Trump's Russian Collusion

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: IMPEACHMENT ... Public Opinion Starting to Turn.

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:18 pm
ToastDunk wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:07 pm Mandatory reading.

Our Republic Is Under Attack From the President
If President Trump doesn’t demonstrate the leadership that America needs, then it is time for a new person in the Oval Office.
By William H. McRaven
Admiral McRaven is a former commander of the United States Special Operations Command.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/17/opin ... e=Homepage

"...As I stood on the parade field at Fort Bragg, one retired four-star general, grabbed my arm, shook me and shouted, “I don’t like the Democrats, but Trump is destroying the Republic!”
Time we heard from General Mattis.
Apparently he let a bit rip at the public dinner tonight...some very funny stuff, then serious.
McGurk was furious tonight.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:29 pm

If President Trump doesn’t demonstrate the leadership that America needs, then it is time for a new person in the Oval Office.
By William H. McRaven
Admiral McRaven is a former commander of the United States Special Operations Command.

"...As I stood on the parade field at Fort Bragg, one retired four-star general, grabbed my arm, shook me and shouted, “I don’t like the Democrats, but Trump is destroying the Republic!”
Apparently he let a bit rip at the public dinner tonight...some very funny stuff, then serious.
McGurk was furious tonight.

How about these:
Secretary Mattis lets loose “I earned my spurs on the battlefield; Donald Trump earned his spurs from the doctor”.
"I’m not just an overrated general. I’m the most overrated general," Mattis says. "I'm honored to be considered that by Donald Trump because he also called Meryl Streep an overrated actress. So I guess I'm the Meryl Streep of generals, and frankly that sounds pretty good to me."
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:20 pm

By William H. McRaven

Old Sycophant has more credibility. Take his word for it.
Too bad things aren't working out as badly as you hoped they would.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:20 am

By William H. McRaven

Point out what I "hoped for".
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:30 am
old salt wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:20 am

By William H. McRaven

Point out what I "hoped for".
One term president? :lol:
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

HooDat wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:19 pm
dislaxxic wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:42 pm Public opinion polls measuring a desire to impeach and remove President Clinton never got above 35%.

Just sayin’...

and he was impeached, but not removed. And IMHO, there would have been a pretty good chance he would have been re-elected if that had been his first term.
TRY to think of the substance here, Hoo. The REASONS the GOP (Gingrich, Graham, etc.) decided to push through with impeachment was PURELY political in the Clinton instance. A lie about a consensual extramarital affair. Seems a bit laughable today, no? the differences in the SUBSTANCE of what is being considered with respect to impeachment. You DO acknowledge the myriad lies this president tells virtually every day. He is VERY likely to be indicted once out of office.

Nixon deserved to be impeached, would you agree? Did Clinton? Does Trump? Trying to say that this current instance is purely political is a lot like telling oneself a pretty serious lie, in my opinion.

People enable and potentially perpetuate this sort of behavior by looking the other wway, making excuses and/or failing to call out this stuff for what it is.

It's called "complicity"

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

ggait wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:06 pmWhile Trump is clearly more at risk than Clinton, he's much much much closer to Clinton than Nixon.
He's closer to Clinton than Nixon because of the makeup of the Senate. Oh, and the fact that THIS particular Senate is made up of a bunch of stone MORONS when it comes to hypocrisy.

Trump is much, much, MUCH closer to Nixon in the level of wrongdoing and venality. Add the total incompetence factor and the point really is that if our government does NOT pull the trigger on impeachment in this instance, well, then we're muc, much, MUCH further up the river with no paddle than we previously thought...

remember the "flow" of public opinion in the case of Nixon? it took a major nosedive right at the end...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

MICK MULVANEY CONFESSES OMB AND DOD ARE WITHHOLDING EVIDENCE OF A CRIME FROM CONGRESS

"As noted by Mulvaney today, a law passed in the wake of Richard Nixon playing games with appropriations requires that if you withhold duly appropriated funds, you explain to Congress why you’re doing so, a decision that Congress then gets to veto simply by refusing to approve of the decision. The law makes it clear that the President can’t simply ignore the will of Congress on appropriations.

And yet, that’s what Trump did for the entirety of the summer.

Worse, in his press conference today, Mulvaney admitted that Trump didn’t have a “really really good reason not to” release the funds. Rather, he had a really bad reason: he was trying to extort a quid pro quo."

Where are all our "no quid pro quo" posters now??

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:21 am MICK MULVANEY CONFESSES OMB AND DOD ARE WITHHOLDING EVIDENCE OF A CRIME FROM CONGRESS

"As noted by Mulvaney today, a law passed in the wake of Richard Nixon playing games with appropriations requires that if you withhold duly appropriated funds, you explain to Congress why you’re doing so, a decision that Congress then gets to veto simply by refusing to approve of the decision. The law makes it clear that the President can’t simply ignore the will of Congress on appropriations.

Worse, in his press conference today, Mulvaney admitted that Trump didn’t have a “really really good reason not to” release the funds. Rather, he had a really bad reason: he was trying to extort a quid pro quo."

This might really bum you out Disslaxx, but I (and likely most Americans) aren't really tuned into this stuff - ie, don't care. Prefer my politicians to focus on matters that affect us via our wallet, health, civil rights, and security. Impeachment imo is a distraction of the highest order.

And before you call me a Trumper, please note I will vote for Joe Biden above all others in 2020, should be get the Democrat's nod.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:21 am MICK MULVANEY CONFESSES OMB AND DOD ARE WITHHOLDING EVIDENCE OF A CRIME FROM CONGRESS

This is classic Trump-word-salad. You have to learn how to break the code. ;)

The Clown car thinks if you commit a crime and admit it in public, it's actually not a crime. :roll:
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

As I have for the last 35 years, I attended The Al Smith Dinner. It is a fund-raising event held in NYC and is among the more iconic events held in NY every year. Because it is a local event (has never been held in D.C., Baltimore, Boston or The Doral), I imagine very few FanLax folks may have heard of The Dinner.

Our table, one of many GS alumnae tables scattered throughout The Hilton, was buzzing about Slick Mick's bizarre public confession. Many in our group are registered Republicans and gave $$$$ to Trump's successful 2016 campaign. Then, General Mattis moved to the mic...a pin-drop moment.

We pretty much agreed that the General's wry comments were among the best given at The Dinner in decades. Thought Cardinal Dolan was going to keel over with laughter. Once again, a Squatload of money was raised. The money is used to support the disenfranchised no matter their race, religion or political affiliation.

N.B.Trump only hires the best people. Acting COS Mick's is da' man. On the other hand, General Mattis is the most overrated General in the world. Who hired General Mattis?

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CARMEN SAN DIEGO AND BILLIE BOY BARR :?:
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:33 amThis might really bum you out Disslaxx, but I (and likely most Americans) aren't really tuned into this stuff - ie, don't care. Prefer my politicians to focus on matters that affect us via our wallet, health, civil rights, and security. Impeachment imo is a distraction of the highest order.
Fair enough. What has this guy done for "our wallet, health, civil rights and security"? Are you happy with how those items have been handled?

Would also point out that many of our right-leaning friends around here (not you, i know) are interesting in nothing BUT the "extra-curricular stuff when there is a D in the Oval office. Guess it's OK for them to now look the other way on all this fluff and want to focus on the "important stuff" of the governance of our great country...

CU88

Post by CU88 »

So what would happen to, say, an Army procurement officer if he directed a no-bid contract to a company he owned?
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:33 am

This might really bum you out Disslaxx, but I (and likely most Americans) aren't really tuned into this stuff - ie, don't care. Prefer my politicians to focus on matters that affect us via our wallet, health, civil rights, and security. Impeachment imo is a distraction of the highest order.

And before you call me a Trumper, please note I will vote for Joe Biden above all others in 2020, should be get the Democrat's nod.
While I don't disagree, PB, what do you do with a Prez like this? Yes, impeachment is a huge distraction but the Prez is an even bigger one, and I do believe the leaders in the rest of the world play this guy like a fiddle and see him for the blow hard buffoon that he is. There are charts out there that show the economy was on the rise long before this idiot entered the Oval Office and is just continuing on the swing it was on before Trump. He's done nothing to improve "health" (assuming you mean health insurance here), the insurance industry is as corrupt as it ever was and continues to prey on those in need. I sure don't see how civil rights and security have improved one iota with this embarrassment in office. I'm not a D or R guy, it's not about parties to me, it's about the character of the man. Even his supporters will say he's not fit for office, so what other than impeachment do you do?
Just as an insignificant and meaningless side, I've always found the X factor in dis' name to be an interesting little study (and he knows this). It's amazing how many people will double up the S...the X factor?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

CU88 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:21 am So what would happen to, say, an Army procurement officer if he directed a no-bid contract to a company he owned?
What is "Get over it" (Mick Mulvaney)? Self-Dealing for 600 Alex....
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:02 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:33 amThis might really bum you out Disslaxx, but I (and likely most Americans) aren't really tuned into this stuff - ie, don't care. Prefer my politicians to focus on matters that affect us via our wallet, health, civil rights, and security. Impeachment imo is a distraction of the highest order.
Fair enough. What has this guy done for "our wallet, health, civil rights and security"? Are you happy with how those items have been handled?

Would take too long to answer each, but a quick reply is:

Median average income is up massively in 2.5 years (see other thread on financials); grade him an A
Health: he has failed miserably, as have all others before him (I am in favor of a public option medicare for all); grade him an F
Civil rights: I believe he is at least on the side of free speech, has done more for imprisoned Americans than anyone, so grade him a B
Security: I am anti-war, so I like his decisions on the margin...not all. Grade: C+
a fan

Post by a fan »

Trinity wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:05 pm Mick— We did it. Totally had a quid pro quo.
Mick messed up. —Trump’s lawyers
Trump is on his own— DoJ
The ineptitude of these villains is staggering.
Oh, that's nothing. You're forgetting just how inept Republican voters are. Trump and Co. are admitting all the corrupt stuff they're doing, and R voters STILL don't believe them.

Go ahead and ask them. They'll tell you things like "Trump didn't ask the Ukranian President to investigate Biden".

Then you show the video where Trump said he did precisely that.

Then they'll say "well, i'm waiting for more evidence to come out".

Insane. These people are insane.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:02 am

Would also point out that many of our right-leaning friends around here (not you, i know) are interesting in nothing BUT the "extra-curricular stuff when there is a D in the Oval office. Guess it's OK for them to now look the other way on all this fluff and want to focus on the "important stuff" of the governance of our great country...
This Peter's declaration that he doesn't care about Legal Process and upholding an oath of office, reminds me of the folks at the outset of Trump's campaign. To wit those who unashamedly declared they DIDN'T CARE ABOUT TRUMP'S MORAL COMPASS or lack of same. :roll:

A wife is just a wife. People change their socks, don't they? So what if he stuck "we the people" with covering his 4-5 bankruptcies? If he chooses to refuse to pay workers and contractors....who givzza?

I have no idea if MOST AMERICANS "don't care". I can only speak for myself. I know I don't want my grandkids and greatgrandchildren to grow up in the BRAVE NEW WORLD Trump wishes to create. His attempts to DISTRACT the Populus in my little corner of the U.S. is sickening...IMO. Obviously, this Peter is OK with that. :!:

À chacun son goût.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:40 am Median average income is up massively in 2.5 years (see other thread on financials); grade him an A
Now you know why the R's wouldn't allow Obama to pass spending bills. Voters don't pay attention to WHY the economy is better.

And now you also know why Trump and the R"s passed three massive spending bills, handing out record amounts of socialism.

Guys like P Brown don't care WHY the economy is good.

Hey Pete, when the bill for all this borrowed money arrives, can I take a wild guess and say you'll blame the President who has to pay for all this wasteful spending, and hold him accountable for the severe recession?

Pete won't hold Trump responsible for the coming mess. Trump, of course, knows this. Trump would cut taxes and double spending before the election if he had the chance.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wahoomurf wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:52 am As I have for the last 35 years, I attended The Al Smith Dinner. It is a fund-raising event held in NYC and is among the more iconic events held in NY every year. Because it is a local event (has never been held in D.C., Baltimore, Boston or The Doral), I imagine very few FanLax folks may have heard of The Dinner.

Our table, one of many GS alumnae tables scattered throughout The Hilton, was buzzing about Slick Mick's bizarre public confession. Many in our group are registered Republicans and gave $$$$ to Trump's successful 2016 campaign. Then, General Mattis moved to the mic...a pin-drop moment.

We pretty much agreed that the General's wry comments were among the best given at The Dinner in decades. Thought Cardinal Dolan was going to keel over with laughter. Once again, a Squatload of money was raised. The money is used to support the disenfranchised no matter their race, religion or political affiliation.

N.B.Trump only hires the best people. Acting COS Mick's is da' man. On the other hand, General Mattis is the most overrated General in the world. Who hired General Mattis?

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CARMEN SAN DIEGO AND BILLIE BOY BARR :?:
I suspect you would be wrong about this. Al Smith is certainly very well known in the US. Any group discussing US politics has got to be pretty aware of this event. Perhaps the average LAX fan would not be.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”