Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
steel_hop

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by steel_hop »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:17 am It may be about the players he has and what he thinks their capabilities are. The point about the world games is well taken because he had great defensive players then. But If he doesn’t feel the risk-reward is worth it he’s got to adapt his system to his players abilities and skill sets. The loss of Foley probably means less takeaways next year. If he can get good goal tending and decent ssdm play my guess is he stays passive and waits for a bad shot or shot clock violation.
Even when he had really good athletic Dmen and SSDM, he played a very passive style. I doubt we see him change now.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:17 am It may be about the players he has and what he thinks their capabilities are. The point about the world games is well taken because he had great defensive players then. But If he doesn’t feel the risk-reward is worth it he’s got to adapt his system to his players abilities and skill sets. The loss of Foley probably means less takeaways next year. If he can get good goal tending and decent ssdm play my guess is he stays passive and waits for a bad shot or shot clock violation.
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46473/if---
Last edited by 44WeWantMore on Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Looky here ... whatta I say about postin’ fancy words an’ learnin’ stuff on this here forum?!?

Take that poetin’ where it belongs ... to a fencin’ or sailin’ forum.

Now gett ... we don’ need your kind around here.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

44WeWantMore wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:34 am
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46473/if---
Simple translation: if you can be perfect you're a pretty good guy!!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/07/us/p ... -2020.html

If Bloomy becomes president, can he make a law that other teams must stop beating Hopkins men's lacrosse? Make it illegal. He's got my vote if so.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:43 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/07/us/p ... -2020.html

If Bloomy becomes president, can he make a law that other teams must stop beating Hopkins men's lacrosse? Make it illegal. He's got my vote if so.
Despite his generosity to his alma mater, he is an old, conservative New Yorker. Sound familiar?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Am I to understand the USA did not win the worlds was because DP was coaching the D? Horse pucky. The winner was a better team.

I recall when Canada won the world title when Huntley was coaching, as I recall, Huntley said Canada would win the tithe because the USA’s offense were pu****s.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:38 pm Am I to understand the USA did not win the worlds was because DP was coaching the D? Horse pucky. The winner was a better team.

I recall when Canada won the world title when Huntley was coaching, as I recall, Huntley said Canada would win the tithe because the USA’s offense were pu****s.
Take a look at the 2006 Hopkins-Maryland game. Then take a look at the World Championship game where Petro was the defensive coordinator. Both Maryland and Canada chewed up time on offense, knowing that Petro’s D wasn’t going to come out and pressure them. That allowed them to dominate possession time, with the benefit of keeping the ball away from the Hopkins/Team USA offense.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Chambers, who was sidelined for fall ball, is now no longer on the roster online.

Just loving the communication from the team this fall. Absolute radio silence. A few pictures from a networking trip to DC and that's it. No videos, no emails, no interviews, no information, no previews, no reviews, no updates, no nothing. Great way to grow the brand and keep fans engaged!
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Take a look at the teams. The better team won. Frankly you are drawing a conclusion driven by your well established bias. You don’t know how the game would have played out if anything was changed.

You have a long history of slamming players who are injured for not living up to their potential. You slam coaches. I don’t believe we have had a dman since Durkin who I would be willing to put on an island. I don’t believe we have had the overall talent in goal and on defense to play a gambling defense but if you do please make the case.

Very few teams, if any, play an aggressive all out pressing defense; anymore than than play run and gun. GT tried it fir a few years and got toasted by better teams.

Huntley gave the reason he predicted the win. The fault would seem to lie at the other end of the field. Better teams win games most of the time. It is team sport. If you want to beat the best teams you need the best athletes/ players
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

Drcthru wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:29 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:43 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/07/us/p ... -2020.html

Despite his generosity to his alma mater, he is an old, conservative New Yorker. Sound familiar?
Like him or not, Bloomy is most certainly not conservative. Not judging his politics one way or the other, just making a statement. As for "an old, conservative New Yorker", doesn't sound the least familiar.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:21 pm Chambers, who was sidelined for fall ball, is now no longer on the roster online.

Just loving the communication from the team this fall. Absolute radio silence. A few pictures from a networking trip to DC and that's it. No videos, no emails, no interviews, no information, no previews, no reviews, no updates, no nothing. Great way to grow the brand and keep fans engaged!
No contract extension probably means the staff are doing the minimum required by their contract.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:24 am Take a look at the teams. The better team won. Frankly you are drawing a conclusion driven by your well established bias. You don’t know how the game would have played out if anything was changed.

You have a long history of slamming players who are injured for not living up to their potential. You slam coaches. I don’t believe we have had a dman since Durkin who I would be willing to put on an island. I don’t believe we have had the overall talent in goal and on defense to play a gambling defense but if you do please make the case.

Very few teams, if any, play an aggressive all out pressing defense; anymore than than play run and gun. GT tried it fir a few years and got toasted by better teams.

Huntley gave the reason he predicted the win. The fault would seem to lie at the other end of the field. Better teams win games most of the time. It is team sport. If you want to beat the best teams you need the best athletes/ players
Team USA won their first game against Canada. That game was played straight up (no stall ball). So you can argue, based on your own reasoning, that Team USA was the better team.

In the championship game, Canada switched gears and played classic stall ball. That’s ok if your team plays aggressive defense to get the ball back. Devastating if your team plays a passive style of D.

Oh, and isn’t stall ball the classic style played by a less talented team?

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

NOVALax2015 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:42 am

Like him or not, Bloomy is most certainly not conservative. Not judging his politics one way or the other, just making a statement. As for "an old, conservative New Yorker", doesn't sound the least familiar.
He *is* conservative for a Manhattan Democrat, and I expect the media will lump him in with the moderates in the Democratic Primaries. But, of course, all this is off-topic. What matters is that we don't want him spending his money on anything except for Hopkins.

Not that our preference should rule, of course.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:43 am
NOVALax2015 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:42 am

He *is* conservative for a Manhattan Democrat, and I expect the media will lump him in with the moderates in the Democratic Primaries. But, of course, all this is off-topic. What matters is that we don't want him spending his money on anything except for Hopkins.

Not that our preference should rule, of course.
Hahaha. Can't argue with any of that!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:02 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:21 pm Chambers, who was sidelined for fall ball, is now no longer on the roster online.

No contract extension probably means the staff are doing the minimum required by their contract.
Is anything really different this year from past? The biggest difference I have seen is that there was a greater variety of posters on Laxpower that would provide comments on scrimmages etc. and HOB's videos are gone. Went back and looked at Hopkins All Access - there was a tiny snippet about the alumni game last year and a thing about the '18 networking trip. Nothing terribly different. IL hasn't run their All Access piece of Hop - maybe DP didn't permit this year - I don't know. Hopkins NEVER comments on injuries, academic or other player specific issues - so good spying to uncover Chambers is not on the roster but there was never going to be any communication about that - regardless of what happened.

Wholeheatedly agree they could do more to engage the fan-base/students etc. - and currently they don't do much of anything - but this has been a pretty consistent issue and should be a focus of the Lacrosse DOO and the AD
Chuckman

Post by Chuckman »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:32 am
Even when he had really good athletic Dmen and SSDM, he played a very passive style. I doubt we see him change now.
Short of being in the semi-final or final ( even that may not be enough ) this will be last year DP is in charge of the defense here at Homewood.
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

In previous years we had HOB's great highlight to watch and discuss. This year not allowed. That has curtailed quite a bit of discussion in my opinion.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

“Lacrosse DOO”

That right there is a perfect two word description of everything in the Cordish Center right now.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:26 pm “Lacrosse DOO”

That right there is a perfect two word description of everything in the Cordish Center right now.
nice Wombat. I guess technically O'Branski is the DLO or the DOLO. I have zero idea what he does other than what the bio says. "Involved with operational aspects of both programs" Hmm - vague to say the least. Sounds like he is also the summer camp guy and managing the social media platforms. OK - on the last point I would have to say he is below plan (I guess that depends on what objectives his bosses give him).

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”