The North Korea Problem

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: The North Korea Problem

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:39 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:36 pm
jhu72 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:02 pm Talks broke down (again) this morning; but the love affair is going strong according to Orange Duce.
Oh, they're just about to cave.

TrumpFans will double down on our Great Negotiator.

Iran. N Korea. EU trade. China trade. Spinning his wheels-----which would be fine if he and his fans didn't shoot their mouths off about how much he did that previous Presidents couldn't.
Wait... the Clinton administration solved the Nork problem decades ago. How is this even an issue today? ;)
Yes. As I said, it would be fine if Trump wasn't shooting his mouth off. I don't have a problem with Trump failing to get a deal. Kim is a d*ck. Full stop. Didn't expect Trump to get anything done. Nor the next Potus. Nor the next.

It's the crowing about getting something done, when in reality, nothing is done.

I should trademark this phrase when it comes to negotiating with Fascists: America has elections. They don't. Makes negotiating next to impossible.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:15 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:39 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:36 pm
jhu72 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:02 pm Talks broke down (again) this morning; but the love affair is going strong according to Orange Duce.
Oh, they're just about to cave.

TrumpFans will double down on our Great Negotiator.

Iran. N Korea. EU trade. China trade. Spinning his wheels-----which would be fine if he and his fans didn't shoot their mouths off about how much he did that previous Presidents couldn't.
Wait... the Clinton administration solved the Nork problem decades ago. How is this even an issue today? ;)
Yes. As I said, it would be fine if Trump wasn't shooting his mouth off. I don't have a problem with Trump failing to get a deal. Kim is a d*ck. Full stop. Didn't expect Trump to get anything done. Nor the next Potus. Nor the next.

It's the crowing about getting something done, when in reality, nothing is done.

I should trademark this phrase when it comes to negotiating with Fascists: America has elections. They don't. Makes negotiating next to impossible.
well said... no argument from were I sit. Trump is an abysmal failure when negotiating with weeds. It is so easy for them to see right through his little charade.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:19 pm
well said... no argument from were I sit. Trump is an abysmal failure when negotiating with weeds. It is so easy for them to see right through his little charade.
I agree, especially when our partisanship drives such a significant wedge in progress, that we are seen like a teenage girl picking her outfit each morning. When I heard Schumer agree with what Trump is doing in China, I thought it may gain traction and it would show a backing and strength in fortitude for success. We are our own enemy at times....our vision can't get past our bank account and selfishness for partisan power.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:03 am
I agree, especially when our partisanship drives such a significant wedge in progress, that we are seen like a teenage girl picking her outfit each morning. When I heard Schumer agree with what Trump is doing in China, I thought it may gain traction and it would show a backing and strength in fortitude for success. We are our own enemy at times....our vision can't get past our bank account and selfishness for partisan power.
You can't blame Trump's failure on partisan divide. Even a totally united nation would be up against the same immovable object (NK). You want to remove nukes, you have to go to war. It is the same with Iran. The juice isn't worth the squeeze in either case.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:07 am
You can't blame Trump's failure on partisan divide. Even a totally united nation would be up against the same immovable object (NK). You want to remove nukes, you have to go to war. It is the same with Iran. The juice isn't worth the squeeze in either case.
When it relates to NK and Iran I am reminded of the saying that you can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber. The Norks may be outrageously belligerent but the chances of them attacking anyone is pretty slim IMO. Iran IMO is a different story. Their biggest issue is how long Israel will stand by while they threaten the existence of them as a nation. That is the 800 pound gorilla in the room that nobody sees or wants to admit is even in the room. When the Iranian leadership constantly claims that they want to wipe Israel off of the map... well are they serious or just busting chops?

https://dailypost.ng/2019/07/06/iran-th ... 0-minutes/ is it real or is it all just rhetoric?
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:16 am
jhu72 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:07 am
When it relates to NK and Iran I am reminded of the saying that you can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber. The Norks may be outrageously belligerent but the chances of them attacking anyone is pretty slim IMO. Iran IMO is a different story. Their biggest issue is how long Israel will stand by while they threaten the existence of them as a nation. That is the 800 pound gorilla in the room that nobody sees or wants to admit is even in the room. When the Iranian leadership constantly claims that they want to wipe Israel off of the map... well are they serious or just busting chops?

https://dailypost.ng/2019/07/06/iran-th ... 0-minutes/ is it real or is it all just rhetoric?
It's real (among hardliners), but the Iranian regime is not so irrational as to think they would survive any attack on Israel other than through support of terrorist groups. But alienation of Iran will never move Iran other than to more extreme hard line views. Engagement, with carrots as well as sticks, is the only path to possible, though not guaranteed, success.
old salt

Post by old salt »

NK is not an expansionist terrorist state, seeking to dominate an entire region, which provides a resource critical to the global economy.

NK is only a threat to SK, which should be able to defend itself, with the US as an ally.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:02 pm NK is not an expansionist terrorist state, seeking to dominate an entire region, which provides a resource critical to the global economy.

NK is only a threat to SK, which should be able to defend itself, with the US as an ally.
Maybe you forget about Japan?
I'm sure that's an inadvertent miss.

But your point is reasonably well taken as to "expansionist", especially as compared to Iran's posture which I assume was your intent. That said, NK is highly problematic in the spread of nuclear and ballistic technology to non-state as well as rogue state actors. Serious stuff.

Which doesn't mean warfare is the answer.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:09 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:02 pm NK is not an expansionist terrorist state, seeking to dominate an entire region, which provides a resource critical to the global economy.

But your point is reasonably well taken as to "expansionist", especially as compared to Iran's posture which I assume was your intent. That said, NK is highly problematic in the spread of nuclear and ballistic technology to non-state as well as rogue state actors. Serious stuff.

So NK is a threat to invade or destabilize Japan, which is unable to defend itself ? Like Iran is to it's neighbors ?

You don't want a substantive discussion. You just want an argument.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:20 pm

So NK is a threat to invade or destabilize Japan, which is unable to defend itself ? Like Iran is to it's neighbors ?

oops, I assumed by "a threat" you meant those words.
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that it was just inadvertent.

I guarantee you Japan considers NK a "threat".

And I was not at all arguing the difference you were trying to draw between Iran and NK in the "expansionist" aspect.
It's just that the "expansionist" aspect is not the sole factor determinative of what our foreign policy should be.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:31 pm

And I was not at all arguing the difference you were trying to draw between Iran and NK in the "expansionist" aspect.
It's just that the "expansionist" aspect is not the sole factor determinative of what our foreign policy should be.
At this point in time, NK is not actively attacking Japan, as Iran is attacking SA & Israel, & threatening our forces throughout the region.
NK is not destabilizing an entire region. Iran is.
At this point, NK is a more rational, deter-able adversary, & less a regional threat to out allies, than Iran.
Japan & SK need to resolve their issues with each other.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:45 pm

At this point in time, NK is not actively attacking Japan, as Iran is attacking SA & Israel, & threatening our forces throughout the region.
At this point, NK is a more rational, deter-able adversary, & less a regional threat to out allies, than Iran.
We don't disagree other than your last line.
Japan is our ally by treaty and by long practice.
They depend heavily on our deterrence umbrella.

I'm not sure why you digging so hard on this.
Both NK and Iran are serious issues. They are not identical.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:10 pm

Apparently you have not been following Japan - SK relations recently.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Absolutely have.
The Japanese are very, very concerned that they can no longer depend on their supposed ally, the USA...under Trump.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:18 pm

Absolutely have.
The Japanese are very, very concerned that they can no longer depend on their supposed ally, the USA...under Trump.
Based on your response, apparently you have not.

I say again -- the Japanese & S Korea need to resolve their issues with each other.

That has nothing to do with depending on the US.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... bout-past/
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

“After 3 years & 2 summits, the reality is that denuclearization is not happening, sanctions are eroding, and N Korea is ignoring empty Potus threats of fire and fury and instead testing its missiles & increasing the quality/quantity of its nuclear warheads.”
Richard Haas
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MD, problem is your following from “mainstream media” as opposed to more honest conduits like breitbart and the North Korea Times. If you read those fine outlets you’d understand.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:04 am MD, problem is your following from “mainstream media” as opposed to more honest conduits like breitbart and the North Korea Times. If you read those fine outlets you’d understand.
:D
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Absolutely have.

Well, the plight of the Kurds will make them feel better.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:30 am

Absolutely have.
Based on your response, apparently you have not.

I say again -- the Japanese & S Korea need to resolve their issues with each other.

That has nothing to do with depending on the US.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... bout-past/
If you are arguing that SK should stop shipping sensitive tech to NK as part off the thawing in relations under the current SK gov't, ok, I see the connection with NK. But the reason Japan is so spooked is that they recognize the NK threat.

https://theaseanpost.com/article/saving ... lationship

Of course, the current flare-up between SK and Japan is over other issues as well, but these aren't related specifically to NK. https://www.ft.com/content/94ce21dc-c58 ... 6ca66511c9

Return to “POLITICS”