Cornell 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxjuris

Re: Cornell 2019

Post by laxjuris »

Encouraging tweet from the Maryland scrimage — Cornell “wins” 16-14: https://twitter.com/longstick33/status/ ... 02496?s=21

An earlier tweet said Tria won 8 of 10 face offs in the 1st Q
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

And a new class of 2020 commitment with Fleet Wallace’s brother Walker Wallace, a goalie, set to join the Big Red:
https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/10 ... 63680?s=21
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

And another class of 2020 commitment to add to the defensive corps: https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/10 ... 69601?s=21
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Picked up this link from AreaLax's post on Maryland thread. Nice photos from CU-MD scrimmage yesterday:

https://www.richbarnesphotography.com/2 ... /i-kCvWbLN

another fan

Post by another fan »

Any comments from somebody who saw the scrimmage? All we know is that the play was at a high level, score was close and Tria won 8 of 10 draws. Curious about line ups including midfield units, third D, freshman contributors, goalie play, etc. Come on now-- it's a long haul till February and we need something to hold us over!
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

rmredlax

Post by rmredlax »

was at the scrimmage yesterday and it was a beautiful, fall day in Ithaca!

As noted in the IL lacrosse article it was a very competitive, fairly even game, back and forth and plenty of action. CU took more control of the game in the 3rd/early 4th before players were subbed. Clock had minimal effect and at times, the refs had some issue keeping up with the 20 second rule.

There was no face-guarding JT but the highlight for sure was Connor Fletcer bulldozzing his defender from outside on his run for a goal. Certainly got everyone on the Big Red side and sideline excited.

This should be a fun season!
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Cornell needs a bulldozing middie a la Seibald or Bucsek, especially now with the unfortunate shot clock.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Gobigred wrote:Cornell needs a bulldozing middie a la Seibald or Bucsek, especially now with the unfortunate shot clock.
Fletcher certainly has the size (and speed)-- sounds like he may also have gotten stronger. Telesco can also play a bruising style en route to the cage.
nclaxin

Post by nclaxin »

Who started at attack against Maryland?
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

another fan wrote:
Gobigred wrote:Cornell needs a bulldozing middie a la Seibald or Bucsek, especially now with the unfortunate shot clock.
Fletcher certainly has the size (and speed)-- sounds like he may also have gotten stronger. Telesco can also play a bruising style en route to the cage.
I think Telesco is primed for a big year.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Both the Cornell and UMD Twitter feeds had some great pictures of the game. @Firstteamphoto was retweeted with a picture of Coach Moran on the sidelines and @CoachTillman1 had a photo of Richie addressing the UMD team in the locker room.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Scrimmage highlights: https://youtu.be/ncOSxFfEhiY
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I believe it was two seasons ago when I posted that Cornell's recruiting on the defensive side needed to be very much of a priority. Since then, the coaches have done an excellent job in addressing what was an area of need.

Looking at the current roster, recruiting for o-mids is, IMO, needs to be a high priority. With the exception of Donville and Licciardi, all of the 1st and 2nd line mids are upperclassmen. And unless I'm mistaken, according to the 2019 and 2020 commit lists, the next two incoming freshman classes are small (I believe seven and eight respectively) with only a middie or two in each.

The Ivy arms race is only getting more competitive. As another fan has alluded to, Yale in particular, as well as Princeton and Brown are loaded with incoming talent.
another fan

Post by another fan »

I agree with VRR that the recruiting for defensemen has, and continues to be, very strong. Interestingly, though, it looked from the scrimmage highlights that Patrick Karey may be starting on D. If so, 2 of our 3 starting defensemen would be converted midfielders.

With regard to offensive midfielders, I also agree that it would be nice to see more commitments. On the current roster, freshmen Lombardi and Coyle will likely see time at midfield, although arguably their best position is attack. In the 2019 recruiting class, we will like Blake a lot, but he is currently the only listed midfield recruit. Delaney and Dalton in the 2020 class are both high potential kids at midfield, but we need more. It's pretty late for 2019 absent a flip, but 2020 recruiting is more active.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I also see that Kason Tarbell is not listed on the team roster. I believe that Coach M previously stated that Tarbell would return this season.
I'm assuming that like John Glynn, RP, and Dan Lintner, having already graduated, Tabell is not allowed to return until the the Spring semester.
Having him return makes a huge difference to the team defensively, as it gives the team three, proven, quality ss's.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

VeryRustyRed wrote:I also see that Kason Tarbell is not listed on the team roster. I believe that Coach M previously stated that Tarbell would return this season.
I'm assuming that like John Glynn, RP, and Dan Lintner, having already graduated, Tabell is not allowed to return until the the Spring semester.
Having him return makes a huge difference to the team defensively, as it gives the team three, proven, quality ss's.
I think you’re right, Tarbell should be on the roster come the spring semester. He’ll surely have an important role in the ssdm rotation
lgr2019

Post by lgr2019 »

For those who have asked, the offensive lineup vs. Maryland was:

Attack: Teat, Petterson, Piatelli (no split with Rupp like last season, at least in the scrimmage)
1st Line Mid: Donville, Fletcher, McCulloch
2nd Line: Licciardi, Telesco, Ward

From talking to those around the program it sounds like Coyle and Lombardi (who is out right now with injury) will both battle for that third attack spot, but the middie lines seem pretty set and looked very, very good against Maryland. Lots of time until the spring though and thoughts can change in a flash.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

VeryRustyRed wrote:I also see that Kason Tarbell is not listed on the team roster. I believe that Coach M previously stated that Tarbell would return this season.
"already graduated"?

How would that work?
another fan

Post by another fan »

lgr2019 wrote:For those who have asked, the offensive lineup vs. Maryland was:

Attack: Teat, Petterson, Piatelli (no split with Rupp like last season, at least in the scrimmage)
1st Line Mid: Donville, Fletcher, McCulloch
2nd Line: Licciardi, Telesco, Ward

From talking to those around the program it sounds like Coyle and Lombardi (who is out right now with injury) will both battle for that third attack spot, but the middie lines seem pretty set and looked very, very good against Maryland. Lots of time until the spring though and thoughts can change in a flash.
Thanks. Can you share the defensive lineup, too?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”