Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
primitiveskills

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by primitiveskills »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:37 pm Not a coach per se, but a member of the staff told me that the ‘fun’ scrimmage against the alumni could be used for ‘scouting’ purposes. That’s just ridiculous and pathetic. I can’t argue with lameness, but as a Hopkins grad I was sorely disappointed how far my university’s lax program has fallen. Can you imagine Scott or Chick making this request?

Not wanting to cause a scene, I did comply, but immediately cancelled my travel plans to Philly next weekend to film the fall ball scrimmages.

It’s Hopkins lax loss. For years, as a diehard fan, I have filmed and edited ‘highlights’—-not full contests—-of select Jays games and scrimmages for my HuntVA YouTube channel that has nearly 9 million views and thousands of subscribers—-many of whom are Hopkins lax fans all around the world. These fans let me know when I don’t post Hop highlights.

The obvious point is that this has been a labor of love—but no more.
This is absurd and a real shame. Have really enjoyed highlights and appreciated the effort. Oh well, guess the current staff won't rest until complete apathy has set in.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:37 pm Not a coach per se, but a member of the staff told me that the ‘fun’ scrimmage against the alumni could be used for ‘scouting’ purposes. That’s just ridiculous and pathetic. I can’t argue with lameness, but as a Hopkins grad I was sorely disappointed how far my university’s lax program has fallen. Can you imagine Scott or Chick making this request?

Not wanting to cause a scene, I did comply, but immediately cancelled my travel plans to Philly next weekend to film the fall ball scrimmages.
It’s Hopkins lax loss. For years, as a diehard fan, I have filmed and edited ‘highlights’—-not full contests—-of select Jays games and scrimmages for my HuntVA YouTube channel that has nearly 9 million views and thousands of subscribers—-many of whom are Hopkins lax fans all around the world. These fans let me know when I don’t post Hop highlights.

Sad to hear this. The “staff” need to stop being so paranoid. They should appreciate a true fan like you.

Thanks for all the videos over the years, HOB.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

So... Bill Belichick went into the stands last night and told someone off?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

No. Bill B told you off. :D SS I recall. This was a member of the Pstrioys staff.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

OCanada wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:07 am No. Bill B told you off. :D SS I recall. This was a member of the Pstrioys staff.
Never met him. Have met Mikey B. Remember Mike’s 50th reunion when he came onto the field at halftime with his pistol-packing heavyweight protector? That was the first time someone has had anything resembling a cannon on the field in over 40 years.

I’m still decrypting your post:

SS - ?? Bill’s Side Stuff? The woman with two life preservers bolted on?

Pstrioys put into spellchecker yields Patriots. I thought you might mean Hopkins has a PsyOps staff now, for fan mind control.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Or maybe Hopkins hired George to moderate the Hopkins fan base in the stands.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I miss Lax Fi. By the time you read this he would have fixed it.

I confused Bill B with Dave P who I know you met while on a spy mission. Patriots would be correct.
Last edited by OCanada on Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:16 pm Just asked to turn off my camera five minutes into the scrimmage. Informed it’s a ‘closed scrimmage.’
Not only ridiculous but also shortsighted. What opposing teams can glean (nothing) from brief highlight snippets of an early October alumni game is far outweighed by the positives of having these videos available for fans (and potential recruits). Because we all know the difference between getting your teeth kicked in during the NCAA tournament and making a respectable run is the availability of a 5-minute YouTube video. Had they asked you to shut it off last year, perhaps the Jays wouldn't have been demolished by Notre Dame in the playoffs.

Thanks for your work over the years HOB. I'll miss these videos. I hope they realize how stupid this is. Probably not.

I am curious for general thoughts from you and others who were there about the game. Sounds like, as usual, it wasn't competitive. Nice to see a lot of freshmen involved though.
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:44 pm 22-7 final. Hop’s goals by Williams (3), Keogh (3), Stagnitta (3), Concannon (2), Handsor (2), Murphy, Prouty, Mabbett, Angelus, Smith, Degnon, Hawley, Shilling and Schreiber.

Alumni goals by Wells Stanwick (3), Tinney, Frasier, Fox and Castronova.
First - thanks for the effort HOB. The videos were great to see when entering a long Wisconsin winter.

Two questions - were Epstein and Baskin out there (22 goals by the team and they had none - hmmm) and who spent the most time in goal?

Thanks
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I’ll really miss your great camera work. It’s too bad your good work over the years has to stop and for no good reason.

Based on that logic they should also cancel the tv contract. Opposing coaches can scout the games in season with their DVR. They’re getting much more out of that than fall ball videos.

I have to assume this is coming from the new AD. If she’s shutting down fall ball videos imagine the grief she must be giving the coaching staff. She’s determined to win at all costs. Team better be shipshape this spring. There’s a new sheriff in town.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I have to disagree for no good reason other than I have met with her and like her and it is not a new issue with the coaches. I wonder what Wombat thinks is more likely

Personally I think this one is on the staff. They have been sensitive to note taking and the internet for a very long time.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

This is on the anal retentive coaches. Not the AD.

Of course, their jobs appear to hinge on how well they do this year, so I’d expect draconian nonsense from them. Fan unfriendliness, but oh yeah, please donate to our Hopkins 100 club and Blue Jays Unlimited. We need more exercise equipment and protein bars.

I’m for regime change. With a doorknob to the ass of these slouches.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I expect there will be upgrades to facilities. One way to express displeasure is to withhold donations. Years ago there was a chant “ Tony means no money”. BTW for the record record he was not dismissed because he didn’t win a title.

Also if I was told to stop taping I would write an email providing history and asking if this was a policy or a overzealous employee or the coaches
Laxsmitty

Post by Laxsmitty »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:50 pm This is on the anal retentive coaches. Not the AD.

Of course, their jobs appear to hinge on how well they do this year, so I’d expect draconian nonsense from them. Fan unfriendliness, but oh yeah, please donate to our Hopkins 100 club and Blue Jays Unlimited. We need more exercise equipment and protein bars.

I’m for regime change. With a doorknob to the ass of these slouches.
One can only hope that there is a regime change. All Petro does is tear people down and does not build team morale/spirit. His style may have been popular 10-15yrs ago but it has not worked in the past 5+yrs. They should have replaced him and the rest of the staff after last season. If the new AD signs him to new contract you can expect the same old same old. I think alumni would want a change and would not be donating to the school or program until they make the change.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I don't think the AD cares if someone films a lacrosse alumni scrimmage. Far more likely the order came from the coaching staff. Though I suppose it's possible it was just an overzealous employee on a power trip.

Heard from a friend that Murphy continues to look the part.

Some Andy Demopoulous highlights: https://twitter.com/diggstape/status/11 ... 3328888834
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

OCanada wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:35 pm
Also if I was told to stop taping I would write an email providing history and asking if this was a policy or a overzealous employee or the coaches
This is not the first incident. Last February, I was ‘ordered’ to delete one of my Hop scrimmage highlight videos that had received over 20,000 views in 48 hours on my YouTube channel. That was a first and came from the coaches who forgot that I’m not a media representative—-I’m a fan—-who films and edits from a Hop fan’s perspective.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Am bummed for you, Hoponboard, I get the labor of love part to say nothing of the number of fans who appreciate and look forward to your work. Thanks for your efforts and what you've brought us.

To the schidthead who made this chickenschidt decision, congratulations, you win the arsehole of the year award!!!
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

For a number of Hop players, their only ‘moments in the sun’ during their careers come in scrimmages. One of my pleasures was to highlight their outstanding plays and give them and their families something to hold onto from their Hop careers. That is why I have never ‘normally’ deleted videos during my 13 years on YouTube.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:44 pm For a number of Hop players, their only ‘moments in the sun’ during their careers come in scrimmages. One of my pleasures was to highlight their outstanding plays and give them and their families something to hold onto from their Hop careers. That is why I have never ‘normally’ deleted videos during my 13 years on YouTube.
Those three Stagnitta goals will be in lost in time, like tears in rain.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

OCanada wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:35 pm I expect there will be upgrades to facilities. One way to express displeasure is to withhold donations. Years ago there was a chant “ Tony means no money”. BTW for the record record he was not dismissed because he didn’t win a title.

I assume there is a missing word that could help me better reconcile your first two sentences.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”