Fair Pay to Play Act

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxpert

Fair Pay to Play Act

Post by laxpert »

How will this recent law impact lacrosse? I've heard it only implies to Conferences with media revenues in excess of 10 million but can't find confirmation. While a California law, Florida and New York have similar legislation ready to be voted on,
Wheels

Re: Fair Pay to Play Act

Post by Wheels »

When you see the NCAA railing against it and forecasting doomsday, it has to be a good thing. They'll just add to their gazillion page rule book to get around it.

Never forget that the NCAA is comprised of university presidents. That's the NCAA's membership. The NCAA is like Jules when talking The Wolf in Pulp Fiction: Don't do anything unless.

I doubt this will affect any non-rev sports much. Maybe you'll get a random player with enough visibility in a specific city who will get some ad money. It's mostly about football and men's basketball. Unless you're in Storrs, CT.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Wheels wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:58 am When you see the NCAA railing against it and forecasting doomsday, it has to be a good thing. They'll just add to their gazillion page rule book to get around it.

Never forget that the NCAA is comprised of university presidents. That's the NCAA's membership. The NCAA is like Jules when talking The Wolf in Pulp Fiction: Don't do anything unless.

I doubt this will affect any non-rev sports much. Maybe you'll get a random player with enough visibility in a specific city who will get some ad money. It's mostly about football and men's basketball. Unless you're in Storrs, CT.
It will be a mess. Particularly in the southt . Local restaurants and car dealerships will just be conduits. I have a harsh view. If you want to be paid, pay your own room and board. I would cover tuition only for any athlete being paid and if the athlete leaves early , I want a clawback.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Instead the administrators just spent all the new billions on themselves. In 2010-11 — just this decade — the University of Michigan employed 253 people (coaches and administrators) at an average salary of $73,382, according to school records. By 2018-19, it was up to 388 and $101,137. So almost no new scholarships for the players and their families, but 53.3 percent more employees are making 37.8 percent more money.

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-ncaa-shoul ... 14957.html

Michigan added lacrosse which he left out but I thought this part was interesting. we read a lot about should x school add lacrosse and universities push back and say there isn't the $, but michigan added 130 new staffers and boosted pay by $28k/year. I guess there is the $.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Couple of things.

Average salary is skewed by FB salaries particularly at playoff eligible school like Michigan.

As I recall the NCAA makes its money on BB but gets no money from FB. They do not sponsor a FB tournament.
Last edited by OCanada on Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:28 pm Instead the administrators just spent all the new billions on themselves. In 2010-11 — just this decade — the University of Michigan employed 253 people (coaches and administrators) at an average salary of $73,382, according to school records. By 2018-19, it was up to 388 and $101,137. So almost no new scholarships for the players and their families, but 53.3 percent more employees are making 37.8 percent more money.

Michigan added lacrosse which he left out but I thought this part was interesting. we read a lot about should x school add lacrosse and universities push back and say there isn't the $, but michigan added 130 new staffers and boosted pay by $28k/year. I guess there is the $.
I would rather see the players receive ncaa money versus money from Manny’s Strip Club.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Coaches too?
Jim Boeheim can tell me where and why I should buy a car, insurance, or what restaurant to eat at and get paid for it (he's in all kinds of commercials..Babers too), but Elijah Hughes will get thrown out of the league for telling me what kind of sneakers to wear.
Something is wrong there, there's too much money in college sports these days, and those who are getting the lion's share just don't want give any of it up...all other arguments are just BS, IMO.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Maybe it will have the reverse effect and the students will stay longer.

But this comes to mind when I first read it..

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

CA should have a monopoly on student athletes due to this legislation. Any above average athlete should want to play there as result. Going to be interesting to see how it plays out.
The parent, not the coach.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

OCanada wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:35 pm Couple of things.

Average salary is skewed by FB salaries particularly at playoff eligible school like Michigan.

As I recall the NCAA makes its money on BB but gets no money from FB. They do not sponsor a FB tournament.
Couple of points: NCAA itself makes most of its money (~$900M) off of BB. Most of the money at the college level of sports is made off of FB.
In 2018, the top 25 college football teams generated $2.5B in revenue and over $1B of that was profit. That is the very definition of a cash cow.

The NCAA brought this on themselves. By their success, by their heavy handiness in petty violations, by their resistance to any change, by their guilty until proven innocent approach, etc.

How will it impact lacrosse? My guess is schools will fight back to protect the golden goose. Example, they might say any funds given to revenue producing players will be taken from the funds used to support non-revenue producing sports.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

DMac wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:17 pm Coaches too?
Jim Boeheim can tell me where and why I should buy a car, insurance, or what restaurant to eat at and get paid for it (he's in all kinds of commercials..Babers too), but Elijah Hughes will get thrown out of the league for telling me what kind of sneakers to wear.
Something is wrong there, there's too much money in college sports these days, and those who are getting the lion's share just don't want give any of it up...all other arguments are just BS, IMO.
I'm not sure what the answer is but playing devils' advocate here: Looking at Cuse's tuition website (https://www.syracuse.edu/admissions/cos ... rgraduate/)it states the cost is just shy of $70K per year. Digging into how that is possibly worth it is another story but if we go by those numbers an athlete who gets a full ride for four years really is being given $280,000. By agreeing to the scholarship he's agreeing to abide by the rules. No one is forcing them to play, if they don't like the rules then don't accept the scholarship.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

It depends on how much of a scholarship a player gets. In lax each school giving a schollie can give 12.6. There are very few full schollies given.

This is an area where the big state schools have an advantage over an expensive private school. Using the example given of Cuse @ $70,000.

1/4,schollie is 17,500. That leaves the student responsible for 52,500 barring other aid sources.

Assume PSU costs about 40,000 per year. (Estimate) Each 1/4, schollie is worth 10,000. The difference is the price advantage especially if a state school can arrange instate tuition for an out of state athlete.

FB has 85 scholarships so the calculus is different
Last edited by OCanada on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:28 pm Instead the administrators just spent all the new billions on themselves. In 2010-11 — just this decade — the University of Michigan employed 253 people (coaches and administrators) at an average salary of $73,382, according to school records. By 2018-19, it was up to 388 and $101,137. So almost no new scholarships for the players and their families, but 53.3 percent more employees are making 37.8 percent more money.

1st, the numbers quoted for u mich and employees doesn't even begin to touch on the kind of money that is floating around big time athletic departments for people to compensate themselves. it's the tip of the iceberg.
as has been mentioned on this site and a bit on this page, there are endorsements, camps, appearances, cars, houses, trips, flights, boondoggles, cocktail parties, cachet, just use any part of your imagination. not to mention slush funds from alums, etc. there's big money there. maybe the biggest in some cases. as you hear coaches and ad's rail about this new law, they have an understanding that their way of life will be getting dinged. and in all likelihood, they will make others pay first. that's low level staffers and olympic sports. if they're not willing to fund a $1 million program annually from a $150 million budget without having alums endow it, think what they'll do once revenue streams dry up.
http://www.umsalary.info/deptsearch.php?Dept=athletics
that's the link that details u mich "salaries". does jim harbaugh make $550,000? john beilein $400 k? no. no, they do not. their money, and of course many other people's money, come from other sources as well.
one of those primary sources is bob booster and friends. if bob booster only has so much dough to spread around to get their five star guys, they don't have any left to continue to keep the athletic department flush.
business will no longer be boomin'.

the power 5's have some good tv contracts. the economy is still good. kids are still taking out student loans to get to their schools, at ever higher prices. for now. but i don't think we have many conservative fiscal operators here, saving for a rainy day. with low interest rates, more money coming in every year, the competition spending on new facilities -- we better do it, too!!! at some point, the house of cards collapses when one is taken away.

i don't know exactly how this will look, but if i had to make a bet, it'd probably be very easy to see a lot of headlines on program cuts. (looking at you too, men's lacrosse).
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

There are schools where scholarships are not involved eg service academies and the Ivies in lacrosse.

Some lacrosse camps throw off some pretty large numbers. Those salaries are often used to supplement asst cosches’ salaries. Any one minor sport is chump change compared to the two major sports
DMac

Post by DMac »

I get that argument, Uppity, I also get the devil's advocate part.
I don't buy it, an SU diploma isn't worth $280K (I don't restrict those sentiments to just SU). A car could sticker at $70 with a $10K rebate and all kinds of room to negotiate down from there. The dealer will tell you that car is worth $70K (unless you come back to trade it in the next day with 5 miles on it) but we all know that's just an inflated starting point. That SU diploma was of much greater value in the 50s and 60s before everbody and their brother had a college sheepskin, but it's not worth all that much in today's world. The NCAA likes to hold on to that argument in order to not give up any of that lion's share they're getting from these athletes. Same ol' story, a guy/gal going to SU on a music scholly can play in a band and make as much as they can doing gigs and maybe selling t-shirts to the groupies, but the athlete can do none of that (coaches can though). It's not right and I do believe things will cahnge (a lot) down the line.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

They have to standardize whatever the final form. It won’t work if every state has a different standard.

I believe whatever the cost it will be passed along to the ticket holders and television contracts with the schools maybe eating a small amount. I admit to not knowing the ins and outs on some of this but I don’t see the schools eating all of it
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Is this thread about Cuba?

Anyone handing out pamphlets?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I was just visiting w a friend who’s the new dean of temples business school and he stated (what many of us already know) that “nobody pays the sticker price”. He shared the math and they take a ton of his revenues for other purposes in the general fund.

So the argument that the value is anything close to 4 x sticker price is specious at best. Colleges are running a racket, the amount this dean, former professor,needed to
Run his entire school was approximately 40% of what he generated when he gave me the numbers (40% to
Run the school, 45% to the daddy for “whatever they do with it” and 15% left over)

He also mentioned that lasalle is pretty close to closing their doors for good.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

FIrst this is only in CA, second, from what i heard the NCAA will make schools that pay ineligible for NCAA play. Second these players are already being paid by the school for their room, board and tuition.

How will it lacrosse, it wont, not a big revenue sport
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The NCAA will lose containment regardless. There are already other states about to pass their own versions or introduce them. The best solution is a national standard. It is going to become law sooner or later.

PAC 12 is a major conference with multiple schools in CA

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”