know this was discussed in an article during the 2005 season.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Interesting. I can assure everyone that if you were on the field you knew they didn’t quit. I had not heard the accusations before. People
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Interesting. DP doesn’t say they quit. I can assure everyone that if you were on the field you knew they didn’t quit. I had not heard the accusations before. People not knowing.,, A storyline starts and assumes a life if it’s own.

I don’t read this thread much but if it has already been noted I apologize. Dom is reportedly going to UVA. Makes sense we don’t play them,
Last edited by OCanada on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

no one believed in them.
just the guys in that locker room.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

OCanada wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:31 pm Interesting. DP doesn’t say they quit. I can assure everyone that if you were on the field you knew they didn’t quit. I had not heard the accusations before. People not knowing.,, A storyline starts and assumes a life if it’s own.

I don’t read this thread much but if it has already been noted I apologize. Dom is reportedly going to UVA. Makes sense we don’t play them,

He’s a 2022 so who knows? These aren’t the bad old days when kids didn’t get a chance to think things through. I’m sure he’ll have plenty of options.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Might not have the grades.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The VA message Board has him as a VA commit. They are usually on target but I can’t vouch for it

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”