Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FactChecker

Re: Navy 2020

Post by FactChecker »

oldjayfan wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:05 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:50 pm RTP. Catching up on news.

Very classy adding Furman. Super impressed.

W
Excellent indeed! Great for SOS and a possible "W" !!
Furman was 58th in RPI last season. Manhattan was 68th last season. How is that "great for SOS"?
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

thatsmell wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:47 am Class move by the new Mids coaching staff.

I assume Cht will attend this game, right?
CHT will act like he is Meade’s best friend and I can guarantee you that a public appearance with lots of cameras around spinning this . He will be surrounded by the NAAA deep state putting on their best sincere faces . It will all be a charade :roll: .

Concur its a Class Move .. well played by the new coaching staff !

Next stop Hofstra @ 900 !

“T”
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Yep
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Tecumseh wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:48 am
thatsmell wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:47 am Class move by the new Mids coaching staff.

I assume Cht will attend this game, right?
CHT will act like he is Meade’s best friend and I can guarantee you that a public appearance with lots of cameras around spinning this . He will be surrounded by the NAAA deep state putting on their best sincere faces . It will all be a charade :roll: .

Concur its a Class Move .. well played by the new coaching staff !

Next stop Hofstra @ 900 !

“T”
OCanada » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:41 pm

Yep
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

FactChecker wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:12 am

W
Furman was 58th in RPI last season. Manhattan was 68th last season. How is that "great for SOS"?
Welcome to the wonderful world of sarcasm!!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:07 pm
FactChecker wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:12 am

W
Welcome to the wonderful world of sarcasm!!
This is how Army/Leigh have done their schedules for years. They will then each filter in 2-3 tougher OOC opponents.
ARMY:
2019 - Marist, Binghamton and NJIT
2018 - Umass, NJIT
2017 - Umass, VMI, NJIT
2016 - Same

LEHGIH:
2019 - NJIT, St. Bonaventure
2018 - NJIT Mercer

Over the past handful years Navy has not had a team like VMI, NJIT, St. Bonaventure, Marist in the regular season. They were replaced with OOC teams of UPenn, Princeton, Delaware, Jax. In 2016 when they did make it deep in the NCAA tourney, their OOC games were AF, Sacred Heart, Delaware, and the long standing two of Hop and Terps.

Because so much weight is put on wins and losses, after the AQ is first determined, it becomes challenging to pick your OOC match ups in a league filled with 9 programs. The PL really needs American U to have a Mens team to get it to 10, and then break it into two brackets with x-over games.

I think the schedule benefits the entire program as a whole. It provides a healthy dose of early season winnable games, followed by some really good team scrimmages in Gtown, Jax, UNC, UPenn, UD...followed by some more winnable games, just before you get into the really tough part of the schedule. It also helps our PL bye slot finally changes from being the last week of the year.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

... & in 2016, Navy received the final at large bid thanks to a W over Air Force, in a season in which AF's RPI made them a Top 20 RPI opponent.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

The Orfling wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:40 pm Hello fellow Navy MLax fans! Emerging from a period of lax hibernation, including on this board. A few thoughts:

1. Welcome to Coach Joe Amplo! He seems like a great fit for the unique demands of the Navy job and he’s assembled a great coaching staff. He’s known as “one of the good guys” in college lacrosse and has had plenty of challenges at Marquette such that he not only should be able to deal with the constraints of service academy athletics but might be excited about some of the real advantages (e.g. geography, history) of coaching at Navy. I’m looking forward to seeing the product on the field in the Amplo era.

2. My suggestion for “if the coaching staff reads FanLax” (which they almost assuredly do not!): If it is not already under way, undertake a serious re-evaluation of the pros and cons of NAPS for MLax. Perhaps there is no way of truly measuring if a kid who pulls the ripcord from NAPS would do the same from USNA itself, but living a year in a sort of limbo while other college programs’ coaches “check to see how you are doing” (looking at you, John Tillman) seems like it makes the off ramp awfully easy. If they have the academic chops (and maybe that’s the sticking point), I’d like to see Navy go with the direct admit model more of the time. Get ‘em on the Yard, get them part of the brotherhood/sisterhood, get them playing big time lacrosse right away instead of the truncated schedule with a jury-rigged squad at NAPS, and wouldn’t more of them stay? I would think a fair amount of the lax recruits could hack it academically and would stick with Navy. Maybe that’s way off base but it’s a thought.

3. Fair winds and following seas to the prior coaching staff. Good luck to Coach Wellner in his new job (Notre Dame is getting a good one) and best of luck to Coach Sowell and his family. There’s been a lot of well-deserved love on this forum for Coach Wellner, but it also speaks well of Coach Sowell that he identified Coach Wellner as a coaching talent and that he and Wellner worked together for 11 years at two programs. The coaching staff did an excellent job recruiting and both the HC and the assistants out on the trail should get credit for that. Coach Sowell was candid that the dismissal came as a shock to him and it’s not surprising he felt somewhat salty about it — even Starsia, one of the nicest guys around, struggled with a goodbye not on his own terms. Sowell and his staff delivered an exciting NCAA appearance that was a credit to them as well as to the players, and will be a good highlight of his tenure for him to remember proudly.

4. I think Coach Sowell had a fair chance in terms of time — 8 years is a good chance to show your stuff — and I ultimately felt that he was hamstrung by not being willing to allow more autonomy to an offensive coordinator. As many discussed, most eloquently youthathletics, the team did not innovate over the course of a season and was awfully predictable. It’s not a good sign when a team habitually has less success as a season wears on. Style-wise, Coach Sowell has a laser focus on lacrosse and a “just the facts” persona that ultimately probably wasn’t quite right for a service academy where it’s important for successful coaches to openly embrace the service academy mission and the culture that goes with it. In part because of that style, but also because of anger over the ousting of Richie Meade, Sowell took a lot of hits, at least in the online world. Some justified (on field tactics/practice plan stagnancy), some unjustified in my view: Sowell did not fire Richie Meade and the schadenfreude occasionally on display when the on-field results weren’t there was disappointing.

5. For the Oldjays of the world, who believe “what’s good for the goose is good for the gander”: on the one hand, people on old LaxPower and then here relitigated the Meade firing/Sowell hiring for 8 years (and beyond). So the “move on already” message might seem a little forced or even hypocritical. However, I’d say now as I said then: this new coach did not fire anybody. He’s coming in and he’s doing his best for Navy lacrosse. The more we can celebrate the successes of the Navy players, the worse for the page count, maybe, but the better for this program we support.

Let’s go Navy!
Very well done piece by Matt Kinear :

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... pmen/55398

I'm very excited for seeing them play this Saturday !

Fore
"T"
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

+1...and then some.

OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I am totally onboard with the new coach. All the new coaches in several sports really.
Last edited by OCanada on Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Looking forward to seeing the Midshipmen in action on Saturday. Who are the players to watch?
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I was crossing sports too. A house close by was rented for the new FB defensive coaches while their housing was being prepared. Got to spend some time with them
Last edited by OCanada on Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

W
How does adding a 4-10 SOS #55 team improve your prospects?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
old salt

Post by old salt »

laxxygilmore wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:58 pm Oh, all of them ;) :) ...

https://navysports.com/roster.aspx?path=mlax

GO MIDS!
.:shock:. ...a complete roster, posted before the first fallball scrimmage.
No forensic sleuthing required. This is too ez. Thank You.
old salt

Post by old salt »

The Brotherhood is back. Check out #12 & #54.

From the bio of #21 Nick Cole, soph :
https://navysports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=15865

More on {Nick) Cole: A 2018 graduate of Stone Bridge High School in Ashburn, Va., Cole was a four-year lacrosse letterwinner ... he was a three-time (2016-17-18) First-Team All-State (Va.) midfielder and garnered All-American honors his senior year ... he was also named the Virginia State Player of the Year in 2018 ... served as team captain his junior and senior years ... helped lead Stone Bridge High School to the 2015 Virginia 5A state title ... also considered Army ... member of the National Honor Society ... brother, Dominic, is a senior at Stone Bridge High School and is planning to attend and play lacrosse at Army next year :lol: ... father, Terry, played lacrosse at RIT ‘91 ... owns a 3.22 grade-point average and was named to the Commandant’s List following the fall semester ... son of Terry and Joy Cole.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

+1 oldsalt. Nice to see RS and past staff continued to bring in strong potential.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... pmen/55398

...the roster is big. There were 64 players listed on the fall roster — 23 of them plebes.
“With what these guys sacrifice, if they want to come out here and compete I’m going to let them,” he says.
BZ Coach .:!:.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Happy 244th, shipmates!

W, Civ.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

How to really enjoy your work:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”