All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
runrussellrun

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:24 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:12 pm TLD,

from your link, do you conclude that solar panels carbon footprint is large? Interesting that not one of the "answers" :roll: mentions vegatation maintenance. You know, someone driving to a solar farm. Fenced in. Destroying natural habitats for animals.

logic would also say one would have to wash the panels from time to time, less they become in-efficient. Also, doesn't account for the days the solar panels are completely covered in snow/ice, generating NOTHING.

How much kWh are solar panels in Colorado generating, after yet another climate change storm. It's NEVER snowed in Denver in October....how extereme.
You asked if anyone knew the carbon footprint of solar panels. I did some leg work for you. I don’t have a reference point or the experience to make that determination.....but one thing I know for certain...you can and will.
You still don't know......or care to know.

Got it.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:28 pm

from your link, do you conclude that solar panels carbon footprint is large? Interesting that not one of the "answers" :roll: mentions vegatation maintenance. You know, someone driving to a solar farm. Fenced in. Destroying natural habitats for animals.

logic would also say one would have to wash the panels from time to time, less they become in-efficient. Also, doesn't account for the days the solar panels are completely covered in snow/ice, generating NOTHING.

How much kWh are solar panels in Colorado generating, after yet another climate change storm. It's NEVER snowed in Denver in October....how extereme.
You asked if anyone knew the carbon footprint of solar panels. I did some leg work for you. I don’t have a reference point or the experience to make that determination.....but one thing I know for certain...you can and will.

Got it.
I sure don’t. I don’t want to know the details of TGV... I trust the engineers... I will wait for your answer on the relative size of the carbon footprint of a solar panel.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Oldbarndog wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:24 am Wish we could move on from the constant fixation with temperature and focus on pursuing the means to utilize resources in a way that will leave my grandkids with cleaner air and water, safe food sources and the means to earn a decent living. To lock into one data point and downplay or minimize the rest as both sides push agendas is ridiculous. Regardless of your position on CC/GW, is there any logical reason why this can't happen?

It already is! You've never had cleaner air or water if your time frame of reference is the last 100 years. The better news is the air and water get cleaner every day you breathe! So far as jobs, oh man what I wouldn't do to be 21 again and just starting out! So many unbelievable opportunities await any young person with drive, humility, and curiosity.

This should come as no shock to anyone and yet it does to most: people want to live, not die. So long as that is the case, man will devise more and more clever technology to overcome both the past mistakes as well as prevent new ones. For the environment, that is happening as we speak, in millions of ways, large and small, that ensure the beauty of places like the Adirondacks, the Rockies, the oceans, the beaches, etc. It's partly why prices for these locations are going through the roof; smart money filters out noise and focuses on reality, the reality is we have never had it better in the last 100 years.

A truism today as ever: the loudest voices on most issues are the voices that have a monetary angle to score. In this case, some 'environmentalists' are in reality nothing but RICO gangsters, working together to amp up the noise about issues that are already taking care of themselves.

Live and breathe and love life, Oldbarndog; Americans have never been in better shape overall. The future is very bright indeed for your grandkids.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:29 pm

Got it.
I sure don’t. I don’t want to know the details of TGV... I trust the engineers... I will wait for your answer on the relative size of the carbon footprint of a solar panel.
are we talking about solar panels that are heated ?

You trust engineers? :lol: Even ones paid by the Heartland INstitute and MIT grad, the engineer Koch bros
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:35 pm
Oldbarndog wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:24 am Wish we could move on from the constant fixation with temperature and focus on pursuing the means to utilize resources in a way that will leave my grandkids with cleaner air and water, safe food sources and the means to earn a decent living. To lock into one data point and downplay or minimize the rest as both sides push agendas is ridiculous. Regardless of your position on CC/GW, is there any logical reason why this can't happen?

It already is! You've never had cleaner air or water if your time frame of reference is the last 100 years. The better news is the air and water get cleaner every day you breathe! So far as jobs, oh man what I wouldn't do to be 21 again and just starting out! So many unbelievable opportunities await any young person with drive, humility, and curiosity.

This should come as no shock to anyone and yet it does to most: people want to live, not die. So long as that is the case, man will devise more and more clever technology to overcome both the past mistakes as well as prevent new ones. For the environment, that is happening as we speak, in millions of ways, large and small, that ensure the beauty of places like the Adirondacks, the Rockies, the oceans, the beaches, etc. It's partly why prices for these locations are going through the roof; smart money filters out noise and focuses on reality, the reality is we have never had it better in the last 100 years.

A truism today as ever: the loudest voices on most issues are the voices that have a monetary angle to score. In this case, some 'environmentalists' are in reality nothing but RICO gangsters, working together to amp up the noise about issues that are already taking care of themselves.

Live and breathe and love life, Oldbarndog; Americans have never been in better shape overall. The future is very bright indeed for your grandkids.
What? clearly........building codes reflect climate. Talked a client in Florida out of building R-50 exterior walls..........she was also worried about snow load.

Show me a Hurricane that can rip a timber frame apart and I will show you the day disslaxx says something positive about tRump
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:41 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:35 pm

What? clearly........building codes reflect climate. Talked a client in Florida out of building R-50 exterior walls..........she was also worried about snow load.

Show me a Hurricane that can rip a timber frame apart and I will show you the day disslaxx says something positive about tRump

I literally have no idea what an R-50 wall is! But you make my point! Technology has even reached "walls". What used to be basic wood framing is now a decision that can take into account heat, cold, or rain, and hence different materials, different construction design, even biomimicry!

People are ingenious. Set them free and they will solve every problem thrown at them. The only time you need to fear the future is if you transfer agency to a government. Otherwise, have a great and very enjoyable life!
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Agreed. Although you have to agree there is a problem and that the problem has a solution.
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:38 pm

Got it.

You trust engineers? :lol: Even ones paid by the Heartland INstitute and MIT grad, the engineer Koch bros
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You are a hoot... :lol: :lol: :lol: complaining about the lack of high speed rail in the USA but you don’t trust engineers!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I tell you what, when the TGV fails, I won’t trust the engineering!! :lol: :lol: :lol: until then, I am taking the train!!!
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

If you look at the aftermath of hurricane Michael where it came ashore in Mexico Beach, Florida - you can say that that the hurricane caused storm surge can certainly rip apart most any framing technique. But the real lesson here is that building so close to the ocean has its problems, especially with the current and increasing rate of sea level rise.

And for Mr. Brown - an R-50 wall is one which has a very large amount of insulation. Maybe only useful in quite cold climates.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Pollution is a problem.

You really think the gas we emit from our bodies IS the problem?

Why don't others offer solutions.

Is it really crazy to force people (millions of them ) to ride bikes , especially in southern climates? The people that cry the loudest clam up when this simple solution is broached.

And yet......construction of new condo complexes abound in our nation. Especially in pretend liberal bastions.
With zero public transportation. Nothing within reasonable, or safe, walking distance. Most with zero sustainable energy infrastructure.

whats that Urbana, Maryland? Chiding with the Federal Hill (ballmore) waterfront condos'

What ever happened 40B/Cherry Hill affordable housing in this country? In Massachusettes, 10% of each towns housing is deemed "affordable". In one of my towns, that would be $325k per home. Good luck to the teacher buying a home my town (they can't )

Oh.....what's THAT fatty......they have to commute from a more affordable locale? Sure, like Weston. Affordable housing have to do with climate change?

exactly :roll:
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:58 pm Pollution is a problem.

Is it really crazy to force people (millions of them ) to ride bikes , especially in southern climates? The people that cry the loudest clam up when this simple solution is broached.

And yet......construction of new condo complexes abound in our nation. Especially in pretend liberal bastions.
With zero public transportation. Nothing within reasonable, or safe, walking distance. Most with zero sustainable energy infrastructure.

whats that Urbana, Maryland? Chiding with the Federal Hill (ballmore) waterfront condos'

What ever happened 40B/Cherry Hill affordable housing in this country? In Massachusettes, 10% of each towns housing is deemed "affordable". In one of my towns, that would be $325k per home. Good luck to the teacher buying a home my town (they can't )

Oh.....what's THAT fatty......they have to commute from a more affordable locale? Sure, like Weston. Affordable housing have to do with climate change?

Man you know a guy paying $325k for a home is poor. I heard a developer say that a few weeks ago. Can’t afford to keep the property up...would rather sell it for $1MM to someone that can maintain the property!
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:53 pm

Got it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You are a hoot... :lol: :lol: :lol: complaining about the lack of high speed rail in the USA but you don’t trust engineers!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I tell you what, when the TGV fails, I won’t trust the engineering!! :lol: :lol: :lol: until then, I am taking the train!!!
I am a nut job.....not a hoot. Please show me the words that I wrote besmerching engineers? Sorry, I ass umed that you did NOT listen to Heartland Institute engineers. Or, chime in "yes, yes" when pig piling on jhu72's comments when he points out that : "she's a MECHANICAL engineer, NOT an electical "...

.....meaning, who hands out expert badges .

While a master at none..........being an artist, artisan.....the beauty of learning is skeptism . Clearly, tld, you don't read my posts. A bridge in Miami fell and killed people. So preventable, and you joke about it. awesomer.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:57 pm If you look at the aftermath of hurricane Michael where it came ashore in Mexico Beach, Florida - you can say that that the hurricane caused storm surge can certainly rip apart most any framing technique. But the real lesson here is that building so close to the ocean has its problems, especially with the current and increasing rate of sea level rise.

And for Mr. Brown - an R-50 wall is one which has a very large amount of insulation. Maybe only useful in quite cold climates.
no need to keep the air conditioning insulated. :roll: YETI is a scam.

actually, pretty much every thing that was built after the revamped building codes after Andrew (?? ) is still standing.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:02 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:58 pm Pollution is a problem.

Man you know a guy paying $325k for a home is poor. I heard a developer say that a few weeks ago. Can’t afford to keep the property up...would rather sell it for $1MM to someone that can maintain the property!
The towns set the affordable price, not me. Weston Mass. is all up in arms about a 400 unit MONSTER (what the nimby's are calling it ) Hope they fill it with illegals. hypocrites.

Imagine being able to walk to work. awesome.

Housing stock in Baltimore? Occupancy is what? \
exactly
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Do you even read what you write? :roll:
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:19 pm
Do you even read what you write? :roll:
Yes, out loud. You atta try it.

Do you ever post anything other than snark?

The thrust of my point, is credentials. Especially on THIS thread, where the norm is to bash the qualifications of referenced sources. This includes actual scientists who may have a "contrarian" viewpoint. Based on their science.

Are you telling me this isn't the narrative on this thread? Attack the messenger, nevah the message? Are you telling me that "paid for by.......fill in the blank" argument hasn't been made to discredit a source? Oh yeah......."great source" :roll: FOX, VOX, Sr. Spencer ( I don't read him ) , Atlantic, nytimes, washpost etc.

. Also included: engineers/scienctists who's research was funded by the Koch Bros/Heartland institute. Or exxon. Or, even exxon themselves (they KNEW :o ) Those engineers are NOT to be listened too. You don't pick up this vibe? stinks to you.
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:05 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:53 pm

Got it.

I am a nut job.....not a hoot. Please show me the words that I wrote besmerching engineers? Sorry, I ass umed that you did NOT listen to Heartland Institute engineers. Or, chime in "yes, yes" when pig piling on jhu72's comments when he points out that : "she's a MECHANICAL engineer, NOT an electical "...

.....meaning, who hands out expert badges .

While a master at none..........being an artist, artisan.....the beauty of learning is skeptism . Clearly, tld, you don't read my posts. A bridge in Miami fell and killed people. So preventable, and you joke about it. awesomer.
You poked fun of my trust in engineers! :lol: :lol: :lol: Wait. That's not what you meant! Was that bridge a TGV? :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Yeah, I made fun of your trust of engineers that get paid from the Heartland Institute/Koch bros. Don't you?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/arti ... to-policy/

IT's a cottage industry........contrarians, skeptics, heretics. :roll:

I just want to know;

A: What I can do to reduce , or eliminate, emmissions of nastiness (co2) Harvard U's fossil fuel power plant on the Charles river. The dorms are getting cold.

B: Who to believe :roll:

C: Who will pay for solar panels for Baltimore row houses. Congressman Cummings had a low interest loan program, I believe, for N. Howard st. residents to install the panels. Car batteries linked in series will store the energy so students can study at night. :lol:
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:35 pm Yeah, I made fun of your trust of engineers that get paid from the Heartland Institutethev/Koch bros. Don't you?
I trust those that developed the TGV. Don’t need to know why it gets me from A to B. Let me know what you use on Wayzes to avoid the use of bridges! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”