JUST the Stolen Documents/Mar-A-Lago/"Judge" Cannon Trial

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: The Politics of National Security

Post by a fan »

And btw, I've gone on record for INCREASED election laws and protects that would make something like getting the GPS report from a foreign spy a felony. Fix the doggone problem.

You seem to want to double down on the problems, making it worse.

And if I could make is so that what Hunter, Ivanka, and Kush did a felony instead of an ethical violation? Where do I sign?

THAT would fix the problem. You're suggesting that we wave it all through "because the other guy did it", and I don't understand why.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

People inherently don't like opposition research even though it can be quite effective. So the issue is the rules about what is acceptable, and what is legal.

Opposition research done by (and paid for) a campaign is legal in almost all cases. It is against the law to accept opposition research from foreigners strictly because it is considered something of _value_ and foreigners cannot contribute money to a US campaign.

I don't think that hiring a foreign company to do research (meaning you are paying them) is necessarily illegal, because then it is not an illegal foreign contribution, but I might be wrong here. And you might have issues using only Americans, for example, to do opposition research on, say, Donald Trump in a foreign country without hiring someone from out of the country.

Now normally it is not the campaigns who do the hiring - it is a "non coordinating" group doing it. The Trump campaign was using a UK firm, Cambridge Analytica (and paying them) because they had dove deep into Facebook data and in fact used that information to micro target their own voters, in some cases, and also to target minorities and get them to not vote at all in 2016, by making them dislike Hillary and then vote for third parties or not at all (and this seems to be successful).

A former foe of Trump in the 2016 campaign was the first to hire Fusion GPS, and then one of those groups loosely affiliated with Clinton hired them for further Trump opposition research. Because what they found was so dramatic compared with past campaigns, much of that information was not used for the campaign directly, but passed over to the FBI.

But what has happened here is Trump not using campaign resources, but the power of US foreign policy and taxpayer money to dig up dirt on a potential foe (and apparently the one Trump fears the most due to his more centrist appeal). That is what is corrupt (and illegal) here. Should be a cut and dried case for impeachment...
old salt

Post by old salt »

Javelins ??? ...much of the breathless reporting by new Ukraine war hawks makes it sound like Russian tank formations are rolling across E Ukraine.

Has anyone seen specific reporting that verifies Javelins were included in the tranche of military aid that was delayed ?

I've only seen an approval for the 210 missiles/37 launchers already delivered 18 mos ago.
It sounded like Zelensky was asking for permission to purchase more.
Anyone know ? I can hear the tanks clanking.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:02 pm So I ask again, would you be ok if Hillary asked Putin to "investigate" Trump during the last election. After all, there were "reports" of Trump's corruption ,right? So would you be ok with Hillary, or heck, Obama to make the analogy better, asking Putin to investigate Trump?
You sure ask a lot of questions....you learn that in debate class? ;) :lol:

I would be fine if Obama asked Putin to "look into" Trump if he may be our next president, especially if Trump had some shady dealings in Russia. Instead we got Obama asking others to do it behind out backs and look what it turned into. Remember.....all roads lead back to Obama ;)

Had Obama asked Putin the direct question we'd probably be in a better spot. And as you and I agree and you posted..
a fan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:06 pm And btw, I've gone on record for INCREASED election laws and protects that would make something like getting the GPS report from a foreign spy a felony. Fix the doggone problem.
Agreed
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:37 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:02 pm So I ask again, would you be ok if Hillary asked Putin to "investigate" Trump during the last election. After all, there were "reports" of Trump's corruption ,right? So would you be ok with Hillary, or heck, Obama to make the analogy better, asking Putin to investigate Trump?

I would be fine if Obama asked Putin to "look into" Trump if he may be our next president, especially if Trump had some shady dealings in Russia. Instead we got Obama asking others to do it behind out backs and look what it turned into. Remember.....all roads lead back to Obama ;)

Had Obama asked Putin the direct question we'd probably be in a better spot. And as you and I agree and you posted..
a fan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:06 pm And btw, I've gone on record for INCREASED election laws and protects that would make something like getting the GPS report from a foreign spy a felony. Fix the doggone problem.
Agreed
Wow. Just remarkable.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:45 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:37 pm

Agreed
Wow. Just remarkable.
Trust, but verify.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

You seem to have jettisoned the “verify” part in your zeal to bring everything back to “Obama is bad.” I really can’t believe you condone President Trump’s actions. Can you not see the logical end of giving this a pass?
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Does anyone think this administration is doing a single thing to protect us from RU attacks, or any attacks, in the 2020 election?
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:07 pm You seem to have jettisoned the “verify” part in your zeal to bring everything back to “Obama is bad.” I really can’t believe you condone President Trump’s actions. Can you not see the logical end of giving this a pass?
The Obama reference to afan was a long standing reference and opinion I have had for 3 years now...that all this Russian collusion mess leads back to Obama's desk.
~Livy
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:38 pm
seacoaster wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:07 pm You seem to have jettisoned the “verify” part in your zeal to bring everything back to “Obama is bad.” I really can’t believe you condone President Trump’s actions. Can you not see the logical end of giving this a pass?
The Obama reference to afan was a long standing reference and opinion I have had for 3 years now...that all this Russian collusion mess leads back to Obama's desk.
I know; it's just kind of crazy.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:37 pm I would be fine if Obama asked Putin to "look into" Trump if he may be our next president, especially if Trump had some shady dealings in Russia.
You can't allow that. It's a blatant conflict of interest, and the kind of thing you see in Banana Republics.

Obama controls the entire enforcement branch of our system of Government. Allowing him to personally go after political opponents is insane. Nixon was impeached for that, among other things.
youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:37 pm Instead we got Obama asking others to do it behind out backs and look what it turned into. Remember.....all roads lead back to Obama ;)
That's not even close to what happened, and you know that. You're making it sound like Obama woke up from a dead sleep, phoned the FBI, and said "I want you to go after Trump! Bring him Down!!!" while twirling his evil mustache.

Intel had reports that Russia was trying to influence our elections, so our intel looked into Trump's affairs, and came up with no conclusive evidence that Trump was working with Russians. And if Trump wasn't Trump, Comey would have prepared a report that recommended no indictments. And we'd all move on.

Instead, because Trump is Trump, he fired Comey. The dumbest person in the world could see that you can't fire the person who is investigating you without public outcry. This brought out the tin foil hats----for good reason-----and has taken us to this day.
youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:37 pm Had Obama asked Putin the direct question we'd probably be in a better spot.
No. He would have been ratted out, and impeached. And justifiably so. I am over the moon confused that you would think that's an ok thing for our President to do. That's Chicago politics that made Mayor Daley so famous. It's disgusting, and has no place in our country.

BTW, in what world is Putin going to give us reliable information on anything at all, let alone on Trump? I can only imagine what nonsense Putin would provide if Obama asked him to (wink, wink) "investigate" Donald Trump.

As for your "all roads lead to Obama" remark------- I thought you were ok with Obama investigating, and even going so far as to solicit Putin's help?

This is sounding like a very partisan complaint to me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:05 pm As for your "all roads lead to Obama" remark------- I thought you were ok with Obama investigating, and even going so far as to solicit Putin's help?

This is sounding like a very partisan complaint to me.
I am okay with it, and it is not partisan, it is common sense to get to the bottom of unresolved issues, especially when you know you are innocent, as Trump says. If Trump was just cleared by Mueller and the left has all but forgotten it, why in the heck would a guilty man who is walking free, keep picking his own scab off if there is potential to expose something he is guilty of....that would be ludicrous of him? That's like returning to the scene of the crime 100x over with everyone watching.

If only Obama DID do something like Trump is doing.....to solve a possible political partisan crime and ask leaders to support our efforts. The mere fact he did not, speaks volumes. You should ask yourself why didn't Obama via his AG inquire with Putin and other countries where 'supposed collusion' occurred?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3DfazonCck/
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:22 pm I am okay with it, and it is not partisan, it is common sense to get to the bottom of unresolved issues, especially when you know you are innocent, as Trump says. If Trump was just cleared by Mueller and the left has all but forgotten it, why in the heck would a guilty man who is walking free, keep picking his own scab off if there is potential to expose something he is guilty of....that would be ludicrous of him? That's like returning to the scene of the crime 100x over with everyone watching.
Because he's Donald Trump. And he, like you, and a whole mess of Republican voters, didn't think what Trump did was wrong.

Apologies, but you're all crazy!! :lol: ;)

Why would Nixon send a bunch of morons to break into the DNC at WaterGate? Because he's Nixon.
youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:22 pm If only Obama DID do something like Trump is doing.....to solve a possible political partisan crime and ask leaders to support our efforts. The mere fact he did not, speaks volumes. You should ask yourself why didn't Obama via his AG inquire with Putin and other countries where 'supposed collusion' occurred?
YA, I'm trying to be polite as I can, but how am I supposed to react to your insistence that Obama go to Putin looking for dirt on a party rival? That's like one of the craziest things anyone has posted here.

You want to put the entire 2016 American election in the hands of Vladmir Putin? I just don't know what to say to this suggestion it's so....um......out there.

Btw, Obama did EXACTLY what you THINK you're asking of him. He stayed out the whole investigation of Russian Collusion as best as he could. Comey would have turned in a report of no indictment. It's perfect. No conflict of interest by Obama by having him direct the investigation, and the FBI, happily, clears Trump of colluding with Russians. Obama wins, Trump wins, America wins.

Obama asking V Putin (I still can't believe you're suggesting this) to dig up dirt on Trump is the OPPOSITE of what Obama actually did.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I am not saying that a reply of inquiry from another country would be judge and jury, but PART of an investigations flurry of evidence. Why is that so hard to comprehend and seen as partisan and illegal.

Evidence is evidence....pure and simple. If you do not grasp that that is all I have been saying, then let’s just agree to disagree.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:57 pm I am not saying that a reply of inquiry from another country would be judge and jury, but PART of an investigations flurry of evidence. Why is that so hard to comprehend and seen as partisan and illegal.

Evidence is evidence....pure and simple. If you do not grasp that that is all I have been saying, then let’s just agree to disagree.
No, it would have been flat wrong.

The end does not justify the means.
Not even close.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:57 pm I am not saying that a reply of inquiry from another country would be judge and jury, but PART of an investigations flurry of evidence. Why is that so hard to comprehend and seen as partisan and illegal.

Not even close.
But it’s okay to believe and trust people in the shady/shadows like Steele. Make up our mind.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:10 pm

Not even close.
But it’s okay to believe and trust people in the shady/shadows like Steele. Make up our mind.
I'll stick with what our IC vets as their best judgment, thanks.
Not what an ex-KGB, authoritarian, murderer cooks up...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:15 pm

Not even close.
Thanks for playing political whackamole
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:17 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:15 pm

Not even close.
Thanks for playing political whackamole
Not sure what that means...I'm aiming for brevity, which for me is a rarity...
ggait

Post by ggait »

People inherently don't like opposition research even though it can be quite effective. So the issue is the rules about what is acceptable, and what is legal. Opposition research done by (and paid for) a campaign is legal in almost all cases. It is against the law to accept opposition research from foreigners strictly because it is considered something of _value_ and foreigners cannot contribute money to a US campaign.
Completely legal for the Trump Campaign to use campaign funds to hire the Ukrainian version of Christopher Steele to dig up dirt on Biden. 100% aok. You could even pay Rudy to do the PI work for you.

Completely illegal, however, to be doing that when acting as president and using taxpayer funds. That's corruption, extortion, misapropriating public funds, campaign law violations, etc.

So what Trump did was completely dumb and unnecessary in addition to being completely illegal.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.

Return to “POLITICS”