Sexual Assault ~ Weinstein, Epstein, etc.

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Sexual Assault ~ #MeToo ~ #TimesUp for Epstein's friends

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:33 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:13 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:05 am
Bandito wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:37 pm Your daily reminder that we now live in a country where the MSM will provide cover for you (If you’re a Democrat) if you abuse women and children BUT hunt you down and try to destroy your life if you support the President.

Epstein and Weinstein are two good examples of this (Ralph Northam comes in a close 3rd here).

The attack on Kavanaugh was a disgrace, and anyone who has any interest in fairness would admit such. Every single instance of someone saying he did this or that has been thoroughly disproven and yet some still cling to the hope that a photo exists somewhere.... And again for posterity, I hate the guy's politics; he was done dirty by the DNC.

Ironically, he isn't nearly as 'conservative' as many on the Left feared; I'm surprised MDLax dislikes the guy; their politics are identical. Here is a great article by a very good author, Jane Coaston, to help explain this:

https://www.vox.com/2019/9/16/20868501/ ... icism-idea
Please don't say who I "like" or don't "like". I would not have voted for him for the SCOTUS position due to what I perceived as his weaseling under oath and his demeanor under pressure. But I bet he's typically a swell guy, good dad, etc and we'd get along just fine. He's more socially conservative than I am, and appears to be more partisan than I'd be comfortable with for a judge, but I'd be happy to have a beer with him, talk family, etc.

BTW, best I recall Northam didn't 'abuse' any women. And the 'media' ripped him hard.
Seems to me that ripped Weinstein and Epstein really hard, deservedly...indeed that's how we actually know about these disgusting guys.

Now, it'd be fair to say that a whole lot of powerful folks, business associates, and 'friends' looked the other way, made excuses, etc...but blaming the media...who uncovered this stuff, believed the victims stories needed to be told?

Media went after Bill Clinton hard too...both during his original campaign, then Monica scandal.
Remember Gary Hart?

Should the culture have taken this stuff more seriously? You betcha...but blaming the media?

Every single instance I wrote about was uncovered by the feared right wing media of Bretitbart, RedState, The Federalist, etc... Only after the noise got too much, our national media was dragged into these stories kicking and screaming. You know that, MDlax...I respect you enough to know you know the deal. The media pendulum swings one way only excepting Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson. No need to debate that point; we all know the truth (and I have a theory on it which has to do with who ends up at J-schools in universities, but that is a story for another day).

Compare those three cases to the Kavanaugh case. Example: Avenatti somehow finds a complete lunatic (Julie Swetnik) who alleges a situation which on its face was as absurd as UVA's 10 fraternity brothers raping a coed on broken glass. What did the media do? They had Avenatti on endlessly to discuss his client's allegations. It took them all of 5 minutes to book Avenatti for 24 hour interview cycles that lasted days. No fact checking, just repeating the stpry.

And what do people remember about Julie Swetnik? Only that she alleged she witnessed a 'gang rape' by Kavanaugh. No one knows she recanted. Jiminy Christmas.

:roll:
Man, PB, one of the more revealing of your posts.
Help me out on this, which media outed Bill Clinton or Gary Hart...Sean and Tucker???
Everyone else in the 'media' swing the other way???
Apparently that goes for the hard news folks at Fox (only a few actual journalists left).

Keep drinking from the right wing propaganda fire hose, PB.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:06 am Man, PB, one of the more revealing of your posts.
Help me out on this, which media outed Bill Clinton or Gary Hart...Sean and Tucker???
Apparently that goes for the hard news folks at Fox (only a few actual journalists left).

Clear this up for the Board: who uncovered the 'bulge' photo (5-27-11) then the 'shirtless' photo (6-1-11) of Anthony Weiner that led to his downfall? I'll wait.

And I'll help you with this one: Drudge broke the Clinton scandal. Also, Newsweek knew about the Lewinsky/Clinton scandal first, but did not publish.

Media bias is very real; you can ignore it all you want, it;'s a free country, but to deny it is to deny gravity.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:10 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:06 am Man, PB, one of the more revealing of your posts.

Clear this up for the Board: who uncovered the 'bulge' photo (5-27-11) then the 'shirtless' photo (6-1-11) of Anthony Weiner that led to his downfall? I'll wait.

And I'll help you with this one: Drudge broke the Clinton scandal. Also, Newsweek knew about the Lewinsky/Clinton scandal first, but did not publish.

Media bias is very real; you can ignore it all you want, it;'s a free country, but to deny it is to deny gravity.
There is bias in the media..nothing new.

That bias comes from all angles and perspectives. Also not new.

Has anyone suggested otherwise?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

If you only ever consume right wing media sources you will certainly come to the belief that they do everything. Does not make it true.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:10 pm Clear this up for the Board: who uncovered the 'bulge' photo (5-27-11) then the 'shirtless' photo (6-1-11) of Anthony Weiner that led to his downfall? I'll wait.

:lol: Wait----so you think that reporting this tabloid sex scandal stuff first is "evidence" that media bias exists?

And to top it off, shocker of all shockers-----you think that media bias works to protect the Dems, and this same media doesn't protect the Republicans?

Do I have this right?
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

[/quote]

That bias comes from all angles and perspectives. Also not new.

Has anyone suggested otherwise?
[/quote]

TAATS
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:40 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:10 pm Clear this up for the Board: who uncovered the 'bulge' photo (5-27-11) then the 'shirtless' photo (6-1-11) of Anthony Weiner that led to his downfall? I'll wait.

:lol: Wait----so you think that reporting this tabloid sex scandal stuff first is "evidence" that media bias exists?

And to top it off, shocker of all shockers-----you think that media bias works to protect the Dems, and this same media doesn't protect the Republicans?

Do I have this right?

Yes, you have that right. And of course you know (everyone knows) it is correct but you need to play your expected part, so go on.

Let me ask you a question. Yesterday, CBS News fired the former ABC News staffer who apparently leaked the video of Amy Robach unwittingly telling the world that she had the goods on Epstein, Clinton, Prince Andrew et al. I thought we protected whistleblowers? Or do we only protect certain kinds of whistleblowers. What are your thoughts on this turn of events?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:06 am Help me out on this, which media outed Bill Clinton or Gary Hart...Sean and Tucker???

What do you think the % of national media identifies as a Republican, MDLax? Please offer me your hard earned estimate.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:46 am

Do I have this right?

Yes, you have that right. And of course you know (everyone knows) it is correct but you need to play your expected part, so go on.

Let me ask you a question. Yesterday, CBS News fired the former ABC News staffer who apparently leaked the video of Amy Robach unwittingly telling the world that she had the goods on Epstein, Clinton, Prince Andrew et al. I thought we protected whistleblowers? Or do we only protect certain kinds of whistleblowers. What are your thoughts on this turn of events?
Another strawman. What laws did ABC break in not running this story?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

foreverlax wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:59 am

Do I have this right?

The only thing ABC broke was more trust in the media.

Why did CBS fire the whistleblower? Did CBS add to more trust being broken in media?
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:03 am
foreverlax wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:59 am

Do I have this right?

The only thing ABC broke was more trust in the media.

Why did CBS fire the whistleblower? Did CBS add to more trust being broken in media?
Agreed.

No clue. Good question.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:47 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:06 am Help me out on this, which media outed Bill Clinton or Gary Hart...Sean and Tucker???

What do you think the % of national media identifies as a Republican, MDLax? Please offer me your hard earned estimate.
Does that include Fox and WSJ and talk radio and Sinclair ?

It matters a lot how you define "national media".

If you narrow it down to just the "FAKE NEWS" outlets, yes high % of likely D's and D-leaning I's.
Those engaged in actual journalism these days do tend to be in that box.
Something about virtues of a strong fourth estate, challenging the powerful.

That said, I do think there remain many good, hard news journalists at WSJ, but it's become very uncomfortable to be such at Fox. None on right wing talk radio, no national journalists left at Sinclair (still some decent local reporting).

I think we can reasonably also say that the pundit class at the "Fake News" outlets are more left leaning than their hard news journalists. But even so, their emphasis does seem to be more about exposing outright corruption and lies, "facts matter" than the pure, false propaganda and anger we see out of the Fox type punditry. That didn't use to be the case at Fox, but it's been building over the past decade.

But that's just how I see it.
I have a hard time staying on Fox very long these days, though I do flip over to see what they think is newsworthy.
I used to watch much more of the time. I just find way too much to be disgustingly false to be willing to listen to more.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:41 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:47 am

Does that include Fox and WSJ and talk radio and Sinclair ?

It matters a lot how you define "national media".

If you narrow it down to just the "FAKE NEWS" outlets, yes high % of likely D's and D-leaning I's.
Those engaged in actual journalism these days do tend to be in that box.
Something about virtues of a strong fourth estate, challenging the powerful.

That said, I do think there remain many good, hard news journalists at WSJ, but it's become very uncomfortable to be such at Fox. None on right wing talk radio, no national journalists left at Sinclair (still some decent local reporting).

I think we can reasonably also say that the pundit class at the "Fake News" outlets are more left leaning than their hard news journalists. But even so, their emphasis does seem to be more about exposing outright corruption and lies, "facts matter" than the pure, false propaganda and anger we see out of the Fox type punditry. That didn't use to be the case at Fox, but it's been building over the past decade.

But that's just how I see it.
I have a hard time staying on Fox very long these days, though I do flip over to see what they think is newsworthy.
I used to watch much more of the time. I just find way too much to be disgustingly false to be willing to listen to more.

That's fair.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Consider also that Project Veritas (the people who leaked the internal video in the first place) is run by a convicted felon (James O'Keefe) who is not exactly any kind of unbiased media source but rather a wild cowboy right-wing partisan hit man/dirtbag with a long rap sheet for this kind of BS.

That said, the leak was certainly not authorized for public dissemination at ABC and certainly within their rights to share their information/evidence about the leaker to their new employer who could be just as easily victimized.

Once the story went public, I do think that both ABC and CBS need to provide more information and context without violating the personal rights of their former employee who likely violated company policy and confidentiality.
Last edited by Kismet on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:46 amYes, you have that right. And of course you know (everyone knows) it is correct but you need to play your expected part, so go on.

Let me ask you a question. Yesterday, CBS News fired the former ABC News staffer who apparently leaked the video of Amy Robach unwittingly telling the world that she had the goods on Epstein, Clinton, Prince Andrew et al.
:lol: Prince Andrew is a Dem??

Wow. That's neat. I didn't know that.

Ain't is a tad----just a tad-----more likely that ABC was protecting powerful onepercenters? And party didn't matter? Do you know everyone who visited Epstein's island?

Did Trumpy know Epstein? But for you, you're 100% certain he's in the clear because you've got a magic 8Ball that sez so.

That about the score here? And you're serious about this?

Newsflash: Foxnews, Breibart, and anyone else can investigate Epstein and that island all they want. What's your neat-o excuse for why they haven't done that? Or do you think this ABC lady has superpowers, and is the only one who could investigate Epstein?

You keep falling for FoxNation "the Dems are bad" nonsense. You're too smart for that, my man.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Nonsense.

These media companies are some of the largest companies that the world has ever seen. They're centrists. Obviously. Why would they alienate their viewers with leftist nonsense? They reflect their viewers.....and their viewers, where the ratings are, live in large cities. So yep, that's going to appear to be left for both rural Americans, and right wingers. But that's the center. They are catering to their viewers. This is about money, not politics.

There's a whole world----a massive gulf-----between right and left. The Center. Perfect example? Why did the media push Hillary at the expense of Sanders if they're leftists? Tells you all you need to know. The Media said: don't rock the boat. Keep it in the center.

As for FoxNews, they're not right wing. Not even close anymore.

Trump's policies makes the stomach turn of any actual rightie in just about every policy area. Yet FoxNation cheers him on.

Now why do you suppose that is?
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/second-pe ... or-lawsuit

Second person says Gym Jordan knew about sexual abuse at OSU and looked away.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:50 am
Nonsense.

These media companies are some of the largest companies that the world has ever seen. They're centrists. Obviously. Why would they alienate their viewers with leftist nonsense? They reflect their viewers.....and their viewers, where the ratings are, live in large cities. So yep, that's going to appear to be left for both rural Americans, and right wingers. But that's the center. They are catering to their viewers. This is about money, not politics.

There's a whole world----a massive gulf-----between right and left. The Center. Perfect example? Why did the media push Hillary at the expense of Sanders if they're leftists? Tells you all you need to know. The Media said: don't rock the boat. Keep it in the center.

As for FoxNews, they're not right wing. Not even close anymore.

Trump's policies makes the stomach turn of any actual rightie in just about every policy area. Yet FoxNation cheers him on.

Now why do you suppose that is?
hmmm, I dunno a fan.
Yeah, it feels to me in my nice suburban bubble that many of the top anchor/pundits are not flame throwers from the left. I'd agree that they're more 'centrist' than they are flamers. Maddow is too gleeful for my taste, but does tell an intelligent, fact based narrative. I don't think even she's a 'flamer'. But tilt left, of course. CNN tries to have a bit more balance than MSNBC, but I don't think it's unfair to say that they lean more progressive than not. But definitely not hard-left, definitely more 'centrist' than 'hard left'

I'm not sure what 'right-wing' means anymore. It certainly isn't 'conservative' the way I used to understand conservatism and was comfortable considering myself such, ala a Peggy Noonan, George Will, sort of view, though a bit more progressive on some social issues than most 'conservatives' I knew.

This Trumpism thing is a very strange animal, holding in thrall a wide swath of folks, though the hard core is only about a third of Americans. The Venn diagram with that group has a large overlap with various forms of bigotry, flavors of white supremacy, certainly something associated with the 'hard-right'. It's also heavy on the non-college educated white, more rural though not exclusively so. However, the low education white aspect is the more important factor than urban-rural. So, 'anti-science' is appealing to those who resent 'elites'; so, too, anti-government appeals as these folks feel relatively less power to affect government than do those with more education and higher incomes. There's also this 'male' resentment that runs through this group, not just with the men who feel their dominance slipping away as more and more women have increasingly worked, earned agency in their lives, becomes bosses of men, etc but also with the women in that culture who want the 'strong man' in their lives.

I don't fall into that Venn diagram in any aspect, so it feels really alien.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Do I have this right?

That protection extends to federal employees only. The non-governmental free-market does what it wants.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”