All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:09 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:00 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:57 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:46 pm Lot of billionaires buying up beach front property in Bangladesh heh? How about the New Orleans 9th Ward there spanky?

If Bangladesh and New Orleans weren't third world countries, maybe the billionaires would buy there. Palm Beach and Chittagong have as much in common as Brad Pitt and you.

:lol:
So you get my point. Good. Billionaires aren't worried about climate change, because their money protects them, for the time being.

Weird then that billionaire Dems who are worried about global warming (or is it climate change, now? :lol: ) are also buying beachfront and waterfront property. Some might even invest in energy from time to time. I might even know one or two. Who knows!

https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2016/08/03/h ... ont-condo/
https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/b ... miami.html
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... as-exports

Not even a little weird. We have had this discussion before. What's the investment time horizon?
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:13 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:09 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:00 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:57 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:46 pm Lot of billionaires buying up beach front property in Bangladesh heh? How about the New Orleans 9th Ward there spanky?

If Bangladesh and New Orleans weren't third world countries, maybe the billionaires would buy there. Palm Beach and Chittagong have as much in common as Brad Pitt and you.

:lol:
So you get my point. Good. Billionaires aren't worried about climate change, because their money protects them, for the time being.

Weird then that billionaire Dems who are worried about global warming (or is it climate change, now? :lol: ) are also buying beachfront and waterfront property. Some might even invest in energy from time to time. I might even know one or two. Who knows!

https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2016/08/03/h ... ont-condo/
https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/b ... miami.html
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... as-exports

Not even a little weird. We have had this discussion before. What's the investment time horizon?
Interesting you use the terminology about having a discussion. IMO that is 72 speak for you lecture and everybody bows down and kisses your ring. :lol: :lol: :lol: To quote triple RRR... what is our climate changing to? Now the environmental freak circus wants the US military to kiss their ass. Maybe we need to re-locate the 82nd Airborne Division to Miami and we can then re-locate the 101st Airborne Division to New Orleans. Break out the sandbags there young soldiers and remain on standby for the next 50 to 100 years. I can't believe that ANYBODY with a brain in mainstream US of A is not telling you environmental wingnuts to go and pound sand. You don't give a flying fig about saving the planet. What the objective is... control the conversation and manipulate people using fear and intimidation. The sad part is that so many Americans have been beaten down into submission that don't have the intestinal fortitude to tell you environmental terrorists to go ( inserting nice terminology to assuage MDlax) and take a hike. :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Triple laughing emoji. Whew. Nice.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:06 pm Triple laughing emoji. Whew. Nice.
Knew that would impress you. :D I was going to go for 4 but I figured that would be over the top. Have you stocked up on sandbags yet coaster while the price is right?
Bob Ross:
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

30 yards from the Atlantic, what I want is unbridled power
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
a fan

Post by a fan »

PeteB, Why would the fact that the rich still buy beachfront property prove anything?

Have you noticed all the fires in California? Is that stopping rich people from buying homes there?

Rich can handle the risk. This is not a complicated concept. Where they build tells you nothing other than they must like the view.

Further, you're forgetting that FEMA is backing these stupid, high risk building decisions that mostly have nothing to do with global warming.

You want to see people and insurance companies actually put environmental risk back into construction decisions?

Get rid of FEMA, and get rid of all government backed insurance. Watch what the free market does. That will tell you where the risk is.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:12 pm PeteB, Why would the fact that the rich still buy beachfront property prove anything?

Have you noticed all the fires in California? Is that stopping rich people from buying homes there?

Rich can handle the risk. This is not a complicated concept. Where they build tells you nothing other than they must like the view.

Further, you're forgetting that FEMA is backing these stupid, high risk building decisions that mostly have nothing to do with global warming.

You want to see people and insurance companies actually put environmental risk back into construction decisions?

Get rid of FEMA, and get rid of all government backed insurance. Watch what the free market does. That will tell you where the risk is.
Explain to me a Fan what the role is of the US Military is in combating climate change and in fighting the expected chaos in our nation that will evolve from that. The US military is not and never has been authorized to perform law enforcement of any type within our own borders. The role of protecting our people within our own borders is and always should be a job for law enforcement. When we have evolved into a state of anarchy that we have to turn to the military to enforce the rule of law in our country... we are totally screwed as a nation. This was a big deal when I was in the army. Our leaders at that time were repugnant at any mission that involved them being used to police American citizens in any way, shape or form. The logic is obvious and very clear. American soldiers will not accept being forced by any orders to have to draw down on their own people. That is why at least in the mind of military higher ups is that law enforcement is not their job and should never be their job.
Bob Ross:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:12 pm PeteB, Why would the fact that the rich still buy beachfront property prove anything

I tend to think people who’ve earned their wealth have on average more brains than most. Not either/or, or all/none, but a decent barometer.

If they’re buying the beach, clearly they’re not buying the hysteria.

What say you?
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The rich know when to leave.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Little Greta has gained some traction.

Flight Shaming
old salt

Post by old salt »

It all depends on how affluent the neighborhood is. Just like everything else, affluence buffers one from downside consequences.

FEMA Flood Insurance Study

Cost of flood insurance is likely to Sink Miami before CC

Maybe the billionaires will buy up all property in Miami when everyone else is priced out by the cost of flood insurance. :lol:
You think CC & flood insurance costs are responsible for the 9th Ward's flooding risks ?
The Army Corps of Engineers will be pleased to learn they're off the hook.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:24 pm If they’re buying the beach, clearly they’re not buying the hysteria.

What say you?
Asked and answered. Not only can the rich handle the risk---what's the average length someone holds on to a property in the US? 14.8 years.

In addition, as I told you before, FEMA and other .gov entities subsidize the risk of this choice. Take that away, and insurers will start to calculate the true risk of a property. And THAT will tell you the real story.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

old salt wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:45 pm

It all depends on how affluent the neighborhood is. Just like everything else, affluence buffers one from downside consequences.

FEMA Flood Insurance Study

Cost of flood insurance is likely to Sink Miami before CC

Maybe the billionaires will buy up all property in Miami when everyone else is priced out by the cost of flood insurance. :lol:
You think CC & flood insurance costs are responsible for the 9th Ward's flooding risks ?
The Army Corps of Engineers will be pleased to learn they're off the hook.
That's hardly my argument. :roll:
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

It's settled......and you are FIRED. Poor Dr. Susan Crockford. Science is cool....until it's applied to gender :roll:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/10/16/ ... or-status/

Stifling scientific criticism
It appears certain to me that the Anthropology Department bowed to pressure from the administration, who themselves bowed to pressure from outside the university community, in an attempt to stifle my legitimate scientific criticisms of polar bear conservation issues. This kind of bullying has been happening far too often at universities, even in Canada.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:54 am It's settled......and you are FIRED. Poor Dr. Susan Crockford. Science is cool....until it's applied to gender :roll:

It appears certain to me that the Anthropology Department bowed to pressure from the administration, who themselves bowed to pressure from outside the university community, in an attempt to stifle my legitimate scientific criticisms of polar bear conservation issues. This kind of bullying has been happening far too often at universities, even in Canada.

Amazing article. One of several reasons I am no longer a Democrat. Though this issue took place in Canada, this kind of politics over science, anti free speech ethos seeps through many of my friends’ thoughts and wishes.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:09 am
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:54 am It's settled......and you are FIRED. Poor Dr. Susan Crockford. Science is cool....until it's applied to gender :roll:

Amazing article. One of several reasons I am no longer a Democrat. Though this issue took place in Canada, this kind of politics over science, anti free speech ethos seeps through many of my friends’ thoughts and wishes.
That is the reason why the objective of the Chicken little brigade has nothing to do with saving the planet. The objective is to gain power and money. To do that you have to shout down and stifle anyone who is not on board.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:27 am

That is the reason why the objective of the Chicken little brigade has nothing to do with saving the planet. The objective is to gain power and money. To do that you have to shout down and stifle anyone who is not on board.
http://www.drroyspencer.com/category/blogarticle/ I know Dr Spencer is despised and hated on this forum. IMO his research and opinion is more than credible. My favorite part is reading all the debate back and forth from the eggheads that comment on Dr Spencers opinions.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

… despised and hated -- hardly, more like laughed at. :lol:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:33 am

http://www.drroyspencer.com/category/blogarticle/ I know Dr Spencer is despised and hated on this forum. IMO his research and opinion is more than credible. My favorite part is reading all the debate back and forth from the eggheads that comment on Dr Spencers opinions.
roy spencer books: are they free?

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo ... qUEALw_wcB
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:48 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:33 am

roy spencer books: are they free?

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo ... qUEALw_wcB
The issue is NOT Dr. Spencer, but Dr. Crockford.

Everyone ok with what happened to her?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"

Return to “POLITICS”