NFL

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: NFL

Post by Brooklyn »

isnt ogletree hurt too?

Yup. Come to think of it, the Jints always lead the league in injuries. Mebbe it's the waters in Jersey - who knows for sure??
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

dallas looks pretty good. not sure about the rest though.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:41 am dallas looks pretty good. not sure about the rest though.
The rest...? Of the NFL?
DMac

Post by DMac »

As a whole the NFL is becoming more and more unwatchable. Watch a HS game and note the pace of the game, it's not much like the NFL. The game is called in real time, not slo mo from 42 different angles, decisions are made quickly and the game moves along. Yup, no doubt a questionable call here and there but I'll take that over what the NFL is offering up these days. Football is a religion and plenty of people flock into the stadiums, but it's not about the game, IMO, it's about the event. The product the NFL offers up these days is just awful and getting worse. By the end of the year the ref's flags will be worn, torn, and tattered, hope they've got a big supply of them.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

i meant the East. NYG could be the second best at this point! though, doubtful, considering the pass defense.

DMac wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:04 pm As a whole the NFL is becoming more and more unwatchable. Watch a HS game and note the pace of the game, it's not much like the NFL. The game is called in real time, not slo mo from 42 different angles, decisions are made quickly and the game moves along. Yup, no doubt a questionable call here and there but I'll take that over what the NFL is offering up these days. Football is a religion and plenty of people flock into the stadiums, but it's not about the game, IMO, it's about the event. The product the NFL offers up these days is just awful and getting worse. By the end of the year the ref's flags will be worn, torn, and tattered, hope they've got a big supply of them.
yep. that plus the abhorrent way the league treats its players- like commodities, with little regard for injuries, futures, etc. that and the crime/assault issues. and CTE. and people like kraft. and the 24 hour non-stop analysis. and the drama, and locker room tweeting. and the constant player unhappiness where they just move once something doesnt go their way. and fantasy football.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Jints win!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRm6IWa ... ure=onebox

Jints have 'Skins to thank for all their TO's. QB Jones has the mobility that Eli lacked and this gives him more time to pass.

Skins rookie Haskins has raw talent but with better team support he will be a top QB in the NFL.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

Think I'm ready to part ways with the NFL. Superior athletes, inferior product. Too many asshats, tv commercials, sideline eye candy, color commentators reliving glory days, replay after replay, pass happy, cellys for mediocre plays. C'mon, man!
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's not just a bunch of warrantless growling from the old dog, that's for sure! When football was football, one used to get more excited as the game went along (if it was a competitive game) now I just get more and more frustrated as the game goes along. Flag after flag after flag after flag after flag, reviewed call after reviewed call after reviewed call. I get protecting players, but you just can't protect the QBs and receivers to the extend they're protected, it's a real game changer and you can see the way it's effecting the D. Being hesitant to hit or careful about it just isn't the way you play football...just isn't.
Catches aren't catches and fumbles aren't fumbles anymore. When reviewing plays refs should watch the plays in real time, not frame by frame. That's the way the game is played and that's the way it should be called, I'll take the human error element over what we've got now any day.
Someone forward that idea to the NFL for me, would ya?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I don't use Twitter but here is Goodell's account where you may publicly voice your concerns to him: https://twitter.com/nflcommish?lang=en

Alternately, you may use [email protected]

A couple of years ago I wrote to nfl.com and complained about the excessive length of the games. I recommended that ticky-tacky referee calls be significantly reduced, that the game clock be re-started when the linesman sets the ball after an incomplete pass or side line run, that the clock be started on a kickoff when the ball is kicked, not when received, and that there be fewer game stoppages for commercials. This should reduce the length of a game by about 30 minutes thereby making the game more fun for TV viewers and game attendees. Naturally, I did not get a reply.

Let's hope that the league will heed our advice.

ChairmanOfTheBoard

agreed with all three- i watch less and less- the league has problems, which may be overshadowed by how successful it is (which i chalk up to fantasizing).

with that said- i would like players to be more protected, given that the NFL commoditizes them- and realize we can't have it both ways. i imagine the game may be very different in 10-20 years.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90bc2Z6 ... ure=onebox

Ugh - hated the game but did enjoy watching/hearing Sam Rosen.

Luckily for me, we had youth football (7th and 8th grade) near where I live and saw our 2 teams win.

SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Can't say I disagree with most of these recent comments, which is why I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's NBC's Rugby World Cup broadcast - NZ All Blacks vs Namibia. Even as a total blowout, the match was exciting. Players 6'-6'6" and 200 - 250#, all being able to run up and down the pitch with little to no stoppage in play, and probably just as athletic as most NFL players. No pads/helmets, great tackling.

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/rwc-highli ... s-namibia/
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

7 games into the NFL season, Lamar Jackson now has more rushing yards than 7 NFL teams. (And is tied with one other)

Name/Games/ Att/ Yards
Lamar Jackson 7 83 576
Kansas City Chiefs 7 150 576
Los Angeles Chargers 7 148 520
Atlanta Falcons 7 131 479
Pittsburgh Steelers 6 131 459
Chicago Bears 6 125 420
Miami Dolphins 6 120 400
Cincinnati Bengals 7 128 372
New York Jets 5 104 320
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:21 pm 7 games into the NFL season, Lamar Jackson now has more rushing yards than 7 NFL teams. (And is tied with one other)

Name/Games/ Att/ Yards
Lamar Jackson 7 83 576
Chicago Bears 6 125 420
Miami Dolphins 6 120 400
New York Jets 5 104 320
It’s going to be interesting to see how he does against the Patriots. I can’t predict the future, but I think Belichick will concoct a plan that will have Jackson, and the Ravens, all kinds of confused. I hope I’m wrong because I can’t stand the Patriots.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:26 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:21 pm 7 games into the NFL season, Lamar Jackson now has more rushing yards than 7 NFL teams. (And is tied with one other)

Name/Games/ Att/ Yards
Lamar Jackson 7 83 576
Chicago Bears 6 125 420
Miami Dolphins 6 120 400
New York Jets 5 104 320
It’s going to be interesting to see how he does against the Patriots. I can’t predict the future, but I think Belichick will concoct a plan that will have Jackson, and the Ravens, all kinds of confused. I hope I’m wrong because I can’t stand the Patriots.
Agree on all counts. The issue I've seen is that many teams have very good plans on containing Jackson. But the issue occurs when it comes to executing the plan and seeing his speed and quickness in real time. Jackson makes the fastest guys in the NFL miss on a regular basis. It's quite amazing to watch, actually.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

What will be amazing to me is if Belichick doesn’t come up with a defensive scheme to neutralize Jackson. Look what he did to poor Sam Darnold the other night.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:38 pm What will be amazing to me is if Belichick doesn’t come up with a defensive scheme to neutralize Jackson. Look what he did to poor Sam Darnold the other night.
The Browns ran on the Patriots pretty easily.
Harbaugh should let loose RBs Mark Ingrahm and Gus Edwards.
It will be interesting if Bill can scheme up something to contain Lamar's speed. Because others have tried before.
Best bet is to spy Lamar with not one, but two LBS or safeties, keep him in the pocket and make him pass.
There's going to be opportunities for the Baltimore TEs and WRs, in single coverage, with little over-the-top help.
If Marquise Brown is back and healthy for the Ravens this week, it will help their case to make some big plays. If not, Patriots should handle the Ravens.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

I think Belichick’s licking his chops to game plan against another running quarterback. He’s seen his share in his many years of scheming defensive game plans. I’d love to see the Ravens win but I’m guessing the Pats will take it. We shall see...
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Glad I was wrong. Always nice to see Patriots eat a big dose of humble pie. We won’t have to listen to how great their defense is for a while. They’ll have two long weeks to think about it. But it’s just one regular season game. They lost five of them last year and still won the Super Bowl. We shall see.
njbill

Post by njbill »

My concern is that the Pats are now going to take it out on my Eagles in two weeks. And we don’t have Nick anymore.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”