Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Drcthru

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by Drcthru »

I believe that Brian Brecht at Rutgers is one of the most out-of-control coaches on the sidelines when his team is not doing well.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Lax.com shot video without being accosted?
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

WomBatCrazy and DeepMeaningfulConversation lol
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

stupefied wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:10 pm WomBatCrazy and DeepMeaningfulConversation lol
Don’t worry, I went to User Control Panel and flipped the Foe switch on several people today. So, that’s the end of that.
PeteStreet

Post by PeteStreet »

Drcthru wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:28 pm I believe that Brian Brecht at Rutgers is one of the most out-of-control coaches on the sidelines when his team is not doing well.
And when they’re doing “well”. He had the most undeserving, smug excitement and overconfidence when his team was beating/beat Hopkins in 2016 when Petro was out for his lower back infection and half the offense was out for injury.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

The Inside lacrosse notes are really not worth reading. When one goalie came off the field he was greeted by the other three? Really Petro? While I admit that it would have been news if the 3 had tried to kick the other goalie in the nuts but I don't think I needed that tidbit. The only two things I saw in print that were mildly interesting:
- Giacalone was the goalie that played the most - 3 quarters in one of the scrimmages apparently and Petro said he played "well"
- Forry Smith was identified as a mid-fielder

Obviously, neither point means anything with respect to the spring but as said - mildly interesting
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

The players cited in the article as "doing well" or "helping themselves" were:

Giacalone , Jake Calnan, Logan Blondell, Eddy Glassmeyer, Matt Hubler, Forry Smith, Jack Keogh and Garrett Degnon

Calnan, Blondell, and Degnon are all 6'4". Size certainly doesn't hurt at this level.
I have high hopes for Glassmeyer and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Degnon get minutes at midfield.
Giacolone got 3 quarters against Penn and 1 quarter against Army. Given that the other 3 goalies split the remaining time, the PT math suggests
JG may have the inside track in goal. Perhaps wishful thinking on my part.
Last edited by Sagittarius A* on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:10 am The Inside lacrosse notes are really not worth reading. When one goalie came off the field he was greeted by the other three? Really Petro? While I admit that it would have been news if the 3 had tried to kick the other goalie in the nuts but I don't think I needed that tidbit. The only two things I saw in print that were mildly interesting:
- Giacalone was the goalie that played the most - 3 quarters in one of the scrimmages apparently and Petro said he played "well"
- Forry Smith was identified as a mid-fielder

Obviously, neither point means anything with respect to the spring but as said - mildly interesting
Also sorta notable that he mentioned a few guys by name. He doesn’t always do that. Degnon and Calnan specifically.

If you could bet on such things, it certainly appears as though the smart money is on Giacalone as “the favorite” based on the fall, though of course that may change before February.

We never seem to scrimmage very well against Army, though it sounds as though the Jays played pretty well against Penn.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I haven’t seen the IL report but I was told that the Jays lost to UPenn and tied Army. Not sure of the accuracy of that. Also heard the Jays did not make it through the day unscathed.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

"WELL" is a very broad term and it needs context. I would venture to say every scrimmage I ever saw in person would have given way to a characterization that a certain reserve attackman played "well" when he was on the team. Seemed like he scored 2-3 or more goals every time. Never saw the field. Maybe Calnan or Degnon did play "well" - maybe it was in the last 15 minutes against the Army or Penn subs. Maybe it wasn't but I wouldn't take anything away from Petro throwing out a few names even though he may not do it all the time. Giving Giacalone 4 of the 8 quarters of playing time is way more significant but it may mean nothing as well
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:47 am I haven’t seen the IL report but I was told that the Jays lost to UPenn and tied Army. Not sure of the accuracy of that. Also heard the Jays did not make it through the day unscathed.

Army did not look as sharp yesterday as they did last year in Albany. If one is making projections based upon yesterday, Penn will be very good again this year. I think Army will take a step back, and I didn't get a chance to see Hopkins. I did get a chance to speak with a few guys we know and then seemed reasonably pleased with the day, but still as you would expect a lot to work on.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

flalax22 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:47 am I haven’t seen the IL report but I was told that the Jays lost to UPenn and tied Army. Not sure of the accuracy of that. Also heard the Jays did not make it through the day unscathed.
Possible ACL. Not sure who.

Not Joey, so exhale.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Put that kid in bubble wrap. Don't want to see him again until February.

If someone can figure out who may or may not have blown out a knee, that'd be grand.
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:54 am "WELL" is a very broad term and it needs context. I would venture to say every scrimmage I ever saw in person would have given way to a characterization that a certain reserve attackman played "well" when he was on the team. Seemed like he scored 2-3 or more goals every time. Never saw the field. Maybe Calnan or Degnon did play "well" - maybe it was in the last 15 minutes against the Army or Penn subs. Maybe it wasn't but I wouldn't take anything away from Petro throwing out a few names even though he may not do it all the time. Giving Giacalone 4 of the 8 quarters of playing time is way more significant but it may mean nothing as well
I'm more interested in Petro's own words that Calnan "helped himself"—the implication of that being that he helped himself into a better position/some consideration for playing time, I think is a reasonable conclusion. Reading between the lines, there seems to be some competition for PT (we know for a fact there is at least one open spot on the close defense, and probably an LSM spot and man-down D). If not that, then in what other way could he possibly have "helped himself"?
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

DaneFan wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:07 am

Army did not look as sharp yesterday as they did last year in Albany. If one is making projections based upon yesterday, Penn will be very good again this year. I think Army will take a step back, and I didn't get a chance to see Hopkins. I did get a chance to speak with a few guys we know and then seemed reasonably pleased with the day, but still as you would expect a lot to work on.
Did u get new glasses, Army took care of Albany with starters I, had Hopkins 6 to 3 at half. There D will be better then last year.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:19 pm
stupefied wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:10 pm WomBatCrazy and DeepMeaningfulConversation lol
Don’t worry, I went to User Control Panel and flipped the Foe switch on several people today. So, that’s the end of that.
Glad to hear.
Peace once more, at the LP backup stick :!:
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

Lenwood117 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Did u get new glasses, Army took care of Albany with starters I, had Hopkins 6 to 3 at half. There D will be better then last year.
Not going to get back and forth with you on a Hopkins forum, but that was a direct quote to me from one of the Army coaches.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

10stone5 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:36 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:19 pm
Glad to hear.
Peace once more, at the LP backup stick :!:
Yep. Still don’t get why he won’t let me express my condolences without interrupting the process by throwing firebombs. Sorry for the mess of firing back, but admin let us have at it, and I’m not putting up with it anymore. I have unfinished business at paying my tributes, but I obviously can’t do it here. I’ll get closure later, elsewhere.

Back to lacrosse: I believe the ACL is among the names mentioned yesterday as doing “well”. I’m not sure if that’s a statement of health, disinformation, or just accidental slipping a name in among many other names despite someone’s year being potentially over. Probably the latter.

Let’s see if someone can exhibit some self-control and not reply to this and leave me alone.

W
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

DaneFan wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:06 pm
Lenwood117 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Not going to get back and forth with you on a Hopkins forum, but that was a direct quote to me from one of the Army coaches.
No way the coaches told u an Albany guy that, but I will move on.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:33 pm I think we need to worry about China. If they get hold of those videos it could jump start their lacrosse programs and they could win the World Games in 2022. Then the stock market would crash and a whole chain of negative events would ensue.

OMG. There could have been opposing coaches in the stands watching the alumni game. I just thought about that. The Jays should be smart and proactive and cancel fall ball and scrimmages completely. Why take chances?
Before the film exchange policy went into effect and there was live scouting, the convention in D-1 sports (and it turns out in the NFL, too) was an opponent couldn't scout any activity that didn't charge admission. That put most intrasquad and alumni games off limits.

One year Daniel Snyder tried to make more money for his NFL team by charging admission for training camp. It lasted only one day because the stands were loaded with scouts from the other teams who were perfectly within NFL rules to be there because admission was charged.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/11 ... 9726503943
IL’s No. 21 junior Jojo Todaro, LSM/D, Carey (N.Y.) / @ICONLongIsland has switched from @CuseMLAX to @JHUmenslacrosse. Arguably the most dominant defender at @ShowtimeLax, Todaro made his presence felt all over the field
You love to see it.

No one tell DMac that Cuse just lost their best recruit to the Jays. Guess some kids don't care about their coaches' physical appearance.

Hopkins 2021 class now has two 5-star defenders, another 4-star defender and a 4-star goalie.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”