Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by HopFan16 »

It sounds like academics aren't an issue if Yale, Duke, etc. are part of the conversation. That was one reason I thought they might not want to go to Hopkins. But if they're smart kids who are focused on school...then that can't be it. Then, why? Don't want dad to be coach too? Want to choose your own path? I get that. As good as the kid is, it'd be tough to carve out your own identity independent of your father's legacy. Though obviously I selfishly hope he ends up at Homewood because by all accounts he seems like quite the lacrosse player. I don't know anything about the other twin, though I presume he's quite talented as well.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:28 pm
As HoB noted, some of it has to do with other schools, although that doesn’t exactly apply with an Alumni Game.
Maybe the alums don't want people to see how fat and slow they've become.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:58 pm It sounds like academics aren't an issue if Yale, Duke, etc. are part of the conversation. That was one reason I thought they might not want to go to Hopkins. But if they're smart kids who are focused on school...then that can't be it. Then, why? Don't want dad to be coach too? Want to choose your own path? I get that. As good as the kid is, it'd be tough to carve out your own identity independent of your father's legacy. Though obviously I selfishly hope he ends up at Homewood because by all accounts he seems like quite the lacrosse player. I don't know anything about the other twin, though I presume he's quite talented as well.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:28 pm
As HoB noted, some of it has to do with other schools, although that doesn’t exactly apply with an Alumni Game.
Maybe the alums don't want people to see how fat and slow they've become.
+1
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Hoponboard wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:56 pm Why now? After all these years? What has changed? Remember these are not full game videos. They are snippets of action that show Hopkins in a positive light. Heck, most of the freshmen will not even see the field once the season begins.

Tactically, it’s like Tillman showing nothing against the Jays—-that produced two Hop wins last season. If you don’t believe me, compare how the Terps played against UVA in the ‘goal heard around the world’ tournament game vs. how they played against Hop.
just a guess but it competes against their own Pravda pieces that send out via social media. Second, if they allow you to use their stuff, it weakens their ability to go after someone that is really using the videos for commerical purposes. Similar to NFL going after people that use Super Bowl or churches that rebroadcast the Super Bowl to raise donations.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:58 pm It sounds like academics aren't an issue if Yale, Duke, etc. are part of the conversation. That was one reason I thought they might not want to go to Hopkins. But if they're smart kids who are focused on school...then that can't be it. Then, why? Don't want dad to be coach too? Want to choose your own path?
I grew up in a college town, near the campus where my dad was a professor. I did not want to go to that home-town college, first and foremost because doing so would have seemed rather like a continuation of high school; for me, going to college meant leaving home. There were other reasons, like specific academic programs/departments. I knew some fellow "faculty brats" who chose to stick around and go to that same college; fine, we all should be able to choose for ourselves.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Hoponboard wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:56 pm Why now? After all these years? What has changed? Remember these are not full game videos. They are snippets of action that show Hopkins in a positive light. Heck, most of the freshmen will not even see the field once the season begins.

Tactically, it’s like Tillman showing nothing against the Jays—-that produced two Hop wins last season. If you don’t believe me, compare how the Terps played against UVA in the ‘goal heard around the world’ tournament game vs. how they played against Hop.
OK, here is a limited explanation:

Apparently, and this was news to me, a few years ago lacrosse implemented a mandatory film exchange, starting with a team’s first regular season game.

I’m still conversing on this and it’s going to take the rest of the week - someone is going to be away a bit. But I’ll continue to follow up on Friday.

It’s rather interesting - I’m now conjecturing that this mandatory film exchange business might explain why so few mid-week games are played anymore. That would give a weekend opponent one extra full game to scout.

Anyway - I haven’t googled it or dug into it (I’m trying to work!), but that mandatory film exchange is apparently what has changed and is what you’ve unfortunately gotten caught up in.

That’s the best info I have at the moment. I don’t like what happened to you, and I’ve been there to some degree (writing, photos, and hilarious credential stories, but not video).

It sucks.

We can pass info by PM too.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

So the mandatory film exchange starts with the first real in-season game. This has exactly what to do with fall ball? I’m not following the logic here.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Opposing coaches alert: Wait for it.......
Wait for it.......The star of the Alumni game was......
..........Brock Turnbaugh, who made numerous excellent saves in the 2nd half to keep our undergrads below 25 goals. Chew on that revealing information.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:28 pm

OK, here is a limited explanation:

Apparently, and this was news to me, a few years ago lacrosse implemented a mandatory film exchange, starting with a team’s first regular season game.

I’m still conversing on this and it’s going to take the rest of the week - someone is going to be away a bit. But I’ll continue to follow up on Friday.

It’s rather interesting - I’m now conjecturing that this mandatory film exchange business might explain why so few mid-week games are played anymore. That would give a weekend opponent one extra full game to scout.

Anyway - I haven’t googled it or dug into it (I’m trying to work!), but that mandatory film exchange is apparently what has changed and is what you’ve unfortunately gotten caught up in.

That’s the best info I have at the moment. I don’t like what happened to you, and I’ve been there to some degree (writing, photos, and hilarious credential stories, but not video).

It sucks.

We can pass info by PM too.
Film exchange has been going on for years. There is no live scouting. Coaches exchange film. Been going on for at least 6 years if not longer.
“I wish you would!”
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:41 pm So the mandatory film exchange starts with the first real in-season game. This has exactly what to do with fall ball? I’m not following the logic here.
I'm with you. How does film exchange for actual games have anything to do with this? Sounds like BS.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Thank you Wombat for your inquiries, but film exchange is not the issue here.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I’m not saying I agree with it, especially not for the Alumni Game.

You’ll have to let me know sometime what was said to you. It might have been more of a preemptive strike against filming next weekend, when other coaches could complain about film of their teams.

But, I think it’s pretty clear where the chief complaint came from on Saturday.

I rarely go to games at all anymore. I’m tired of it.

Navy will be a fun local team to watch, and donate to, if you are looking for some alternatives. You might actually be welcomed.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

What? We still have fans? Over-enthusiastic adult fans on this board? I sometimes grit my teeth, but it is a little easier when I try to practice gratitude first. Over-enthusiastic adult fans in the stands? I am doubly grateful. Sophomores acting sophomoric? I was one once at Byrd, and I received some avuncular advice from some ancient, doubtless roughly my present age, and he reminded me of who I was and whom I was representing.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I’m not sure how to characterize the small cross-section of the Hopkins fan base present here, or that of other schools.

I know a lot are currently missing and didn’t transfer over from the battlefields of LP. Or, once they got here, squelched themselves, perhaps due to the state of the program.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Gresham’s Law.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:57 am Gresham’s Law.
Then why are we still here?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Fewer and fewer are. I enjoy the fantasy league.

The days when you could gain an insight or learn more about the history etc.are mostly gone. You noted not many people came over and offered an explanation. You didn’t account for many I know that used to be regulars on LP. Thought I would tell you why many I know didn’t
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Very unfortunate video incident aside, I am interested to hear some more thoughts from anyone who was at the game about, you know, the actual lacrosse. Based on photos it looks like a few guys weren't dressed.

If they're not going to allow highlights, written reports become that much more important. Hopefully some of us will be in attendance at Penn this weekend. Two quality opponents should help the Jays gauge just how much work they have to do...
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Marc Pion, Hayden Fox, Quinn Chambers, Jacob Brunner, John Cohen and Cole Finley-Ponds were not dressed.

Jack Burnett was in a boot.
GSP

Post by GSP »

How can you expect to deal with the steady decline of Blue Jay lacrosse when this Board refuses to even deal with the real issues that are unarguably holding this once proud program back?
I have friends who work in the Athletic Director's office and others who have intimate contact with those within the lacrosse program itself. The issues are obvious. It has recently come to light that some of the strawberries from the player's locker room fridge have gone missing. Once the theft was discovered, Coach Petro and his staff were on it in a snap. There was no requisition slip signed so Coach Petro questioned the entire office Staff while Coach Dwan, and Coach Benson each instantly volunteered to interrogate half of the squad. Coach Petro wisely assigned Coach Dwan to the Juniors and Seniors because he realized that the underclassmen might feel more comfortable opening up to Coach Robbie because of his height advantage.

There had been some initial trepidation that the culprit might turn out to be a former 5 star recruit whose availability might be crucial to the attainment of the Staff's goal of achieving a .500 record next Spring. Those fears were quickly allayed however when both of them produced solid alibis.
No one has admitted to the theft however Coach Petro has canvassed the local hardware stores to see if any of them had been induced to make a duplicate key to the team snack fridge Although no one has yet been accused, Coach Petro, taking a page from the OJ Simpson playbook, has vowed to spend the rest of his days if necessary, searching for the miscreants in order "that those who have contributed so generously to the Hopkins 100 will not have done so in vain!" Coach Petro, leaving no stone unturned in his attempt to hang on, has recently enlisted his best friend, Bill Belichick in his quest to get the bottom of the red fruit caper as Bill is universally recognized as an expert in how someone might go about planning such an endeavor.
I will keep you abreast of further developments.
DMac

Post by DMac »

C'mon, this is a no brainer. Of course Dwan volunteered to be on the investigating team, what better front?
He ate 'em...with whipped cream from the can he keeps in his drawer of course.
Case closed.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”