Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by molo »

I stopped going to scrimmages not long after my exchange with the best coach in DI history and one who was fortunate to coach at Penn, Hopkins, and Towson.
molo

Post by molo »

As far as I know, the defending champs are pretty open with practices and scrimmages. Fairly detailed coverage on thesabre.com didn't seem to hurt much. Are Hopkins' regular season practices closed to the public? I don't recall that they were shrouded in secrecy when I lived in the area, but that goes back to the end of Zim's regime and the beginning of Tony's.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:59 pm I have to disagree for no good reason other than I have met with her and like her and it is not a new issue with the coaches. I wonder what Wombat thinks is more likely

Personally I think this one is on the staff. They have been sensitive to note taking and the internet for a very long time.
The current Hopkins coaching staff should probably focus on winning a lot of games this year and not worry about the fans in the stands trying to make them look good.

HOB and other fans like him (and I’m not sure there are any fans quite like him) should be getting a handshake and some thanks, not the crappy disrespect they showed him.

Besides, if their offensive and defensive schemes were worth more than the paper they’re written on, then a few fan videos of scrimmages won’t impact their effectiveness.

Seriously, coaches, stop being a$$h*les.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

molo wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:07 pm As far as I know, the defending champs are pretty open with practices and scrimmages. Fairly detailed coverage on thesabre.com didn't seem to hurt much. Are Hopkins' regular season practices closed to the public? I don't recall that they were shrouded in secrecy when I lived in the area, but that goes back to the end of Zim's regime and the beginning of Tony's.
Exactly. If the national champs have an open policy, why not a team that got bounced in the first round?

@DocBarrister
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

They had a COW for years over my clipboard.

A clipboard!

And don’t get me started on my tenure at laxnews.com covering Hopkins. That made me enemy #1.

I will tell you who supported me at one point during the laxnews.com fiasco - Coach Bill Dwan. He had asked me about the clipboard once, probably around 2002. Well before laxnews.

But the HMFIC? I’m an enemy of the state.

So, clipboard versus a camera on a tripod?

Color me surprised that HoB hasn’t been hassled a lot more.

But when Hopkins sucks, and they have Sucked for a long time, with a capital S, they lash out.

Anyway, OC - I stopped donating around 2009. I could see the on the field product turning to c-r-a-p, and I take issue, and still do, with Coach abandoning the team after the 2008 semifinal win against Duke at Foxboro so that he could ride off in a limo for a night on the town with Belichick. The loss two days later to Cuse didn’t surprise me. Coach had become famous and had more important things to do with his VIP friend.

They haven’t done dick in the playoffs since that limo. Except for one year when two Stanwicks carried them as far as they could. And that run produced a year long player suspension.

Can Hopkins do better? Yes.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Not missing. I should have created another paragraph.

Someone made a comment about facilities so I stuck a sentence in.

I would have sent an email the first time it happened. Didn’t k ow there was another time.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

And Tony Seaman shouldn’t steal moleskins. That was ridiculous. Fortunately molo got it back.

(Minus the page that said “Tony Seaman sucks.”)

(Or maybe molo added that afterwards.)
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:14 pm
OCanada wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:59 pm I have to disagree for no good reason other than I have met with her and like her and it is not a new issue with the coaches. I wonder what Wombat thinks is more likely

Personally I think this one is on the staff. They have been sensitive to note taking and the internet for a very long time.
The current Hopkins coaching staff should probably focus on winning a lot of games this year and not worry about the fans in the stands trying to make them look good.

HOB and other fans like him (and I’m not sure there are any fans quite like him) should be getting a handshake and some thanks, not the crappy disrespect they showed him.

Besides, if their offensive and defensive schemes were worth more than the paper they’re written on, then a few fan videos of scrimmages won’t impact their effectiveness.

Seriously, coaches, stop being a$$h*les.

My son did not play at Hopkins but as an outsider, I thought HoB videos were good for the program. The videos paint a good picture and is an indication of fan support. Coach's view is short sighted in my opinion.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Two more Johns Hopkins-related Nobel Prizes: Gregg Semenza, Professor at the School of Medicine, and William Kaelin, Jr., who completed his residency in internal medicine at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

See, Johns Hopkins is still winning (something)!

DocBarrister ;) :)
Last edited by DocBarrister on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

It’s why am email should be sent spelling out the history and the incident and asking if this is policy and if not what is policy.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:20 pm
molo wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:07 pm As far as I know, the defending champs are pretty open with practices and scrimmages. Fairly detailed coverage on thesabre.com didn't seem to hurt much. Are Hopkins' regular season practices closed to the public? I don't recall that they were shrouded in secrecy when I lived in the area, but that goes back to the end of Zim's regime and the beginning of Tony's.
Exactly. If the national champs have an open policy, why not a team that got bounced in the first round?

Does UVA allow people to film practices/scrimmages? Look, I think what they asked HOB to do is totally insane and ridiculous (and, honestly, it strikes me as something of a death rattle—one last gasp before the end) but that is different from "fairly detailed coverage" on The Sabre. As far as I know nobody is filming UVA scrimmages and putting them up for public consumption on YouTube. Again—I think that should 100% be allowed—but we don't really know what the Hoos' policy about that would be. I think it's a bit silly to anoint them as the guardians of truth and transparency.
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:00 am My son did not play at Hopkins but as an outsider, I thought HoB videos were good for the program. The videos paint a good picture and is an indication of fan support. Coach's view is short sighted in my opinion.
100%. One need only look at the comments on HOB's videos to see how universally appreciated they are among fans of the sport—not just Hopkins fans, though obviously they care more than most. Much of what makes the Hopkins lacrosse community unique (for better and for worse, though I'd like to think that on the whole it's for the better) is its passion for, and knowledge of, the team and the sport. They should be feeding into that instead of getting in its way. ESPECIALLY when the team offers virtually no highlights of their own (I'm starting to sound like '06 now). If they provided their own highlight videos of scrimmages/practice/etc. then I guess you could sort of understand the decision (not really, but they'd have a stronger case). But they hardly do any of that.
molo

Post by molo »

Not sure if UVA allows filming. My impression is that the stuff on thesabre is just observation from notes.
Correction on my chronology. I was living within walking distance of Homewood when Chick and Zim were coaching. By the time Tony had replaced Zim, I had moved here, which is close to Towson U.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

what was the starting 16 saturday night?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OCanada wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:56 am It’s why am email should be sent spelling out the history and the incident and asking if this is policy and if not what is policy.
Have any of you -- all of you -- sent some message to the AD and the coaching staff? It's really a shame.
Typical Lax Dad

molo wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:45 am Not sure if UVA allows filming. My impression is that the stuff on thesabre is just observation from notes.
Correction on my chronology. I was living within walking distance of Homewood when Chick and Zim were coaching. By the time Tony had replaced Zim, I had moved here, which is close to Towson U.
Was this an alumni game or was it a scrimmage at a regular practice session? Someone at what is supposed to be a celebration of alums actually told someone that it was a "closed" practice or filming isn't allowed? Incredibly short sighted.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Alumni game.
Typical Lax Dad

Hoponboard wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:21 pmAlumni game.
Completely insane.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

seacoaster wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:18 pm
OCanada wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:56 am It’s why am email should be sent spelling out the history and the incident and asking if this is policy and if not what is policy.
Have any of you -- all of you -- sent some message to the AD and the coaching staff? It's really a shame.
I’m thinking of some communication to Daniels. He loves Petro.

Plus, the folks at the JHU Newsletter should be interested in this story.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Daniels would be totally inappropriate and counter productive if anyone wants to actually get something accomplished
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Known dates so far:

March 14: @ Navy
March 17: @ Delaware
April 11: @ Ohio State

The game at Delaware is a Tuesday night. It's mildly interesting that the Navy game took over what had been the Delaware date the past two years (pushing the game against the Hens to the middle of the week)—which I'm pretty sure means that either Mount St. Mary's will now be on what was the Virginia date (third Saturday of March) OR that weekend will be a new opponent. If it's the latter, and we're still playing Mount St. Mary's when we usually do (midweek before the Navy date), then that's three road games in the span of seven days. Fun?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”