Conservative Ideology: A Big Lie

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
holmes435

Re: The GOP, Past and Future Direction

Post by holmes435 »

Tax cuts for the rich. Benefits cuts for the poor.

The solution is stupidly obvious - why don't they just stop being poor?

One of the interesting side effects of today's "gig economy" and corporations pushing people into contract or temp positions vs employed positions is that we have even fewer people paying into Social Security.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

foreverlax wrote:You have to be an idiot to take the best economy in our history and have deficit budgets and increased debt....if not an idiot, a hypocrite.
That is the American way for the majority of families living paycheck to paycheck. Not sure why you would call all those people idiots. ;)

You all must stop the drivel about debt. WE beat this horse on LP...it is just smoke and mirrors for either side to complain or rave about.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

The "drivel about the debt," YA, was a staple, central part of the GOP belief system for decades. We aren't beating on the debt as such; we are beating on the remarkable hypocrisy of the GOP. There is a difference, and my very good guess is you know it.

And the latest -- "gee whiz, we've piled up a lot of debt; we'll have to reduce entitlements" -- is the exact thing that a fan and I and others were saying would happen: de-tax the rich; spend borrowed trillions to claim victories and "fulfill campaign promises;" and then act aghast at the debt and take on "entitlement reform." You think for a minute this is helping the "majority of families living paycheck to paycheck" in the long run? The GOP is government of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

youthathletics wrote:
foreverlax wrote:You have to be an idiot to take the best economy in our history and have deficit budgets and increased debt....if not an idiot, a hypocrite.
That is the American way for the majority of families living paycheck to paycheck. Not sure why you would call all those people idiots. ;)

You all must stop the drivel about debt. WE beat this horse on LP...it is just smoke and mirrors for either side to complain or rave about.
Nope....this is the hypocrisy horse the Rs road for 8 years. Everything had to be "neutral", until they won. Now its give money to Corps, the .01%, etc., etc. through tax giveaways, straight handouts....picking winners a losers. bang1

Is it the same as always, sure. You can't wave the fiscal conservative flags for 8 years and suddenly support dumping borrowed money in to the economy. Where was the support from the Rs when we were circling the toilet?

End of the day, the Rs this cycle have made judges their measuring stick.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

holmes435 wrote:Tax cuts for the rich. Benefits cuts for the poor.

The solution is stupidly obvious - why don't they just stop being poor?

One of the interesting side effects of today's "gig economy" and corporations pushing people into contract or temp positions vs employed positions is that we have even fewer people paying into Social Security.
Maybe it’s because of the way you phrased your side effects statement, but you’re incorrect. Contract, temporary, and independent contractors pay (or perhaps I should say are supposed to pay) into social security and Medicare just like any employed person. It’s called self-employment tax, it’s basically independent of an individual’s income tax calculation, it’s collected on dollar one of income, and it’s twice as much as what employees pay because the self-employed are also responsible for the employer’s half.

I’m not a fan of the gig economy, but it’s not because of social security.
Last edited by SCLaxAttack on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

foreverlax wrote:
youthathletics wrote:

Nope....this is the hypocrisy horse the Rs road for 8 years. Everything had to be "neutral", until they won. Now its give money to Corps, the .01%, etc., etc. through tax giveaways, straight handouts....picking winners a losers. bang1

Is it the same as always, sure. You can't wave the fiscal conservative flags for 8 years and suddenly support dumping borrowed money in to the economy. Where was the support from the Rs when we were circling the toilet?

Sad about the debt, but true. When was the last time anyone’s heard of the debt clock? I’m not sure I understand your measuring stick statement, though.

They are all the same. This is my first election cycle after moving to NC. Early voting starts today. I know the name of every incumbent judge and local official, i.e. my state legislators, and my only criteria is to select the non-incumbent for every position.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

SCLaxAttack wrote:
foreverlax wrote:
youthathletics wrote:

Sad about the debt, but true. When was the last time anyone’s heard of the debt clock? I’m not sure I understand your measuring stick statement, though.

They are all the same. This is my first election cycle after moving to NC. Early voting starts today. I know the name of every incumbent judge and local official, i.e. my state legislators, and my only criteria is to select the non-incumbent for every position.
I'm not sure what you are asking me....
I’m not sure I understand your measuring stick statement, though.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Forever, I’m not really asking for anything. I was just commenting that I don’t understand what you mean when you say the Rs this cycle have made judges their measuring stick. You’re making a point with the statement, but I’m not getting what that point is.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

What else than the appointment of a bunch of judges are R's measuring their success (in this election cycle) on??

For instance:

Key Architect Of The GOP Tax Plan Isn’t Talking About It Much On The Trail

:?: :?:
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

SCLaxAttack wrote:Maybe it’s because of the way you phrased your side effects statement, but you’re incorrect. Contract, temporary, and independent contractors pay (or perhaps I should say are supposed to pay) into social security and Medicare just like any employed person. It’s called self-employment tax, it’s basically independent of an individual’s income tax calculation, it’s collected on dollar one of income, and it’s twice as much as what employees pay because the self-employed are also responsible for the employer’s half.

I’m not a fan of the gig economy, but it’s not because of social security.
You're correct yes, individuals are supposed to be filing taxes and paying their share. I was more inferring the "supposed to file" part, as you're probably gonna have a lot more issues with individuals filing taxes and not reporting some income here and there. It would be interesting to see the data on it to see if it does in fact have an impact - I couldn't find anything with a quick search.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

SCLaxAttack wrote:Forever, I’m not really asking for anything. I was just commenting that I don’t understand what you mean when you say the Rs this cycle have made judges their measuring stick. You’re making a point with the statement, but I’m not getting what that point is.
I guess my point is the Rs have two things they can run on....

1. Tax cuts
2. Ultra Conservative judicial nominations

The tax cuts are for corps and the 1%. This gift gets them money for their campaigns.

Judicial nominations are for the hard Rs.....which also gets them money for their campaigns. Trump has made a generational impact on the courts.

Regulatory reform is hard measure, although administration claims Regulatory Relief Efforts Deliver $23 Billion In Regulatory Cost Savings. Nothing in this propaganda piece clarifies how they got to this number.
a fan

Post by a fan »

foreverlax wrote: I guess my point is the Rs have two things they can run on....

1. Tax cuts
You're assuming R voters care about policy. Trump has proven once and for all that they don't. Trump has done everything that these voters hated Obama for even thinking of doing...and now they are cheering.

And "conservative" voters are deluding themselves about the court. They've been told that the SCOTUS rules in a right/left fashion. Nope. They vote in a 1% or 99% fashion in the vast majority of cases. Example? Do you think Citizens United favored Conservative Voters? Yeah, me neither. But it sure helped the 1%.

Republicans that are happy about the Court are in for a rough ride. They just don't know it yet. Who do you think this court will rule in favor of? Monsanto, or citizens, regardless of party, who are poisoned by their practices? We all know the answer. This is a case of 'be careful what you ask for'.

foreverlax wrote:Regulatory reform is hard measure, although administration claims Regulatory Relief Efforts Deliver $23 Billion In Regulatory Cost Savings. Nothing in this propaganda piece clarifies how they got to this number.
Regulatory reform is an easy measure. We all work, yes? Great. Can anyone name a Federal regulation that was dropped that makes their life better or puts more money in their pocket?
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/17/us/r ... trust.html

Red Tide Rick Scott has a blnd trust he can see. Who is surprised?
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

a fan wrote:
foreverlax wrote: I guess my point is the Rs have two things they can run on....

1. Tax cuts
You're assuming R voters care about policy. Trump has proven once and for all that they don't. Trump has done everything that these voters hated Obama for even thinking of doing...and now they are cheering.

And "conservative" voters are deluding themselves about the court. They've been told that the SCOTUS rules in a right/left fashion. Nope. They vote in a 1% or 99% fashion in the vast majority of cases. Example? Do you think Citizens United favored Conservative Voters? Yeah, me neither. But it sure helped the 1%.

Republicans that are happy about the Court are in for a rough ride. They just don't know it yet. Who do you think this court will rule in favor of? Monsanto, or citizens, regardless of party, who are poisoned by their practices? We all know the answer. This is a case of 'be careful what you ask for'.

foreverlax wrote:Regulatory reform is hard measure, although administration claims Regulatory Relief Efforts Deliver $23 Billion In Regulatory Cost Savings. Nothing in this propaganda piece clarifies how they got to this number.
Regulatory reform is an easy measure. We all work, yes? Great. Can anyone name a Federal regulation that was dropped that makes their life better or puts more money in their pocket?
I couldn't name a single regulation that has improved my life or made me wealthier. Professionally, the financial services industry is certainly no less encumbered by regulation then it was under BHO. Trump has made matters even more muddy, by not dealing with the role of advisers as fiduciaries.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

a fan wrote:Trump has done everything that these voters hated Obama for even thinking of doing...and now they are cheering.
nah - trump has been busy sticking his finger in the eye of every national leader other than NoKo. It really pissed off a lot of deplorables when Obama went on his "apology tour" as Fox liked to call it....

The voters wanted someone to throw a tantrum and break things. they wanted someone to throw a hissy fit and scream at "the man". They wanted a choice between bernie and trump. One side got their trump - the other side is wearing p*&^y hats and storming the capital hallways..... headbang1
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
a fan

Post by a fan »

I meant in terms of policy. His policies make Obama look like he's to the right of W F Buckley.

You are right, of course, and that's my point: policy is wholly immaterial to R Voters. Personally, I think we'll get more R seats in a few weeks, not fewer.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

a fan wrote:I meant in terms of policy. His policies make Obama look like he's to the right of W F Buckley.

You are right, of course, and that's my point: policy is wholly immaterial to R Voters. Personally, I think we'll get more R seats in a few weeks, not fewer.
I know you did - I was piling on....

The voters don't think about policy, that takes work and thought, and in the end is probably a waste of time for most folks.

What they do think about is feelings - how does their bank account feel, how does their job feel, how do they feel about their place in their community, their community in their state, their state in the US and the US in the world. The answer lately has been: not all that good.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

SCLaxAttack wrote:
foreverlax wrote:
youthathletics wrote:

Forever, You are falling for the BS Hoopla, hook-line-and sinker. No one in politics (really and truly) cares about the debt, like I noted above. It is just political talking points. Can we all just be happy American are working at a very high rate, jobs are available and heck, even pot is legal.... more now than ever. 8-)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

youthathletics wrote:
SCLaxAttack wrote:
foreverlax wrote:
youthathletics wrote:

Forever, You are falling for the BS Hoopla, hook-line-and sinker. No one in politics (really and truly) cares about the debt, like I noted above. It is just political talking points. Can we all just be happy American are working at a very high rate, jobs are available and heck, even pot is legal.... more now than ever. 8-)
You are spot on, the pols really don't care...once they get elected.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

youthathletics wrote:Can we all just be happy American are working at a very high rate, jobs are available and heck, even pot is legal.... more now than ever. 8-)
NO. Not when the GOP LIES and LIES and LIES about concern for debt and turns those LIES into solid obstruction that leads us to the LIARS being in power. Tricklee down has been, is now, and ALWAYS WILL BE a stinkin' LIE. And these maroons rode that dead horse right into the Oval Office.

Just what do Trump Base Voters think they're gonna GET from a buncha right wing loons on the SCOTUS continuing to invest raw power in the 1%??

Trickle down "rights"?? That'll sure help you "put food on your family" (GW Shrub)

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes

Return to “POLITICS”