Orange Duce

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
DocBarrister

Trump & GOP: An Existential Threat to American Democracy

Post by DocBarrister »

There is no longer any respect for the truth in the Republican Party, in the Trump Administration, and certainly none in the Oval Office. Even on our humble forum, we have seen his supporters spew the same despicable, pathologic lies that come from Donald Trump himself.

Trump, his corrupt administration, the Party of Stupid, and their supporters are an existential threat to our democracy. More than any adversarial nation, more than any foreign enemy, they are the greatest threat to our freedoms, our security, and our prosperity. They must be defeated at the polls next year, or else the corrupt detritus of their diseased ideology and delusional lies will forever defile our nation.

Through most of our political history, such a contest between documented facts and proven lies would be lopsided. When President Richard M. Nixon’s lies were exposed by White House tapes, his own Republican Party quickly turned against him. Yet in the past few days Mr. Trump’s propaganda has been embraced and echoed by GOP legislators and conservative media. Against the clear evidence of the transcript, they proclaim: “No quid pro quo!” Despite the abundant proof that neither Mr. Biden nor his son is guilty of wrongdoing in Ukraine, they reiterate dark insinuations about the former vice president’s “conflict of interest.”

... What we could be left with, if Mr. Trump’s strategy succeeds, is a partisan standoff where there is no common ground of accepted facts. Like Russia’s Vladi­mir Putin, who uses lies to cloak his foreign aggressions, Mr. Trump wants to leave Americans with the impression that there is no discernible, objective truth about his behavior, only rival claims by bickering politicians and media in Washington that are best discounted or ignored. He doesn’t need to prove the Bidens are corrupt. He needs only to cast a shadow on the otherwise black-and-white evidence of the transcript.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
kramerica.inc

Re: Orange Duce

Post by kramerica.inc »

It would be nice if the Democrats would nominate a better candidate this go-around.

But not a lot to get excited about. We’ve got Warren Biden or Bernie.

:?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I’m not a huge Trump fan but I’m not sure he’s a threat to my prosperity.

In fact my 401k is killing it. Up 18% this year...WITH the tariffs crapping on the economy.
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:54 am It would be nice if the Democrats would nominate a better candidate this go-around.
Yup. But they can't.
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:56 am I’m not a huge Trump fan but I’m not sure he’s a threat to my prosperity.

In fact my 401k is killing it. Up 18% this year...WITH the tariffs crapping on the economy.
Yes. That's what happens when you borrow, oh, about $3 Trillion, blow it on everything but infrastructure, and then drop the bottom out of corporate taxes. Remember, we have to actually pay back that $18 Billion Trump gave to farmers for no reason.

The problem is, what do we do when the bills come due, and we have to pay the piper for not investing in our children's education, or our infrastructure?

What we are doing isn't sustainable. We're trading future success for current success.

And the worst part is, this is the very best time to rebuild our infrastructure, while rates are low. And we've done nothing, and are falling behind our competitors. Same goes for education.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

We literally have the best opportunity EVER to nominate someone unique, young, forward thinking and qualified.

Instead we get Liz, Joe and Bernie.

Seems like what you’re saying aFan, would make for a huge platform speech. Would be awesome for a candidate to do it or say it.

Wonder when that will happen?!

:lol:
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:08 am We literally have the best opportunity EVER to nominate someone unique, young, forward thinking and qualified.
I agree completely, but I think that ship sailed when guys like Kasich left the stadium, imho. Or a guy like Webb.

The reasonable adults are all gone. They can't get voters to the polls, sadly.

Liz and Joe turn my stomach. Bernie would be fine, if he'd man up and be honest that we'd all pay a lot more to get what he's selling. This whole "the rich will pay for it all" nonsense makes me livid. Grow a pair, and level with people.

Like so many posters here, I just want to pay for what we get. Balance the damn budget. Want to spend more? Fine. Raise taxes. Want lower taxes? Fine. Cut spending. Pick one, or a mix. But this current nonsense has to stop.

My favorite bumper sticker of late is " Vote for Fully Grown Adult 2020"
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The muderous Saudis openly bribe Trump and help direct our Mideast policy. Anyone worse than that?
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Satan?

I thought the best dem candidates are Buttigieg and Yang personally. Combined like 6%
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:23 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:08 am We literally have the best opportunity EVER to nominate someone unique, young, forward thinking and qualified.
I agree completely, but I think that ship sailed when guys like Kasich left the stadium, imho. Or a guy like Webb.

Liz and Joe turn my stomach. Bernie would be fine, if he'd man up and be honest that we'd all pay a lot more to get what he's selling. This whole "the rich will pay for it all" nonsense makes me livid. Grow a pair, and level with people.

Like so many posters here, I just want to pay for what we get. Balance the damn budget. Want to spend more? Fine. Raise taxes. Want lower taxes? Fine. Cut spending. Pick one, or a mix. But this current nonsense has to stop.

As long as the 'adult' still has his or her own marbles, and isn't a corrupt, racist, misogynist...
CU88

Post by CU88 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:56 am I’m not a huge Trump fan but I’m not sure he’s a threat to my prosperity.

so shortsighted
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

CU88 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:27 am

so shortsighted
:lol: Being pleased with the condition of one's 401k is hardly "shortsighted." "It's the economy stupid"... remember that cu88?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:49 am
CU88 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:27 am

so shortsighted
:lol: Being pleased with the condition of one's 401k is hardly "shortsighted." "It's the economy stupid"... remember that cu88?
If you are a day trader, the market's current value is relevant, but if you are talking about the long term economic health of our country, it's a very different issue.

The GOP, my party, used to at least give lip service to that notion, much less the Tea Party...but that's all tossed out the window for all to see.

But sure, tech, the drop from 3% growth to 2% is definitely a drag on Trump's election hopes.
This was predictable after the sugar high wore off.

The market is not yet reflecting the slowdown outlook as there's been a flight of capital from other economies slowing even more. That's propping up market prices, but not the actual economy.

The most serious concern is that the trade 'war' and 'nationalism' rhetoric will devolve into the collapse of international trade, ala what precipitated the Great Depression. Even 10% of that issue is very, very damaging.

Meanwhile we rack up debts at a very alarming rate and deal with none of our underlying structural vulnerabilities.

It's downright unpatriotic, but there we are.
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:49 am :lol: Being pleased with the condition of one's 401k is hardly "shortsighted." "It's the economy stupid"... remember that cu88?
It is if you're planning on cashing it in in 20 years, instead of today. But you know that.

I worry for any of us who have to cash in in 20 years, and have to depend on a functioning Medicare to keep healthy.

If all that matters is how the economy is doing this very day, the wise thing to do is cut taxes by 90%. That sound wise to you?

No. Long term matters. And a 401K is the literal long term investment plan.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I agree afan.

At the time, in the old LP days I had Kasich as my winner. Got beat up by many for that because he likely couldn’t have beat Hillary and seemed to waffle and get tripped up a bit more than your standard politician....but that’s one of the things I liked about him because you knew he was thinking about it.

Webb would have been a great statesman.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

How did you do over Obama’s tenure? Where was it when he came in and when he left?

https://www.macrotrends.net/2481/stock- ... -president

Didn’t help the “Dems”.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:04 pm I agree afan.

At the time, in the old LP days I had Kasich as my winner. Got beat up by many for that because he likely couldn’t have beat Hillary and seemed to waffle and get tripped up a bit more than your standard politician....but that’s one of the things I liked about him because you knew he was thinking about it.

Webb would have been a great statesman.
Webb would have been a great President.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:19 pm

Ahh, a "functioning" adult.

Return to “POLITICS”