CNN Says 'White Men' are the Biggest Terror Threat in US

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: CNN Says 'White Men' are the Biggest Terror Threat in US

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:35 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:05 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:50 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:36 am
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:18 am Bloomberg would be an extreme long shot at this point within the D primary - his winning NYC coalition includes a lot of Rs that wont have any say in picking the D nominee. In reality, he and any of the other billionaires who are running/toyed with running would be better off pushing Senate races...
That's probably right...however, I suspect that Bloomberg will be funding many a Senate race as well. I'd also bet we'll see a whole lot of ads and funding that take on a series of issues, such as what happened in VA this past cycle with his funding the gun control movement.

Not that my onion maters, but if Mike Bloomberg runs, he has my vote 100x and Sunday. I don't just like Bloomberg, I positively love the guy, in spite of his college choices...

He would beat Trump imo handily. The problem would be what he creates in his wake...I see a Democrat Party permanently fissuring. I don't think he can bridge the divide between the hard Left and the middle Dems. And perhaps that is not a problem so much as a natural evolution of sorts, where the American political landscape becomes trifurcated.
Maybe, but that's the Dems problem. I'm an R.

Seems to me that he's the sort of D or R, I don't care the label, who actually analyzes serious problems, and devises actual solutions that make sense. Experiments and tests hypotheses.

He doesn't believe in spending for spending's sake, however believes government can and should play an important role in shaping outcomes. But do it smartly, efficiently.

So, I think that the actions he would take and promote, particularly if the Senate is either Dem or very close, would be pragmatic and actually accomplish serious movement on areas that progressives care about. Infrastructure. Education. Climate. Guns. Health costs. Poverty. immigration.

On each of these, I think he's sufficiently 'progressive' to be able to win the Dems to action, and some R's because the answers will be pragmatic and moderate by comparison.

Will the progressives be impatient for more, faster? Sure.
Will he face challenge the second time around? Probably...

But will he restore respect and credibility around the world? Yup
Will the economy be well managed? (no President can control, best case is don't screw it up) Yup
Will progress be made on long stuck issues? Yup
And will he attract and hire high quality people? You betcha.

But winning the Dem primary now will be hard.
But if he does, he'll chew Trump up, and that's ultimately a big attraction for the left.

I'm still a Mayor Pete and Amy Klobuchar fan, but if Bloomberg can actually win over the Dems, that's even better.
"Maybe, but that's the Dems problem. I'm an R."

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah and I'm Howard Hughes illegitimate son. :D I know the Republican party is a pretty pathetic group of swines. I think they still have just enough standards to drag a blue blood Rockefeller like you out to the curb and give you a swift kick in the rear end. Then again... probably not... :P . MD I know a bunch of Republicans and for the most part they are all over the place in what they think and believe... you sir are the red haired step child of all of them. Exactly nothing that you post here resembles in any way shape or form what they profess to be Republican dogma. No matter how convoluted their political beliefs they all despise Democrats to the bone.

You seem more than willing to lick that Democrat bone. As long as you get along nicey, nicey with all the FLP folks on here you are fine and dandy. Grow some balls and put your Mr Rogers schtick aside long enough to not be afraid of "offending" the FLP folks here. IMO and you won't like my assessment, your an embarrassment to your own party. You do realize that in 99% of all conversations here you NEVER disagree or admonish any of the FLP folks that you admire so much. I call that being a kiss ass, I guess according to you, that is what your Republican party has devolved into. It is easy to just agree with people to get along. It is a lot harder to actually speak what your heart tells you knowing that you will catch hell for it. Your better at being a kiss ass. That suit fits you much better.
Yup, you're such a model for us all to follow.
Take a chill pill, you'll live longer.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:35 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:05 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:50 am
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:18 am Bloomberg would be an extreme long shot at this point within the D primary - his winning NYC coalition includes a lot of Rs that wont have any say in picking the D nominee. In reality, he and any of the other billionaires who are running/toyed with running would be better off pushing Senate races...
That's probably right...however, I suspect that Bloomberg will be funding many a Senate race as well. I'd also bet we'll see a whole lot of ads and funding that take on a series of issues, such as what happened in VA this past cycle with his funding the gun control movement.

Not that my onion maters, but if Mike Bloomberg runs, he has my vote 100x and Sunday. I don't just like Bloomberg, I positively love the guy, in spite of his college choices...

He would beat Trump imo handily. The problem would be what he creates in his wake...I see a Democrat Party permanently fissuring. I don't think he can bridge the divide between the hard Left and the middle Dems. And perhaps that is not a problem so much as a natural evolution of sorts, where the American political landscape becomes trifurcated.

Seems to me that he's the sort of D or R, I don't care the label, who actually analyzes serious problems, and devises actual solutions that make sense. Experiments and tests hypotheses.

He doesn't believe in spending for spending's sake, however believes government can and should play an important role in shaping outcomes. But do it smartly, efficiently.

So, I think that the actions he would take and promote, particularly if the Senate is either Dem or very close, would be pragmatic and actually accomplish serious movement on areas that progressives care about. Infrastructure. Education. Climate. Guns. Health costs. Poverty. immigration.

On each of these, I think he's sufficiently 'progressive' to be able to win the Dems to action, and some R's because the answers will be pragmatic and moderate by comparison.

Will the progressives be impatient for more, faster? Sure.
Will he face challenge the second time around? Probably...

But will he restore respect and credibility around the world? Yup
Will the economy be well managed? (no President can control, best case is don't screw it up) Yup
Will progress be made on long stuck issues? Yup
And will he attract and hire high quality people? You betcha.

But winning the Dem primary now will be hard.
But if he does, he'll chew Trump up, and that's ultimately a big attraction for the left.

I'm still a Mayor Pete and Amy Klobuchar fan, but if Bloomberg can actually win over the Dems, that's even better.
"Maybe, but that's the Dems problem. I'm an R."

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah and I'm Howard Hughes illegitimate son. :D I know the Republican party is a pretty pathetic group of swines. I think they still have just enough standards to drag a blue blood Rockefeller like you out to the curb and give you a swift kick in the rear end. Then again... probably not... :P . MD I know a bunch of Republicans and for the most part they are all over the place in what they think and believe... you sir are the red haired step child of all of them. Exactly nothing that you post here resembles in any way shape or form what they profess to be Republican dogma. No matter how convoluted their political beliefs they all despise Democrats to the bone.

You seem more than willing to lick that Democrat bone. As long as you get along nicey, nicey with all the FLP folks on here you are fine and dandy. Grow some balls and put your Mr Rogers schtick aside long enough to not be afraid of "offending" the FLP folks here. IMO and you won't like my assessment, your an embarrassment to your own party. You do realize that in 99% of all conversations here you NEVER disagree or admonish any of the FLP folks that you admire so much. I call that being a kiss ass, I guess according to you, that is what your Republican party has devolved into. It is easy to just agree with people to get along. It is a lot harder to actually speak what your heart tells you knowing that you will catch hell for it. Your better at being a kiss ass. That suit fits you much better.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:08 am
The incidents are of course not equivalent in whole, they are similar enough however. You seem to have no problem finding the St. Paul's situation was handled correctly by the school, but have trouble with the Duke case. Part of the reason for the season cancelation in the St. Paul's case was not just the details of the incident, but also the effect on the school and the other students, not part of the team. The team in both cases was responsible for a big fat black eye being meted out to the institution and other members of the institution. The team has a responsibility to the institution. The team did not hold up their end of the bargain with respect to the rest of the institution. Cancelation of the season was just in both cases. Additional sanctions by the institution of specific individuals, "the most guilty" was also warranted.

The fact that after the initial incident some other members of the university did not act responsibly does nothing to lessen the fact that the initial incident caused by the choices of the team negatively impacted the university's reputation and the reputation of those others associated with the university. In the Duke case, Nifong attempting to build his career on the bodies of the Duke players was horribly wrong, but not in control of the university. After the fact, other members of the university brought dishonor to institution as well, but none of this relieves the lacrosse team of its responsibility! This is why their season was canceled by the university. The details of the incident don't really matter.

I'm unable to discuss the Duke incident without becoming emotional; my investment in the outcome is/was too heavy.

So reluctantly, I must bow out of the discussion. if anyone posts about the Duke case again on any thread, someone DM me and tell me to stay away. Muchas gracias.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:01 pm Now, "class traitor"...I doubt many actually think that about him, but, hey, cradle and PB and tech keep telling me awful whack job the 'left' is, so maybe they've been right all along?
Yeah, "class traitor" is a very far-left view, maybe 1 or 2% of all voters. But anti-billionaire views are quite common on the left, whether self-made or not is irrelevant. E.g., recent tweet from Warren: "One billionaire calls another billionaire and asks him to run for president—I'm shocked! Here's the deal: Companies like Amazon have too much power, and billionaires like @JeffBezos and @MikeBloomberg should pitch in so that everyone can succeed."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU77 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:43 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:01 pm Now, "class traitor"...I doubt many actually think that about him, but, hey, cradle and PB and tech keep telling me awful whack job the 'left' is, so maybe they've been right all along?
Yeah, "class traitor" is a very far-left view, maybe 1 or 2% of all voters. But anti-billionaire views are quite common on the left, whether self-made or not is irrelevant. E.g., recent tweet from Warren: "One billionaire calls another billionaire and asks him to run for president—I'm shocked! Here's the deal: Companies like Amazon have too much power, and billionaires like @JeffBezos and @MikeBloomberg should pitch in so that everyone can succeed."
Yeah, but Bloomberg can chew her up on the facts.
$38 Billion in philanthropy so far, "so that everyone can succeed".
... And quite 'self-made'.

Frankly, I think it would be quite interesting to see a guy like him chew her up on this.
Anyone who thinks entrepreneurs like him are the problem with society need a bit of an education on it.

It's not as if Bloomberg isn't in favor of taxing rich folks more...it's the mechanisms to do so that he's going to be credible about explaining.
But he'll definitely take a bunch of incoming for having been so successful, so wealthy...but that is going to turn off the bulk of the Dems who disagree.
Most Dems, like most R's, actually believe in success, particularly entrepreneurial success.

I'm not so sure that Biden will be as effective in that regard, nor Pete or Amy.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:30 am
The incidents are of course not equivalent in whole, they are similar enough however. You seem to have no problem finding the St. Paul's situation was handled correctly by the school, but have trouble with the Duke case. Part of the reason for the season cancelation in the St. Paul's case was not just the details of the incident, but also the effect on the school and the other students, not part of the team. The team in both cases was responsible for a big fat black eye being meted out to the institution and other members of the institution. The team has a responsibility to the institution. The team did not hold up their end of the bargain with respect to the rest of the institution. Cancelation of the season was just in both cases. Additional sanctions by the institution of specific individuals, "the most guilty" was also warranted.

The fact that after the initial incident some other members of the university did not act responsibly does nothing to lessen the fact that the initial incident caused by the choices of the team negatively impacted the university's reputation and the reputation of those others associated with the university. In the Duke case, Nifong attempting to build his career on the bodies of the Duke players was horribly wrong, but not in control of the university. After the fact, other members of the university brought dishonor to institution as well, but none of this relieves the lacrosse team of its responsibility! This is why their season was canceled by the university. The details of the incident don't really matter.

I'm unable to discuss the Duke incident without becoming emotional; my investment in the outcome is/was too heavy.

So reluctantly, I must bow out of the discussion. if anyone posts about the Duke case again on any thread, someone DM me and tell me to stay away. Muchas gracias.
No worries, PB, being loyal to friends is a virtue.
Sleep well.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Fellas, including Cradle, discuss topics, not post-ers. And especially don't attack post-ers. Tweet. play on...
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Frankly, I think it would be quite interesting to see a guy like him chew her up on this.
Anyone who thinks entrepreneurs like him are the problem with society need a bit of an education on it.

It's not as if Bloomberg isn't in favor of taxing rich folks more...it's the mechanisms to do so that he's going to be credible about explaining.
But he'll definitely take a bunch of incoming for having been so successful, so wealthy...but that is going to turn off the bulk of the Dems who disagree.
Most Dems, like most R's, actually believe in success, particularly entrepreneurial success.

I'm not so sure that Biden will be as effective in that regard, nor Pete or Amy.
So long as there are billionaires, Mike Bloomberg is an example of one to be emulated. If Trump is in fact a billionaire he is an example of one not to be emulated.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:20 am

So long as there are billionaires, Mike Bloomberg is an example of one to be emulated. If Trump is in fact a billionaire he is an example of one not to be emulated.
Unless you happen to like salt on your food... Even worse yet, put down that big gulp pilgrim.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Unless you happen to like salt on your food... Even worse yet, put down that big gulp pilgrim.
When we look at our health care costs associated with diabetes and heart disease, metabolic disorders, some cancers, and more, we see that about 50% of all costs are driven by these chronic diseases, particularly with regard to poor nutritional choices. That's right, 50%, according to the CDC, could be prevented through better nutrition, another 20+% through exercise. Huge #'s. Biggest factor in why the US has so much higher healthcare costs than other developed countries (higher drug costs big other factor).

When we also realize that, unlike other countries, we provide big tax subsidies to sugar production (corn especially), we can better understand how we're so out of whack. Add to this that in rat studies sugar withdrawal was worse than cocaine withdrawal, and we have to wonder what the heck we're doing with our public policy incentives. And this is a problem that is worse with less affluent populations, whether urban or rural. It's a killer and a huge drain on the healthcare system of Medicaid and Medicare.

I'm not so sure the big gulp idea was the ideal way to attack the problem, but on a very local basis (instead of federally) there are only a few levers that can be pulled in public policy that could incentivize less rapid and heavy sugar intake. Taxing sugary drinks, limiting sizes, is a way to reduce total sugar intake by a local population. Not eliminate, just incentivize lower, and generate revenues to pay the costs of caring for folks with diabetes etc.

This is actually being done in Mexico now, funded by Bloomberg, with very good results.

IMO, the smarter federal way is to tax, not subsidize, sugar production, especially refined sugars and to instead subsidize fresh produce and healthy food access. Way better bang for the buck of federal intervention, and without denying freedom of choice altogether.

This is what I mean by a smarter 'conservative' approach to public policy.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:14 pm

When we look at our health care costs associated with diabetes and heart disease, metabolic disorders, some cancers, and more, we see that about 50% of all costs are driven by these chronic diseases, particularly with regard to poor nutritional choices. That's right, 50%, according to the CDC, could be prevented through better nutrition, another 20+% through exercise. Huge #'s. Biggest factor in why the US has so much higher healthcare costs than other developed countries (higher drug costs big other factor).

When we also realize that, unlike other countries, we provide big tax subsidies to sugar production (corn especially), we can better understand how we're so out of whack. Add to this that in rat studies sugar withdrawal was worse than cocaine withdrawal, and we have to wonder what the heck we're doing with our public policy incentives. And this is a problem that is worse with less affluent populations, whether urban or rural. It's a killer and a huge drain on the healthcare system of Medicaid and Medicare.

I'm not so sure the big gulp idea was the ideal way to attack the problem, but on a very local basis (instead of federally) there are only a few levers that can be pulled in public policy that could incentivize less rapid and heavy sugar intake. Taxing sugary drinks, limiting sizes, is a way to reduce total sugar intake by a local population. Not eliminate, just incentivize lower, and generate revenues to pay the costs of caring for folks with diabetes etc.

This is actually being done in Mexico now, funded by Bloomberg, with very good results.

IMO, the smarter federal way is to tax, not subsidize, sugar production, especially refined sugars and to instead subsidize fresh produce and healthy food access. Way better bang for the buck of federal intervention, and without denying freedom of choice altogether.

All good intentions but you are taking away an individuals right to do with their body what they will. Educating folks about nutrition and making good choices is all well and good. My simple rule of thumb has always been all things in moderation. I love cheeseburgers and I will have them maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I don't drink sugary drinks and I work in that business. My biggest weakness is the apple fritters at my favorite donut place. I usually have one every Friday on the way to work. I won't even mention my all time favorite food... pizza with pepperoni. I would eat it every night if I could get away with it. We order a pie probably once or twice a month.

My niece who is a health fanatic has her own weakness, multiple scoops of the highest butterfat content ice cream she can find. When the government starts mandating we do something out of good intentions, it just does not go over well with most people. How many moms have lectured their kids to no end to eat your broccoli, it's good for you. Then they dress it up with melted cheddar cheese. IMO this should start in school with Home Economics courses and with health courses. You can't use information you never learned. Trying to learn it after you graduate probably does not work that well for most people. If you feed your kids a healthy diet from jumpstart they will maintain a healthy diet for their entire life. When you learn the concept of all things in moderation that concept sticks with you forever. I would love to eat 2 apple fritters on Fridays. I buy one and often split that with a person I work with.

I am off today for Veterans Day and am going to a local hamburger establishment for my free veterans cheeseburger with fries. I might even sprinkle a little extra salt on the fries... how bad of me.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:51 am I am off today for Veterans Day and am going to a local hamburger establishment for my free veterans cheeseburger with fries. I might even sprinkle a little extra salt on the fries... how bad of me.

Go to Chick-fil A; free sandwiches to Vets today! Plus some on this board probably don't love the Cathy's too much.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:00 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:30 am

No worries, PB, being loyal to friends is a virtue.
Sleep well.
… depending on who the friends are.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:58 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:51 am I am off today for Veterans Day and am going to a local hamburger establishment for my free veterans cheeseburger with fries. I might even sprinkle a little extra salt on the fries... how bad of me.

Go to Chick-fil A; free sandwiches to Vets today! Plus some on this board probably don't love the Cathy's too much.
Making the rounds... :D
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:51 am

All good intentions but you are taking away an individuals right to do with their body what they will. Educating folks about nutrition and making good choices is all well and good. My simple rule of thumb has always been all things in moderation. I love cheeseburgers and I will have them maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I don't drink sugary drinks and I work in that business. My biggest weakness is the apple fritters at my favorite donut place. I usually have one every Friday on the way to work. I won't even mention my all time favorite food... pizza with pepperoni. I would eat it every night if I could get away with it. We order a pie probably once or twice a month.

My niece who is a health fanatic has her own weakness, multiple scoops of the highest butterfat content ice cream she can find. When the government starts mandating we do something out of good intentions, it just does not go over well with most people. How many moms have lectured their kids to no end to eat your broccoli, it's good for you. Then they dress it up with melted cheddar cheese. IMO this should start in school with Home Economics courses and with health courses. You can't use information you never learned. Trying to learn it after you graduate probably does not work that well for most people. If you feed your kids a healthy diet from jumpstart they will maintain a healthy diet for their entire life. When you learn the concept of all things in moderation that concept sticks with you forever. I would love to eat 2 apple fritters on Fridays. I buy one and often split that with a person I work with.

I am off today for Veterans Day and am going to a local hamburger establishment for my free veterans cheeseburger with fries. I might even sprinkle a little extra salt on the fries... how bad of me.
I agree with most of what you say above, cradle, but this statement you led off with quite misrepresents everything I wrote.

"All good intentions but you are taking away an individuals right to do with their body what they will."

Nothing I wrote, nor anything Bloomberg has proposed (or accomplished in the Mexico experiment) takes away folks "right to do with their body what they will". Folks are free to make bad choices, indeed they can be expected to do so. They're human. And free.

Tilting financial incentives towards less poor choices and more towards good choices allows folks to continue to make bad choices, they just pay more than if they make better choices. People who make lots of bad choices cost society a whole lot more in health costs, lost productivity, etc, so it's quite fair that they contribute along the way...and perhaps they'll make some better choices...but that's up to them.

On the cup sizes, consumers can drink all the sugary soda they wish, instead of 64 oz all at once, they need to buy multiple smaller cups. But they are free to do so.

And you are certainly free to keep enjoying your apple fritters!
Sound good to me. :)
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:43 pm

My niece who is a health fanatic has her own weakness, multiple scoops of the highest butterfat content ice cream she can find. When the government starts mandating we do something out of good intentions, it just does not go over well with most people. How many moms have lectured their kids to no end to eat your broccoli, it's good for you. Then they dress it up with melted cheddar cheese. IMO this should start in school with Home Economics courses and wnith health courses. You can't use information you never learned. Trying to learn it after you graduate probably does not work that well for most people. If you feed your kids a healthy diet from jumpstart they will maintain a healthy diet for their entire life. When you learn the concept of all things in moderation that concept sticks with you forever. I would love to eat 2 apple fritters on Fridays. I buy one and often split that with a person I work with.

I agree with most of what you say above, cradle, but this statement you led off with quite misrepresents everything I wrote.

"All good intentions but you are taking away an individuals right to do with their body what they will."

Nothing I wrote, nor anything Bloomberg has proposed (or accomplished in the Mexico experiment) takes away folks "right to do with their body what they will". Folks are free to make bad choices, indeed they can be expected to do so. They're human. And free.

Tilting financial incentives towards less poor choices and more towards good choices allows folks to continue to make bad choices, they just pay more than if they make better choices. People who make lots of bad choices cost society a whole lot more in health costs, lost productivity, etc, so it's quite fair that they contribute along the way...and perhaps they'll make some better choices...but that's up to them.

On the cup sizes, consumers can drink all the sugary soda they wish, instead of 64 oz all at once, they need to buy multiple smaller cups. But they are free to do so.

Is not imposing a tax on some form of behavior another way of attempting to control a person's behavior. I know that is what NYS has done with cigarettes to dissuade people from smoking. Another point is that more restaurants than ever have gone to unlimited refills. You purchase a cup and you can fill it with whatever beverage is on the machine. You can quaff as much coca cola as you like or ice tea, lemonade. If you are using a Coke Freestyle machine you have over 100 choices. Half of those flavors being sugar free and even flavored sparkling water. Is it fair to tax someone because they might choose a Dr Pepper over sugar free cherry lemonade? What it winds up being is a tax on an empty cup.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:58 pm

My niece who is a health fanatic has her own weakness, multiple scoops of the highest butterfat content ice cream she can find. When the government starts mandating we do something out of good intentions, it just does not go over well with most people. How many moms have lectured their kids to no end to eat your broccoli, it's good for you. Then they dress it up with melted cheddar cheese. IMO this should start in school with Home Economics courses and wnith health courses. You can't use information you never learned. Trying to learn it after you graduate probably does not work that well for most people. If you feed your kids a healthy diet from jumpstart they will maintain a healthy diet for their entire life. When you learn the concept of all things in moderation that concept sticks with you forever. I would love to eat 2 apple fritters on Fridays. I buy one and often split that with a person I work with.

Is not imposing a tax on some form of behavior another way of attempting to control a person's behavior. I know that is what NYS has done with cigarettes to dissuade people from smoking. Another point is that more restaurants than ever have gone to unlimited refills. You purchase a cup and you can fill it with whatever beverage is on the machine. You can quaff as much coca cola as you like or ice tea, lemonade. If you are using a Coke Freestyle machine you have over 100 choices. Half of those flavors being sugar free and even flavored sparkling water. Is it fair to tax someone because they might choose a Dr Pepper over sugar free cherry lemonade? What it winds up being is a tax on an empty cup.
I thought explaining this would be easier.

"control a person's behavior"?

Can you buy and smoke cigarettes in NYS?
If yes, that's up to you (as an adult), then the answer as to "control" is no, you are not 'controlled'.
Influenced, yes, perhaps.

And if you do choose to buy those cigs, the tax goes into the coffers to pay for your later cancer treatments and those of others making this choice.
Not everyone develops smoking related cancer, but sure is a much higher incidence.

Sugar is much the same. Over time, for many it causes chronic disease and ultimately death.
So, taxing sugar makes sense.

Conversely, instead of subsidizing sugar, subsidizing nutritionally dense foods instead, is a great way to help those foods be less expensive and more available to lower income populations. Makes a ton of sense. But no one gets 'forced' or 'controlled' into eating smarter, healthier.

The soda cup sizes is an interesting way to target the most intense, most rapid sugar intake delivery system, sugar sweetened beverages. One sugary big gulp is all the calories most folks should have for an entire dinner. But folks who drink this poison are addicted to it, so one big gulp is definitely not the pattern...and we see the results at most any 7-11...just watch the folks who come in, push the Dr. Pepper of Coke button, or the Slurpee, vs those who come in, get a bottle of water etc...radically different.

Again, you and I as taxpayers are paying for this addiction.
Do you really want to subsidize sugar?
Encourage the most rapid, drug delivery system?
Or do you want to discourage it?

As a conservative, I want my tax dollars to be used in as optimally efficient way as possible to do the most good.
I don't expect perfection, not from people nor from government, but I'm all in favor of using our noggins to encourage the outcomes we want.

But folks are free to choose and use their poisons.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

i think you're both right (CU77 too)- not sure of the draw outside certain places.

can he get the independents/undecideds in the swing states? fracking vote in PA? working class in ohio? farmers in wisconsin? evangs in the deep south? women who want to vote for their gender only? unions in the rust belt? etc.

$52b can help, but might not do it...

then again- if he somehow gets the DNC nod (possible), some diehard donkeys will vote blue anyway. is it enough?

would be interesting to see a NYer run against a NYer... how close are their offices? :lol: :mrgreen:
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:36 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:58 pm

I thought explaining this would be easier.

"control a person's behavior"?

Can you buy and smoke cigarettes in NYS?
If yes, that's up to you (as an adult), then the answer as to "control" is no, you are not 'controlled'.
Influenced, yes, perhaps.

And if you do choose to buy those cigs, the tax goes into the coffers to pay for your later cancer treatments and those of others making this choice.
Not everyone develops smoking related cancer, but sure is a much higher incidence.

Sugar is much the same. Over time, for many it causes chronic disease and ultimately death.
So, taxing sugar makes sense.

Conversely, instead of subsidizing sugar, subsidizing nutritionally dense foods instead, is a great way to help those foods be less expensive and more available to lower income populations. Makes a ton of sense. But no one gets 'forced' or 'controlled' into eating smarter, healthier.

The soda cup sizes is an interesting way to target the most intense, most rapid sugar intake delivery system, sugar sweetened beverages. One sugary big gulp is all the calories most folks should have for an entire dinner. But folks who drink this poison are addicted to it, so one big gulp is definitely not the pattern...and we see the results at most any 7-11...just watch the folks who come in, push the Dr. Pepper of Coke button, or the Slurpee, vs those who come in, get a bottle of water etc...radically different.

Again, you and I as taxpayers are paying for this addiction.
Do you really want to subsidize sugar?
Encourage the most rapid, drug delivery system?
Or do you want to discourage it?

As a conservative, I want my tax dollars to be used in as optimally efficient way as possible to do the most good.
I don't expect perfection, not from people nor from government, but I'm all in favor of using our noggins to encourage the outcomes we want.

But folks are free to choose and use their poisons.
To carry this forward then we have to tax all food that is bad for you. Triple scoop of Vanilla ice cream is gonna have to cost you more. Double decker cheeseburger with fries and a shake is gonna cost you more. That fried chicken dinner with mac and cheese, gonna cost you. We can't forget that large pizza supreme. Is there a food that is bad for us that should not be taxed? I could go on and on about all kinds of food that not eaten in moderation will cause you issues down the road, at least some folks tell us that.

There was a twofold reason for the big tax increase on NYS cigs. Reason one was to help defray the cost of medical expenses. The second reason was a belief that expensive cigs would persuade many people to quit. Now the vaping craze takes over as a "safer" alternative and that is not working very well either. A former neighbor of mine and heavy smoker tried a cheaper alternative. He found he could buy bulk cig tobacco at a local smoke shop that was cheap and not taxed much at all. He started rolling his own and puffing his life away. He died a couple years back of heart disease. He finally quit smoking about a year before he died. We all have bad habits we should keep in check. Some of those habits will kill you a lot quicker than others.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

i've been glued to LP/FL for nearly 20 years. how long do i have?
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.

Return to “POLITICS”