Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
frmanfan

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by frmanfan »

DMac wrote:Yup, all of the choices of poisons come with risks and I'd bet alcohol comes with higher risks than marijuana but we're (collectively) willing to accept those risks. Pot's really no different. I actually think as time goes on fewer and fewer people will be smoking pot. The edibles are becoming a bigger and bigger part of sales and the THC oils being vaped (not smoking any leaves/buds) are even bigger. People are switching to the oils in big numbers, no fire needed, no odor, much more convenient. Smoking pot will be real old school in the not too distant future.
Have to admit that eating it would make the most sense, you get high and solve the muchies issue all in one swoop. ;)
A cold beer and a warm woman is all I need to keep me happy. Sometimes a cold beer is enough...
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

frmanfan wrote:DMac, you do get it, you hit the nail right on the head. Our Guvs sue the tobacco makers because inhaling tobacco smoke is costing huge bucks for medical care. Now they are encouraging people to inhale marijuana fumes into their lungs, which will eventually cause huge bucks for medical care. Sure you can eat it, but once it is legal I bet there will be plenty of inhalers.
Breathing In the Smoke
Marijuana smoke is also filled with many of the same chemicals as tobacco smoke, including ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, and formaldehyde. Some of these chemicals are known to cause cancer. Most users smoke pot in a joint or water pipe, so they breathe the smoke straight into their lungs.
There's no proof that smoking marijuana causes lung cancer like cigarettes do. But people who smoke pot do show signs of damage and precancerous changes in their lungs, especially if they also smoke cigarettes. And a study published in 2013 in Cancer Causes & Control found that heavy marijuana smoking might raise the risk of lung cancer.
Pot smoking leads to other lung effects, too. "We know that patients see their doctor with more symptoms, including cough and wheezing, when they're marijuana smokers," Tetrault says.
https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/f ... safe-web#2

This is without even taking into account the increase in obesity due to the increased population with the munchies! :D

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/20/health/w ... index.html
Not the same scene passing around a bowl of gummie bears. And some of us kind of like the smell of the burning buds. Don't think yankee candle has come up with that scent yet. I do have some tobacco candles though. Got an uncle who is almost 80 and doesn't do squat with his life. What's the point of living if just to stay alive? Isn't that why we all cried at the end of Brians Song. "....and boy, how he lived". sniff sniff
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
frmanfan

Post by frmanfan »

russ, now it is my turn to be confused. I miss your point on your uncle. Did he do too many drugs in his youth and now can't do anything? Or too few drugs? Or is he obese and can't move? Or maybe he is quadriplegic? This point sailed right over the top of my noggin.
A cold beer and a warm woman is all I need to keep me happy. Sometimes a cold beer is enough...
a fan

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote:Yup, all of the choices of poisons come with risks and I'd bet alcohol comes with higher risks than marijuana but we're (collectively) willing to accept those risks.
I'd agree with that.

The big difference between pot and alcohol is...I can have single beer, wine, or whiskey with dinner.....enjoy it, and not get inebriated.

No one is consuming pot for the flavor. Although, yep, the flavor can be pleasant (Marijuana is a close cousin to hops, so many tasty shared chemicals like myrcene).
frmanfan

Post by frmanfan »

It is interesting to note, that while the Canadian pols pushed this through (follow the money!) the Canadian medical community is not a big fan.

http://www.cmaj.ca/content/190/41/E1218
Predictably, given the federal government’s stated commitment to pushing this legislation through, investment in cannabis firms has risen substantially over the past year in anticipation, and new producers, large and small, have been popping up across the country. Their goal is profit, and profit comes from sales — sales of a drug that, according to Health Canada, will cause a problem in nearly 1 in 3 adult users and an addiction in close to 1 in 10, with higher risks in youth.

But fundamentally, the federal government needs to take responsibility for the consequences of this controversial legislation. To that end, it must provide adequate funding for robust monitoring of cannabis use among all segments of society, especially among youth and other populations at particular risk. The anticipated windfall of tax revenue should fund research on harms related to use, as there are many unanswered questions about the short- and long-term implications of cannabis use.3 And finally, if use of cannabis increases, the federal government should have the courage to admit the legislation is flawed and amend the act.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DMac wrote:Yup, all of the choices of poisons come with risks and I'd bet alcohol comes with higher risks than marijuana but we're (collectively) willing to accept those risks. Pot's really no different. I actually think as time goes on fewer and fewer people will be smoking pot. The edibles are becoming a bigger and bigger part of sales and the THC oils being vaped (not smoking any leaves/buds) are even bigger. People are switching to the oils in big numbers, no fire needed, no odor, much more convenient. Smoking pot will be real old school in the not too distant future.

There is also another distinction. Like it or not, people in the US at least are better informed, or have the opportunity to be, about health risks. FDA forced and enforced labeling requirements are much more strict. You won't see the lawsuits against pot manufacturers the way you did with tobacco. Claiming you as an individual didn't know the risks is much more difficult to make stick. You also have the case that the tobacco industry knew the dangers, well before hand, and their advertising and labeling didn't reflect their knowledge and in fact denied for years what they knew was true. The situation today with pot is much clearer from a legal perspective regarding health risks. It would be even more clear if the guardians of our morals had not successfully limited our ability to even research the effects of pot. That has changed and the most recent medical and health knowledge should keep up with the consumption.

Some regulation is a good thing!
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DMac

Post by DMac »

a fan wrote:
DMac wrote:Yup, all of the choices of poisons come with risks and I'd bet alcohol comes with higher risks than marijuana but we're (collectively) willing to accept those risks.
I'd agree with that.

The big difference between pot and alcohol is...I can have single beer, wine, or whiskey with dinner.....enjoy it, and not get inebriated.

No one is consuming pot for the flavor. Although, yep, the flavor can be pleasant (Marijuana is a close cousin to hops, so many tasty shared chemicals like myrcene).
I understand what you're saying here, but what is the definition of inebriated?
Not underplaying anything about pot here, but most pot smokers can take a hit (they might want to do that before dinner) and enjoy the dinner while other people at the table wouldn't recognize that they had taken a hit at all.
frmanfan wrote:It is interesting to note, that while the Canadian pols pushed this through (follow the money!) the Canadian medical community is not a big fan.

http://www.cmaj.ca/content/190/41/E1218
Predictably, given the federal government’s stated commitment to pushing this legislation through, investment in cannabis firms has risen substantially over the past year in anticipation, and new producers, large and small, have been popping up across the country. Their goal is profit, and profit comes from sales — sales of a drug that, according to Health Canada, will cause a problem in nearly 1 in 3 adult users and an addiction in close to 1 in 10, with higher risks in youth.
This sounds to me as if marijuana legalization is going to change something and I don't believe it will/does. There has been an abundance of marijuana on the market for decades and decades. The reason for the concerns doesn't change, but regulation (agree, 72, some regulation is a good thing) should help with control and age limits. Twelve year olds will have a harder time (eventually) buying pot when it's legal than now and that's a good thing. I wouldn't expect the medical community to say anything much different than they have about marijuana, and they probably don't have much good to say about alcohol either...but hey, that's their job.
a fan

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote:I understand what you're saying here, but what is the definition of inebriated?
:lol: Yeah, I got on a slippery slope here, didn't I? How about "feel the effect of the THC"....inebriated was a bad choice of words.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

come on dmac. if these 12 year olds are half as inventive as my friends were growing up they will be growing the stuff in mom and dads back yard. The only possible give away would be junior suddenly willing to mow the grass and do all the landscaping. Mom and dad will be so proud of their little tyke nurturing his own garden. headbang1
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

They really don't have a need to grow their own, they can clip some from Mom and Dad's plants. Kinda like sneaking a shot or two out of the old man's bottle of Jack, or just snagging a few beers. I'm surprised by the amount individuals are allowed to grow, seems like enough to run a small corner store to me, but hey, it's all good I guess.
Kinduv

Post by Kinduv »

Bandit0 is smart, y0u pe0p!e are dumb, yu hate trump because yu dn't want america t be great again,
Any great warrior is also a scholar, and a poet, and an artist.
-STEVEN SEAGAL
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

cradleandshoot wrote:come on dmac. if these 12 year olds are half as inventive as my friends were growing up they will be growing the stuff in mom and dads back yard. The only possible give away would be junior suddenly willing to mow the grass and do all the landscaping. Mom and dad will be so proud of their little tyke nurturing his own garden. headbang1
Gardening and landscaping? Doesn't this stuff grow like.... well... weeds? 8-)
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I still think you have to weed the weed... :lol:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Legalization is actually much bigger than stoners being able to catch a buzz legally. From a personal consumption point of view, I've never really cared whether pot was, or ever became, legal or not, it just never has, and never will, affect availability.
I'm not so sure that the catching a buzz part plays a big role in the whole illegality picture either. Hemp is an incredibly versatile plant and was/is a threat to many businesses which was eliminated by the stroke of a pen. Very convenient. There are a ton of videos you can watch out there if you're at all interested in what hemp can be (and was before it became illegal) used for. Clothing (hemp clothing is really nice and comfortable), insulation (much safer than fiberglass), automobile panels (lighter), foods, oils, medicines, and plenty more. For this plant to be illegal is just idiotic, and the worries about everybody being stoned with legalization are pretty much unwarranted. The plant has been around since the cave man and has been readily available for those who choose to use it since pretty much forever, so if availability were going to turn the world into a population of incapacitated stoners I think it would have happened centuries ago. We'll be okay with legalization...and we'll collect a bunch of taxes on it too.
A brief clip, and just the tip of the ice burg, on the versatility of this plant...the devil's weed, ya know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrbNrR9cVWE

Who knows, it might even help one of our favorite posters to expand his line of products.
http://www.thecannifornian.com/cannabis ... ederal-ok/
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

Leftist Antifa Fascists: The bullying arm of the Democrat Party were recently seen mocking and attacking a 9/11 widow. This is what the Democrat Party is and always have been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgOllexKjoU

When confronted: He runs away like a little POS that he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNXspBOAbFE
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Bandito wrote:Leftist Antifa Fascists: The bullying arm of the Democrat Party were recently seen mocking and attacking a 9/11 widow. This is what the Democrat Party is and always have been.

Buenos dias Manuelito! It is hard to tell the real bad guys from the fake bad guys!

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Progressive answer to Trumpist delusionalism:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Kinduv Ajerk wrote:Bandit0 is smart, y0u pe0p!e are dumb, yu hate trump because yu dn't want america t be great again,
Well, well, look what the cat dragged in. :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bandito wrote:Leftist Antifa Fascists: The bullying arm of the Democrat Party were recently seen mocking and attacking a 9/11 widow. This is what the Democrat Party is and always have been.

This has nothing to do with D or R and everything to do with a loud mouth, obnoxious, chicken liver, little punk who doesn't know how to act and deserves to be knocked on his ass. Am surprised you find him to be offensive as his behavior there is much like yours here. Just sayin'.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:

Buenos dias Manuelito! It is hard to tell the real bad guys from the fake bad guys!

That was my first thought as well. It looked a little "staged" when I first saw the video yesterday. We know that there have been some false flag operations conducted at ANTIFA rallies / protests.

My other thought is where was Fritoman and his friends when Ann Coulter slimed all 911 windows when she said "I Have Never Seen People Enjoying their Husbands’ Death So Much"? I suspect the answer is, they just ran out and bought her latest book. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”