Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

OCanada wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:05 pm Daniels would be totally inappropriate and counter productive if anyone wants to actually get something accomplished
I’ve started a query much lower and well elevate until I get something other than crickets.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:30 pm so 60% of the 2021 5 stars are gone - Michigan has 1, Penn State has 1 and Maryland has 2
On the heels of an 18 person class that garnered a non Top 10 ranking - we have not snared any of the hyped fish
It's interesting to say the least
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:23 pm Of the remaining 2021 five-stars, one is from Culver where Petro has recruited very well, one was Murphy's teammate at AOF, and one goes to Landon. I'd say we have a decent shot to land one of those guys.
Ask and ye shall receive. I should buy a lottery ticket.

Jays get their "5-star" in the 2021 class: Landon LSM/D Jake Cohen. Ranked #16 overall.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/50129

Class is shaping up nicely. It could use an attackman, though I'm guessing they're not super worried about the position given Grimes and McDermott arrive the year before and possibly Little Petro the year after.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

You shouldn’t be writing anything. You weren’t the one involved in the incident. If I got a complaint I would really have them get in touch with me.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

OCanada wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:23 pm You shouldn’t be writing anything. You weren’t the one involved in the incident. If I got a complaint I would really have them get in touch with me.
I’ve been involved in prior incidents and can testify to a LONG pattern of behavior that has long been in need of corrective action.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

was cornell willis in midseason form?
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

What a wreck, and it's only October. It's as if there has been nothing learned over the past few years...nothing at all. I'm anticipating a year of minor incidents wreaking prolonged havoc.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

It seems to me to be a question of is there a policy or no. If there isn’t there should be one way or the other. If there is should it be changed. That is the issue.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

The current standard is uncontrolled hooliganism, omerta, and a disdain for the dedicated fan base, even toward the most dedicated fans.

The Hopkins 100 was Seth Tierney’s idea, implemented before he left. What do you get for that once a year interaction? A speech that has been laughably repetitive. The main thing is taking your money. And if it weren’t for the money, the event would have been killed off long ago.

Policy? Okay, cover use of cellphone cameras too, by parents, of their paying kids.

Policy? You think the coaches of baseball and football do draconian things like this?

Hopkins better have goons to go into the stands and enforce a uniform policy that covers ALL of their sports, not just the privileged D1 coach on a pedestal.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

First off, I would like to add my thanks to HOB for all his time and effort from which I was a beneficiary. As to contacting Hopkins its not a great mystery - I think I have sent dp43 3 emails in my life - twice I saw recruits I thought he needed to think about if he was not already and once I thought a group of Hopkins students were so out of control and profane that it needed to be said and it takes alot for me to think something is out of control and profane. Everytime - I believe - he responded personally (one could tell) within 24 hours. So my experience has been that if you ask why you will get a response - you might not like it but he will explain his reasoning (assuming he knows and is responsible for what happened with HOB).
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:47 pm Ask and ye shall receive. I should buy a lottery ticket.

Jays get their "5-star" in the 2021 class: Landon LSM/D Jake Cohen. Ranked #16 overall.

Class is shaping up nicely. It could use an attackman, though I'm guessing they're not super worried about the position given Grimes and McDermott arrive the year before and possibly Little Petro the year after.
Hate to be the bearer of rumored bad news and we always knew this was a good possibility anyway but in the very rare instance where I have a decent source - I have been told the twins will not be honing their craft at Homewood Field - regardless of whether Pops is the coach. Things can always change in a year.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hmm. Wonder what they have been reading on the Net. They are not equally talented. J Tucker’s son didn’t stay either. He went to VA
Last edited by OCanada on Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:34 pm was cornell willis in midseason form?
Of course. The uber fan was in full voice. Even in an empty stadium he loves to attract attention to himself.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:46 am Hmm. Wonder what they have been reading on the Net. They are not equally talented. J Tucker’s don didn’t stay either. He went to VA
Your attempts to be brief lead once again to uncertainty as to the meaning. "What they have been reading on the net" I don't know whether you are referring to me or the twins but not "reading" anything - obviously second to third hand to fourth hand telephone can relay - but the people involved (other than me) would know what they are talking about. Doesn't happen often - but worlds collided to put me in a rare situation to hear insider viewpoints. Yes Dom is the one everybody wants but as can easily happen Nicholas could come on later than his brother - who knows. Dom is likely a generational player and it's too bad if true for Hopkins and their fans but one can think of a gazillion reasons to choose another school whether Dad is the coach or Dad is not the coach. And allow for the fact that this is all verbal speculation and a year from now we can all laugh at what an idiot I was. I have a sneaking suspicion however, if there are any Hopkins Judge Smails out there hugging there favorite lacrosse stick whispering "Dom, Dom, Dom, Dom" they are going to be disappointed.

'06 I don't know why you have a fascination with the "#1 Hopkins fan" - but he is an arsehat - at least in terms of his game day behavior.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:09 am First off, I would like to add my thanks to HOB for all his time and effort from which I was a beneficiary. As to contacting Hopkins its not a great mystery - I think I have sent dp43 3 emails in my life - twice I saw recruits I thought he needed to think about if he was not already and once I thought a group of Hopkins students were so out of control and profane that it needed to be said and it takes alot for me to think something is out of control and profane. Everytime - I believe - he responded personally (one could tell) within 24 hours. So my experience has been that if you ask why you will get a response - you might not like it but he will explain his reasoning (assuming he knows and is responsible for what happened with HOB).
I appreciate all the supportive comments. I’ve always kept such a low profile, I don’t think the coaches know who I am. Although, Ernie contacted me last February to take down the High Point scrimmage video. Apparently, their coach was upset by the YouTube posting. I can’t say it disadvantaged them since they upset UVA and Duke in their first two games. A decent slice of viewers for that video came from Japan, a country not known as a hotbed of lax espionage.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I think we need to worry about China. If they get hold of those videos it could jump start their lacrosse programs and they could win the World Games in 2022. Then the stock market would crash and a whole chain of negative events would ensue.

OMG. There could have been opposing coaches in the stands watching the alumni game. I just thought about that. The Jays should be smart and proactive and cancel fall ball and scrimmages completely. Why take chances?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I suspect you are right 51%. I don’t their academics but I am pretty sure he wants the twins to focus on academics. If they are talented enough I can see them at HPY or Duke.

When their choices are announced I will probably be proven wrong. I worked with one of DPs neighbors.

I should add UNC
Last edited by OCanada on Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:24 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:47 pm Ask and ye shall receive. I should buy a lottery ticket.

Hate to be the bearer of rumored bad news and we always knew this was a good possibility anyway but in the very rare instance where I have a decent source - I have been told the twins will not be honing their craft at Homewood Field - regardless of whether Pops is the coach. Things can always change in a year.
Coach Pietramala’s boys should choose whatever school is right for them. After all, his boys don’t owe Hopkins a thing ... except for the food on their table, the clothes on their back, their home, health insurance, school tuition, and possibly their very existence.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I’ve gotten a reply, and learned a couple of things.

I’m still processing.

As HoB noted, some of it has to do with other schools, although that doesn’t exactly apply with an Alumni Game.

In general, it’s more about passing along your own state secrets.

There’s a technological solution for this.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I sure hope they take their best opportunity. Personally I would like them @ JHU. Failing that Yale following our daughter would be nice.

Who knows maybe they don’t read the internet.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Why now? After all these years? What has changed? Remember these are not full game videos. They are snippets of action that show Hopkins in a positive light. Heck, most of the freshmen will not even see the field once the season begins.

Tactically, it’s like Tillman showing nothing against the Jays—-that produced two Hop wins last season. If you don’t believe me, compare how the Terps played against UVA in the ‘goal heard around the world’ tournament game vs. how they played against Hop.
Last edited by Hoponboard on Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”