Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:57 pm There is of course a very rational explanation for it but Hopkins tweeted out the scores from the golf outing held on Monday and the team that appeared to come in fourth had one father son combo of Peter and Jack Keogh. I'm sure they played as a threesome without young Jack but again hoping hes on the lax field and the links sooner then later. It looks like Coach's back probably kept him off a squad.

P.S. If anybody from the Hopkins program lurks this site they might want to see if they can use location/golf course reputation to generate more funds. I would easily take a day off, get a foursome together and spend way more than $250 a head if I could play Caves or 5 Farms or even go back to Townsend's incredible Hamilton Farms in New Jersey. I would be stunned if Cowan/Townsend/Cordish etc were not members somewhere like that. I'm not doing the above for a club where their web site doesn't even have a drop down menu for the golf course but they do for the pool and tennis. I've been to charity golf outings where there are close to 2 foursomes on every hole - by the tweeted out score sheet there were 17 foursomes on Monday. So that's $17 K gross. While I am sure BCC and Caves have very limited golf outings - if you could score one it would significantly increase your revenue.
Count me in again.

By the way, I hit Townsend’s silo.

There was an outing on the Friday before the Alumni Game.

The scores you are reporting sounds more like a team, parents thing.

I’ve never seen Coach play in one of these things. He usually is running around in a cart and talking to people. I remember him telling Tom Garvey to be sure to slide. Cover his slides.

W
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The golf outing was Oct. 4—says it right there on the score sheet the team posted to Twitter/Instagram.

Jays add 4-star attackman Will Peden to the 2021 class. Brother plays for UNC. Ranked #56 by Inside Lacrosse. 7 of 9 commits so far are in IL's top 100. Say what you want about the validity of those rankings, but one thing seems pretty clear—either these kids and their families know something we don't or the uncertainty of the coaching staff's longterm future has not impacted acquiring top-tier recruits. Of course they can always choose to decommit later on should a certain situation change. I don't think there's much debate that the guy can bring in good players. Also, for all its ills, Hopkins still pretty much recruits itself. The issue is getting them to perform to their potential once on campus.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I don’t do twitter much very much, and no instagram at all.

I think I and the world are safer for it.

Isn’t Instagram where women try to make themselves famous by posting scantily clad pictures?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

If so, then why are you not obsessively checking it?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

The twitter post i saw was from the golf outing on the 4th which obviously solves the Keogh riddle but my bad for not seeing the date on the sheet. Petro played the year I was at Hamilton Farms
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:05 am The twitter post i saw was from the golf outing on the 4th which obviously solves the Keogh riddle but my bad for not seeing the date on the sheet. Petro played the year I was at Hamilton Farms
How’d he do?

I know he made reference to using his “foot wedge”.

The guy does have a very good wry sense of humor.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

If I remember correctly when I asked how he hit them the reply was "Early and Often"
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

so our midfield this year is a 5'7 role player, a highly touted recruit coming off a down year, 2 veteran attackmen, a sophomore stud who couldn't win the trust of the coaching staff and tbd. Whoof.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:28 pm so our midfield this year is a 5'7 role player, a highly touted recruit coming off a down year, 2 veteran attackmen, a sophomore stud who couldn't win the trust of the coaching staff and tbd. Whoof.
So is that a no for the Hopkins 100 Club? Might only cost ya a couple hundred
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:11 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:28 pm so our midfield this year is a 5'7 role player, a highly touted recruit coming off a down year, 2 veteran attackmen, a sophomore stud who couldn't win the trust of the coaching staff and tbd. Whoof.
So is that a no for the Hopkins 100 Club? Might only cost ya a couple hundred
LOL

'06 Arent you a little late to the midfield party? '16 ran down the mid-field roster in depth. I have chronicled in detail how Hopkins first mid-field was not even in the same ball park as the top teams first lines last year. Not quite sure who your 5'7" role player is. You have DeSimone and Zinn - certainly no one can argue with your description of DeSimone - I don't think playing time will be an issue with Zinn this year. As stated before, if Keogh's injury is season ending it unquestionably hurts mid-field depth as 13 points from a second line middie is not bad and you could reasonably conceive of an increase. If Keogh's OK - I still think Smith is the prime candidate to join the attack corp. That opens a spot on the first line that alot of us armchair qbs would hope it is Zinn. Then your second line is Baskin, Keogh and TBD. Again, the 2nd line is not the real issue. If Baskin and Keogh could build on their respective 17 and 13 points the 2nd line will be very functional. If Keogh is done for '20 it might keep Smith on the mid-field and open up a slot to have Murphy or someone (preferably right handed if I am the coach) on attack which likely bumps DeSimone or Zinn to the 2nds. Either way -to be successful - whichever grouping of Smith/Zinn/Concannon/DeSimone it is - the first mid-field has to be at a collective total of over 100 in points not 69. Point of reference - the national champs last year were at 137 points for their first mid-field - 1 point less than twice Hopkins output.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Toward the end of last season I'm pretty sure I said something along the lines of "well the midfield situation can't get any WORSE in 2020" and if so then I apologize because as things stand today that seems like an actual possibility.

- Cattoni departs—obviously we only had him for three games last year so it's not exactly a "loss" in that sense but I think most of us were hoping he'd return healthy and at least be a 2nd line contributor with the potential for more
- No transfers in
- Freshman class is fairly light on midfielders
- Keogh hurt

On top of that, I think though not 100% certain that Brunner was wearing a cast on his hand in one of the photos the team posted from their networking trip to DC this weekend. No clue the severity or if he'd even be a factor when healthy but that's a rather inauspicious start to your career at a position where we could have used some reinforcement.

So...yeah. Apparently it can get worse.

Midfield improvement is essentially contingent on two things: Zinn making the leap he's capable of (assuming the coaches let him) and DeSimone at least tripling (quadrupling? quintupling?) his scoring output.

The most important player on the offense next season IMO will be Cole Williams—Epstein is going to be double and triple teamed and the midfield doesn't pose much of a threat. The now bald-headed Cole is going to get his chances. Can make a similar argument for Forry but as a predominantly off-ball finisher there's not quite as much in his control.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Forry has certainly moved into the role of off-ball finisher, but he's capable of doing other things. I'd like to see him move back to his natural position at attack where he can pose a consistent presence and threat off the crease and carry the ball some. Teams will certainly be focusing on Epstein this spring.

Zinn on the first midfield would open things up for Concannon and DeSimone. Zinn is a threat to dodge and score. When he was a freshman, DeSimone had Tinney to dodge and pass to him and he was very productive. With no dodging threat on the first midfield last year, DeSimone's numbers dropped off. They could increase in 2020 with Zinn running on the same line with him.

On the second line they could run Baskin, Mabbett, and Degnon(?) or maybe Murphy(?) if Keogh can't make it back. With both Prouty and Narewski the Younger getting into their second year of extended PT, the face-offs should be pretty good. More touches for the offense. Maybe, just maybe, good enough to mask the problems on the defensive end of the field.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:14 pm 7 of 9 commits so far are in IL's top 100. Say what you want about the validity of those rankings, but one thing seems pretty clear—either these kids and their families know something we don't or the uncertainty of the coaching staff's longterm future has not impacted acquiring top-tier recruits. Of course they can always choose to decommit later on should a certain situation change. I don't think there's much debate that the guy can bring in good players. Also, for all its ills, Hopkins still pretty much recruits itself. The issue is getting them to perform to their potential once on campus.
My guess is that it is the later with a side of it is Hopkins selling itself.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

From what I have heard over the years Hopkins is a harder sell than most schools. I place very little confidence in IL lists but they are the only source out there. They do fairly well with the top not so much with the bottom. Talent has grown at a fairly rapid pace this century. It is becoming hard to draw strong distinctions. Don’t leave out MB’s gift in the factors. It allows Hopkins to offer financial aid to kids who need it but would not otherwise be able to attend. Potentially a boost in who we can bring in. I don’t this Daniels cares but the new AD does. For a very long time we have not been able to attract students we wanted because of family financial situations. Now we can and that will spillover into athletics too
Last edited by OCanada on Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:16 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:14 pm 7 of 9 commits so far are in IL's top 100. Say what you want about the validity of those rankings, but one thing seems pretty clear—either these kids and their families know something we don't or the uncertainty of the coaching staff's longterm future has not impacted acquiring top-tier recruits. Of course they can always choose to decommit later on should a certain situation change. I don't think there's much debate that the guy can bring in good players. Also, for all its ills, Hopkins still pretty much recruits itself. The issue is getting them to perform to their potential once on campus.
My guess is that it is the later with a side of it is Hopkins selling itself.

Okay, I like to take the mickey out of you boys from time to time, but here I am being serious. If it were not for Mike Bloomberg, Hopkins would be 50% less attractive today. The guy's largesse has monumentally changed the attractiveness of so much of Hopkins, especially Charles Street. Truth.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Wait until you see the plans for the northward extension of the Inner Harbor. Yachts.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

It’s truth every where. If it were not for X then Y doesn’t happen. If it were t for Johns Hopkins there would be no school. The truth is the truth. MBs largess is probably the greatest in the country at the moment. His product is essential. He is not the sole reason but he is far and away the biggest for Homewood. Bill Miller ((Legg Mason) donated something like 15 million to one department. One Saudi family gave a large gift to the hospital but none come close to MB. Generally Hopkins is a research institution so it hasn’t seen a huge base of truly wealthy slums. The redoing of the campus roads and landscaping, numerous buildings, the growth in several academic areas can be directly attributed to MB
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:54 am From what I have heard over the years Hopkins is a harder sell than most schools.
Harder sell than "most schools"? Which schools are you including under that umbrella exactly?

Duke, UNC, and UVA, I would argue, are the premier destinations for a recruit these days, in terms of combining lacrosse, academics, location, and social life. Notre Dame probably isn't too far behind, but location and the religious factor are turnoffs for some people.

After that, however, Hopkins is right there in a tier with many of the Ivies, the rest of the Big Ten (except maybe Ohio State), and Georgetown, in terms of overall attractiveness to a lacrosse recruit, IMO. You can take issue with the IL rankings all you want, but it's a fact that Hopkins is landing more than its fair share of the most sought-after kids. Perhaps it's been a battle behind the scenes, I wouldn't know, but the end result is that Petro is getting many of his guys. And not just from the MIAA. It's tough to imagine how Hopkins is a harder sell than "most" schools outside of a select few in the ACC and maybe one or two Ivies. Yale, Penn, Harvard, Cornell, Brown, and Princeton are obviously all fantastic but they each have drawbacks, too. (Not mentioning Dartmouth because they've been a complete non-factor. Sorry Dartmouth.) So do the other Big Ten schools. Even Duke, UNC, and UVA have things you can quibble with but IMO they have the fewest downsides of all major D1 lax programs. If I was the unbiased parent of a child looking to play elite D1 lacrosse I'd probably start with those three, but Hopkins would not be very far behind.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

You obviously have not followed my posts in the recent past. I suppose I could name a number of future HOFers that when it hit down to two schools chose the other o e fir various reasons. Or I could get into the BIG save for JHU is a big time sports conference. A lot of kids want that atmosphere. Add the ACC in there. Or I we could discuss the urge kids have to go away to school, or we could get into the one that has hurt Hopkins and Cuse the ability of state schools to offer better economics and I. Some cases in state tuition to out of state students.

Destination schools include at least Duke, VA, Yale, NC and possibly PSU and Cornell thought it takes time to for perception to catch reality.

Then there is the inner city location and the perception you have to work harder at Hopkins.

There a small number of schools attracting top talent. There is more of it and so the schools at the top will continue to get there allotment. But which ones are getting their first choice as opposed to their third choice. Evaluations on the basis of IL rankings is fatuous. The NFL and NFL spend fortunes trying to analyze the prospects of mature athletes. Trying to evaluate those of 17 yos is a fool’s errand. Thought it does help drive revenues from fans who like the one or two derivative approach based on interviews as if there are not biases like a coach understanding his recruits and talking up other teams prospects.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

You left out recruiting the reservation.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”